PDA

View Full Version : tyre recommendation

Smilie
22-04-2011, 12:55
Hi guys

need to get 2 new tyre for my car (C3)
as both the back tyre needs changing

front tyres are michellin (2 differant types)
old tyre are also

what makes would people recommend??
stick with michellin or use something differant
any1 used online tyre shops??

had a look at quidco
and saw this tyreshopper online store that has a few cashback/discounts
any1 used them before??

or any other online shops??

thanks

martyh
22-04-2011, 13:47
Hi guys

need to get 2 new tyre for my car (C3)
as both the back tyre needs changing

front tyres are michellin (2 differant types)
old tyre are also

what makes would people recommend??
stick with michellin or use something differant
any1 used online tyre shops??

had a look at quidco
and saw this tyreshopper online store that has a few cashback/discounts
any1 used them before??

or any other online shops??

thanks

my advice would be just to go to kwikfit or similar as they are generally the cheapest anyway and usually have offers ,if you buy on line then you still have to get someone to mount them on the rims .Go for the tyre that is suited to your mileage if you do alot of miles then a more expensive tyre ,i can attest that the cheap tyres are not worth the saving in the long run
Also get the tyre company to put the new tryes on the front and the old ones on the back to maximize the wear

whisper53
22-04-2011, 20:13
Try www.blackcircles.com and stick to Michelin tyres they are very good.

smcaul
22-04-2011, 20:30
I have used etyres.co.uk a couple of times and have been happy with the service they offer (they come to you) and they have been competitive, I have also used blackcircles a couple of times and they have been cheaper then etyres, but can take longer as they send the tyres to a local tyre fitter who you then go to to get the job done - but, since I last uesd blackcircles I tend to go to the same local tyre fitter as they would use and he is generally now a couple of quid per tyre cheaper!!!!

So it may pay you to seek out a local independent and see what their best price is, you may be surprised!!!

And I have never found the nationals like Kwikfit etc to be competitive on price!!!!

As for what to go for, I tend to use Firestone at the moment (made by Bridgestone), nd generally get 20-25k out of a set of fronts! but it is personal choice really, but I would stay away from the cheap brands!!

Smilie
22-04-2011, 22:14
yea im quite happy with the michelin im using

was with the car when i brought it 2nd hand
should been on the car since new
havent needed to change them till now (i only drive 6k or so per year)
and its not the treads but the side wall got too dry or something
(they been on the car since 04)

but seeing michenlin are abit more expensive then other branded tyre
i just want to see other peoples opinion

looking at tyre-shopper.co.uk
they have a accidental damage cover on bridgestone tyres
and theres also 7% cashback with quidco
might go for this

beeman
22-04-2011, 22:22
Also get the tyre company to put the new tryes on the front and the old ones on the back to maximize the wear

Unless of cause his vehicle is rear wheel drive :P

tosh mate
22-04-2011, 23:45
my advice would be just to go to kwikfit or similar as they are generally the cheapest anyway and usually have offers ,if you buy on line then you still have to get someone to mount them on the rims .Go for the tyre that is suited to your mileage if you do alot of miles then a more expensive tyre ,i can attest that the cheap tyres are not worth the saving in the long run

I agree with You Martyh and thats sound advice about rotating the wheel's too

smcaul
23-04-2011, 00:09

Current advice is actually to have new tyres on the back regardless of if the car is fwd or rwd!!! The theory is that most drivers would be able to handle understeer easier then they could oversteer!

Personally, I just have them replaced on whichever axle needs them!!

martyh
23-04-2011, 08:25
Unless of cause his vehicle is rear wheel drive :P

I'm thinking more along the lines of a tyre showing signs of uneven wear ,cars with power steering will wear the front tyres quicker than the rear ,if the tracking is slightly off it will wear the edge quicker than the centre so rotating onto the back axle gets the maximum wear out of them

Pedro1
23-04-2011, 08:32
I would just go to the cheapest place that does tyres...
Tht's what i do and the prices change all the time so hardly go to the same place twice...

Never get a remould though...

That would be asking for trouble...