PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen Inflation

LSainsbury
21-04-2011, 20:09
Evening,

Had a puncture today - quite a slow one but noticeable. Took the car into Kwik-Fit (I was 240 miles from home in North Wales and needed a quick fix) and got it sorted - £21.50.

Looking at the receipt a bit later on I noticed they had charged £1.50 for Nitrogen Inflation!

I was a bit peeved to be honest but I'm not gonna loose sleep over it as it was a fairly quick turnaround, but - what's with Nitrogen inflation? Why not just use air? I suppose it's just another way of getting a bit of cash for the job.

MovedGoalPosts
21-04-2011, 20:12
Nitrogen is a different gas to air - not sure if it's lighter or heavier. But it's supposed to stay put in the tyre better than air and thus is the latest wheeze for car maintenance.

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:11 ----------

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/filling-tyres-with-nitrogen.html

LSainsbury
21-04-2011, 20:13
Yeah - was just looking at that link myself before you posted it...

martyh
21-04-2011, 20:14
IT's a gimmick ..sort of ..nitrogen is used because it contains no water vapour therefore no corrosion of the wheel ,also the molecules are bigger so there is less preasure drop .

LSainsbury
21-04-2011, 20:16
...so what if I need to check the pressure and find it a little low and bung some air in there....all the "advantages" are now gone.

martyh
21-04-2011, 20:19
...so what if I need to check the pressure and find it a little low and bung some air in there....all the "advantages" are now gone.

exactly ..next time just tell them not to bother with the nitrogen ...or you could put your mouth around the valve,breath deep and talk funny :D

Halcyon
21-04-2011, 20:21
exactly ..next time just tell them not to bother with the nitrogen ...or you could put your mouth around the valve,breath deep and talk funny :D

Isnt that helium?

LSainsbury
21-04-2011, 20:22

....errr that's helium mate...not sure what effect nitrogen would have - you might explode??!!

---------- Post added at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was at 20:21 ----------

Isnt that helium?

Yes! :D

martyh
21-04-2011, 20:23
....errr that's helium mate...not sure what effect nitrogen would have - you might explode??!!

still gonna talk funny with tyre valve in your gob :D

LSainsbury
21-04-2011, 20:23
exactly ..next time just tell them not to bother with the nitrogen ..

Well that's kind of my point - I didn't know they were going to use it instead of normal air and charge me for the pleasure - bit of scam if you ask me.

martyh
21-04-2011, 20:28
Well that's kind of my point - I didn't know they were going to use it instead of normal air and charge me for the pleasure - bit of scam if you ask me.

I agree ,last year i got 4 new tyres on my van ,£1.50 per tyre for nitrogen =extra £6 and i wasn't given the option it just appeared on my bill .It's not much extra in a nearly £400 bill but it would be nice to be given the choice

Mick Fisher
21-04-2011, 20:44
Why would they give you a choice, you would only say no thanks. ;)

Yet another scam.

Hom3r
21-04-2011, 20:51
Formula 1 and airplane tyres are all filled with Nitrogen as they contain no water, as at high temperatures they could explode if filled with oxygen.

banjo
21-04-2011, 21:11
Air is a mixture of various gases contributing to the earth's atmosphere. In general, air consists of molecular Nitrogen (N2) with a volume count of 78%, molecular oxygen (O2) with a volume count of 20%. There are also small amounts of Argon (Ar) with a volume of 1.9%, Neon (Ne), Helium (He), Methane (CH4), Krypton (Kr), Hydrogen (H), Nitrous Oxide (N2O) and Xenon (Xe). Other gases and elements like water vapour (H2O), Ozone (O3), Carbon-dioxide (CO2), Sulphur dioxide (SO2) and Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) are found in variable concentration. The ammonia and hydrogen sulphide are also common constituent of air

Gary L
21-04-2011, 21:29
Nitrogen instead of air in your tyres is just a big gimmick. it's for the stupid and the chavs who believe that it gives your car an extra 50 bhp.

Paul
21-04-2011, 22:53
Why would they give you a choice, you would only say no thanks. ;)

Yet another scam.

Surely if you didnt ask for it then you have no legal obligation to pay for it.

Mick Fisher
22-04-2011, 12:30
Surely if you didnt ask for it then you have no legal obligation to pay for it.
Well that's what I would have thought.

But........

No doubt they have had a 'legal team' on the job. Who no doubt have come up with some sort of a wheeze to the effect of a sign, the size of a postage stamp, mounted in the most obscure spot possible, bearing the legend 'By entering these premises you auto agree to all our terms, conditions and scams' ;)