PDA

View Full Version : 50M My Virgin Media

Couchie
22-04-2011, 11:54
When i try to log into My Virgin Media i get This Connection is Untrusted message :(

Download Failed (1)

When i click on I Understand the Risks i get the following:

If you understand what's going on, you
can tell Firefox to start trusting this site's identification.
Even if you trust the site, this error could mean that someone is
tampering with your connection.

Don't add an exception unless
you know there's a good reason why this site doesn't use trusted identification.

Then when i click on Add Exception i get the following:

Download Failed (1)

Does anybody have any idea why i get this message?

Thank you

pip08456
22-04-2011, 12:22
Wouldn't worry about it, I get this

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/04/53.jpg

Peter_
22-04-2011, 13:00
When i try to log into My Virgin Media i get This Connection is Untrusted message :(

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r258/couchie_01/v.jpg

When i click on I Understand the Risks i get the following:

If you understand what's going on, you
can tell Firefox to start trusting this site's identification.
Even if you trust the site, this error could mean that someone is
tampering with your connection.

Don't add an exception unless
you know there's a good reason why this site doesn't use trusted identification.

Then when i click on Add Exception i get the following:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r258/couchie_01/v2.jpg

Does anybody have any idea why i get this message?

Thank you
You are using Firefox which does this until you add the exception rule, it is a Firefox problem nothing more.

pip08456
22-04-2011, 16:31
You are using Firefox which does this until you add the exception rule, it is a Firefox problem nothing more.

Bulls's dangly things! I use FF and have never added an exception rule!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/04/50.jpg

Peter_
22-04-2011, 18:06
Bulls's dangly things! I use FF and have never added an exception rule!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/04/50.jpg
You tend to get it the first time you go to the site Fact, I know this because we use Firefox in work and when we login to MyVirginmedia for the first time on every shift we get the exception message and we have to create the rule as per that screenshot.

The reason it happens on our machines is because we use Citrix which clears all browsing history , cookies and temporary internet files and if you clear your version of Firefox to what is basically a freshly installed state then you get that message every single time.

If it is happening on a daily basis on a customers machine then the is an issue on their machine causing the exception rule to pop up every time which is an unsupported issue.

So next time rather than trying to be dismissive and trying to prove something find out why first.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

pip08456
22-04-2011, 18:41
You tend to get it the first time you go to the site Fact, I know this because we use Firefox in work and when we login to MyVirginmedia for the first time on every shift we get the exception message and we have to create the rule as per that screenshot.

The reason it happens on our machines is because we use Citrix which clears all browsing history , cookies and temporary internet files and if you clear your version of Firefox to what is basically a freshly installed state then you get that message every single time.

If it is happening on a daily basis on a customers machine then the is an issue on their machine causing the exception rule to pop up every time which is an unsupported issue.

So next time rather than trying to be dismissive and trying to prove something find out why first.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tend to does not mean what you are trying say. To test your theory I cleared all browsing hstory, cookies and temporary internet files and put Firefox in a state of thinking it was a new install.

I've just started running Win 7 on a seperate HDD so have dual boot, downloaded FF on it and acessed the site immediately.

"So next time rather than trying to be dismissive and trying to prove something find out why first"

I have nothing to prove. It works WTF!

FYI ask them to check the date and time on their PC.

Peter_
22-04-2011, 19:19
Tend to does not mean what you are trying say. To test your theory I cleared all browsing hstory, cookies and temporary internet files and put Firefox in a state of thinking it was a new install.

I've just started running Win 7 on a seperate HDD so have dual boot, downloaded FF on it and acessed the site immediately.

"So next time rather than trying to be dismissive and trying to prove something find out why first"

I have nothing to prove. It works WTF!

FYI ask them to check the date and time on their PC.
It happens on our computers Fact every single day in work the first time we login to MyVirginmedia on Firefox and if a customer is trying to login for the first time on Firefox they get the exact same screen and it has nothing whatsoever to do with the time and date as it is a Firefox security screen nothing more and if you have never seen that screen before then that is immaterial as that is down to your equipment nothing more.

Nopanic
22-04-2011, 22:08
erm .. WTF .. our certs are valid and working on all the top browsers including FF ..

Is the time and date correct on your PC ?

Peter_
22-04-2011, 22:13
erm .. WTF .. our certs are valid and working on all the top browsers including FF ..

