PDA

View Full Version : 100M 100 meg BB

borrissey
16-05-2011, 15:09
Phoned up about getting a super hub for free with my 50 meg internet, ended up ordering 100 meg lol! Didn't even know it was in my area I checked list and it says June 11 WOW Virgin Media a head in there roll out schedule.

There coming next week 25th get free installation and free Super hub. Extra £7 a month.

:):):)

Ignitionnet
16-05-2011, 16:17
Right.

Stephen
16-05-2011, 16:25
Right.

That was a worthwhile and extremely helpful post:rolleyes:

Also great news about getting your 100MB early :)

borrissey
16-05-2011, 18:10
Right.

Left.

Also great news about getting your 100MB early :)

Some people eh.

Thanks my man, what are the super hubs like?

pip08456
16-05-2011, 18:11
Left.

Some people eh.

You should not've asked that!

Hugh
16-05-2011, 18:13
Left.

Some people eh.

Thanks my man, what are the super hubs like?Some people have problems, some don't.

craigj2k12
16-05-2011, 18:15
oh my days, what a question....

awaiting the pages of responses to this lol

TJS
16-05-2011, 18:17
Left.

They're very good :) ignore bad stuff you read on here and decide for your self when you get one

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33676964-superhub-nowhere-near-bad-people-say.html

Stephen
16-05-2011, 18:20
Left.

Some people eh.

Personally I love my superhub and it's worked perfectly for the last 6 months.

There are a few people that seem to have issues with the hub but compared to those that are happy and it works fine, it's a very small minority.

borrissey
16-05-2011, 18:26
I'm using mine for ps3 and laptop mainly. PS3 is wired with homeplugs and laptop is wireless. At the moment I got the netgear router I had off VM.

I also use blu ray player wired with homeplugs.

Stephen
16-05-2011, 18:29
You should be fine with that set up. I have most of my kit connected wirelessly and it's been great.

Ignitionnet
16-05-2011, 18:31

I don't remember seeing a question in the original post to answer so being helpful was rather difficult.

craigj2k12
16-05-2011, 18:32
i saw a rather odd question: "is the superhub any good?"

oh my days, your in for hell

Stephen
16-05-2011, 18:32
I don't remember seeing a question in the original post to answer so being helpful was rather difficult.

You didn't have to reply then ;)

Ignitionnet
16-05-2011, 18:34

Mine was a disaster until I put another router in front of it and it's now behaving itself. If you're not unlucky it will be ok.

Best bet is to ignore the prophets of doom and ignore those who say it's fabulous, perfect, etc, the truth as always is somewhere in between.

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

You didn't have to reply then ;)

Indeed not, I chose to.

If you have a problem with this please feel free to put your next post in bold. I found it a curious post and responded as I do to any curious post I come across.

Stephen
16-05-2011, 18:36
i saw a rather odd question: "is the superhub any good?"

oh my days, your in for hell

Again not really helpful. Some people have problems and for others it works brilliantly.

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:34 ----------

Mine was a disaster until I put another router in front of it and it's now behaving itself. If you're no unlucky it will be ok.

Best bet is to ignore the prophets of doom and ignore those who say it's fabulous, perfect, etc, the truth as always is somewhere in between.

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

Indeed not, I chose to.

If you have a problem with this please feel free to put your next post in bold. I found it a curious post and responded as I do to any curious post I come across.
I don't have a problem. I was just saying. My attitude is if I don't know how to respond then I don't.

craigj2k12
16-05-2011, 18:37
Again not really helpful. Some people have problems and for others it works brilliantly.

im sure saying "Some people have problems and for others it works brilliantly" is about as helpful, if not less.

OP: basically you will find out when you get it

pip08456
16-05-2011, 18:40
Indeed not, I chose to.

I found it hilarious,:D.

I was just waiting the replies to come along with the gainsayers and naysayers.

It was bound to happen as it seems to be a touchy subject on here ATM.:D

Stephen
16-05-2011, 19:33
im sure saying "Some people have problems and for others it works brilliantly" is about as helpful, if not less.

OP: basically you will find out when you get it
That was in response to your post about the superhub.

There are more people with working superhubs than those with faulty or problematic ones.

craigj2k12
16-05-2011, 19:36
out of the 246,672,251,129 been issued, only 9 have had an issue

pip08456
16-05-2011, 19:41
out of the 246,672,251,129 been issued, only 9 have had an issue

Now you are just being https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/59.gif

General Maximus
16-05-2011, 19:49
Phoned up about getting a super hub for free with my 50 meg internet, ended up ordering 100 meg lol! Didn't even know it was in my area I checked list and it says June 11 WOW Virgin Media a head in there roll out schedule

I am happy for you dude. Although I am sure 100mbit is going to be sweet when it works, don't put up with any crap from the superhub and if you have problems which VM dont fix, go back to 50mbit and your current modem.

Before anyone starts, I am not being negative or presumptuious, I just believe that those who are forewarned are forearmed.

pip08456
16-05-2011, 20:41
I am happy for you dude. Although I am sure 100mbit is going to be sweet when it works, don't put up with any crap from the superhub and if you have problems which VM dont fix, go back to 50mbit and your current modem.

