PDA

View Full Version : Marriages

Barewolf
24-04-2011, 14:48
As some of you know or may not know, I've been doing up the garden, and for a very good reason. I'm getting married in it. I've not actually mentioned it on the forum for a reason to do with snooping.

What I want to know is what do priests do for rehearsals if you get married at home? We've already booked the date, but we can't get hold of the priest to ask him, and nothings been sent via post.

I wouldn't say I'm worried, but, the closer the date the more anxious I become.

But Steering away from the question, I'd be interested in views as a topic to what people's opinions are on weddings at home, or perhaps in parks?

My reason for getting married at home actually wasn't my Idea, but as I suffer from Pathological Agoraphobia, my Fiancé suggested it, and I kind of rolled with it, and finished the Garden.

The hardest problem for me wouldn't have been getting out of the house, but it seems my fiancé wanted to get married at home more than I did, because it's different. And for those who are already married, would you have preferred to get married in the Garden, or where you got married?

Don't get me wrong, I would love a big church wedding, but it's so traditional that it seems so normal.

Views?

martyh
24-04-2011, 14:53
erm ..i don't believe you can get married at home dude ,unless one you is housebound

thought so

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_family/family_index_ew/getting_married.htm#Where_can_a_marriage_take_plac e

Barewolf
24-04-2011, 14:54
erm ..i don't believe you can get married at home dude ,unless one you is housebound

You can get married anywhere you want, and i have Pathalogical Agoraphobia, Which means I am Housebound.

"the home of one of the partners if the partner is housebound, for example, has serious disabilities or is agoraphobic"

martyh
24-04-2011, 14:59
You can get married anywhere you want, and i have Pathalogical Agoraphobia, Which means I am Housebound.

"the home of one of the partners if the partner is housebound, for example, has serious disabilities or is agoraphobic"

No you can't get married anywhere you want ,but agoraphobia may be a excuse ,how did you manage to do your garden if you are agoraphobic?.Your local authority have to approve the venue you know

peanut
24-04-2011, 15:06
Going anywhere nice for your honeymoon? Your front garden? :D (Only kidding).

Caff
24-04-2011, 15:07
I'm not au fait with the ins and outs of medical conditions for the sanctioning of marriages, but the location is whatever floats your boat for me.
It sounds perfect but I would be wondering about the weather and mebbe having a marquee :D

Barewolf
24-04-2011, 15:10
No you can't get married anywhere you want ,but agoraphobia may be a excuse ,how did you manage to do your garden if you are agoraphobic?.Your local authority have to approve the venue you know

It's hardly an excuse, I expected you to word that better. If someone with a terminal illness was getting married at hospital, would that be an excuse?

I've suffered with Agoraphobia since I was 15. I've had every medication offered, every council session, about 18 different Doctors, and I'm still the same. I don't class that as an excuse, I class it as a Disability that can't be cured by conventional medicine.

But, Agoraphobia affects people in different ways. I have my good days when I can do jobs in the Garden, and Others when I suffer severe Anxiety even indoors.

Agoraphobia may say in a dictionary that a person cant go outside, but in reality people with Agoraphobia suffer different levels. It doesnt mean I cant go outside or I will die, Perhaps you should google market Fear. It's about as good definition of Agoraphobia that you can read.

Obviously I go outside, it's sillyness to think otherwise.

---------- Post added at 15:10 ---------- Previous post was at 15:08 ----------

Going anywhere nice for your honeymoon? Your front garden? :D (Only kidding).

Space on the new Virgin Cruiser..............only kidding

Actually we're going on a boating trip, it's quiet.

Zing
24-04-2011, 15:13
You say you have booked a priest? how did you go about doing that? what did they say when you told them the venue?

I hope it all goes well for you though dude :) I personally think getting married at home as a good idea :)

dilli-theclaw
24-04-2011, 15:21
A priest / vicar etc I would have thought would do a rehersal the day before. A registrar will most likely just turn up and do the ceremony.

As for where you do it - who cares what anyone else thinks? - If that's what you want then you rock on.

I got married in a registry office last time and am doing the whole church thing this time.

Barewolf
24-04-2011, 15:26
You say you have booked a priest? how did you go about doing that? what did they say when you told them the venue?

I hope it all goes well for you though dude :) I personally think getting married at home as a good idea :)

Very supportive, It wasnt actually a problem booking it. All I need is a signiture from the Doctor to say I'm Agoraphobic and he's already provided that.

I think it's a good idea, but people might think its weird, cheap or tacky. but in reality ive spent over 8,000 doing the garden up. that would have paid for a really nice wedding with bells and whistles, limo's and champagne. But the day after the wedding you have nothing to show for it. At least this way we still have the garden to enjoy.

joglynne
24-04-2011, 15:27
I think the idea of you getting married in your garden sounds lovely BW. Especially when you have spent so much time and effort in getting it done.

From past projects I know you will have done all the research needed to make sure that the marriage will be possible but I am a tad worried that the Priest you intend to use isn't replying to any communications you send him. Has he asked you and your partner to produce the paperwork that is needed? Maybe you could consider checking with your local Registrar's office to ensure that the Priest you are dealing with is authorised to act as your registrar to start with as it sounds a bit iffy you not being able to contact him.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/your_family/family_and_personal_issues_index_scotland/getting_married_scotland.htm#Wherecanamarriagetake place

Barewolf
24-04-2011, 15:30
A priest / vicar etc I would have thought would do a rehersal the day before. A registrar will most likely just turn up and do the ceremony.

As for where you do it - who cares what anyone else thinks? - If that's what you want then you rock on.

I got married in a registry office last time and am doing the whole church thing this time.

In the future i hope to do the church thing, perhaps in the future there will be a cure for what i have, if i cant do it myself.

As a Catholic i would much prefer a church wedding, but its special to have it at home.

I will post pics after the day obviously, and it doesnt matter where you have it, you're right. But i wanted to hear what people thought none the less. It's funny when my fiance mentions it to people, they seem very surprised, and im always wondering if they think its weird.

martyh
24-04-2011, 15:32
It's hardly an excuse, I expected you to word that better. If someone with a terminal illness was getting married at hospital, would that be an excuse?

I've suffered with Agoraphobia since I was 15. I've had every medication offered, every council session, about 18 different Doctors, and I'm still the same. I don't class that as an excuse, I class it as a Disability that can't be cured by conventional medicine.

But, Agoraphobia affects people in different ways. I have my good days when I can do jobs in the Garden, and Others when I suffer severe Anxiety even indoors.

Agoraphobia may say in a dictionary that a person cant go outside, but in reality people with Agoraphobia suffer different levels. It doesnt mean I cant go outside or I will die, Perhaps you should google market Fear. It's about as good definition of Agoraphobia that you can read.

Obviously I go outside, it's sillyness to think otherwise.

no offence meant ,i'm just saying there are strict guidlines about where you can married don't just assume that you will be able to get married at home because it aint as simple as that .If you can prove that you have just cause to get married at home then go for it ,it's the registra/priest/local authority you have convince

good luck anyway ,i sincerely hope it works out :)

dilli-theclaw
24-04-2011, 15:33
In the future i hope to do the church thing, perhaps in the future there will be a cure for what i have, if i cant do it myself.

As a Catholic i would much prefer a church wedding, but its special to have it at home.

I will post pics after the day obviously, and it doesnt matter where you have it, you're right. But i wanted to hear what people thought none the less. It's funny when my fiance mentions it to people, they seem very surprised, and im always wondering if they think its weird. Ah well, what is weird? ;)

I have a couple of surprises planned for my wedding (With I hasten to add the Reverands say so ;)) - Many will definately say they are odd. But I just don't care :)

Barewolf
24-04-2011, 15:35
I think the idea of you getting married in your garden sounds lovely BW. Especially when you have spent so much time and effort in getting it done.

From past projects I know you will have done all the research needed to make sure that the marriage will be possible but I am a tad worried that the Priest you intend to use isn't replying to any communications you send him. Has he asked you and your partner to produce the paperwork that is needed? Maybe you could consider checking with your local Registrar's office to ensure that the Priest you are dealing with is authorised to act as your registrar to start with as it sounds a bit iffy you not being able to contact him.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/your_family/family_and_personal_issues_index_scotland/getting_married_scotland.htm#Wherecanamarriagetake place

Aww ty Jog, You always nice.

my Fiance is taking the paperwork in at the end of May, and this time i never researched anything, it was down to the future wife. Maybe thats why things arent in order? lol.

As I said though, im not worried, be nice to know though

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:34 ----------

no offence meant ,i'm just saying there are strict guidlines about where you can married don't just assume that you will be able to get married at home because it aint as simple as that .If you can prove that you have just cause to get married at home then go for it ,it's the registra/priest/local authority you have convince
:)
good luck anyway ,i sincerely hope it works out

non taken.

Chris
24-04-2011, 15:38
I think it's a beautiful solution to an unfortunate problem, and you're right, the day, the year and a decade after the wedding you will still have the venue right outside your window to enjoy.

A minister performing a wedding would only expect to do one rehearsal, the evening before the day itself. I expect he will contact you, but if you're concerned he won't mind you phoning him to check.

---------- Post added at 15:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:36 ----------

Incidentally ... not directly relevant to this topic but here in Bonnie Scotland you can get married just about anywhere, as it's the person officiating who is licensed, rather than the venue.

joglynne
24-04-2011, 15:38
Don't you worry about other people's reactions. Just because it's not a common occurrence doesn't make it weird. You will have a beautiful, meaningful service carried out in front of the people who love and care for you both and that, as far as I'm concerned, is what a marriage ceremony is all about.

Zing
24-04-2011, 15:40
I think it's a beautiful solution to an unfortunate problem, and you're right, the day, the year and a decade after the wedding you will still have the venue right outside your window to enjoy.

A minister performing a wedding would only expect to do one rehearsal, the evening before the day itself. I expect he will contact you, but if you're concerned he won't mind you phoning him to check.

---------- Post added at 15:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:36 ----------

Incidentally ... not directly relevant to this topic but here in Bonnie Scotland you can get married just about anywhere, as it's the person officiating who is licensed, rather than the venue.

I personally think thats how it should be :)

peanut
24-04-2011, 15:41

Pretty much says it all, making the best of the situation. If both of you are happy with whatever decision you make then it doesn't matter if it's in a church, registry office, garden or whatever or wherever.

Chris
24-04-2011, 15:43
Can Barewolf find someone to shoot the wedding video in 3D though ... ? :p:

dilli-theclaw
24-04-2011, 15:44
Pah - I'm streaming mine live on the 'net. ;)

The reverand was very impressed with the idea :)

peanut
24-04-2011, 15:45
Pah - I'm streaming mine live on the 'net. ;)

The reverand was very impressed with the idea :)

So does that mean everyone on CF gets to watch as well? :D

dilli-theclaw
24-04-2011, 15:46
I gues they can at that :)

Barewolf
24-04-2011, 15:49
well its good to know people dont think its weird, as for the 3D video, yes............lol

Nah i dont have a 3D camcorder, I wanted one but ive got 2d to 3d conversion so it doesnt matter.

I might actually be able to have it streamed live on the net though, I dunno whether you were joking but i have CCTV in the garden and you can stream live, and it has audio. so who knows.

dilli-theclaw
24-04-2011, 15:50
Nope, not joking.

I've already paid the £55 fee for copyright the church chaeged :)

joglynne
24-04-2011, 15:54
well its good to know people dont think its weird, as for the 3D video, yes............lol

Nah i dont have a 3D camcorder, I wanted one but ive got 2d to 3d conversion so it doesnt matter.

I might actually be able to have it streamed live on the net though, I dunno whether you were joking but i have CCTV in the garden and you can stream live, and it has audio. so who knows.

Nope, not joking.

I've already paid the £55 fee for copyright the church chaeged :)

Oh I do love a good wedding, I shall wear a large hat and dab a lace hankie at my ladylike tears. You had better BOTH make sure I have virtual invite to these weddings or else. !!!!!!

haydnwalker
24-04-2011, 16:48
I think a wedding at home is an excellent idea :D Thinking out of the box... I like it!

Hope you have a great day Barewolf!

LondonRoad
24-04-2011, 16:58
Sounds like a great plan to me BW. It's very romantic getting married in your own garden.

Let us know the date and I'll use my weather machine to ensure the day is guarnteed to be ideal. ;)

iFrankie
24-04-2011, 17:32
I think its a great idea getting married at home, my step mum and dad did the same (under the circumstances).

Hugh
24-04-2011, 20:36
Congratulations, Barewolf, to you and to your fiancée.

Hope you have a great day, and best wishes to you both.

superbiatch
24-04-2011, 20:47
Sounds like a wonderful idea, i'm sure it will be a fabulous day :) Did you say when it is?

If it is streamed live I might even pop a hat on, much more interested in your wedding than that other one taking place next week!

Barewolf
25-04-2011, 10:45
Sounds like a wonderful idea, i'm sure it will be a fabulous day :) Did you say when it is?

If it is streamed live I might even pop a hat on, much more interested in your wedding than that other one taking place next week!

Its not until June 15th, I have no idea why i chose that date. We were going to get wed last August but it didnt go to plan.

I will deffo try and stream it live, i'm just waiting for my new cctv camera which has the function to stream live. I havent bought it for the wedding, but it will do the trick.

it's good that it's a small function as well, especially with my anxiety problems.

thanks for all the wishes everyone :) fingers crossed it all goes to plan.

candy1567
25-04-2011, 19:04
hi

ur wedding will be the most fantastic day, it doesn't matter where it is, but saying ur vows with the one u luv in the place u've created, wat more could u want.

I married 10 months ago and to be honest the build up to it was a nightmare, who needs families hey!!! I come from a large family there is 8 of us and i'm the youngest, and getting married for the first time at my age erm.......early 40's lol my family thought it was right to have the big bash, omg wat a nightmare tryin to please everyone in the end we lost sight of why we were gettin married.

So we said enough was enough, and decided to run away, well walk quickly at my age lol, so just my husband and i along with my 2 children attended and it was the most perfect day possible.

We did have a great big party afterwards over 300 attended it was crazy and we are now forgiven just!!!

the problem now is our first wedding anniversary, my sisters are tryin to get us on a cruise jeeze should say yes and drown the buggers lol

enjoy ur day, its how u want it to happen that makes it perfect

Juliex

Sasha222
25-04-2011, 20:45
Its not until June 15th, I have no idea why i chose that date. We were going to get wed last August but it didnt go to plan.

I will deffo try and stream it live, i'm just waiting for my new cctv camera which has the function to stream live. I havent bought it for the wedding, but it will do the trick.

it's good that it's a small function as well, especially with my anxiety problems.

thanks for all the wishes everyone :) fingers crossed it all goes to plan.

Congratulations to you and your future wife on your upcoming marriage. It doesn't matter where you get married as long as you are both happy. I think It's a really lovely idea getting married in the garden and dont be worrying about what people are going to say or think as you cant control there thoughts. Just enjoy the day. :hugs::hugs: