PDA

View Full Version : 50M Superhub is nowhere near as bad as people say!

Pages : [1] 2 3

TJS
20-04-2011, 22:12
Ok this might not be in the right forum ,but i feel that it has to be said for people like me who spent the week or so on the run-up to an install reading all the horror stories through this forum.

While it is early days - only been installed for 8 hrs I have been achieiving the full download and upload speed, even over wifi! there have been no problems at all, the only problem that we did have was with the wireless at first but that was down to the channel setting for the wifi being set on auto, manually setting it to channel 6 works perfect.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/04/42.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

achieved a solid 6.2 MB/s download on steam.

Only complain that i do have is when we had troubles with the WiFi at first when we phoned up it took 4 hours or so of being transferred from department to department and the solution to the problem ended up being nothing that they suggested, also we got a phone call at 10:00 pm asking if everything was sorted, which seems too late really.

But other then that perfect. :)

weesteev
20-04-2011, 22:15
Nice one TJS, good to hear your running OK. I was beginning to wonder for a while if my Superhub was the only one working fine...

;)

riccojames
20-04-2011, 22:36
There will be trouble ahead... lol

arcimedes
20-04-2011, 22:39
Nice one TJS, good to hear your running OK. I was beginning to wonder for a while if my Superhub was the only one working fine...

;)

I Agree, I had a Linksys WRT120N for the last few years and it wouldnt run my WiFi card faster than g. It was only in the last 6 months that they produced new software that actually allowed n cards to run at n speeds.

I dont have problems with wifi acess perhaps because we have a Victorian house which has solid ouside walls two standard bricks thick ( no breeze blocks) and the internal walls are only one brick thick. I can connect with my mobile from the bottom of the garden 40 ft of garden plus two internal walls with no problems. I used inssider to choose the channels as there are few wifi routers in use around here but I dont do any online gaming.

nigelmclelland
20-04-2011, 22:39
I found things ran smoother by turning of the Firewall and IP flood on the SuperHub. The only problem I have is with "Lovefilm" on the PS3 - it takes ages to load, everything else is ok.

Peter_
20-04-2011, 22:40

;)
Mine is also working as are the majority of Superhubs out there strangely enough.;)

martyh
20-04-2011, 22:45
Mine is also working as are the majority of Superhubs out there strangely enough.;)

It's always the same we only hear about things that don't work

If my vm supplied router (50mg) accidentaly on purpose stops working can i get a superhub ;)

Daveoc64
20-04-2011, 22:45

So the problem that Virgin Media is rushing an update out to fix in less than a week doesn't exist?

You don't rush out an update like that when there isn't a serious problem

Usually when people don't have a problem with a device it's because they don't use the features that are broken.

Someone in another thread said that they didn't have any problems with the wireless on the Superhub - then it turned out that they didn't use wireless.

TJS
20-04-2011, 22:47
http://speed.io/pics/4192/7884/speed.io.png (http://www.speed.io)

Also over wifi :)

Peter_
20-04-2011, 22:50
So the problem that Virgin Media is rushing an update out to fix in less than a week doesn't exist?

You don't rush out an update like that when there isn't a serious problem

Usually when people don't have a problem with a device it's because they don't use the features that are broken.

Someone in another thread said that they didn't have any problems with the wireless on the Superhub - then it turned out that they didn't use wireless.
I have had a Superhub for 2 months now without any issue and everything works without any issues.

The vast majority of customers have no issues with either hub as the are hundreds of thousands out there all working fine.

Daveoc64
20-04-2011, 22:52
I have had a Superhub for 2 months now without any issue and everything works without any issues.

The vast majority of customers have no issues with either hub as the are hundreds of thousands out there all working fine.

"Working fine" isn't really true.

The big issue with the firewall leaves two problems:

Turning the firewall settings off ensures that things like VOIP and Gaming work fine, but Downloads (including streaming video) may drop prematurely.

Turning the firewall settings on makes downloads work again, but can interfere with gaming and VOIP.

If you have the firewall on and you don't play games then you won't see the problem - it doesn't mean that there isn't a problem there though.

The other issue with the Superhub, where using wireless channels above 9 causes the wireless network to be unusable after a while, will again only be noticed by people that are using one of the affected channels.

adzii_nufc
20-04-2011, 22:57

Excellent point.

As I refuse to use Wireless networking I cannot comment any further with the Superhub as I'll be using mine with no problems!

How not? Do you personally go to customers houses around the UK and check to see if they are having problems?
Seeing Forum posts with problems does not count as its minimal compared to the vast amount out there.

ferretuk
20-04-2011, 23:11
Interesting Register article (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/19/virgin_media_superhub_still_wobbly/)

Daveoc64
20-04-2011, 23:14
How not? Do you personally go to customers houses around the UK and check to see if they are having problems?

As I said above, the product has defects when used in certain ways.

The user choosing to not use the product in those ways does not remove the fact that the product is faulty.

A car that breaks down on the Motorway still has a problem if you only use it on residential streets.

adzii_nufc
20-04-2011, 23:30
As Virgin have already pointed out. Although I'm still failing to see the Hundreds of thousands of people ranting and complaining.

Out of the people that do own a Superhub I only see the minority complaining.. So what am I missing?

Chrysalis
20-04-2011, 23:38
Excellent point.

As I refuse to use Wireless networking I cannot comment any further with the Superhub as I'll be using mine with no problems!

Seeing Forum posts with problems does not count as its minimal compared to the vast amount out there.

of course only a tiny snapshot of VM customers will even use the forums probably under 1%.

Whilst I cannot claim everyone is frustrated by the superhub at the same time masque cannot claim the vast majority arent having problems.

What is a fact tho is that the stream/download issue is a known confirmed fault with the superhub on R25 firmware, suggesting otherwise is just been silly. It will be an issue that exists in every superhub that is flashed to that firmware version. Just it doesnt become apparent until the firewall is turned off and even then not everyone will necessarily notice it or work out the cause of the problem.

Then we have all the other issues which are not necessariiy proven faults but certianly there is setup/install issues confirmed by an installer here who works for VM.

What does seem clear to me is that the superdud has by far had the most complaints out of all historical vm/ntl/tw modem/router devices.

With all this said I dont think its all bad, I think in bridge mode it could prove a good device as the modem side of it seems solid enough.

Daveoc64
20-04-2011, 23:59
As Virgin have already pointed out. Although I'm still failing to see the Hundreds of thousands of people ranting and complaining.

Out of the people that do own a Superhub I only see the minority complaining.. So what am I missing?

a) A lot of people simply wont notice these problems because of the way that they use their service.

b) People don't know the cause of the problems.

c) Some people might think the problems are temporary glitches (and with the imminent R26 update they should go away).

pip08456
21-04-2011, 00:17
Funny how the R26 firmware was pushed out for users to test the day after The Register article appeared and is to be pushed out to the whole user base by the end of the week!

Am I just being cynical here????

TJS
21-04-2011, 00:21
Super Hub Version

Software Version: "V5.5.2R25"
Hardware Version: 2.00

Not sure if this is any use? But hardware version 2.0 might make a difference? (im not sure if all superhubs are 2.0 or if some are 1.0 so might be useless info)

pip08456
21-04-2011, 00:23
The main thing is the software version but a valid point.

Peter_
21-04-2011, 05:54

Just because yourself and a small minority are having issues does not mean that the majority are having issues many customers are like myself, weesteev. Hugh and Stephen who have been running the Superhub for months without a glitch.

I have unticked everything and unticked everything and still I have had no issues with browsing, speed, Youtube or even downloading because it just works and this is what most people see with their connection.

---------- Post added at 05:54 ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 ----------

What does seem clear to me is that the superdud has by far had the most complaints out of all historical vm/ntl/tw modem/router devices.

Apart from supposition do you actually have any proof of this at all because we are not seeing any extra calls generated over the hubs as the majority are working fine.

Once the modem only mode comes online most of these threads will disappear.

jb66
21-04-2011, 06:53
Before the superhub I was NEVER called out for wifi issues. Now I have about 2 a day, none of which I can fix. The call center get me out with jobs like "downstream 8db" and when I turn up the agent has told them I will stop there wifi dropping. Not possible you have a superdud!

fixerman
21-04-2011, 07:05

;)

I am very pleased with my Superhub. I have had it now for a couple of months and apart from one reset it has been fine. I just don't ever have to think about it, it just sits there out of the way doing it's thing.:)

jb66
21-04-2011, 07:22
I am very pleased with my Superhub. I have had it now for a couple of months and apart from one reset it has been fine. I just don't ever have to think about it, it just sits there out of the way doing it's thing.:)

SMUG https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/04/59.jpg

Nopanic
21-04-2011, 07:28
Apart from supposition do you actually have any proof of this at all because we are not seeing any extra calls generated over the hubs as the majority are working fine.

No, as always he doesn't.

I however have access to all the fault reports for the last year, broken down by device, OS, service, region and date .. in a lovely selection of pretty graphs and pages of figures ..

The Superhub overall, is a success. :cool:

Chrysalis
21-04-2011, 07:34

I however have access to all the fault reports for the last year, broken down by device, OS, service, region and date .. in a lovely selection of pretty graphs and pages of figures ..

you guys have not once replied to jb66, and are the forum posts something I make up in my head?

do people I know I dream about.

I think we due another denial pic.

Of course if you choose to ignore the the negative feedback, the bad press reports then the superhub may seem like a success. I suppose it depends how you define success. If you define it by the fact giving people free speed upgrades has as a result allowed you to ship loads out in a short time then yes.

pip08456
21-04-2011, 07:45
I think we due another denial pic.

Happy to oblige.:D

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/04/52.jpg

KTroopA
21-04-2011, 09:24
Naturally i was dreading the 30mb upgrade after reading about issues. But happy to say my Superhub is also peforming perfect, cant fault it tbh. top speed up and down. :)

/thumbs

Hugh
21-04-2011, 09:27
The thing is that people are stating just because people don't post their problems with the SuperHub on a forum, it doesn't mean they aren't happening (which is a valid point).

But the contrary is also true - just because people don't post that the SuperHub works fine, doesn't mean it doesn't (if you get what I mean).

It would appear people are hypothesing based on insufficient evidence; Nopanic has stated above (in post #25) that he has access to fault reports by type of equipment, and that the figures do not reflect what some people appear to be stating (that the SuperHub is causing major problems to a large number of users*).

People are entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.....

(*this is not denying that some people have had problems)

---------- Post added at 09:27 ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 ----------

Happy to oblige.:D

As people are not denying there are some problems, just not as widespread as is being mooted, I see your denial, and raise you a

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/04/58.jpg

:D

foddy
21-04-2011, 09:37
It would appear people are hypothesing based on insufficient evidence; Nopanic has stated above (in post #25) that he has access to fault reports by type of equipment, and that the figures do not reflect what some people appear to be stating (that the SuperHub is causing major problems to a large number of users*).

Unfortunately, because Nopanic (understandably) can't give out the figures, it's still not fact. He's in a position to make judgements based on the data he has access to, as is everyone else. He may be better informed, but it's still opinion.

I'm not saying that he's telling fibs, but just that saying he has access to statistics won't reassure anyone.

pip08456
21-04-2011, 09:43
Before the superhub I was NEVER called out for wifi issues. Now I have about 2 a day, none of which I can fix. The call center get me out with jobs like "downstream 8db" and when I turn up the agent has told them I will stop there wifi dropping. Not possible you have a superdud!

If jb's post is typical of what is happening then NoPanic can have as many graphs, piecharts and figures as he wants. If the SH problem is being reported as a different fault then his figures will be inheritantly wrong.

If it is happening with one engineer who posts here how many others is it happening to?

Hugh
21-04-2011, 10:24
Extrapolation from a single source is not a valid statistical methodology....;)

Whilst Nopanic has the collated stats, which are more likely to reflect reality.

pip08456
21-04-2011, 10:29
That's why I used the word IF!:D

Chrysalis
21-04-2011, 10:48
Hugh we can hardly call what nopanic states as evidence based on that VM tech support appears flawed in that they dont acknowledge issues correctly, evident by jjb66 attending faults thinking its a SNR issue when its a superhub issue (so not logged), and on top of that the fact I dont trust what nopanic says. At best he is posting an honest opinion as foddy said.

