PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Technical question!

fixerman
08-05-2011, 09:13
My knowledge of modem technology is just about zero, so my question is, why on occasions can I not get a wireless device to gain Internet access, without rebooting the modem when other wireless devices have Internet with no problem. For example this morning I could not get Internet access on my iPad but no problem on my iPhone. A reboot of the modem and all was well again. This has happened on several occasions.:confused:

I am on 30mb Superhub!:)

Nopanic
08-05-2011, 09:22
uh oh ..

Ignitionnet
08-05-2011, 09:29
I am on 30mb Superhub!:)

The bit I've put in bold is all you need to know. It's by a mile the worst piece of hardware I've used at home having been online at home on broadband connections for over 10 years across 6 addresses, 4 VM connections all with different modem and router and 5 ADSL providers, with different CPE for each.

fixerman
09-05-2011, 08:31
The bit I've put in bold is all you need to know. It's by a mile the worst piece of hardware I've used at home having been online at home on broadband connections for over 10 years across 6 addresses, 4 VM connections all with different modem and router and 5 ADSL providers, with different CPE for each.

Well! That's not a very encouraging response. I was hoping for a more technical explanation why I was having this experience.:shocked:

Nopanic
09-05-2011, 08:33
There isn't really one, looking at it from a support point of view, if one piece of equipment is failing, then its that, that's at fault.. (i.e the failing wireless device) but as its the Superhub your not going to get much more from this forum :)

Ignitionnet
12-05-2011, 18:01
There isn't really one, looking at it from a support point of view, if one piece of equipment is failing, then its that, that's at fault.. (i.e the failing wireless device) but as its the Superhub your not going to get much more from this forum :)

The iPad was just an example and the impression given was that the affected client device varies.

So let's look at it from the support perspective rather than a defending the Superhub perspective.

What is the common link in the faults? The Superhub.
What remedial action resolves it? Power cycling the Superhub.

So let's look from a technical support perspective at what a reload of the Superhub will do.

Will it reset the wireless adapter on the affected client device? No.
Will it reset the IP stack of the affected device and make it perform DHCP transactions differently if it is getting wireless association with the Superhub? No.
Indeed will it have any effect at all on the affected client device? No.

Will it reset the wireless adapter on the access point? Yep.
Will it reset the IP stack and DHCP server on the access point? Yep
Will it clear the RAM of the access point clearing any software bug causing problems with either wireless or higher protocol stack functionality? Yep.

---------- Post added at 18:01 ---------- Previous post was at 17:59 ----------

Well! That's not a very encouraging response. I was hoping for a more technical explanation why I was having this experience.:shocked:

You'd need to ask the tools who write the Superhub firmware for a more technical explanation. It seems to be getting more software updates than Windows so shouldn't be too long before you see R27 rushed out.

pip08456
12-05-2011, 18:14
You'd need to ask the tools who write the Superhub firmware for a more technical explanation. It seems to be getting more software updates than Windows so shouldn't be too long before you see R27 rushed out.

I thought they were Monkeys!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/89.jpg

R27 is supposed to be released beginning of June.

Watch out for R28, R29 and R30!

craigj2k12
12-05-2011, 18:50
Watch out for R28, R29 and R30!

I cant see them getting R27 right, so queue R28, ........ , R45 etc.

all they need to do is disable the router so the device becomes a standalone modem, and I bet you they do something wrong in the firmware like once its in bridge mode you cant get it out, or cant even access the web interface

they may even go to a higher level of stupidity like make it so the superhub cant receive any further firmware updates lol that would be funny, having thousands of superhubs which need replacing

Stephen
12-05-2011, 19:36
That is just a silly post and wouldn't happen at all.

craigj2k12
12-05-2011, 19:40
That is just a silly post and wouldn't happen at all.

on the face of it, it sounds silly, but if we take a look at whats happened in the last couple of firmwares!

bridge mode should be an easier thing to do, compared with the stuff they tried (and failed) with the other firmwares. As we saw with SSH enabled, we managed to get a bridge mode working pretty simply, just disabling the router functions etc, all they have to do is put those commands behind a couple of radio buttons and the opposite commands for turning the router back on. I can see that they are taking their time with the bridge mode firmware and they are probably making sure that it is perfect before rolling it out, one would hope! :D

Ignitionnet
13-05-2011, 20:17
Given that this thing was on, what, R20 in January and we're looking at R27 in, err, May, you can forgive the cynicism.

pip08456
13-05-2011, 20:32
I never consider you to be a cynic Igni, that would be silly!:D:D:D:D

Nopanic
14-05-2011, 00:01

The iPad was just an example and the impression given was that the affected client device varies.

