PDA

View Full Version : Clicking in my chest sometimes when breathing in deeply

AbyssUnderground
17-05-2011, 19:03
Hi all,

For the last few days sometimes when I breathe in deeply I get a pain in the top left of my chest. If I breathe in enough it "clicks" and the pain stops. It feels like my ribs or something rubbing and clicking as enough force is put on it from the breathing in.

Does anyone have any idea what this may be or whether it could be serious, or has anyone else had this?

Besides that clicking I feel fine so I don't think it's too serious but I'd like a bit of assurance from anyone else that may have had it.

Thanks all.

Maggy
17-05-2011, 19:05
Can I make an obvious suggestion?

See a doctor.

That's it..it's the best way to put your mind at rest.:)

AbyssUnderground
17-05-2011, 19:08
Yeah I know, but it's hard to get an appointment so it's not going to be later in the week I can get one. I was hoping it would have gone away by now which is why I haven't, and also why I decided to ask here if anyone else has had it before.

Jimmy-J
17-05-2011, 19:16
Have you been doing any exercise lately?

AbyssUnderground
17-05-2011, 19:17
I don't think I've properly exercised in years, so the answer would be no.

Sasha222
17-05-2011, 19:17
Hi all,

For the last few days sometimes when I breathe in deeply I get a pain in the top left of my chest. If I breathe in enough it "clicks" and the pain stops. It feels like my ribs or something rubbing and clicking as enough force is put on it from the breathing in.

Does anyone have any idea what this may be or whether it could be serious, or has anyone else had this?

Besides that clicking I feel fine so I don't think it's too serious but I'd like a bit of assurance from anyone else that may have had it.

Thanks all.

Have you banged that part recently? Can you not go to an out of hours doctor to get it checked? Or go to the out patients in a hospital? Anything to ease your mind

AbyssUnderground
17-05-2011, 19:21
Not to my knowledge no, otherwise I would have put it down to that :(

Sasha222
17-05-2011, 19:22
Not to my knowledge no, otherwise I would have put it down to that :(

Best to get it sorted by someone medical and that will ease your mind ;)

Jimmy-J
17-05-2011, 19:24
It looks like it's a pretty common thing. Link (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=clicking+in+my+chest&hl=en&biw=1345&bih=895&tbm=vid&prmd=ivnsfd&source=lnms&ei=QbrSTcSpK8rKtAalooG4CQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=3&ved=0CC0Q_AUoAg#q=clicking+in+my+chest&hl=en&biw=1345&bih=895&prmd=ivnsfd&source=lnms&ei=XbrSTbXRN8-t8QPMxsjnCg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=1&ved=0CDMQ_AUoAA&fp=ba67f0d5f6cca76c)

Why not give NHS Direct a call on 0845 4647

devilincarnate
17-05-2011, 19:29
Best to get it checked out.

AbyssUnderground
17-05-2011, 19:34
It only happens when I breathe in, when it's clicked it stops for a while. At some point it "resets" it's position and begins to hurt again until it gets clicked. Suggestions from a google search says it could be a loose rib caused by damaged cartilage. The only thing that could have caused it is leaning over my couch to pick something up and leaning on the part that is clicking.

Since posting this it hasn't done it again but it's done it a few times throughout the day.

Kymmy
17-05-2011, 19:37
Sounds just like a bit of congestion perhaps a slight infection causing a bit of fluid in the lungs..

My advice though is always the same.. Either ring up NHS direct or go see your GP as no-one should trust health advice from a non-professional

danielf
17-05-2011, 19:39
I would back up all my data, just in case your hard drive is on its way out. ;)

AbyssUnderground
17-05-2011, 19:45
Haha, if only :)

I've just been on the NHS direct site and gone through the section on chest pain.

"Based on the answers you have provided, your symptoms do not give cause for immediate concern, and you should be able to wait for the call back. Please enter your details and continue to our self-care advice for more information on looking after yourself whilst you wait."

I'm going to give NHS direct a call anyway and see what they say.

---------- Post added at 19:45 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

OK just rang and they said the queue for a call back was at least 4 hours! :shocked: No point me waiting for that long. I guess I'll see how it goes tomorrow and then make an appointment if it's still no better.

LSainsbury
17-05-2011, 19:56
Might be this (http://www.emedicinehealth.com/costochondritis/article_em.htm)- which I get now and again....

My money is on that - let us know what the docs say..

AbyssUnderground
17-05-2011, 20:04
Does sound possible but doesn't explain the clicking I get. I've forced myself to sit up dead straight for the past hour and it's not happened since so it could have something to do with my bad posture too.

Welshchris
17-05-2011, 20:48
best get it checked out...

Hopefully u will be fine u never know it could just be one hell of an explosive fart waiting for the right positioning and posture to come blasting out.

AbyssUnderground
17-05-2011, 20:50
I hope so :) Just had a nice hot bath which probably made no difference but make me smell nicer :) And it's still not done it since which is a good sign I guess. I'll try and get myself an appointment for some time this week if they have a slot.

Welshchris
17-05-2011, 21:02
u should have done it in the bath then u could have had a jucuzzi.

Sasha222
17-05-2011, 21:06
I hope so :) Just had a nice hot bath which probably made no difference but make me smell nicer :) And it's still not done it since which is a good sign I guess. I'll try and get myself an appointment for some time this week if they have a slot.

Why dont you put a hot water jar wrapped in a towel on the area thats sore and that should ease the pain

AbyssUnderground
17-05-2011, 21:11
There isn't any pain except when it's about to click because I've taken a deep breath. Once it's clicked the pain stops and I can keep doing heavy deep breaths all night long until whatever it is clicking dislodges again. That's what is confusing me as to what it could be.

And what makes you think I didn't let rip in the bath? ;)

LondonRoad
17-05-2011, 22:41
That's happened to me before. It's probably nothing more than an alien's egg growing inside your body. Once they pop out your chest you won't notice the pain.:shocked:

Seriously though see the quack. That'll put your mind at ease.;)

Mr_love_monkey
18-05-2011, 07:39
have you swallowed a watch recently?

Welshchris
18-05-2011, 08:20
have you swallowed a watch recently?

if he has he should have been 'watching' what he was doing.

get it watching lol

Sasha222
18-05-2011, 09:19

get it watching lol

He will never be lost for time again :D:D:D

Mr_love_monkey
18-05-2011, 09:26

get it watching lol

Don't make jokes, you'll just wind him up.....

Sasha222
18-05-2011, 09:27
I think you can safely say you have done that :D:D

Ramrod
18-05-2011, 12:41
Might be this (http://www.emedicinehealth.com/costochondritis/article_em.htm)- which I get now and again....That one tends not to give clicking........
Is the clicking/pain fairly superficial perhaps in the rib area or is it deeper, in the lung?

Barewolf
18-05-2011, 13:43
Hi all,

Thanks all.

If it puts your mind at rest, Ive had it. It will go away on its own.

I got it by coughing too hard, its something to do with the space between your ribs. its held together with a membrane which can sometimes seperate or tear, and thats what causes the click sensation.

it worried me also when i had it but it goes on its own. the Dr will probably tell you over the phone if you dont want to try and get an appointment.

sophia.lawson
14-06-2014, 17:27
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precordial_catch_syndrome Could be this, I have it to and get clicking in my chest about once a month for the past 10 years, I don't think it's anything serious to worry about :)

alanbjames
14-06-2014, 17:43
it could be Pneumonia. When i had Pneumonia what i perceived as clicking was crackling of water in the lungs.

Russ
14-06-2014, 17:44
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precordial_catch_syndrome Could be this, I have it to and get clicking in my chest about once a month for the past 10 years, I don't think it's anything serious to worry about :)

Whilst I think any advice will always be welcome please could you check the date of threads before posting in them... :)

heero_yuy
14-06-2014, 17:48

Probably rale (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/rale)

BTW welcome to the forums.