PDA

View Full Version : Pyschodynamic psychotherapy

mrmistoffelees
04-05-2011, 19:05
A long shot however.........

Been to my CBT session today to be informed that the therapist has decided that stage three CBT is not the right course of action for me as my issues are more indepth and require another form of treatment. I'm therefore being referred for psychodynamic psychotherapy. Does anyone have any experience, Understandbly if they dont wish to post their experiences here then I'd welcome a PM.

Otherwise im starting to thing im going to remain a window licking mentalist for the rest of time :(

peanut
04-05-2011, 19:48
Psychotherapy is tailored to each person, and it can take ages to find something that can help as you have to go through the mainstream types first, and if they don't work then it's a long road to find that something that might. But at least you're doing something about your problems, see that as a plus.

I'm currently going through CBT but I personally don't think it's helping me much, mine is for pain management, and undoing the damage of years of chronic pain. I've tried quite a few, and some types have helped, but what I find is that if I don't commit to it enough then nothing will work, the hard work is the time you put into it and what rationalization you come to when you think about the sessions afterwards. But sometimes just not being comfortable with the therapist or just their style is enough for therapy not to work. If going through the NHS then sessions can be too far apart to help much and often they (the course) don't last long enough.

I'm now on the waiting list for counselling (again), but the waiting list is 50+ weeks.

Good luck with it whatever, hope it works. :)