Daveoc64
21-04-2011, 11:07
I have unticked everything and unticked everything and still I have had no issues with browsing, speed, Youtube or even downloading because it just works and this is what most people see with their connection

If that's the case, why is Virgin Media rushing out a fix just before the weekend of Easter?

I'd love to know what magical thing you've done to make it "just work".

sniper007
21-04-2011, 11:30
I'm torn at the moment... intially I stuck up for the superhub as it seems a really nice all in one effort from Virgin. OK so it doesn't have advanced features found in some routers like QOS, but I think people who complain about that are expecting too much for a generic all in one. You can hardly compare it to an open source Linksys running DD-WRT or Tomato for example.

Then....the problems began.

First of all wireless. The range is not as good as other routers. Despite the range reporting as solid, it seems flakey. The most current problem I am facing is that my clients struggle to connect and stay connected for literally seconds before dropping out, then they will retry and so on in a loop. The only fix is a superhub reboot.

I generally find perhaps once a week something will not be working properly and it will need a reboot. The thing is, that's unacceptable for me. A reboot is a headache if I have stuff running/downloading/streaming. This is designed to be the central hub for my home network and it fails as that primarily because it's unreliable.

I have had issues (know issue) where I have had to disable IP Flood detection or the router "spaz's out" (technical term) with traffic and shafts the connection with a huge latency in ping and more jitter.

Other people have had to turn the firewall off to stop issues.

And then the last straw, the rushed R25 firmware despite testers on VM forums pointing out the issues. Virgin rushed this out introducing a major problem. It looks like they rushed it to cover up a security hole with SSH access which was available in previous firmwares which would have given people major low level access to the hardware internally. I understand why they reacted quickly to that, but it kind of stinks that they ignored beta testers highlighting major issues.

Now R26 is said to have been pushed to testers again and there are already talks of this going live by possibly even tomorrow. Call me synical, but I'd expect a longer test period than that and releasing before a bank holiday weekend is risky. Having said that they need to fix the issue asap so it is a tough call.

I now read of issues with internal Gigabit ports hating large file transfers....sigh.

I need to do more testing basically.

Chrysalis
21-04-2011, 11:56
its been suggested by someone elsewhere that the superhubs may have different internals, so multiple revisions of the product out there, a theoretical explanation as to why some people seem to have had no issues.

pip08456
21-04-2011, 12:01
R26 is being pushed out only to fix intermittant download and streaming issues which it appears to do.

The other issues you report still need to be resolved.

Chrysalis
21-04-2011, 12:05
yeah R26 is just taking us back to where R24 was really. Still be various bugs left and a distinct lack of features. I do wonder if R26 is even R24 with ssh disabled ;) that change ignition said was to do with BSR monitoring is also gone in R26, it is back to the best effort scheduler.

Skie
21-04-2011, 12:08

I've phoned twice about my hub, and never have they acknowledged it was a fault with the hub. Having to restart daily to get wifi working wasn't its fault, nor were the low speedtest results (IP Flood). Data is only as good as those entering it, and we all love offshore :monkey:

TJS
21-04-2011, 12:29
its been suggested by someone elsewhere that the superhubs may have different internals, so multiple revisions of the product out there, a theoretical explanation as to why some people seem to have had no issues.

I was wondering about this, because my homehub says Hardware version 2.

But im not sure if there ever was a 1 or if that was a different modem or what. :erm:

Mick Fisher
21-04-2011, 13:13
My superdud is hardware version 2.

When I was an active plumbing/heating installer I loved my work and took great care to do the best possible job I could. One day while I was cleaning flux residue from my pipework a builder said "I don't know why you bother so much, as long as the radiators get hot is all people care about".

I suspect the same may be so for the majority of VM's BB subscribers.

So long as they can browse the Net, get on Facebook, get their mail on probably a single PC is all they care about. Lots even have no idea what speed tier they are on so do not know if their connection is working well or not.

And even if they do have a clue and phone in a fault they will only get to speak to India. They will then be bamboozled by fatuous rebooting and stupid speedtesting for hours only to be told their is No problemo and they have a virus. End of.......