Before anyone starts, I am not being negative or presumptuious, I just believe that those who are forewarned are forearmed.

Absloutely nothing wrong with that General.

Good place to come for advice though, a forum where most have problems.

Someone should start a seperate forum for those that don't have problems perhaps, but it would be empty as no problem=no post!

borrissey
16-05-2011, 20:52
What sort of problems are people having with them?

Disconnects during online gaming would be annoying!

pip08456
16-05-2011, 21:49
What sort of problems are people having with them?

Disconnects during online gaming would be annoying!

To get a truthful answer you should not be asking on a support forum as the majority on here have problems and you have a minority of staff defending it.

Disconnects during gaming?- I'm not an on-line gamer but anecdotally VM is one of the lower end ISP's for gaming as latentcy, ping and jitter are inherent on the network.

You'll soon have someone along singing their praises!

Stephen
16-05-2011, 23:20
You can't say the majority are having problems, it's simply not correct.

To the OP I game online with my xbox and PS3 and don't have any problems with my ping or disconnections.

_wtf_
17-05-2011, 08:05
I play online with Xbox and PS3 also, my experience differs to the staff members that post on this forum.

Funny enough there is also a thread here (http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-XBox-Issues-12-05-11/td-p/436611) which kind of says it's to do with Virgin Media's traffic management system!! Notice the last post which says they are now discussing the matter with Microsoft which was only posted 5 days ago!! So it looks as though the SuperHub has nothing to do with it.

Peter_
17-05-2011, 08:20
I play online with Xbox and PS3 also, my experience differs to the staff members that post on this forum.

Funny enough there is also a thread here (http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-XBox-Issues-12-05-11/td-p/436611) which kind of says it's to do with Virgin Media's traffic management system!! Notice the last post which says they are now discussing the matter with Microsoft which was only posted 5 days ago!! So it looks as though the SuperHub has nothing to do with it.
If they are in discussion with Microsoft then it is more likely to be an issue with the way that they transmit the data causing it to be misconstued as normal traffic.

Chrysalis
17-05-2011, 09:05
If they are in discussion with Microsoft then it is more likely to be an issue with the way that they transmit the data causing it to be misconstued as normal traffic.

which reminds me I need to get back onto ofcom as is some weeks now since I last had a reply of them and VM are clearly still shaping unclassified traffic whilst claiming they only shape p2p/nntp on the website.

To the OP. all I will say is good luck, its not to have another debate thread here added to the few we already have.

To improve your odds of a good experience if using wireless set it less than 300mbit and try not to send any lan traffic through the superhub.

General Maximus
17-05-2011, 09:36
So it looks as though the SuperHub has nothing to do with it.

It does if your old modem/router worked fine and now you have got the superhub it doesnt

Synthetic
17-05-2011, 11:00
Superhub = pot luck by the sounds of it

borrissey
17-05-2011, 13:09
My Netgear is having problems at the moment connection drops once a day have to re set it. When you renew the lease it sorts in out but its a pain or you can re set it to get it working...

borrissey
18-05-2011, 17:38
This is my current test. 50meg I'm on...

http://www.pingtest.net/result/40619493.png (http://www.pingtest.net)

borrissey
18-05-2011, 21:28
Any ideas at the moment I get this, good job I'm getting a superhub...

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/84.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

I get this when connected straight to modem.

Then through wireless I get this:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/85.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

craigj2k12
18-05-2011, 21:32
good job I'm getting a superhub...

care to expand?

getting a superhub is usually a bad thing

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

I get this when connected straight to modem.

Then through wireless I get this:

you must be using wireless B or something, or you have bad interference

Peter_
18-05-2011, 21:39
care to expand?

getting a superhub is usually a bad thing

No it is not as the hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers already show.

craigj2k12
18-05-2011, 21:43
No it is not as the hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers already show.

but compared to the VMNG & router it usually perform worse especially wireless

Peter_
18-05-2011, 21:44
but compared to the VMNG & router it usually perform worse especially wireless
In the majority of cases which are in the hundreds of thousands it works fine, can you really argue with the figures.

jb66
18-05-2011, 21:50
In the majority of cases which are in the hundreds of thousands it works fine, can you really argue with the figures.

But there is a significantly higher proportion of complaints. Ive never seen so much complaints over a vm product. Even the Tivo SD picture issue is not on the scale of the ****hub

Chrysalis
18-05-2011, 22:48

with all due respect if you say this again I will want to see proof. If you cant provide it then stop making this statement. You beginning to sound like a salesmen.

JB66 as far as I am concerned is disproving call centre related data.

Hugh
18-05-2011, 22:52
tbf, it is one view against another, rather than statistical evidence from either side.

Why would jb66's anecdotal evidence be more believable than Masque's? (or vice-versa) - they are both just giving their individual experience and viewpoints.

pip08456
18-05-2011, 22:53
with all due respect if you say this again I will want to see proof. If you cant provide it then stop making this statement. You beginning to sound like a salesmen.

JB66 as far as I am concerned is disproving call centre related data.

And if it happens with one field tech how many more?

craigj2k12
18-05-2011, 22:55

so every user with the superhub has rang up VM and complimented them on how good the range is on the superhub

no they havnt

and even if they had, do VM keep a record of wireless range compliments

no they dont

so while you are quoting your statistics about the lack of complaints, you are forgetting that there is no statistic for positive phone calls

Chrysalis
18-05-2011, 23:05
tbf, it is one view against another, rather than statistical evidence from either side.

Why would jb66's anecdotal evidence be more believable than Masque's? (or vice-versa) - they are both just giving their individual experience and viewpoints.

I got no problem with masque saying in his daily work he is not coming across many superhub issues.

The issue is he is repeatedly saying there is hundreds of thousands of customers with 'no' issues, since he hasnt spoken to all these people then its wrong to say that.

JB66 I value higher as he is seeing issues face to face with his own eye's whilst masque is diagnosing over the phone.

jb66
18-05-2011, 23:07
Why would I lie? I want the vm 50meg hub to work, on paper it's a good idea, I suspect there will be a similar apology as the TiVo and they will find a bug that makes it incompatible with certain conditions

NathP
18-05-2011, 23:27
I'm getting 100mb installed tomorrow morning. I will be requesting to have my VNMG300 work on 100mb or I will be refusing the upgrade. Ill let you know how I get on :)

craigj2k12
18-05-2011, 23:34
I'm getting 100mb installed tomorrow morning. I will be requesting to have my VNMG300 work on 100mb or I will be refusing the upgrade. Ill let you know how I get on :)

:clap:

queue masque telling you its not the advertised product for the service

Peter_
18-05-2011, 23:40
:clap:

queue masque telling you its not the advertised product for the service
No we need pip to tell him what happened when he tried to do the same a few weeks back or did you forget.;)

craigj2k12
18-05-2011, 23:41
No we need pip to tell him what happened when he tried to do the same a few weeks back or did you forget.;)

i didnt hear :erm:

Peter_
18-05-2011, 23:45
i didnt hear :erm:
Which is the reason he went to BT Infinity because the tech would not install the VMNG300.

I do not care what the tech is willing to install as it is not me that can be raked over the coals for not following the installation rules with regards to 100Mb.

Chrysalis
18-05-2011, 23:47
Which is the reason he went to BT Infinity because the tech would not install the VMNG300.

I do not care what the tech is willing to install as it is not me that can be raked over the coals for not following the installation rules with regards to 100Mb.

are you happy VMs new policy lost you a customer?

for pip's reported experience there is 3 of the opposite where the tech's backed down and activated service on the vmng300.

borrissey
18-05-2011, 23:47
Sounds like the problems stem from people streaming HD movies, downloading big files via wireless. Pushing the superhub hard!

pip08456
18-05-2011, 23:48

Queue Pip!

The engineer will insist he has to upgrade you with the POS. He will then do a speed test for you.

In my case he said "it's up to you". (best it could manage was 86 down 5.6 up IIRC)

As I posted afterwards I decided that I could not continue calling it a POS until I'd actually tried it added to that I'd already decided to go to pastures new.

I'm sure if I had said to him rip it out and either put me back on 50Mb or leave it on 100Mb he would've done so.

He has to do modem/hub in and modem out otherwise he gets charged.

Had I been staying with VM I would've insisted he put the modem back in but as I wasn't I didn't persue it.

jb66
18-05-2011, 23:49
No mine reboots when just on iPhone, I think it's s compatibility issue with certain amps/ubr. That would be a reason why masques works and 4 of mine havent

Peter_
18-05-2011, 23:50
Queue Pip!

The engineer will insist he has to upgrade you with the POS. He will then do a speed test for you.

In my case he said "it's up to you".

As I posted afterwards I decided that I could not continue calling it a POS until I'd actually tried it added to that I'd already decided to go to pastures new.

I'm sure if I had said to him rip it out and either put me back on 50Mb or leave it on 100Mb he would've done so.

He has to do modem/hub in and modem out otherwise he gets charged.

Had I been staying with VM I would've insisted he put the modem back in but as I wasn't I didn't persue it.
See Craig that is what I meant.

craigj2k12
18-05-2011, 23:50
No mine reboots when just on iPhone, I think it's s compatibility issue with certain amps/ubr. That would be a reason why masques works and 4 of mine havent

im just down the road from masque, and probably using the same or similar ex telewest equipment, and i was having problems

Peter_
18-05-2011, 23:51
I am on a Cisco uBR on the Knowsley network which is rock solid around here.

craigj2k12
18-05-2011, 23:52
See Craig that is what I meant.

i did hear that one, but its happy days for pip, he has the option of another fibre optic package. as for me, im happy with VM, i would have been okay with the superhub, i would have moaned and groaned, but on an "up to" 50mb package getting 50.4 download i am very happy, but now i can game better, and have no cut outs am am extremely satisfied

Peter_
18-05-2011, 23:53
im just down the road from masque, and probably using the same or similar ex telewest equipment, and i was having problems
I am on Live20 and you should be on a Knowsley uBR the link at the top of the page will tell you.

jb66
How do I know if cisco?

craigj2k12
I am on a Cisco uBR on the Knowsley network which is rock solid around here.

im on exactly the same, cisco ubr, do you mean knowsley UBR, or the actual knowsley telewest network?

