PDA

View Full Version : Broadband pricing rant.

cooltt18
18-05-2011, 15:57
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put this but could i just get some points of view please.

My current package is £33 for TV L and BB L(10 megs).
i don't watch TV much so wanted a better deal because i keep getting their promo fliers throught the door.

Anyway after going through to account closures because i'm not happy paying that for just 2 services the quite abrupt woman from this country started slagging off all other BB providers etc. and saying i won't get BB for lower than £21 from Virgin or anyone else. After pointing out she was wrong and giving her examples of Sky and BT we finally settled on just BB L for £21 but i'm still not happy because she hasn't done me any favours really. Also she said they will collect my TV equipment in a month.

Two questions
After the 12month contract i thought the equipment is mine and should i just call back and cancel the BB too and see if they give me a better offer?

Hot_slim_buxom
18-05-2011, 16:01
Charge them a storage fee (but inform them of this first)

So ring in and say after 7 days a storage fee of £2 a day will be charged. I know someone who actually got away with this with bt lol.

Oh and 10Mb price varies from £5 via ADSL providers to £21 with virgin. BUT the £5 would require a phoneline for around a tenner.

pip08456
18-05-2011, 16:03
a) The equipment remains the propery of VM at all times.

b) Sounds like you got a good deal, if you don't like it go elsewhere. Your call!

Gary L
18-05-2011, 16:04
She hasn't done you any favours at all. £21 is the standard price for 10MB.

the equipment all belongs to them.
I'd call again and ask for a better deal.

Hot_slim_buxom
18-05-2011, 16:04
a) The equipment remains the propery of VM at all times.

b) Sounds like you got a good deal, if you don't like it go elsewhere. Your call!
A good deal?

10Mb bb and no phoneline for £21...when does that become a good deal lol.

pip08456
18-05-2011, 16:08
A good deal?

10Mb bb and no phoneline for £21...when does that become a good deal lol.

It becomes a good deal when you don't want to change ISP!

If you can get it cheaper elsewhere then go!

danielf
18-05-2011, 16:09
I get nearly 24Mb* from Be for £18.26 :shrug:

* But I'm lucky in living very near the exchange.

pip08456
18-05-2011, 16:10
I get nearly 24Mb* from Be for £18.26 :shrug:

* But I'm lucky in living very near the exchange.

And your phone line rental is?

Gary L
18-05-2011, 16:10
It becomes a good deal when you don't want to change ISP!

If you can get it cheaper elsewhere then go!

LOL! chill!

pip08456
18-05-2011, 16:13
I'm chilled, I'm no longer with VM.

danielf states £18.26 for his connection but forgets he HAS to have a phone line to be able to get it but conveniently ignores the cost of that.

Hot_slim_buxom
18-05-2011, 16:15

Typical you don't even have Virginmedia services but probably constantly comment on VM services or customer issues. I'm sure there will be a forum for your provider.

But I agree you need to chillout. Why tell him to go elsewhere?

danielf
18-05-2011, 16:18

danielf states £18.26 for his connection but forgets he HAS to have a phone line to be able to get it but conveniently ignores the cost of that.

Not so much conveniently as I simply forgot about it. Mind you, the OP might still have a BT line, so it may or may not be relevant.

pip08456
18-05-2011, 16:22
I comment on VM services as I was a customer until last month. I had my reasons for changing my supplier but it was not due to the service I received from VM.

There is a forum for my present provider which I do visit.

I still visit here to both help and if I think necessary criticise VM. If you don't like it by all means put me on your ignore list.

I will also add I was for a short period the top Kudoed poster on VM's website due to the help and assistance I gave there.

Just checked, I'm still ranked all time 2nd. http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/kudos/kudosleaderboardpage/board-id/50mb/timerange/all/tab/authors

Gary L
18-05-2011, 16:23
I will also add I was for a short period the top Kudoed poster on VM's website due to the help and assistance I gave there.

You'll know Carl, then :)

Hot_slim_buxom
18-05-2011, 16:24
I comment on VM services as I was a customer until last month. I had my reasons for changing my supplier but it was not due to the service I received from VM.

There is a forum for my present provider which I do visit.

I still visit here to both help and if I think necessary criticise VM. If you don't like it by all means put me on your ignore list.

Ok no one cares why you left VM. Leave VM customers alone go and help people on your current Isp.

Nothing worse than a ex customer who cant move on..LET IT GO PIP....VM is no longer something you need to think or worry about.

Hugh
18-05-2011, 16:24
Not in the biblical sense, hopefully......:D

Hot_slim_buxom
18-05-2011, 16:25

lol....if only you knew.

pip08456
18-05-2011, 16:27
Ok no one cares why you left VM. Leave VM customers alone go and help people on your current Isp.

Nothing worse than a ex customer who cant move on..LET IT GO PIP....VM is no longer something you need to think or worry about.

What makes you think I cannot still help anyone here?

Not in the biblical sense, hopefully......:D

Thankfully not:D:D:D

Sirius
18-05-2011, 16:54

I think its you that needs to CHILL

End of the day the customer has been given an option, They have the choice to take whats on offer or phone back and hope they get a better offer or move providers. So instead of everyone trying to win points of each other try HELPING the OP

TJS
18-05-2011, 17:10
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put this but could i just get some points of view please.

My current package is £33 for TV L and BB L(10 megs).
i don't watch TV much so wanted a better deal because i keep getting their promo fliers throught the door.

Anyway after going through to account closures because i'm not happy paying that for just 2 services the quite abrupt woman from this country started slagging off all other BB providers etc. and saying i won't get BB for lower than £21 from Virgin or anyone else. After pointing out she was wrong and giving her examples of Sky and BT we finally settled on just BB L for £21 but i'm still not happy because she hasn't done me any favours really. Also she said they will collect my TV equipment in a month.

Two questions
After the 12month contract i thought the equipment is mine and should i just call back and cancel the BB too and see if they give me a better offer?

Its a good deal, other isp costs don't tent to include the price of line rental; and it's very rare to get close to advertised speeds on DSL

---------- Post added at 16:10 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

e.g. on B.T. We used to pay £28.00 for Option 3 up to 20 mb DSL (only isp available in the area i used to live) then £10 line rental ontop of that. £38 total

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/89.png

That is my speedtest result just before moving to virgin

Virgin media up to 50 MB £25 a month; £12.50 line rental £37.50

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/90.png
*edited so both speedtests are on the same server for reference

Now seriously. which one looks better value now. virgin media is down right the best isp in england.

torrents ive seen transfer at 6.2 MB/s any time of the day people complain about virgin limiting p2p; but i have not hd this at all on virgin, on BT a torrent would max out at 64 Kb/s

Your line speed on dsl is determined by so many factors most of which are not controllable by your isp (unless you are with BT; for example and then they charge you call out fees) so your line speed can suffer.

The dreaded "10 day settling in" on dsl, where you get high speed and then suddenly see your internet speed plummet as an automated system decides your phoneline is too poor quality.

Customer services on Virgin; while they may be based in india the people are understandable and polite, unlike tiscali, AOL, BT which we have had in the past.

People on virgin who complain about there speeds or prices who have never been with an isp other then virgin before will be in for a big shock when they see what else is up for offer.

pip08456
18-05-2011, 17:28
You get 50Mb down and 4.60 up, I average 38 down and 8 up. As upload is more important to me then for me BT is better. That's just my needs not everyone elses.

At the end of this year BT are going to be doulbling the speeds obviously to compete with VM's 100Mb offering.

Be are currently rated the best ISP by the ISPA.

Horses for courses.

Hot_slim_buxom
18-05-2011, 17:31
You get 50Mb down and 4.60 up, I average 38 down and 8 up. As upload is more important to me then for me BT is better. That's just my needs not everyone elses.

At the end of this year BT are going to be doulbling the speeds obviously to compete with VM's 100Mb offering.

Be are currently rated the best ISP by the ISPA.

Horses for courses.

I think your post would be more useful in the "OTHER ISP" section or another forum.

pip08456
18-05-2011, 17:34
As I was replying to a post by TJS in this thread it would be a bit pointless putting it elsewhere.

Hot_slim_buxom
18-05-2011, 17:38
As I was replying to a post by TJS in this thread it would be a bit pointless putting it elsewhere.

Oh ok. but by the time BT are offering 100/10 vm Will be rollng out 200/20. Virginmedia is an outstanding service through and through.

They may suffer problems due to being at the cutting edge in the UK but atleast they try.Oh and im a real life VM CUSTOMER ;)

Sirius
18-05-2011, 17:39
I think your post would be more useful in the "OTHER ISP" section or another forum.

And yours in "How to make friends and influence people" :LOL:

I have never put a user on ignore until the other week and that was telford cable but like buses when you want one 2 come along at the same time and i now have 2 on ignore ;)

pip08456
18-05-2011, 17:43
Oh ok. but by the time BT are offering 100/10 vm Will be rollng out 200/20. Virginmedia is an outstanding service through and through.

They may suffer problems due to being at the cutting edge in the UK but atleast they try.Oh and im a real life VM CUSTOMER ;)

At no time have I said VM are a bad ISP!

Hot_slim_buxom
18-05-2011, 17:48
At no time have I said VM are a bad ISP!

Wahooo we agree. Virginmedia are a good ISP.

cooltt18
18-05-2011, 17:49
OK then thanks for all the replies i can't be bothered to go another 5 rounds with their customer service.

i've had a good look round and £21 is't that bad for unlimited DL etc..I just don't see why they should charge £21 for just broadband when you can have all 3 services for £30 or whatever. Same cable and all that.

Thanks again.

pip08456
18-05-2011, 17:52
Wahooo we agree. Virginmedia are a good ISP.

And?

---------- Post added at 16:52 ---------- Previous post was at 16:51 ----------

OK then thanks for all the replies i can't be bothered to go another 5 rounds with their customer service.

i've had a good look round and £21 is't that bad for unlimited DL etc..I just don't see why they should charge £21 for just broadband when you can have all 3 services for £30 or whatever. Same cable and all that.

Thanks again.

That's due to bundle discounts.

Hot_slim_buxom
18-05-2011, 17:52

Thanks again.
Well dont forget VM upto 10Mb is probably very very close to 10Mb. Bt upto 10mb may well be 1mb.

Also if you have 10Mba nd phone its around £25 so thats a pretty good deal for unlimited 10mb which will probably be atleast 8.5mb.

Stephen
18-05-2011, 17:53

Thanks again.
Thats because they give you discounts when you take more than one product. :)

pip08456
18-05-2011, 17:56
Well dont forget VM upto 10Mb is probably very very close to 10Mb. Bt upto 10mb may well be 1mb.

Also if you have 10Mba nd phone its around £25 so thats a pretty good deal for unlimited 10mb which will probably be atleast 8.5mb.

At present I'm paying c. £40pm for up to 40Mb up and 10 down including free calls 24/7 even for 0845 numbers.

I posted my average speeds earlier so see no reason to reiterate.

Should this comment be in other ISP's section?

Forgot to add, UNLIMITED downloads as well!

kwikbreaks
18-05-2011, 17:57
They charge £21 because they can. You've already said it's not a bad price.

To make things worse though the phone is a totally separate cable....

The saving from dropping the phone is deliberately low because you are depriving them of the option of charging for calls which isn't competitive at all imo.

Hot_slim_buxom
18-05-2011, 17:57
At present I'm paying c. £40pm for up to 40Mb up and 10 down including free calls 24/7 even for 0845 numbers.

I posted my average speeds earlier so see no reason to reiterate.

Should this comment be in other ISP's section?

Sorry I was replying to the OP.

pip08456
18-05-2011, 18:01
I know you were but I was also making an on topic comment. You need to get a grip!

Hot_slim_buxom
18-05-2011, 18:02
I know you were but I was also making an on topic comment. You need to get a grip!

LOL..I really seem to wind you up hey, but yeah you seem to get a really good deal from BT. Infinty seems like a good product.

pip08456
18-05-2011, 18:05
You notice I'm not saying it's better for everyone? Just for my needs.

Hot_slim_buxom
18-05-2011, 18:07
You notice I'm not saying it's better for everyone? Just for my needs.

Cool its good that you got a great service. I hope eventually Infinity can offer a service as good VM's my mate has it and I remember a time he was saying he was limited to 2Mb lol. But I assume its a bit better now?

Anyway were off topic now, this is the CABLE INTERNET section not adsl lol. Its the same as talking about Sky tv on the VMtv section.

pip08456
18-05-2011, 18:08
From my point of view they alredy do, if not better.