PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Can no longer split the signal

Wildean
16-05-2011, 05:11
Hi there.

I hope what I'll post here will make sense to someone - it's sensible inside my head but I'm not sure if I can get it into words.

Until the start of the weekend, my connection was fine, I had no problems with the Superhub and the 30Mb broadband. (I'm on an ex-ntl connection in LS13).
My setup was that I had a (ridiculously long) loose cable running into the living room and connected to a Splitter - one end connected to the set top box, the other to the Superhub.

Friday night I noticed that I had a full strength signal for about five minutes at a time,and then it would dwindle down to zero for a couple of minutes and then back up to full speed. As it was quite late I decided to check it out the following morning. The online Service Status said there were no problems.

Saturday morning I had nothing. There was no connection whatsoever. I checked the LEDs on the side - the top was alternating every ten seconds or so - first a steady on-off blink (blinking about once a second) and the middle one completely blank. Then the top one would blink rapidly while the middle would blink steadily.
I rang 151 and reported it - she checked something online then told me to switch the hub off and on; after the normal booting process it connected properly, so I ended the call. The connection lasted five minutes and didn't return.

On Sunday I checked all the cable connections were tight, which had no effect. I then swapped the cable from the Splitter to the hub (My superhub came with three such cables; they're noticeably thinner than the main cable) with no change. I even tried swapping back to my old splitter (all this equipment is supplied by VM).
I've now got broadband running by connecting the main cable directly to the Superhub - it connects very quickly and I get a constant full-speed connection. But this means I can't use the TV service.

Is there anything else I can try?

I've tried to follow the procedure to get my current signal levels so I'll paste in what I've copied:

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 298750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK
Security Enabled BPI+
Downstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power SNR Docsis/EuroDocsis locked
Locked QAM256 30 55616000 Kbits/sec 298750000 Hz 19.7 dBmV 42.2 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 31 55616000 Kbits/sec 306750000 Hz 19.9 dBmV 42.3 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 32 55616000 Kbits/sec 314750000 Hz 19.3 dBmV 41.9 dB Hybrid
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknown
Upstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power
Locked ATDMA 1 20480 Kbits/sec 45800000 Hz 58.2 dBmV
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID 5836
Max Traffic Rate 33330000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 3044 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID 5835
Max Traffic Rate 3333000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 8160 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst 8160 bytes
Scheduling Type Best Effort

(I'm sorry to be so long-winded but I can't express myself any clearer. Thank you for your patience.

raging bull
16-05-2011, 08:10
What you need to do is put the splitter back to as was.
Then determine what your upload/download signal levels are.
(I can't advise what they should be as still on Ambit 256 modem)
Ring Virgin on 151 and they will sort it, tech most likely adjust as required.
Both my daughter and myself (living in LS13) had this same problem over last couple of weeks.

Peter_
16-05-2011, 08:34
You need to replace everything and call technical support as the downstream at close to 20 is to high and the upstream at over 58 is also to high and will probably need a engineer to sort it out for you.

Wildean
16-05-2011, 12:56
You need to replace everything and call technical support as the downstream at close to 20 is to high and the upstream at over 58 is also to high and will probably need a engineer to sort it out for you.

Will they be able to sort it out without a home visit?

Peter_
16-05-2011, 13:27
Will they be able to sort it out without a home visit?
If the power levels are still out then only a technician can fix it as it cannot be done remotely.