Of course I suspect the main purpose of the off shore support is to fob people off and NOT to escalate faults in order to make VM look better than they are.

Again only opinion based on my own experiences but just as valid as the opinionated "It works for me so it's a brilliant piece of kit" responses. ;)

arcimedes
21-04-2011, 13:25
My superdud is hardware version 2.

When I was an active plumbing/heating installer I loved my work and took great care to do the best possible job I could. One day while I was cleaning flux residue from my pipework a builder said "I don't know why you bother so much, as long as the radiators get hot is all people care about".

I suspect the same may be so for the majority of VM's BB subscribers.

So long as they can browse the Net, get on Facebook, get their mail on probably a single PC is all they care about. Lots even have no idea what speed tier they are on so do not know if their connection is working well or not.

And even if they do have a clue and phone in a fault they will only get to speak to India. They will then be bamboozled by fatuous rebooting and stupid speedtesting for hours only to be told their is No problemo and they have a virus. End of.......

Of course I suspect the main purpose of the off shore support is to fob people off and NOT to escalate faults in order to make VM look better than they are.

Again only opinion based on my own experiences but just as valid as the opinionated "It works for me so it's a brilliant piece of kit" responses. ;)

The only thing I disagree with is your comments on fault reporting. I think a few years ago this was true and they made you go through the script and re-booting all and sundry. Nowadays they actually do listen to you and believe what you are saying.

Mick Fisher
21-04-2011, 13:56
The only thing I disagree with is your comments on fault reporting. I think a few years ago this was true and they made you go through the script and re-booting all and sundry. Nowadays they actually do listen to you and believe what you are saying.
I'm glad to hear that you have had a better experience with the offshore support than I. ;)

TJS
21-04-2011, 14:27
Also another point that might be irrelevant, I am using Apple Mac computers with 802.11N wifi (i think the wifi chips in macs are broadcom)

Zee
21-04-2011, 15:09
The signal isn't as strong as some other routers which is the problem. I used to get full bars in my kitchen with my other netgear, with the superhub, get only 2-3 bars for some reason.

pip08456
21-04-2011, 15:13
The signal isn't as strong as some other routers which is the problem. I used to get full bars in my kitchen with my other netgear, with the superhub, get only 2-3 bars for some reason.

Simple reason - the wireless on it is pants!

pabscars
21-04-2011, 15:24
Simple reason - the wireless on it is pants!

Worse than pants

Chrysalis
21-04-2011, 16:12
as expected the R26 is going out this week,VM are rolling it out tonight.

bridge mode has a new planned (delayed) date of june.

Nopanic
21-04-2011, 18:08
You haters read a few reports that the SH is rubbish and from then on you stick your fingers firmly in your ears and shout as loud as you can "its crap, its crap, its crap"

It has faults, everything has faults, it has users that don't like it, everything has users like that .. its not suitable for .. blah blah blah ..

Regardless of how many people you see with a faulty hub, or how many people have complained on a forum about it, the figures for success massively outweigh those of the failures.

Now I'm sure you'll be thinking well, all the customers who haven't called in are just too lazy and if you want to think like that you can.

VM are working on its faults, they have acknowledged these faults and continue to test and improve. Whether you lot like it or not, the number of successful installs, live modems, modems seeing full speed, etc is miles higher than the complaints and issues.

Personally, I don't care. The SH can be replaced tomorrow or it can live for ever, it really make no difference to me. I'm giving you facts .. I'm not telling you I think its good and I'm not telling you I think there are more successes, I know it. If you choose not to believe me, then screw you :)

Peter_
21-04-2011, 18:13
VM has least complaints on Landline & Broadband.:)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10/33676972-vm-has-least-complaints-landline-broadband.html#post35218968

Nopanic
21-04-2011, 18:20
Broadband services

Ofcom’s data indicates that across fixed broadband providers with a market share of 5 per cent or above, it received the most complaints about TalkTalk Group with 1.27 complaints per 1000 customers from October 2010 to February 2011. Ofcom saw a peak in complaints about TalkTalk Group in November 2010, following its investigation into the company for billing consumers for cancelled services.

The least complained about provider was Virgin Media with 0.20 complaints per 1000 customers.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/04/34.gif

awesome

martyh
21-04-2011, 18:23

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10/33676972-vm-has-least-complaints-landline-broadband.html#post35218968

show off :D

yorkshireborn
21-04-2011, 18:28
You haters read a few reports that the SH is rubbish and from then on you stick your fingers firmly in your ears and shout as loud as you can "its crap, its crap, its crap"

It has faults, everything has faults, it has users that don't like it, everything has users like that .. its not suitable for .. blah blah blah ..

Regardless of how many people you see with a faulty hub, or how many people have complained on a forum about it, the figures for success massively outweigh those of the failures.

Now I'm sure you'll be thinking well, all the customers who haven't called in are just too lazy and if you want to think like that you can.

VM are working on its faults, they have acknowledged these faults and continue to test and improve. Whether you lot like it or not, the number of successful installs, live modems, modems seeing full speed, etc is miles higher than the complaints and issues.

Personally, I don't care. The SH can be replaced tomorrow or it can live for ever, it really make no difference to me. I'm giving you facts .. I'm not telling you I think its good and I'm not telling you I think there are more successes, I know it. If you choose not to believe me, then screw you :)

look now iv'e got go round your pram and pick all your toys up.

look its simple theres bad hubs and good hubs

plus you wont read virgin staff saying bad things about the SH on the off chance your bosses are reading.

jb66
21-04-2011, 18:47
So who would raher have a Superhub over a VMNG300?

Nopanic
21-04-2011, 18:49
look now iv'e got go round your pram and pick all your toys up.

look its simple theres bad hubs and good hubs

plus you wont read virgin staff saying bad things about the SH on the off chance your bosses are reading.

My bosses lol .. so now I've made my point, you're trying insults .. :cool:

Well done ..

jb66
21-04-2011, 19:36
Right my super dud has lost its settings, my SSID has changed to default and so has my network channel, lovin it.....

Mick Fisher
21-04-2011, 20:36
I switched off the auto backups to my NAS but the superdud still spontaneously reboots. Twice today so far, nothing in the event log.

arcimedes
21-04-2011, 20:43
R26 has now been loaded in my SuperHub. It went off around 17.30 for about 30 mins so i phoned 151 and they decided it needed a tech cos of the high upstream which has been booked for Easter Monday.

I now wonder if it was the download that was messing it up.

karma2578
21-04-2011, 20:50
i just had my 50mb modem (which developed a fault) replaced with this 'superhub'...only getting 5mb now

is this a common issue?

is there a fix?

correction 6mb over usenet but old modem gave me 50mb

normal speed on speedtest

Peter_
21-04-2011, 21:25
So who would raher have a Superhub over a VMNG300?
As the is no option to choose................

Chrysalis
21-04-2011, 22:38

those figures show complaints have doubled between october 2010 and now.

---------- Post added at 22:38 ---------- Previous post was at 22:37 ----------

You welcome to show these figures and the source, then I will respect it as fact. Although the fault reporting at VM leaves a lot to be desired so any figures with tech support as the source are unreliable.

Nopanic
22-04-2011, 07:18

---------- Post added at 22:38 ---------- Previous post was at 22:37 ----------

You welcome to show these figures and the source, then I will respect it as fact. Although the fault reporting at VM leaves a lot to be desired so any figures with tech support as the source are unreliable.

If VM want to make them public then they will. After your many years working for VM and analysing faults, trends and calls, I bow to your superior knowledge .. oh wait .. you make it up as you go along .. dur silly me.

Chrysalis
22-04-2011, 09:12
If VM want to make them public then they will. After your many years working for VM and analysing faults, trends and calls, I bow to your superior knowledge .. oh wait .. you make it up as you go along .. dur silly me.

right so we back to just taking your word for it and trusting VM's fault report system, no thanks.

I find you arrogant to be honest as I have 6 times now told you have I conclude what I have, its not making it up, yet you appear to simply be ignoring it, the type of guy who turns a blind eye to something he doesnt want to believe. No wonder VM is a mess if they have you doing analysis.