Peter_
18-05-2011, 23:54
How can I check mine?
Top of the page click the connection link and also how many downstreams, 3 for a Cisco and 4 for a motorola.

pip08456
18-05-2011, 23:56
i did hear that one, but its happy days for pip, he has the option of another fibre optic package. as for me, im happy with VM, i would have been okay with the superhub, i would have moaned and groaned, but on an "up to" 50mb package getting 50.4 download i am very happy, but now i can game better, and have no cut outs am am extremely satisfied

I'll be even happier when BT double the speed next year and even happier when Be start supplying it!:D:D:D

jb66
18-05-2011, 23:57
Motarola... Hmmmm

craigj2k12
18-05-2011, 23:58
what do you mean live20?

Peter_
18-05-2011, 23:59
what do you mean live20?
That is the uBR that I am on, if you click connection at the top of the page it should say knowsley and a number if in St Helens.

craigj2k12
19-05-2011, 00:01
That is the uBR that I am on, if you click connection at the top of the page it should say knowsley and a number if in St Helens.

yes your on the liverpool UBR while I am on the knowsley UBR, i was getting confused between knowsley UBR and the knowsley network (i.e. not langley & bromley)

pip08456
19-05-2011, 00:02
yes your on the liverpool UBR while I am on the knowsley UBR, i was getting confused between knowsley UBR and the knowsley network (i.e. not langley & bromley)

The penny's dropped then.:D

Peter_
19-05-2011, 00:04
I am in Liverpool and ours are named after the city but out in the sticks in St Helens you are on Knowsley uBRs to differentiate you from us city bods.:D:D:D

craigj2k12
19-05-2011, 00:06
I am in Liverpool and ours are named after the city but out in the sticks in St Helens you are on Knowsley uBRs to differentiate you from us city bods.:D:D:D

our network has less chance of being robbed :D

Peter_
19-05-2011, 00:15
our network has less chance of being robbed :D
Are you forgetting who lives by the COOP depot then behind Sheardley park just up from Mcdonalds.:D

craigj2k12
19-05-2011, 00:17
Are you forgetting who lives by the COOP depot then behind Sheardley park just up from Mcdonalds.:D

sutton?

Peter_
19-05-2011, 00:20
sutton?
I take it you do not drive down that road from the Rainhill junction through to St Helens then as you would know what I mean on the left before McDonalds.

We get no cable theft as we know that it is glass fibre.:D

craigj2k12
19-05-2011, 00:26
I take it you do not drive down that road from the Rainhill junction through to St Helens then as you would know what I mean on the left before McDonalds.

We get no cable theft as we know that it is glass fibre.:D

your getting further away now, are you talking about thatto heath?

Peter_
19-05-2011, 00:30
your getting further away now, are you talking about thatto heath?
Have a drive down there and you will have a revelation tomorrow.

craigj2k12
19-05-2011, 00:31
Have a drive down there and you will have a revelation tomorrow.

the maccies by the roundabout?

Peter_
19-05-2011, 00:32
the maccies by the roundabout?
Yes and who lives up that road on the same side, no need to post who it is though.

craigj2k12
19-05-2011, 00:34
Yes and who lives up that road on the same side, no need to post who it is though.

i have no idea :confused:

Skie
19-05-2011, 01:05
I'm on a cisco UBR (live19) and had loads of Superhub problems. I seriously doubt it is down to the network. There is a shockingly bad batch of hubs, there are issues with firmware updates (remember the corrupted email address issue in the beta caused by the FW not clearing out values from the rom cleanly?) or there is something else. Like a dodgy power pack or just general location causing wifi issues (loads of interference, or even where the hub is its too hot or cold).

Obviously its hard to narrow down with so many possible variables.

craigj2k12
19-05-2011, 01:06
I'm on a cisco UBR (live19) and had loads of Superhub problems. I seriously doubt it is down to the network. There is a shockingly bad batch of hubs, there are issues with firmware updates (remember the corrupted email address issue in the beta caused by the FW not clearing out values from the rom cleanly?) or there is something else. Like a dodgy power pack or just general location causing wifi issues (loads of interference, or even where the hub is its too hot or cold).

Obviously its hard to narrow down with so many possible variables.

i personally think they are all bad. the people who dont have problems dont transfer enough data to kill it, or dont do things with bugs like forward ports

NathP
19-05-2011, 12:40
Well I had 2 very arrogant and rude installers come around this morning and they refused to put my VNMG300 on 100mb and said "either we install the Superhub or you stay on 50mb". I asked if they put the Superhub in if I could keep the modem incase I went back to 50mb cause I went through alot of trouble getting the VNMG300 in the first place and they said "no we would have to take the modem!" They wouldn't consider anything I said so I asked them to leave.

I phoned Technical Support and got someone in Scotland who agreed that the VNMG300 would work on 100mb, he put me on hold as he spoke to installations, he told me someone would ring me back.

Shortly after some jobsworth from installations phoned me up tried to fob me off saying the VNMG300 wouldn't work on 100mb and that I would need a Superhub. I told him I have had many friends around the country successfully use a VNMG300 on 100mb and he said "not here it wont, I'm only passing on information I've been told". I then said "I do not believe a word your saying and I would be taking this matter futher" lol.

I phoned up a few more times I spoke to 5-6 different people from Techincal Support and Customer Services and a couple of them agreed with me that the VNMG300 indeed works on 100mb. The others tried to fob me off saying the VNMG300 would not work for a number of silly reasons! I told them "why has it been tested to up to 200mbit then?" I then got transfered to Customer Relations who actually fully understood my problems. They put me on hold for a good 10 minutes or so and during that time they managed to change my config on my VNNG300 to 100mb!!

What a morning! I don't see any reason for a installer to come out for 100mb apart for adjusting power levels but my mine were fine!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/54.jpghttps://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/83.png

Theres the proof, what a result! :)

Well done to those at VM who agreed with me and did something about it!

Chrysalis
19-05-2011, 12:50
shows that when churn is a threat the rules go out the window and what isnt possible is suddenly possible :) well done winning your battle.

General Maximus
19-05-2011, 14:44
well that makes me feel an awful lot better about upgrading to 100mbit when it become available in my area. I thought that should have been a case all the way along, you ring up and tell them you want to upgrade, they whack a few keys and send down a new config file and you are done. Sweetness all around. Why do they have to make it so hard and pee customers off?

craigj2k12
19-05-2011, 15:40
yes its a good option, and by the time they change to 8 channels, the superhub should be fixed

jb66
19-05-2011, 16:00
Im glad you got it working but i'd have said the same thing to you. Im not breaking rules and risking a ticking off for someone I dont know. Also i'd not be willing to leave the modem with you as once scanned its on my account and i'm responsable for it

zekeisaszekedoes
19-05-2011, 16:01

It's so, so lucky you're not holding the "keys" to the company, isn't it?

Maybe I should post a screengrab of my email from one of the fellas working in the higher tiers of the company explicitly stating that the VMNG300 is 100Mb capable should I want to upgrade when it's rolled out in my area. I think his "mistake" was that he wanted to provide excellent customer service to prevent people leaving and going elsewhere to one of their competitors. I also think there's a name for this kind of thing... "good business practice", is it? Not sure. Could be. :D

Sounds like the problems stem from people streaming HD movies, downloading big files via wireless. Pushing the superhub hard!

Got it in one. Rigs like the following (mine) would kill it the moment a couple of people tried accessing iPlayer at once... and I was only on 20Mb at the time, with less stuff hooked up than now.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/53.jpg

Man I've got around to taking a proper pic of that, not this grainy one somebody else did on their phone.

Peter_
19-05-2011, 16:06
Im glad you got it working but i'd have said the same thing to you. Im not breaking rules and risking a ticking off for someone I dont know. Also i'd not be willing to leave the modem with you as once scanned its on my account and i'm responsable for it

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:05 ----------

Maybe I should post a screengrab of my email from one of the fellas working in the higher tiers of the company explicitly stating that the VMNG300 is 100Mb capable should I want to upgrade when it's rolled out in my area. I think his "mistake" was that he wanted to provide excellent customer service to prevent people leaving and going elsewhere to one of their competitors. I also think there's a name for this kind of thing... "good business practice", is it? Not sure. Could be. :D

Why not try reading the post prior to this one as he installs them for a living and said exactly the same as me, but I expect that falls outside of your comfort zone.

zekeisaszekedoes
19-05-2011, 16:28
The way he said it was polite though, and more fact than opinion, which is why people trust him. That's the difference.

Your approach is stubborn, rude and bereft of a sense of humour. You more or less said "I don't care about keeping customers happy, I care about doing it by the book and screw anyone that doesn't like it" which is an excellent way of making VM look bad again. This is what you do over and over again and yet you're curious as to why people are teaming up to take shots at you? Might I suggest you buy an industrial-strength lint removal tool to unclog your eyes, which appear to be full of wool at the moment.

Anyway, I now have better things to do. <Insert "your mum" joke here>

Peter_
19-05-2011, 16:32
The way he said it was polite though, and more fact than opinion, which is why people trust him. That's the difference.

Your approach is stubborn, rude and bereft of a sense of humour.

Anyway, I now have better things to do. <Insert "your mum" joke here>

Not at all I post the facts, but now this modem worship has got rather silly, so I see no real point in this thread as R27 will be here soon and that will mean modem mode for the Superhub and this thread will be empty and forgotten soon enough.

But I expect a new thread will arise about people screaming for the new Superhub once it becomes available.

Any reason to mention a mum joke or is that just something you threw in for reasons only known to yourself.:confused::confused::confused:

Hugh
19-05-2011, 16:44
Can we all stop with the personal comments, before infractions occur.

Skie
19-05-2011, 23:35

Could you just walk in, pat the little modem that can, do the hit with your pda then walk back out feeling happy that you kept another evil hub from terrorizing a family?

No stock issues then! Fair enough though if you *have* to lose a hub and gain a modem, but then that would rely on VM's database of CPE to be up to date.

jb66
19-05-2011, 23:40
What's in it for me? I risk a slap on the wrist for someone I don't know. I'll leave that to retentions! :)

Skie
19-05-2011, 23:41
I was more asking if that would be possible without inuring the slapped wrists :)

craigj2k12
19-05-2011, 23:42
What's in it for me? I risk a slap on the wrist for someone I don't know. I'll leave that to retentions! :)

who would give you a slap, and why? your not losing any modems

jb66
19-05-2011, 23:48
In theory I could just close the job as successful without hitting anything and the modem would take the update. I'm sure I wouldn't get a row. It's if the customer calls up after I've been (possibly complaining of slow speed via a dlink 615) that me not following procedures would come to light.

---------- Post added at 22:48 ---------- Previous post was at 22:47 ----------

who would give you a slap, and why? your not losing any modems

Manager for not following procedure

craigj2k12
19-05-2011, 23:57
In theory I could just close the job as successful without hitting anything and the modem would take the update. I'm sure I wouldn't get a row. It's if the customer calls up after I've been (possibly complaining of slow speed via a dlink 615) that me not following procedures would come to light.

its the more professional users that would want the modem to stay there in the first place, so it works with their set up. If they dont have a high enough knowledge to know that a crappy router wont work with 100mb then they wont be asking to keep the modem in the first place

---------- Post added at 22:57 ---------- Previous post was at 22:53 ----------

Manager for not following procedure

surely your manager would praise you for not following procedure if you had a good reason, for example:

"sorry sir, I didnt install the superhub, as I knew the issues and faults the superhub has, and with the network the customer had, the superhub was more likely to cause problems. In this case I left the modem as requested by the customer and activated it to 100mb, i know its against official procedure, but as a company we are deicated to providing a superior service to the customer, and as part of this, i wouldnt want the customer to experience any problems, which the would indefinitely experience with the superhub"

jb66
19-05-2011, 23:59
I agree with you but there is no benefit for me breaking company policy. I get paid if I do the install or not. That's my view on it anyway.

zekeisaszekedoes
20-05-2011, 00:30
Any reason to mention a mum joke or is that just something you threw in for reasons only known to yourself.:confused::confused::confused:

Sense of humour fail on your part. Pretty sure everyone else got the joke... it was quite obvious.

Peter_
20-05-2011, 06:42
Sense of humour fail on your part. Pretty sure everyone else got the joke... it was quite obvious.
When is a joke not a joke?

When only you know the reason for the comment.

Maybe instead of trolling you could give a reason for said joke.:rolleyes:

GrimUpNorth
20-05-2011, 08:35
I agree with you but there is no benefit for me breaking company policy. I get paid if I do the install or not. That's my view on it anyway.

Must be difficult not to tell customers what they MAY be letting themselve in for, and once the modems gone its prossibly gone for good. I bet you have problems doing instalations with your fingers crossed :D

Cheers
Grim

zekeisaszekedoes
20-05-2011, 12:47
Maybe instead of trolling you could give a reason for said joke.:rolleyes:

Aww, poor widdle Masquey needs another joke spelled out for him?

I'm not sure how much more obvious it could be. "I have more important things to do <insert mum joke here>". Do you not get "I have to go and do your mum now" from that? It's like the most obvious stock joke of the last ten years or so. :D

Anyway, unless mothers are getting 100Mb broadband let's get off them, shall we? ;)

Peter_
20-05-2011, 16:55
I'm not sure how much more obvious it could be. "I have more important things to do <insert mum joke here>". Do you not get "I have to go and do your mum now" from that?
Oh I see that you were being rather tacky, well you would be hard pressed anyway as she has been dead 20 years so maybe that is why I did not twig that your childish joke was aimed at me.

Well done anyway with your attempt to be offensive.

http://lolpics.se/pics/482.jpg

zekeisaszekedoes
21-05-2011, 12:21
No problem Masque. Thanks for the sarcasm. :D

(P.S. The best episode of TNG from a humour point of view is Allegiance, where Picard gets drunk, sings shanties in the bar with his crew then tries to drive the Enterprise into a star.)

General Maximus
21-05-2011, 18:50
Off the top of my head I can't think of a favourite funny ep in TNG. I have never been much of a comedy person because i dont find stuff funny when you know it is supposed to be funny (i.e comedies). That is why I find inpromptu stuff hilarius, especially in a serious setting like Star Trek.

In terms of the funniest moments for me, I think Q has got to be at the top of the list, his one liners are awesome. The moment that sticks in my mind the most is the ep when Picard is lieing in sick bay having a heart attack due to him being stabbed in the heart when he got in a fight at star fleet academy. He says he wished he could go back and do things differently and Q sends him back. One morning Picard wakes up in bed (having slept with his girly friend) and Q walks in delivering some flowers and says "is there is Gene Luck Picurd here". I laugh my ass off every time I watch that.

Loads of good ferengi and Weyoun in DS9, same for Voyager with 7 of 9.

Out of all of Star Trek though if I had to pick the funniest ep, it would have to be Voyager 6x04 Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy. Absolute genious.

Hugh
21-05-2011, 19:21
Topic?

General Maximus
21-05-2011, 19:56
I thought we were talking about Star Trek :LOL:

zekeisaszekedoes
21-05-2011, 20:37
Maximus, that episode is Tapestry, and yeah I love the part where Q deliberately messes up Picard's name too. Actually that whole episode is a highlight of the series, along with The Inner Light. Oh, and the two-parter with David Warner as a spoonhead, Chain Of Command. Two great British actors turning dialogue on a page into something compelling. Basically, give Patrick Stewart a lot of screen time and enjoy the results... he did the same thing with Ian McKellen years later with the X-Men Trilogy.

I'm going to do a ham-handed segue back to topic here... one of my favourite things about having a faster broadband connection (looking to move to 100Mb soon, as I've said) is being able to stream things like that from my home connection without ruining the broadband for everyone else by virtue of eating all the upload bandwidth. ;)

Also, to make a point, going off topic and talking about entertainment (one of the services VM provides, obviously) is much better than me and Masque taking shots at one another, surely?

Hugh
21-05-2011, 21:51
Well, as one of the parties involved in "taking shots", you do have the choice not to.....

jb66
22-05-2011, 08:50
I had 3 suphub wifi issues again yesterday, none I could fix. I can't seem to get the wifi speed above 35. Changed channels, put to 145 mode, installed dongle then I give up.

Can this issue be fixed by a firmware update or is it the shockingly poor router hardware?
Even though they only get 35, does that mean 2 pcs can download at 25 each or is 35 the max?

I've told them to hang on to r27. But quite rightly so, they've asked why they should fork out for another router, which I can't answer!

General Maximus
22-05-2011, 09:30
2 pcs should be able to get 25 each. One thing you have got to bear in mind is the location of the wireless devices, the signal might be getting distorted if there are a lot of walls or metalically type stuff in the way.

jb66
22-05-2011, 10:16
2 pcs should be able to get 25 each. One thing you have got to bear in mind is the location of the wireless devices, the signal might be getting distorted if there are a lot of walls or metalically type stuff in the way.

Its hard to defend the hub when they tell me they get a better signal with the white netgear router

imranm
23-05-2011, 18:50
I sent an email to the ceo's office and this is what they said...

I can confirm that I have sent you a VMNG300 stand alone modem and d-link router. The modem has been sent from the office here and will be with you on ******* the same as the router.

I have enclosed a standard letter in with the modem so you can follow the process to have this activated. If you could return the Super Hub in the box to the following address:

Not had mine installed yet! See how it goes :D

General Maximus
23-05-2011, 19:06
I am just wondering how flexible they are going to be when I ring up to upgrade to 100mbit and ask them just to bang the new config file down to my modem. If it work it works, if it doesnt then no harm done and I can ring up and get the superhub. I would love to keep my VMNG300 though

Chrysalis
23-05-2011, 19:30
the superhub has been ok for me in bridge mode but probably tommorow I will be using the vmng300 again as it has lower jitter.

Peter_
23-05-2011, 19:48
I am just wondering how flexible they are going to be when I ring up to upgrade to 100mbit and ask them just to bang the new config file down to my modem. If it work it works, if it doesnt then no harm done and I can ring up and get the superhub. I would love to keep my VMNG300 though
100Mb is a manned install only so unlikely to be flexible.

zekeisaszekedoes
23-05-2011, 23:59
I sent an email to the ceo's office and this is what they said...

Not had mine installed yet! See how it goes :D

The CEO's give out DIR-615s as well? Interesting...

imranm
24-05-2011, 09:50
The CEO's give out DIR-615s as well? Interesting...

See what arrives! I'm going to let the Installer go ahead and deploy 100MB with the SuperHub and swap it with the kit sent from the CEOs office etc

Hugh
24-05-2011, 11:19
Can I remind posters (once again) that the use of derogatory terminology is against Site T&Cs, as clarified by this announcement earlier this year.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35183270-post18.html

zerolight
24-05-2011, 15:31
Almost ordered 100mb today. The extra 7 quid ish a month seemed OK. But having just shelled out £150 for my new Tivo box I was a bit taken aback to discover that they want another £40 upgrade fee for the broadband. I can't afford that. I've got a router that I'm very happy with that is not a VM sourced unit and really don't need the superhub which aside from having a built in modem is inferior to my own router. So sadly, I turned them down. For some reason I thought there was no upgrade cost to move from 50 to 100. Oh well, I don't NEED it.

zekeisaszekedoes
24-05-2011, 19:43
VM lose your upgrade because a) you have to pay for the upgrade and b) you have a routing solution you're happy with and don't want a superhub. Basically they've lost your business because there is no option for a standalone modem, assuming that if there was you'd pay for the upgrade when you could afford it, is that right?

zerolight
25-05-2011, 00:27
Well the upgrade itself is free. The 40 quid is for the installation of the new equipment, according to CS. I resent paying for something I don't want. A number of folk posting here got a free install. If I could click an upgrade button online to switch my modem over for a sensible (not 40 quid) fee I'd do it. 40 quid knocks the impulse buy on the head. speaking of the website, why am I unable to alter my package online and instead have to call CS?

---------- Post added at 23:27 ---------- Previous post was at 23:18 ----------

In fact, the vm website says free installation and activation of 100mb broadband when done online. But then the website tells me there's a problem and wants me to phone! So a problem at VM means I pay 40 quid?

imranm
25-05-2011, 02:10
I couldn't upgrade online so I rang CS and got free activation + free upgrade.

If you don't want a SuperHub send the CEOs office an email and they'll send out a modem + router. If it all goes to plan I can ditch the SuperHub (send it back as per their request) and se my own router rather than the D-Link.

zerolight
25-05-2011, 10:33
Ordered today. Free install and free activation.

borrissey
25-05-2011, 12:49
Just got my 100 meg installed.

Wireless:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1311389966.png

Wired:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/69.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

zekeisaszekedoes
25-05-2011, 13:46
You see, the main reason I personally want 100Mb is the improved upload speeds, so I can stream higher bitrate content from my home NAS. Transcoding MPEG-2 VOBs from original retail DVDs to H.264/AAC is time consuming and really hard on the computer doing the job. I think on average you need between 5-7Mbps to stream bigger VOB files.

As I told a tech earlier on, I'd be happy with 30Mb... if the upload speed was identical.

borrissey
25-05-2011, 14:58
Are higher upload speeds good for online gaming?

zekeisaszekedoes
25-05-2011, 16:06
Having low latency is more important than fastest upload speeds available. Online games are generally optimised so the amount of data required for say movement information is actually quite small. This is usually a deliberate choice by the developers so their game will work well across a variety of networks, even older ones like 128k ISDN lines.

It's a small amount of data, relatively speaking, but the faster it transits the better, so networks with low ping/jitter are important, as is good hosting on the game servers assuming they aren't being hosted by a user on their home network. You can pay quite a bit extra for fast response times, trust me there are companiesout there who specialise in super low latency game server hosting and will charge a premium for it.

Someone who knows more about it than I do could probably give you more information

Stephen
25-05-2011, 17:45
I couldn't upgrade online so I rang CS and got free activation + free upgrade.

If you don't want a SuperHub send the CEOs office an email and they'll send out a modem + router. If it all goes to plan I can ditch the SuperHub (send it back as per their request) and se my own router rather than the D-Link.

We can't have every customer contacting the CEO office just for a modem. That's not their job lol. It should be a last resort if all other things have been tried and you have issues with the superhub.

imranm
25-05-2011, 18:09
We can't have every customer contacting the CEO office just for a modem. That's not their job lol. It should be a last resort if all other things have been tried and you have issues with the superhub.

I spoke to technical support and they weren't very helpful, rather than waste my time I contacted the CEOs office for a resolution.

You're right their job shouldn't be handing out modems etc however unfortunately it is due to obstacles in place by other VM staff IMO.

Nevertheless their job is to ensure customer issues are dealt with promptly with a positive outcome, in my case it has.

Peter_
25-05-2011, 18:12
You're right their job shouldn't be handing out modems etc however unfortunately it is due to obstacles in place by other VM staff IMO.

What obstacle is that then, as even from when the VMNG300 was introduced we never had the option to send out one as a replacement it always had to be a technician visit.

imranm
25-05-2011, 18:36
What obstacle is that then, as even from when the VMNG300 was introduced we never had the option to send out one as a replacement it always had to be a technician visit.

The fact that I didn't want the SuperHub and the ONLY folk at VM who could do that and send out a modem ++ were CS agents in the "CEOs" office.

Peter_
25-05-2011, 20:33
The fact that I didn't want the SuperHub and the ONLY folk at VM who could do that and send out a modem ++ were CS agents in the "CEOs" office.
As I have said many times only the CEO's office can do that as we have never been able to and if you rang and asked for one that is what they would tell you but some would advise contacting the CEO's office.

Not sure of the stock but they will be finite but modem only mode for the Superhub is on the horizon so soon enough that will no longer matter from that point.

imranm
25-05-2011, 23:51
As I have said many times only the CEO's office can do that as we have never been able to and if you rang and asked for one that is what they would tell you but some would advise contacting the CEO's office.

Not sure of the stock but they will be finite but modem only mode for the Superhub is on the horizon so soon enough that will no longer matter from that point.

Don't get me wrong VM tech staff have been great to deal with it's not your fault that you can't issue a VMNG300 as a replacement for the SuperHub that's something that management should give the power to do so but it isn't something they actively want to advertise I suppose.

Peter_
26-05-2011, 06:46
Don't get me wrong VM tech staff have been great to deal with it's not your fault that you can't issue a VMNG300 as a replacement for the SuperHub that's something that management should give the power to do so but it isn't something they actively want to advertise I suppose.
I yhink you have misread what I mean, even when the VMNG300 was on general release we never had the permissions to send out replacements as they were not on the system to be sent out, and as they are no longer a stock item and not kept in the warehouse we could not even be given the permissions now to send them.