Is the time and date correct on your PC ?
Try it using Firefox on a Citrix machine after your first login plus you will get it on a normal machine if accessing the site for the very first time using Firefox, it is just Firefox security getting in the way.

This article describes why the This Connection Is Untrusted error message may appear when trying to visit secure (https) websites in Firefox. (http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/This%20connection%20is%20untrusted)

Nopanic
22-04-2011, 22:30
Try it using Firefox on a Citrix machine after your first login plus you will get it on a normal machine if accessing the site for the very first time using Firefox, it is just Firefox security getting in the way.

This article describes why the This Connection Is Untrusted error message may appear when trying to visit secure (https) websites in Firefox. (http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/This%20connection%20is%20untrusted)

I am using firefox .. :erm: I've not seen or heard of this issue, if you're correct then this is a major problem, we can't have our site showing warnings like this ..

I've just run the site under developer and can see no issues with anything ..

Peter_
23-04-2011, 06:05
I am using firefox .. :erm: I've not seen or heard of this issue, if you're correct then this is a major problem, we can't have our site showing warnings like this ..

I've just run the site under developer and can see no issues with anything ..
As I said if you run it on one of the Citrix boxes and go to MyVirginmedia for the first time using Firefox you will get this page because our systems clear everything out of the memory with Firefox but we never get this with IE as that remembers where you have been but without your passwords.

Then if a customer using Firefox for the first time goes to MyVirginmedia for the first time they get the same message and they then call in and we tell them to add the rule and it works.

As the link above says Firefox does it on https sites.

Pedro1
23-04-2011, 06:15
No probs my end with FF...

Just my 2 cents worth :-)

Peter_
23-04-2011, 06:18
No probs my end with FF...

Just my 2 cents worth :-)
It is not a problem with Firefox as it will only ever happen with a clean first time install of Firefox on your computer which is rare, as I said our systems in work will show this screen every morning due to us using Citrix to connect and most people will never see this screen.

Pedro1
23-04-2011, 07:03
Cool thanks for the info Masque..:)

Couchie
23-04-2011, 07:37
Thank you for your replies :)

Peter_
23-04-2011, 07:39
Thank you for your replies :)
Did you only get that screen once or do you get it everytime you try to login.

foddy
23-04-2011, 13:01
The server is sending the server's SSL certificate, but not the intermediate certificate required to validate it (it's not sending "CN=VeriSign Class 3 Extended Validation SSL SGC CA").

However, if you have visited another site that correctly serves the intermediate certificate, it may be cached by your browser and then my.virginmedia.com will then work without error.

The fix is for VM to install the intermediate certificate on the web server so that it's served along with the server's certificate.

You can verify which certificates are being sent with the openssl command:

openssl s_client -showcerts -connect my.virginmedia.com:443

This is an issue with VM's web server configuration, and unfortunately quite a common one.

Toto
23-04-2011, 13:23
Given that VM had a few issues with their customer portal update, there was always a risk of a few security related issues. Still, looks like its getting sorted at the usual pace.

jtaylor06
23-04-2011, 14:34
Running FF4.0, entered site for the first time, and bam! the untrusted connection page is shown.

Download Failed (1) (http://www.imgftw.net/img//744709884.png)
Click the thumbnail above to go bigger!

craigj2k12
23-04-2011, 17:00
Running FF4.0, entered site for the first time, and bam! the untrusted connection page is shown.

http://imgftw.net/img/744709884t.png (http://www.imgftw.net/img//744709884.png)
Click the thumbnail above to go bigger!

same for me, i just added it as a security exception, theres no problem with it, just an out of date security certificate?

also, whats that monkey think next to firebug?

jtaylor06
23-04-2011, 17:11
same for me, i just added it as a security exception, theres no problem with it, just an out of date security certificate?

also, whats that monkey think next to firebug?

Greasemonkey.
I didn't realise it was there until you mentioned it as I hardly use Firefox - unless I need to test a site that I'm developing.

Nopanic
23-04-2011, 20:33
Why do you keep finding more work for me .. :(

pip08456
23-04-2011, 22:13
Why do you keep finding more work for me .. :(

Cos you didn't do it right in the first place?:D:D:D

craigj2k12
23-04-2011, 22:21

while your doing that, turn off the p2p management

Nopanic
24-04-2011, 07:07

Ok... can't argue with that .. but why has it taken a month for anyone to report ?

pip08456
24-04-2011, 08:16
You will have to ask your support staff that as they get it on a daily basis. You would've thoght they'd have said something.

