PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media & Vonage

carlwaring
15-05-2011, 20:50
Just out of interest, is anyone here using Vonage on their VM 10MB broadband service? If so, I'd appreciate your comments on it as I was thinking of recommending it to my parents as an alternative to a standard land-line.

The last time I tried it I only had their 2MB service, which was only 128k upload, IIRC.

According to Vonage themselves...
Vonage phone adapter requires a maximum bandwidth speed of 120 kbps on both upload and download. Vonage recommends an upload speed of 90kbps or greater per phone line. A lower upload speed could affect the quality of your calls.

... so I think 10MB down/1MB* up should be okay, shouldn't it?

Thanks.

Also, if anyone is with Vonage, I'd be happy for them to get something out of it by 'recommending' my parents. (2 months free is the current offer ;))

jb66
15-05-2011, 22:46
Unless they get throttled...

craigj2k12
15-05-2011, 22:48
Unless they get throttled...

they shouldnt get throttled to less than 120kb upload on STM, but does it use p2p, as it might get throttled to less than 120 under the p2p management (if it uses p2p, i dont know)

Skie
15-05-2011, 22:57
If VM are throttling rival telecoms providers via their scattershot "P2P" system then that could cause quite a stink.

carlwaring
15-05-2011, 23:14
they shouldnt get throttled to less than 120kb upload on STM..
I think Vonage uses 120k combined up/download so I wonder how long it would have to be continuously used for to trigger the STM. I'm guessing a few days :D

tabatha
18-05-2011, 12:43
I have been using Vonage for the past 5 years...with both 2MB and now 10MB.

I have never had any problems, apart from when BB goes down.

They have some good offers, and an excellent Customer service.

carlwaring
18-05-2011, 14:20
I have been using Vonage for the past 5 years...with both 2MB and now 10MB.
I tried it with the 2MB service back in 2007 and it simply wasn't good enough :confused:

kwikbreaks
18-05-2011, 14:52
What naffs up VOIP is jitter more than bandwidth. I have used VOIP for all my outgoing calls on VM since I got it a year ago on 20Mbps 768up (iirc) and it was fine. I swapped over to Vonage once my years worth of VM phone contract was up and I could transfer the number to them. It works just fine but I'm on 50/5 now so I'd expect it to.

carlwaring
18-05-2011, 15:37
What dfference did dropping the phone line make the your package price and discounts? I'd like to swap to Vonage too but have a feeling that it won't be financially worth it.

pip08456
18-05-2011, 15:42
What dfference did dropping the phone line make the your package price and discounts? I'd like to swap to Vonage too but have a feeling that it won't be financially worth it.

I doubt you would see any benefit. I was on BB+Phone purely as it worked out cheaper by having the bundle than having BB alone.

carlwaring
18-05-2011, 15:45
Indeed. That is what I thought, pip. Which makes switching kinda pointless.

Then again... I could go back from XL phone (£9 per month) to the M pack (free) then the £5.99 I spend on Vonage would still get me all my 01/01/03 calls.

Then again, there's the first month's £25 which would kill my savings for a while!

If I did that and transferred my number, would VM just give me another one free or would it cost me?

Hmmm. Something to think about :)

pip08456
18-05-2011, 15:47
If you transfer your number you are basically cancelling your phone service with VM.

kwikbreaks
18-05-2011, 17:18
Well my wife actually uses the phone so that's where the savings come in. I'll run through my before and after bills as if I was getting anytime national calls from VM - I wasn't I was on VOIP and the main reason I swapped from that provider to Vonage was to get a normal phone number on outgoing calls instead of a VOIP one.

VM Phone (post discounts)
VM phone £12.99
50Mbps BB £25
Caller ID £2.05 (wife insists)
Total = £39.04
Add in anytime calls @ ~ £8 and that is £48.04

VM BB + Vonage
50Mbps £35
Vonage UK £5.99 (caller ID + some other options free)
Total = £40.99

That means I get anytime national calls for £1.95p a month.

I still have some VOIP credit which I can use with my smartphone for the infrequent 0845 0870 numbers I can't avoid by using saynoto0870

---------- Post added at 16:18 ---------- Previous post was at 16:08 ----------

Then again, there's the first month's £25 which would kill my savings for a while!You can cancel out the setup charges by signing up through a cashback site.

The number transfer automatically cancels the VM phone. I spoke to cancellations to confirm no early terminations fees (there were but < £2) and the discount as list price for 50Mbps is £45. Despite the confirmation they screwed up the billing and I had to call in to get it corrected (21p off my old VOIP credit)

carlwaring
19-05-2011, 00:06
If you transfer your number you are basically cancelling your phone service with VM.
Oh bum :(

Might have to call up 'retentions' tomorrow and just have a little "what if..." chat :)

---------- Post added at 23:06 ---------- Previous post was at 23:04 ----------

You can cancel out the setup charges by signing up through a cashback site.

Any recommendations? I was gonna ask you to refer me (or my dad) so you got something out of it, but this way sounds better ;)

pip08456
19-05-2011, 00:06
There's no what if, if you are porting your number.

carlwaring
19-05-2011, 00:19
Sorry. I was meaning what effect removing the phone package would do to my pricing and discounts :)

kwikbreaks
19-05-2011, 07:25
Any recommendations? I was gonna ask you to refer me (or my dad) so you got something out of it, but this way sounds better ;)This same topic led to some cretin accusing me of spamming last time around and a heated exchange. I was very unhappy with some of the moderating decisions taken and voluntarily left this board for several months only just bothering to come back.

That said the two to check are TopCashBack and Quidco. I have used Quidco for several years and earned ~ £700-800 back but moved to TopCashBack as they have an affiliate scheme which I use on a couple of my websites (and I didn't even mention that last time around)