PDA

View Full Version : Want new modem wired

cupcakes aka dd
12-05-2011, 17:57
I'm having a new VM modem being sent to me by carrier as the old once is ancient and only giving me 7meg speeds.

Three questions

1) I have 20meg BB will it be a combined modem / router?

2) Do I call 151 to have it activated and will I be able to use the old one if needed or will I have to call 151 to re-activate it?

3) I wish to use it wired. How do I disable the wireless feature?

Thanks in advance.

Mick Fisher
12-05-2011, 18:36
I'm having a new VM modem being sent to me by carrier as the old once is ancient and only giving me 7meg speeds.

Three questions

2) Do I call 151 to have it activated and will I be able to use the old one if needed or will I have to call 151 to re-activate it?

Thanks in advance.
1) It's supposed to be like for like but who knows..........?

2) You will have to call to be activated. If you get a hub you will not be able to get it de activated.

3) IIRC the media hub has a manual button and an option within it's HTML interface.

pip08456
12-05-2011, 18:55
1) It's supposed to be like for like but who knows..........?

2) You will have to call to be activated. If you get a hub you will not be able to get it de activated.

3) IIRC the media hub has a manual button and an option within it's HTML interface.

????????????

craigj2k12
12-05-2011, 19:42
once its activated i think he means ;)

Peter_
12-05-2011, 21:45

Three questions

Thanks in advance.
To switch off the wireless and the wireless SSID broadcast just click http://192.168.0.1/ the username is admin and the password is changeme, then click on Advanced Wireless settings on the bottom left hand side and untick Wireless Radio and SSID Broadcast click apply and no one will see your modem.

BenMcr
12-05-2011, 22:42
Or use the physical button on the front as mentioned earlier?

Full help is available on the Virgin site:

How do I disable wireless on the Virgin Media Hub? (http://help.virginmedia.com/system/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=D81DDC3C-1CF3-4FCB-A739-79FB23551C47)

cupcakes aka dd
12-05-2011, 23:51
Cheers chaps

---------- Post added at 22:51 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

At the moment I'm using a standalone router. Will the hub give me the same protection that the router does? I'll have three computers connected from the hub. I've just read that if you disable wireless you cannot use a separate router with the hub?

Scrub that just read the hub is a router as well.

cupcakes aka dd
13-05-2011, 17:57
Whoooaaa they have sent me an Ambit 256 modem.

Knock myself out :rolleyes:

Can anyone confirm this is not a wireless modem?

craigj2k12
13-05-2011, 18:00
its a modem only, there is no built in router, unless its a superhub or standard-hub

Peter_
13-05-2011, 18:00
Whoooaaa they have sent me an Ambit 256 modem.

Knock myself out :rolleyes:

Can anyone confirm this is not a wireless modem?
It is a standard modem nothing more and definitely not wireless.

cupcakes aka dd
16-05-2011, 17:03
Chaps I have a spare VM Netgear WGR614 Wireless Router I want to use instead of my old one.

I only want to use it wired.

Is it just a case of plugging it in and it will work and doing the following to switch off the wireless?

Go to http://www.routerlogin.net. The username is Virgin and the password is password, then click on Advanced Wireless settings and untick Wireless Radio and SSID Broadcast click apply and no one will see your modem.