PDA

View Full Version : air conditioner

Chrysalis
08-05-2011, 21:31
I am looking at some units, admittedly cheap ones that are also low cost to run low wattage. I am not going to expect the same performance as a proper expensive air conditioner but am hoping for something that provides 'some' improvement at a bearable cost.

The ones I am looking at are devices that fill up with water and cool the air, are under 100 watts power and my guess is also humidify the air. However I have also seen dehumidifiers.

Do I want to moisture the air or dry it? does the air get dryer in the summer or more moist? my guess is it gets drier?

If anyone has any units they reccomend here I would appreciate it, ideally below £100 and not expensive to run.

Mick
08-05-2011, 22:15
I'll be surprised if you can find a A/C unit that uses so little Wattage. A/C units require a lot of power.

Next best thing are Air coolers - I have one and they are extremely cheap to run - Not as good as a Air conditioner but a lot better than a normal cooling fan.

Lord Nikon
08-05-2011, 22:23
you could always DIY - http://www.instructables.com/id/Portable-12V-Air-Conditioner---Cheap-and-easy!/

martyh
08-05-2011, 22:24
I am looking at some units, admittedly cheap ones that are also low cost to run low wattage. I am not going to expect the same performance as a proper expensive air conditioner but am hoping for something that provides 'some' improvement at a bearable cost.

The ones I am looking at are devices that fill up with water and cool the air, are under 100 watts power and my guess is also humidify the air. However I have also seen dehumidifiers.

Do I want to moisture the air or dry it? does the air get dryer in the summer or more moist? my guess is it gets drier?

If anyone has any units they reccomend here I would appreciate it, ideally below £100 and not expensive to run.

There is a big difference between air conditioners and dehumidifiers A dehumidifier will remove excess water vapour from the air and can dry the air out too much which is not a good thing for people with respiratory problems.Air conditioners will both remove moisture and cool the air

Chrysalis
08-05-2011, 23:14
I'll be surprised if you can find a A/C unit that uses so little Wattage. A/C units require a lot of power.

Next best thing are Air coolers - I have one and they are extremely cheap to run - Not as good as a Air conditioner but a lot better than a normal cooling fan.

yeah now I think about it these cheap ones I found are air coolers. :) so thats what I meant sorry.

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:11 ----------

There is a big difference between air conditioners and dehumidifiers A dehumidifier will remove excess water vapour from the air and can dry the air out too much which is not a good thing for people with respiratory problems.Air conditioners will both remove moisture and cool the air

ok so not a good thing then.

The air 'coolers' I have been looking at would seem to moisturise the air, humidify it so do the opposite. I hope thats a good thing.

Ordered one now so will find out next week. Usually I just put up with it but I have an eye condition now that is very sensitive to summer conditions and is already getting noticebly worse only in may. Even walking into my bathroom gives it significant relief, the bathroom incidently has no windows and no sunlight so always feels fresher and cooler.

martyh
08-05-2011, 23:21
ok so not a good thing then.

The air 'coolers' I have been looking at would seem to moisturise the air, humidify it so do the opposite. I hope thats a good thing.

Ordered one now so will find out next week. Usually I just put up with it but I have an eye condition now that is very sensitive to summer conditions and is already getting noticebly worse only in may. Even walking into my bathroom gives it significant relief, the bathroom incidently has no windows and no sunlight so always feels fresher and cooler.

All depends on what your requirements are .simply cooling warm air will "squeeze" the moisture out leading to condensation ,the same applies to adding moisture to cool air .

Chrysalis
08-05-2011, 23:37
I am not sure on that. What I know is the condition of the air now is less favourable to me than it is in winter. I know one condition is heat but am unsure if air is dryer or moister in summer. Given my eyes are getting very dry I am guessing less dry air will be favourable, and also that things improve in the bathroom which has condensation from things like the bath/shower been used as well.

martyh
09-05-2011, 00:08
I am not sure on that. What I know is the condition of the air now is less favourable to me than it is in winter. I know one condition is heat but am unsure if air is dryer or moister in summer. Given my eyes are getting very dry I am guessing less dry air will be favourable, and also that things improve in the bathroom which has condensation from things like the bath/shower been used as well.

I would suggest a moist air then .The problem you will face with a air conditioner is that although it will cool the air it will also reduce humidity ,they are designed to do this to make it easier for humans to perspire ,a de humidifier will do the same thing without cooling the air .I would be inclined to go for a air cooler which wont remove moisture but remember that warm air doesn't mean dry air .Typically warm air can hold a lot more moisture but in long dry spells such as we have had the last 2 months the air dries out which i suspect is the issue you have it's not the temperature that is the problem but the amount of water vapour in the air .Central heating is a bad thing for creating warm dry air so a little trick my parents do is put vases in all rooms with water in them to stop the air dryng out even if the heating is off

Chrysalis
09-05-2011, 00:10
good news so sounds like I have done the right thing then.

Indeed, on the heating as well, when I stayed at my parents last winter and they had central heating on it set my eyes off very badly. Same here, I had to turn my central heating off last winter as it made my eyes worse.

martyh
09-05-2011, 00:22
good news so sounds like I have done the right thing then.

Indeed, on the heating as well, when I stayed at my parents last winter and they had central heating on it set my eyes off very badly. Same here, I had to turn my central heating off last winter as it made my eyes worse.

sounds like dry air is the issue then ,incidentally you can buy humidifiers very cheaply £20-40 or make your own with a bowl of water a towel and a small weight ,fill the bowel with water ,place the towel over the top add enough weight to sink the towel into the water ,this will evaporate water into the atmosphere at a self regulating rate dependant on how high/low the humidity is worth trying as a experiment before buying any equipment that will do the same job but look better ;)

Chrysalis
09-05-2011, 00:27
heat is an issue as well, eg. I get relief at night and is not so bad in the mornings whilst the sun is on the other side of the building. I already plan to do tonight a DIY with a bowl of water following your post about the vase's :)

mrmistoffelees
09-05-2011, 09:35
Have you perhaps considered air purifiers ?

Lloyds pharmacy sell them for I think it's approx £10 each.

However, If you have a TJ Hughes near you they are currently £4.99 each I bought two one for my bedroom and for my lounge and they're brill.

Don't know if it is of help at all.........

Chrysalis
09-05-2011, 11:02
Well I need the temperature down thats a certianty, cleaning the air to me will be a bonus but the primary focus is reducing the temp. I cant use a fan as it dries my eyes out plus it only blows warm air anyway.

raging bull
09-05-2011, 12:02
As a short term treatment, have you tried Celluvisc - Eye drop solution on prescription?
I have problems with dry eyes, use the above as and when it gets bad.

Chrysalis
10-05-2011, 19:05
well its already here, not bad considering I paid on sunday and was quoted 3 day delivery and was free delivery.

Now its rated as 70 watts, but in terms of the noise and the very powerful airflow (more powerful than my fan for sure). I am scratching me head as to how its only 70 watts when a fan which does no cooling and only blows air uses 1000 watts. I find it too hard to believe and will test the actual power usage with an adaptor.

Currently there is no ice in there and here is my review.

The air when using my hand to feel it is cooler than the air my fan blows, so is blowing out cooler air however the room doesnt seem to feel noticebly cooler but the day isnt particurly hot either its been cloudy most of the day. Will see what the long term affects are of moisturising the air will be.

banjo
10-05-2011, 20:09
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?fh_view_size=12&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories<{9372015}/categories<{9372041}&fh_eds=ß&&_requestid=37420&listerGallery=true