PDA

View Full Version : Router drops conntion - DHCP renew works but why?

Chuck
19-05-2011, 04:24
My connection has been fine for ages but recently my router (Linksys WRT54GS) drops the internet connection. If I go onto the router and do a DHCP release then renew the connection comes back no problem. Any ideas?

I am a Telewest customer, in the BS30 area (no issues reported). When I am connected speeds are good, speedtest says 19.46mbps down and 1.97mbps up.

I have check the modem setting and:
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 104
Downstream Frequency : 323000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 9.7 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 40.5 dB

which looks Ok from what I can tell.

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 35800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 5120 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 55.2 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 4

is the upstream power too much? Is this a cause or just coincidence?

(I tried looking at the modem logs but it was beyond me!)

Any help would be good as it is happening pretty much once a day now!

Mick Fisher
19-05-2011, 14:37
Your power levels are borderline but probably within spec.

I had the same problem using the same modem and router. I believe it was caused by the connection continually dropping and reconnecting.

craigj2k12
19-05-2011, 14:41
the upstream power is too high, and IMO the downstream is, but its within VM spec

Chuck
19-05-2011, 17:16
So should I report the upstream power?

craigj2k12
19-05-2011, 17:26
So should I report the upstream power?

you will just need to ring up and they should spot it and book you an engineer

when he comes he will probably adjust the downstream power as well

Mick Fisher
19-05-2011, 18:03
you will just need to ring up and they should spot it and book you an engineer

when he comes he will probably adjust the downstream power as well
Ask him to check any splitters in the line and the isolator. Of course it may just be your modem having difficulties if you are on the overlay network. Do you ever suffer with your ready light flashing even though your net is working. That's a good indication of the condition.

Chuck
19-05-2011, 20:15
We have one cable coming into the house which is split with a digitap into two cables, one for broadband one for the tv. Each cable has 3.5db written on the digitap. What is the best way to raise it with virgin, email with the figures attached?

Oh I haven't seen the light flashing but I can't see the modem as it is behind the computer! I will keep an eye out!

craigj2k12
19-05-2011, 20:26
We have one cable coming into the house which is split with a digitap into two cables, one for broadband one for the tv. Each cable has 3.5db written on the digitap. What is the best way to raise it with virgin, email with the figures attached?

Oh I haven't seen the light flashing but I can't see the modem as it is behind the computer! I will keep an eye out!

ring up tech support and tell them the issues you have been having, they will see the power levels from their computer and book you a tech

Mick Fisher
19-05-2011, 20:52

Just remind the Tech about them. He should have spares on his van and will just replace with new.
Apparently isolators can be damaged by lightning.

Chrysalis
20-05-2011, 05:36
the modem probably dropped.

if the modem has an outage and especially if it comes back on a new ip then the router will either need a reboot or a dhcp renew. eg. when I swap the superhub and vmng300 I hit dhcp renew on the router to get access back again. The dhcp release probably isnt needed.

Chuck
27-05-2011, 10:27
Called Virgin Media on Tuesday and after a long call basically got told it was fixed because I had rebooted my modem!! Despite trying to tell the agent that it works but drops and asked about the power levels he was adamant it was fixed!!

Called again today and agent tried the same, asked and asked for him to look at the power and eventually he did and now have engineer booked for next week!!!

One question if I do the upgrade to 30mbps will the power for my Ambit and the new modem/router be the same or should I get it swapped at the same time?

Welshchris
27-05-2011, 13:39
the modem should get swapped for a superhub and tell the engineer when he is there to look at the power levels.

Chuck
02-06-2011, 20:28
I signed up for a superhub from "My VirginMedia" as it said it was free, completed the online form, got a couple of emails then got a superhub delivered. Checked my bill which had a one off charge of £75!! Called Virgin and they said thats what a superhub costs, but they never told me that!! Usual billing joke, anyway complained and they waived the fee.

Engineer came today, upsteam power was 57.8, after being moved in the floor box in the road down to 46.9, so should be happy days!!

Mick Fisher
03-06-2011, 08:36
Hopefully, see how it goes for a few days.