Toto
24-04-2011, 08:19
Ok... can't argue with that .. but why has it taken a month for anyone to report ?
Shouldn't this have been found in testing?

Peter_
24-04-2011, 08:55
You will have to ask your support staff that as they get it on a daily basis. You would've thoght they'd have said something.
Why would we report it because Firefox does it on many webpages by default simply because Citrix treats it as a fresh install every day and not that many customers use Firefox or would even think to call up if they saw that screen.

More importantly Firefox is unsupported so we would normally advise them to use Internet Explorer.

Couchie
24-04-2011, 08:57
Did you only get that screen once or do you get it everytime you try to login.

Everytime i try sign in, I tried IE8 and signed in no problem.

I think it might be something to do with the FF clean install that people on here were saying, I reformatted my pc and it started after that.

Thanks for all your help :)

Peter_
24-04-2011, 09:00
Everytime i try sign in, I tried IE8 and signed in no problem.

I think it might be something to do with the FF clean install that people on here were saying, I reformatted my pc and it started after that.

Thanks for all your help :)
It should not happen every time you use Firefox as you would have added the Exception if you have not just click the add button and it will never happen again.

Nopanic
24-04-2011, 15:52

Yup ..

Shouldn't this have been found in testing?

Something has changed, as this wasn't happening in testing ..

Peter_
24-04-2011, 19:37
Yup ..

As most use IE and only a few of us use Firefox why would we report this as once we reboot everything is completely removed from Firefox as unlike IE we cannot even save save essential tools to the favourites menu which we can do with IE, we have to type them in everytime we open Firefox which is down to the IT department restricting what we can and cannot do with the browser.

If the brower was not so restricted then this screen would have only popped up the one time and we would have added the exception rule to the browser, it is not down to us to report this as it caused by a restriction on our Citrix desktops by IT nothing more.

As for an issue on a customers computer we would advise them to use IE as Firefox is unsupported and again we would not report the issue to 2nd line as they would just inform us that Firefox is an unsupported browser which could also get us a complaint fed back to our managers for wasting time.

So first of all get the restrictions removed from Firefox so that it behaves the same as the one I use at home and not like a first time installation and also get it put into the Support Scope then you can begin to wonder why it remains unreported by any and all first line agents/2nd line agents.

pip08456
24-04-2011, 20:46
Trouble at ' mill! Good point though Masque.

Come on Nopanic get it sorted!:D:D:D

Nopanic
25-04-2011, 07:17
As most use IE and only a few of us use Firefox why would we report this as once we reboot everything is completely removed from Firefox as unlike IE we cannot even save save essential tools to the favourites menu which we can do with IE, we have to type them in everytime we open Firefox which is down to the IT department restricting what we can and cannot do with the browser.

If the brower was not so restricted then this screen would have only popped up the one time and we would have added the exception rule to the browser, it is not down to us to report this as it caused by a restriction on our Citrix desktops by IT nothing more.

As for an issue on a customers computer we would advise them to use IE as Firefox is unsupported and again we would not report the issue to 2nd line as they would just inform us that Firefox is an unsupported browser which could also get us a complaint fed back to our managers for wasting time.

So first of all get the restrictions removed from Firefox so that it behaves the same as the one I use at home and not like a first time installation and also get it put into the Support Scope then you can begin to wonder why it remains unreported by any and all first line agents/2nd line agents.

As support staff we would expect you to notice faults and report them .. you know .. as it's your job :D

As for the restrictions, well you only have yourselves to blame for them :welcome:

Peter_
25-04-2011, 07:46
As support staff we would expect you to notice faults and report them .. you know .. as it's your job :D

As for the restrictions, well you only have yourselves to blame for them :welcome:
Notice what fault? it is something that IT have put in place when they locked down Firefox even more than IE so it just appears normal on a day to day basis especially as that browser is unsupported and we would not report a fault due to that anyway.

Nopanic
25-04-2011, 08:59
Notice what fault? it is something that IT have put in place when they locked down Firefox even more than IE so it just appears normal on a day to day basis especially as that browser is unsupported and we would not report a fault due to that anyway.

Should anyone be seeing that message ?

No ..

Its a fault :D

Simples ..

Peter_
25-04-2011, 09:08
Should anyone be seeing that message ?

No ..

Its a fault :D

Simples ..
Seen it on many sites with Firefox which we do not support as a browser so until it is supported............................

Nopanic
25-04-2011, 09:08
Seen it on many sites with Firefox which we do not support as a browser so until it is supported............................

:D

I support it .. and I completely blame you for it ..

Peter_
25-04-2011, 09:14
:D

I support it .. and I completely blame you for it ..
Tell it to 2nd line.;):D

I use it at home and in work.

foddy
25-04-2011, 15:45
Did you not see what I said in post #17? The website is just badly set up. There's nothing special about IE or Firefox, any browser could show a similar error if it hasn't already cached the intermediate certificate.

Peter_
25-04-2011, 15:57
Did you not see what I said in post #17? The website is just badly set up. There's nothing special about IE or Firefox, any browser could show a similar error if it hasn't already cached the intermediate certificate.
We are talking about Firefox and the message popping up which he says should not happen but as Firefox is unsupported by us we would never report it anyway.;)

pip08456
25-04-2011, 16:21
Supported browser or not, it should not happen nor would it if the certificates had been done correctly.

Nopanic is correct inasmuchas a leading company like VM should not have Security Certificate errors showing up in any browser.

foddy
25-04-2011, 16:23
We are talking about Firefox and the message popping up which he says should not happen but as Firefox is unsupported by us we would never report it anyway.;)
I really don't get it. There's a bug which has been reported, identified and the cause found. You've seen it yourself on a daily basis, so can confirm the problem yourself.

But, even thought the problem isn't browser related, because it was first seen on a browser you don't support, you think that it's not important? Even though it's security-related?

I can't believe that it's been suggested that users add an exception either, effectively disabling security on VM's billing site. Can you imagine what would happen if a bank did that?

Peter_
25-04-2011, 21:02
I really don't get it. There's a bug which has been reported, identified and the cause found. You've seen it yourself on a daily basis, so can confirm the problem yourself.

But, even thought the problem isn't browser related, because it was first seen on a browser you don't support, you think that it's not important? Even though it's security-related?

I can't believe that it's been suggested that users add an exception either, effectively disabling security on VM's billing site. Can you imagine what would happen if a bank did that?
It is an unsupported browser so not something we can report due to it not being an IE issue, I do not make up the rules.

foddy
25-04-2011, 21:38
It is an unsupported browser so not something we can report due to it not being an IE issue, I do not make up the rules.
I'm sorry, but "we only support IE" is just so '90s!

That said, I'm sure it's not your fault, you do have a script to follow (just kidding!)

It is, however, an issue that will also affect IE, but I assume Nopanic is dealing with it already, so no doubt it'll be fixed. The thing is, not supporting anything other than Windows or IE just drives me crazy.

Peter_
25-04-2011, 21:47
I'm sorry, but "we only support IE" is just so '90s!

That said, I'm sure it's not your fault, you do have a script to follow (just kidding!)

It is, however, an issue that will also affect IE, but I assume Nopanic is dealing with it already, so no doubt it'll be fixed. The thing is, not supporting anything other than Windows or IE just drives me crazy.
I know what you mean, we only see it if we login to MyVirginmedia using Firefox but we expect to see that page due to the restrictions in place so it does not seem unusual to us and if we called 2nd line we would be told that it was unsupported anyway because of the support Scope that is in place.

Most people use IE so it is unlikely to happen and Firefox users tend to click the Exception because they have seen it happen with another site they have tried to access.

Personally on my own machine I use 7 of the most popular browsers in use so I am aware of most of their little foibles anyway.

pip08456
25-04-2011, 22:15
I know what you mean, we only see it if we login to MyVirginmedia using Firefox but we expect to see that page due to the restrictions in place so it does not seem unusual to us and if we called 2nd line we would be told that it was unsupported anyway because of the support Scope that is in place.

Most people use IE so it is unlikely to happen and Firefox users tend to click the Exception because they have seen it happen with another site they have tried to access.

Personally on my own machine I use 7 of the most popular browsers in use so I am aware of most of their little foibles anyway.

Perhaps not your fault but certainly disingenuous of VM considering the market share of FF,and indeed Chrome.

Recent trends indicate that the web browser hierarchy is set for a significant shake-up. According to StatCounter, Firefox and Microsoft’s Internet Explorer remain the top two browsers in the market, although each has steadily lost ground to the consistently growing Google Chrome browser.

source herehttp://www.spetnik.com/a/news-story/id:800491957,story:firefox_4s_100_million_download s_not_enough_to_shake_tough_market_trends[COLOR="Silver"]

and

Boston, USA and Dublin, Ireland; Tuesday 4th January, 2011: Firefox overtook Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) to become the number one browser in Europe in December 2010 according to StatCounter, the free website analytics company. The firm's research arm StatCounter Global Stats reports that in December, Firefox took 38.11% of European market share, compared to IE's 37.52%.

sourcehere (http://gs.statcounter.com/press/firefox-overtakes-internet-explorer-in-europe-in-browser-wars)

Peter_
25-04-2011, 22:20
Perhaps not your fault but certainly disingenuous of VM considering the market share of ,and indeed Chrome.

Recent trends indicate that the web browser hierarchy is set for a significant shake-up. According to StatCounter, Firefox and Microsoft’s Internet Explorer remain the top two browsers in the market, although each has steadily lost ground to the consistently growing Google Chrome browser.

source herehttp://www.spetnik.com/a/news-story/id:800491957,story:firefox_4s_100_million_download s_not_enough_to_shake_tough_market_trends
To support other browsers would require training and support which costs money, and which version would we support of each browser, you will find most ISP's offer similar support with regards to the many browsers out there.

We also support Safari on a Mac but not Firefox.

pip08456
25-04-2011, 22:26
I edited my post with more info before you replied!:D:D:D

Peter_
25-04-2011, 22:33
I edited my post with more info before you replied!:D:D:D
I know you did but never changed my post.

I have 7 different browsers on my machine because I chose to and it gives me an insight in to how they all differ, but my proffered browser is Firefox 3.6.16 which I have been into and changed boleans and integers to get it to perform as I want it to, tried 4 and disliked it because my addons would not work and it looked to much like IE9.

pip08456
25-04-2011, 23:02
Sure you don't mean IE9 looks like FF4, just as IE copied tabbed browsing etc from FF?

Peter_
26-04-2011, 05:44
Sure you don't mean IE9 looks like FF4, just as IE copied tabbed browsing etc from FF?
Very similar in looks and does not allow the addons I use so its a no from me.

Nopanic
26-04-2011, 07:11
morning you happy campers .. I'm thinking the cert is against the latest version, which the Citrix app doesn't have.

Does anyone see it with the latest version of FF ?

foddy
26-04-2011, 19:50
morning you happy campers .. I'm thinking the cert is against the latest version, which the Citrix app doesn't have.

It's still not right from my point of view - there's still only one certificate being served. Assuming the SSL isn't being offloaded elsewhere, then you'll need to use the SSLCertificateChainFile directive in Apache. See:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_ssl.html#sslcertificatechainfile

Verisign details (pretty shockingly bad) are available here:

https://knowledge.verisign.com/support/ssl-certificates-support/index?page=content&id=AR212

You are normally sent the intermediate certificates along with your site's certificate, but if you can't find it then (and if you can work out which one you need) the intermediate certificates can be downloaded from here:

https://knowledge.verisign.com/support/ssl-certificates-support/index?page=content&id=AR657

Nopanic
26-04-2011, 22:01
It's still not right from my point of view - there's still only one certificate being served. Assuming the SSL isn't being offloaded elsewhere, then you'll need to use the SSLCertificateChainFile directive in Apache. See:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_ssl.html#sslcertificatechainfile

Verisign details (pretty shockingly bad) are available here:

https://knowledge.verisign.com/support/ssl-certificates-support/index?page=content&id=AR212

You are normally sent the intermediate certificates along with your site's certificate, but if you can't find it then (and if you can work out which one you need) the intermediate certificates can be downloaded from here:

https://knowledge.verisign.com/support/ssl-certificates-support/index?page=content&id=AR657

:dmonk:

adduxi
26-04-2011, 23:26

Yes, I am. Opening with FF4 and you get the error. IE9, on the other hand, just ignores it and opens the site anyway :dozey: