PDA

View Full Version : Re-locate Equipment

hedgie
01-05-2011, 12:36
Hi,

Sorry, I'm sure this has been answered before but I really struggle with the search :dunce:

By the end of next week I will have;

TiVO in the lounge
Cable Modem in Bedroom 1
V+ relocated to bedroom 2

Now, can I swap the devices between the rooms or is the splitter in the brown box doing anything different between modem, V+ and TiVO services.

Sorry if its been asked before...;)

craigj2k12
01-05-2011, 13:07
you shouldnt have a problem, but you should check your power levels when you put the new equipment in place, make sure you move any attenuators/equalisers with the equipment its attached to, and it should all be good :)

Peter_
01-05-2011, 13:09
The should be no issues with swapping equipment around, have you had your TiVo fitted yet if not ask the engineer for advice when he arrives.

spiderplant
01-05-2011, 13:43
make sure you move any attenuators/equalisers with the equipment its attached to
That's absolutely wrong. You should leave attenuators etc on the cable they are attached to. They are there to compensate for variations in signal on the cable, not the device attached to it.

But of course it's better to not move stuff yourself at all.

RobboEdin
01-05-2011, 17:01
you shouldnt have a problem, but you should check your power levels when you put the new equipment in place, make sure you move any attenuators/equalisers with the equipment its attached to, and it should all be good :)

That's absolutely wrong. You should leave attenuators etc on the cable they are attached to. They are there to compensate for variations in signal on the cable, not the device attached to it.

This is what the internet is so good at - diametrically opposed views on an issue.

Will we have to get Harry Hill to resolve this in the normal fashion?

hedgie
01-05-2011, 23:24

OK, So if I would expect a bill from VM for calling an engineer out after I have redecorated and swapped rooms around??

On the attenuator issue There were at least two attenuators on my old SA V+ (RIP) when the disk died and I got a Sammy the attenuators went...?

Thanks for the advice, at least theer os no addressing or anything like that so I can swap if it does not wortk its easy enough to swap back.

Thanks for the help all :)

jb66
02-05-2011, 00:28
£99 charge to move your stuff around after.

Its very unlikely there will be a big diference of signals on each wire but spiderplant is correct that attenuators should stay attatched to the end of the f connector and not taken with the device.

hedgie
02-05-2011, 10:11
Thanks again, if only there was prize for the friendliest forum ....;)