PDA

View Full Version : VM Router TBB Broadband quality

Jaff
27-04-2011, 10:29
I am failing to het any Pings back from my Visgin vonnection - if I use another ISP (Talk Talk) with the rest of the network intact monitoring is fine - implying that my Cable modem is not responding to WAN pings. I cannot see any such configuration on the cable modem (Ambit Cable Modem).

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/57e1328b22e3f8db9d124c83ad75841c-27-04-2011.html

craigj2k12
27-04-2011, 11:22
the modems dont respond to pings, its the device connected to the modem that will respond (or in your case, not respond)

if you have the modem connected directly to your computer, you need to configure your PC to repond to pings, and if your doing that, you will need to leave your computer on.

How i have it set up, is by having a router connected to my modem, this gives me wireless acess, and multiple wired access, and the router is also able to repond to pings

---------- Post added at 11:22 ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 ----------

also, out of curiosity, could you post your talktalk monitor, as a comparison

Jaff
27-04-2011, 12:29
Makes sense.

I switched off "WAN Blocking" on and TBB's broadband monitor is now being monitored. I will post up data when there is sufficient data collected.

I guess the TalkTalk ADSL box WAS provising a ping response - though strangley it seems to provide data even when it is off!

Jaff
28-04-2011, 09:26
Here are graphs for TalkTalk and Virgin Media

craigj2k12
28-04-2011, 11:23
Makes sense.

I switched off "WAN Blocking" on and TBB's broadband monitor is now being monitored. I will post up data when there is sufficient data collected.

I guess the TalkTalk ADSL box WAS provising a ping response - though strangley it seems to provide data even when it is off!

while both cable and adsl have dynamic IP addresses, cable works in a different way, and you usually get the same IP address, but with adsl, your ip changes every time you connect, and your old IPs are given out to others, so you could easily be monitoring someone elses connection

Jaff
28-04-2011, 13:36
you are right - but I check before posting (currently have both live one, cable, only serving VIOP).