So let's look at it from the support perspective rather than a defending the Superhub perspective.

What is the common link in the faults? The Superhub.
What remedial action resolves it? Power cycling the Superhub.

So let's look from a technical support perspective at what a reload of the Superhub will do.

Will it reset the wireless adapter on the affected client device? No.
Will it reset the IP stack of the affected device and make it perform DHCP transactions differently if it is getting wireless association with the Superhub? No.
Indeed will it have any effect at all on the affected client device? No.

Will it reset the wireless adapter on the access point? Yep.
Will it reset the IP stack and DHCP server on the access point? Yep
Will it clear the RAM of the access point clearing any software bug causing problems with either wireless or higher protocol stack functionality? Yep.

---------- Post added at 18:01 ---------- Previous post was at 17:59 ----------

See :D

Ignitionnet
14-05-2011, 09:21
See :D

:)

zekeisaszekedoes
16-05-2011, 13:26
Most wireless problems are caused by the 300Mbps mode on the super hub (I'm going to stop title casing it from now on), which is unstable and can cause lockups requiring a reboot, especially when wirelessly transferring large files.

Put it on 145Mbps mode and it'll work more reliably, however if you have a 100Mb broadband service this now means any wireless devices won't be able to make the most of it, which is odd because of course part of the reason it exists is so all devices can make use of the flagship 100Mb tier whether they are wired or wireless.

pip08456
16-05-2011, 15:32
Most wireless problems are caused by the 300Mbps mode on the super hub (I'm going to stop title casing it from now on), which is unstable and can cause lockups requiring a reboot, especially when wirelessly transferring large files.

Put it on 145Mbps mode and it'll work more reliably, however if you have a 100Mb broadband service this now means any wireless devices won't be able to make the most of it, which is odd because of course part of the reason it exists is so all devices can make use of the flagship 100Mb tier whether they are wired or wireless.

You forgot to add it's future proof for higher tiers!
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2015/12/3.gif

zekeisaszekedoes
16-05-2011, 22:03
Yeah, well, the way things are going it'll be a 100Mbps only device before being replaced by some other equally inadequate combi modem/router that'll be ill-equipped to handle 200Mbps WAN side. :D

craigj2k12
16-05-2011, 22:07
Yeah, well, the way things are going it'll be a 100Mbps only device before being replaced by some other equally inadequate combi modem/router that'll be ill-equipped to handle 200Mbps WAN side. :D

never mind lan side ;)

zekeisaszekedoes
16-05-2011, 22:29
Yep, very easy to kill it on the LAN side. A router that cannot route, it's amusing. :D

craigj2k12
16-05-2011, 22:30
Yep, very easy to kill it on the LAN side. A router that cannot route, it's amusing. :D

thats netgear for you. im using a gigabit switch made by netgear, its unmanaged, so there is no interface for netgear to screw up, but it does do some dodgy stuff from time to time

Skie
16-05-2011, 22:50
My superhubs wireless wouldnt allow connections when in 145 mode and required a restart daily while in 300 mode.

Superb bit of kit!

craigj2k12
16-05-2011, 22:52
My superhubs wireless wouldnt allow connections when in 145 mode and required a restart daily while in 300 mode.

Superb bit of kit!

its amazing, and im sure the fun will start again with the next firmware update

scott.deagan
17-05-2011, 22:19
I'm not confident that adding a "Bridge Mode" to R27 is going to solve all the problems. I was on the 20Mb service (separate modem/router) since it was released in my area and not ONCE did I have to call Virgin Media.

The reason why I do no believe adding a Bridge Mode will be the magic pill is because I'm using my "Super" Hub as a modem only (I've turned off wireless functionality, placed a WNR2000v2 in the DMZ and connected it via a cable). I am still experiencing issues, such as video and audio streams freezing (and not starting again once they stop), SSH connections being disconnected, PPTP connections freezing and then dropping (etc, etc, etc).

The problems are intermittent, but they happen (too) frequently and on Linux, Windows, and OSX. I also experience the same reliability issues if using wired or wireless connections. Setting the WiFi mode to 54Mb, 145Mb, or 300Mb does not help.

I wish I had never been suckered in to the so called "free" 30Mb upgrade (I was seduced by the promise of a 3Mb upstream). I should have checked the forums first. I did ask to downgrade back to the 20Mb service within 14 days, but Virgin were not going to give me back the old DOCSIS 2 modem - I would still be stuck with the "super" hub.

I don't know if I can wait any longer for the R27 release, and I'm not confident that R27 is going to fix anything at all (judging by Virgin's responses in the forums, if they believe it's just a WiFi issue then they're not going to fix the real problem(s)). A very simple solution would be to allow customers to using their own DOCSIS 3 modems.

Anyway, for me, personally, every time the "glitch" manifests it feels like a hot knife being thrust into the heart of my digital persona. My contract is up, and now there's a new fibre provider in town :).

pip08456
17-05-2011, 22:22
The point is you can't use the hub as a modem only until bridge mode is implemented.

Chrysalis
18-05-2011, 08:23
I'm not confident that adding a "Bridge Mode" to R27 is going to solve all the problems. I was on the 20Mb service (separate modem/router) since it was released in my area and not ONCE did I have to call Virgin Media.

The reason why I do no believe adding a Bridge Mode will be the magic pill is because I'm using my "Super" Hub as a modem only (I've turned off wireless functionality, placed a WNR2000v2 in the DMZ and connected it via a cable). I am still experiencing issues, such as video and audio streams freezing (and not starting again once they stop), SSH connections being disconnected, PPTP connections freezing and then dropping (etc, etc, etc).

The problems are intermittent, but they happen (too) frequently and on Linux, Windows, and OSX. I also experience the same reliability issues if using wired or wireless connections. Setting the WiFi mode to 54Mb, 145Mb, or 300Mb does not help.

I wish I had never been suckered in to the so called "free" 30Mb upgrade (I was seduced by the promise of a 3Mb upstream). I should have checked the forums first. I did ask to downgrade back to the 20Mb service within 14 days, but Virgin were not going to give me back the old DOCSIS 2 modem - I would still be stuck with the "super" hub.

I don't know if I can wait any longer for the R27 release, and I'm not confident that R27 is going to fix anything at all (judging by Virgin's responses in the forums, if they believe it's just a WiFi issue then they're not going to fix the real problem(s)). A very simple solution would be to allow customers to using their own DOCSIS 3 modems.

Anyway, for me, personally, every time the "glitch" manifests it feels like a hot knife being thrust into the heart of my digital persona. My contract is up, and now there's a new fibre provider in town :).

with DMZ the superhub is still processing the packets and routing the traffic.

As a dumb modem it will simply pass thru traffic as is to another singular device.

eg. with DMZ it will still cause timeouts due to its very agressive internal timeout setting and still process everything through NAT tables, as well as still process everything through its firewall. In a dumb modem mode if integrated properly all that should be disabled completely 100%.

kwikbreaks
18-05-2011, 08:55
The question in my mind is can they provide a proper bridge mode with the firmware? The modem outlet port is internal and the ethernet ports on the back are connected to circuitry which is controlled by the router firmware so there will still be at least some software involved which they seem to be expert at getting wrong.

Chrysalis
18-05-2011, 09:11
thats what we will find out.

It may well just be some sort of hack where there is still some internal routing going on.

When the day comes I plan to do some basic tests to see if superhub routing issues remain in bridge mode such as ssh timeouts. IF they all dissapear it would suggest its a proper bridge modem.

I would expect in a proper bridge mode wireless to be non functional and only one ethernet port to work.

kwikbreaks
18-05-2011, 09:44
... with the public IP on that single port.

I don't have a gigabit router and I have a NAS device sitting on one of the Superhub ports so I'll initially continue trying it as a hub to see if they've fixed the various bugs I've had and try out all the wonderful new features they must surely have added considering the time they've been working on it :rolleyes: