PDA

View Full Version : 50M SuperHub > Draytek Vigor2820n problems

gerhard
12-05-2011, 15:02
I just upgraded my 10Mb to a 50Mb and reluctantly gave up my beloved Cisco poodle.

The short version

Client > SuperHub > Internetz:
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/100.png

Client > Draytek Vigor 2820n > SuperHub > Internetz:
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/101.png

The long version

When I connect the SuperHub to Draytek's WAN port, I cannot exceed ~10Mbps on download. Upload speed is brilliant though, exactly what it should be. I did these tests at least 20 times, different configurations, that's the best that I can get out of both setups.

I went through every single setting on the SuperHub, no difference. I've even set the uplink to 100Mbps full-duplex explicitly on Draytek's WAN port, same result.

Is it the crappy DHCP router on the SuperHub? Anyone running a similar setup, Client > Router > SuperHub > Internetz? Any DrayTek guys out there?

Virgin Tech support is absolutely hopeless, I can't believe I wasted another 10 minutes with them on the phone, no real troubleshooting skills, just "computer says no" sort of people.

craigj2k12
12-05-2011, 16:29
have you got QoS active on the draytek? it might be limiting your bandwidth

also, you might as well try a factory reset on the draytek incase there are settings that have been set that you cant find

it isnt the DHCP on the superhub, DHCP is ip addresses, not speed

MovedGoalPosts
12-05-2011, 16:35
Presumably you don't see fast speeds if yo uare using the wireless n on the Draytek, as well as the wired.

Are there two firewalls running on both Superhub and Draytek? Is the connection actually running at 100mbits between Superhub and Draytek, or is it only doing 10mbits?

craigj2k12
12-05-2011, 16:38
I've even set the uplink to 100Mbps full-duplex explicitly on Draytek's WAN port

the superhub LAN ports are gigabit, so well capable of the 100mb supposedly set on the draytek

gerhard
12-05-2011, 18:33
have you got QoS active on the draytek? it might be limiting your bandwidth

also, you might as well try a factory reset on the draytek incase there are settings that have been set that you cant find

it isnt the DHCP on the superhub, DHCP is ip addresses, not speed

Craig, you must have diamond nuts mate. It was the QoS indeed, WAN2 was capped at 10Mbps, my old subscription limit. Because the SuperHub doesn't pass it's connection details to the Draytek like the old Cisco modem used to, Draytek is using the default 10Mbps up & 10Mbps down limit.

I was getting a bit paranoid, thinking the DHCP was somehow limiting each client to 10Mbps, but you're right, if you think about it, it doesn't make sense.

Virgin Media should make you Level 3 Tech Support, let you fill in your own pay cheques :D.

This is thanks to you Craig:
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/111.png

---------- Post added at 18:30 ---------- Previous post was at 18:27 ----------

Presumably you don't see fast speeds if yo uare using the wireless n on the Draytek, as well as the wired.

Are there two firewalls running on both Superhub and Draytek? Is the connection actually running at 100mbits between Superhub and Draytek, or is it only doing 10mbits?

When using wireless, even if the laptop is right next to the Draytek, I can't get past 30Mb on the download. I switched to wired and, well, see my previous post.

I've disabled the firewall on the SuperHub, I swear by my Draytek. It has all the fine-tunings that I need, including Firewall configs, QoS & VPN connections, nothing comes close to it in terms of versatility.

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:30 ----------

the superhub LAN ports are gigabit, so well capable of the 100mb supposedly set on the draytek

Mmmm, that's good to know. The file server is attached to the Draytek's only gigabit port. Since I trust its security more, the SuperHub will only ever act as a modem in my case. I was perfectly happy with the Cisco TBH, would have chosen it anytime over the SuperHub. :cool:

craigj2k12
12-05-2011, 18:44
Craig, you must have diamond nuts mate

I do :D

Mmmm, that's good to know. The file server is attached to the Draytek's only gigabit port. Since I trust its security more, the SuperHub will only ever act as a modem in my case. I was perfectly happy with the Cisco TBH, would have chosen it anytime over the SuperHub. :cool:

wait till bridge mode is released, you will have a decent setup

pip08456
12-05-2011, 18:45
Just in case, if you are using XP as your OS you need to run TCPOptimiser (http://download.cnet.com/SG-TCP-Optimizer/3000-2155_4-10415840.html)
Also now works on Vista and win7.

craigj2k12
12-05-2011, 18:47
Just in case, if you are using XP as your OS you need to run TCPOptimiser (http://download.cnet.com/SG-TCP-Optimizer/3000-2155_4-10415840.html)
Also now works on Vista and win7.

the software is now compatible with vista and 7 but it doesnt need to be run, the default values for vista and 7 allow it to do more than 300mb

pip08456
12-05-2011, 18:48
I only added that as an aside. It needs to be run if on XP.

craigj2k12
12-05-2011, 18:53
I only added that as an aside. It needs to be run if on XP.

well the OP posted a speedtest @ 50mb so it wasnt needed anyway ;) :D

gerhard
12-05-2011, 18:57
wait till bridge mode is released, you will have a decent setup

Now that's what I'm talking about! That would be like diamonds in a platinum housing :D. Is that going to be a firmware update? Which page/forum/mailing list should I be watching for info on this?

craigj2k12
12-05-2011, 19:00
Now that's what I'm talking about! That would be like diamonds in a platinum housing :D. Is that going to be a firmware update? Which page/forum/mailing list should I be watching for info on this?

not really, you still have the superhub with its intrusive flashing lights! :D my setup cannot be beaten, VMNG and Asus RT-N16

Well.... the router can be beaten, but whatever

ccarmock
12-05-2011, 23:44
Also I'd advise to set your WAN 1 port on the Draytek to auto speed & duplex now. Unless you can fix the Superhubs speed too you are likely to get a duplex mismatch. Rule of thumb is fixed both ends or auto both ends but not a combination of the two.

Also I believe you can set the Draytek to NO NAT mode, which would eliminate the double NAT you'd otherwise get.

Of course you'll need to re-enable that again if you use bridge mode on the Superhub when it's available.

Chrysalis
15-05-2011, 10:37
I just upgraded my 10Mb to a 50Mb and reluctantly gave up my beloved Cisco poodle.

The short version

Client > SuperHub > Internetz:
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/100.png

Client > Draytek Vigor 2820n > SuperHub > Internetz:
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/101.png

The long version

When I connect the SuperHub to Draytek's WAN port, I cannot exceed ~10Mbps on download. Upload speed is brilliant though, exactly what it should be. I did these tests at least 20 times, different configurations, that's the best that I can get out of both setups.

I went through every single setting on the SuperHub, no difference. I've even set the uplink to 100Mbps full-duplex explicitly on Draytek's WAN port, same result.

Is it the crappy DHCP router on the SuperHub? Anyone running a similar setup, Client > Router > SuperHub > Internetz? Any DrayTek guys out there?

Virgin Tech support is absolutely hopeless, I can't believe I wasted another 10 minutes with them on the phone, no real troubleshooting skills, just "computer says no" sort of people.

set the wan port to auto negotiate. The manual setting may have caused issues. Especially if the superhub is still set to auto which it will be as it cannot be overriden. After that set mtu manually to 1500 on both routers.