PDA

View Full Version : Superhub another superhub should I or shouldn't I question.

callanish
17-05-2011, 14:37
I'm on Virgin's VIP service 20MB broadband and have been holding out to upgrade to either the 30mb or 50mb service due to the superhub and the problems that seem to be out there with it on the forum.

The recent upload upgrade in my area that I got was an incentive to think about faster broadband as I use a slingbox and the faster upload speeds produce better streaming video quality.

The point is when you have a consistent stable connection as I do with the ambit 256 on the 20mb service, if you were in my shoes, would you just wait it out until virgin provides the superhub with the ability to use your own router rather than upsetting the applecart by taking a leap of faith?

Certain things like disabling ip flooding and disabling the firewall seem to help the wired connection's stability, but the wireless problems seem to be all over the map with dropped connections.

Should I just not tempt fate, be happy with what I've got and wait until the superhub firmware matures before I even think about taking the plunge, because I need my slingbox and my wi-fi to function perfectly and at this point don't have a lot of confidence in the superhub based on what I'm reading.

With that, I've probably answered my own question, but if someone had to take an educated guess, do you think things will eventually get sorted with the superhub where we'll start to see a drastic drop in the complaints due to virgin fixing the various issues going around the forum or is the hardware itself just too much of a hit or a miss that it would be better just waiting for V2.0.

Stephen
17-05-2011, 15:26
Hi, some people are having problems but it's not as widespread as they seem to think it is.

Now am sure they will try to say it's just because I work for VM but the superhub has been great for me. Wireless works brilliantly too.

At the end of the day it's up to you, modem mode for the superhub should be along fairly soon and you will be able to use any router you want instead of the superhub router functions.

craigj2k12
17-05-2011, 15:48
with any setup that requires more than 1 computer, especially using wireless, you might as well not bother with the superhub. If your using one computer and only doing general web browsing, the superhub will be more than adequate, however, if your doing just browsing, then why would you need any more than 10mb, therefore why would you need a superhub?

Stephen
17-05-2011, 15:59
I am sorry but Craig could you stop posting so negatively about the superhub, fair enough you are entitled to post your opinions but you don't need to tell people not to get it. Which is all you seem to do.

To the OP I and many others run the superhub with various things connected both wired & wirelessly with no problems at all. I have used my wireless network to transfer files up to 4Gb in size and my connection has not dropped out.

LondonRoad
17-05-2011, 16:07
I've got one due to arrive today. I'm looking forward to a bit more speed.:)

craigj2k12
17-05-2011, 16:07
i didnt say dont get it, i just meant i dont recommend it if your doing advanced stuff.

you say you transferred 4gb over wireless, was that in 300n mode or 145?

Tony.
17-05-2011, 16:42
I have the superhub and with 4 people playing warcraft wirelessly had no issues. hth

Stephen
17-05-2011, 16:53
300 and I have wireless set to auto and its worked solidly for about 6 months. Bar my mobile phone and PS3 everything that connects is on wireless N.

vmfriend
17-05-2011, 17:53
I have had no issues with my super hub (that i am aware of) and have 2 laptops and an iPad connected wirelessly and 2 xboxes connected by Ethernet.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Skie
17-05-2011, 17:56
I work with a guy who uses a superhub and he seems to think the wireless range is as if the signal projects in a cone from each end rather than all around.

I'm not willing to hook mine back up and try (its all in the attic and wouldn't help me anyway as the hub would have to be in a precarious position to be 'aimed' at the devices that need it and some would be out of the cone anyway). But if anyone is having poor wireless reception it may be worth trying it in a few different positions.

Personally I'd advise you hold off and watch the forum. If the impending modem mode works then go for it, the modem side of the hub should be pretty decent when all the extra stuff virgin have it doing (poorly) is disabled. A stand-alone router will always be better.

Sirius
17-05-2011, 17:56
:LOL:

Wait till the rest of the super hub experts arrive ;)

LondonRoad
17-05-2011, 18:11
My new shiney hub was waiting for me when I got home from work. Less than half an hour from opening the box until fully activated.

Tested with speedtest.net and getting a steady 30Mb down on my wired PC and 15MB on the netbook I'm using just now.

An hour into superhub ownership I'm happy. :D

craigj2k12
17-05-2011, 18:17
My new shiney hub was waiting for me when I got home from work. Less than half an hour from opening the box until fully activated.

Tested with speedtest.net and getting a steady 30Mb down on my wired PC and 15MB on the netbook I'm using just now.

An hour into superhub ownership I'm happy. :D

is the netbook XP? you might need the TCP optimiser

either that or the wireless isnt up to scratch on it

_wtf_
17-05-2011, 18:17
Isn't it weird how some people have no trouble yet others don't. Anything to do with whether your network was ex Cable & Wireless, NTL, TeleWest ?

vmfriend
17-05-2011, 18:25
I doubt it, with any mass produced device there will be issues, I guess to a degree the number of issues relates to the QA of the company concerned. (ie Netgear)

You can do all the testing you want but you can never quite replicate the real world in a test environment so there will always be issues identified once the switch is flipped.

Despite what is said on this site, as a population of the VM customer base the number of issues is probably quite low (in my opinion)

I don't disbelieve the issues some are having, it just seems to get blown out of proportion, in addition the super hub is designed for the lowest common denominator, as far as I can see some users who want advanced features are not catered for, you could argue that this was an oversight by VM but 'appears' to be being addressed by modem only mode.

You could also argue VM thought that they didn't need to cater for these users because at the end of the day if you want to use the service you have to use their equipment, only VM know which is the case.

Mick Fisher
17-05-2011, 20:34
Isn't it weird how some people have no trouble yet others don't. Anything to do with whether your network was ex Cable & Wireless, NTL, TeleWest ?
Yep, very strange.

Reminds of my never being able to get a reliable CATV service to work. :confused:

But surely infrastructure deficiencies cannot possibly have any bearing on wireless performance.

KenK
17-05-2011, 21:11
As vmfriend said, you pays your money ...

My choice is to wait until they've sorted out all the bugs and design omissions.

callanish
17-05-2011, 22:48
As vmfriend said, you pays your money ...

My choice is to wait until they've sorted out all the bugs and design omissions.

I'm starting to agree. Think I'll give it a bit of time and follow the forum for how the firmware updates are coming along, then take the plunge when I feel comfortable. Besides, It's not going to be the end of my world with having only a 20mb / 2mb connection :)

Thanks to everyone that responded

LTM

darkm
17-05-2011, 23:06
I'm starting to agree. Think I'll give it a bit of time and follow the forum for how the firmware updates are coming along, then take the plunge when I feel comfortable. Besides, It's not going to be the end of my world with having only a 20mb / 2mb connection :)

Thanks to everyone that responded

LTM

Well goood choice, if you took a glance at this forum and others you would se numerous people having issues with the hub..

It works fine for some but for others it doesnt......That about the height of it..

Chrysalis
18-05-2011, 08:18

no its just the nature of bugs.

any given bug wont affect everyone, everyone has different usage patterns and will connect with different devices.

_wtf_
18-05-2011, 09:02
no its just the nature of bugs.

any given bug wont affect everyone, everyone has different usage patterns and will connect with different devices.

I thought that's why standards exists

kwikbreaks
18-05-2011, 09:09
I thought that's why standards exists
There are standards for bugs????