Hugh
22-04-2011, 09:28
You welcome to show these figures and the source, then I will respect it as fact.

Although the fault reporting at VM leaves a lot to be desired so any figures with tech support as the source are unreliable.
Those two statements appear to be inherently contradictory, as the only holistic source of data could be the VM faults system, which you appear to be stating you would not accept?

Nopanic
22-04-2011, 09:46
right so we back to just taking your word for it and trusting VM's fault report system, no thanks.

I find you arrogant to be honest as I have 6 times now told you have I conclude what I have, its not making it up, yet you appear to simply be ignoring it, the type of guy who turns a blind eye to something he doesnt want to believe. No wonder VM is a mess if they have you doing analysis.

Download Failed (1)

TJS
22-04-2011, 10:24
I love how off topic this has gone. LOL.

Peter_
22-04-2011, 11:43

Still well better than any other comparable ISP but you have ignored that bit I see.

jb66
22-04-2011, 11:53
Haven't you noticed we could help alot of folk, I.e high upstream low snr. Now someone has an issue it's put down to the superdud

arcimedes
22-04-2011, 12:40
Its quite obvious to me that things must be really bad as Virgin are sending round a tech on Easter Monday to fix my high upstream power problem.:D:rolleyes:

Oh no sorry its a fault on the Superdud as we are apparently blaming everything including the smog warning on it:shrug:

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

P.S. Actually I was quite amazed and pleased and said so to Kevin on support that they were able to send someone so quickly.

yorkshireborn
22-04-2011, 12:54
http://www.papatodd.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Pot_Meet_Kettle.jpg

this is the person you don't want on the other end of the phone as you try to report a problem.

Peter_
22-04-2011, 12:58
Haven't you noticed we could help alot of folk, I.e high upstream low snr. Now someone has an issue it's put down to the superdud
Well it is a good thing that I actually check everything to ascertain what the issue actually is as the is no way I could say it is the equipment if it is simply a power level issue.

Sirius
22-04-2011, 13:00
Looking in from the outside on this thread all i can see on both sides of the coin are so called intelligent adults acting like a bunch of kids in a school yard. One groups says "i am right and nothing you say will change it" The other group is saying "i am right and nothing you say will change it". One day you will all grow up. :D

Mick Fisher
22-04-2011, 13:05
VM could have avoided most of the mud slinging in the superdud fiasco by simply including a modem bridge mode in the original firmware. So why didn't they? Was it stupidity, plain old arrogance or is their a master plan behind it all.

It's apparently already been shown to be a simple fix. Funny how that demonstration brought about a furore to release a bugged firmware that firmly slammmed the door on ssh access.

Anyways why does the bridge mode fix keep getting pushed back and back. Sometime in June now we hear.

I have a nasty feeling that some sort of behavioural advertising scheme is at the root of all this. Maybe a scheme that is impossible to opt out of when stuck with using the superhub. Maybe bridge mode is shelved until a way is figured to implement it on any modem/router combi.

All supposition of course. ;)

Sirius
22-04-2011, 13:22
I have a nasty feeling that some sort of behavioural advertising scheme is at the root of all this. Maybe a scheme that is impossible to opt out of when stuck with using the superhub. Maybe bridge mode is shelved until a way is figured to implement it on any modem/router combi.

All supposition of course. ;)

OMG now phorm enters the scene :LOL:

Chrysalis
22-04-2011, 13:23
Those two statements appear to be inherently contradictory, as the only holistic source of data could be the VM faults system, which you appear to be stating you would not accept?

correct. in addition I dont trust data from nopanic. This is the guy who claimed upstream utilisation issues are like a needle in a haystack and that VM is perfect for gaming.

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

do you consider VM's own forums, data that is in the public limelight not a valid source of data?

adduxi
22-04-2011, 13:45
Looking in from the outside on this thread all i can see on both sides of the coin are so called intelligent adults acting like a bunch of kids in a school yard. One groups says "i am right and nothing you say will change it" The other group is saying "i am right and nothing you say will change it". One day you will all grow up. :D

LOL, this made my day. I wholeheartly agree.
No matter what the VM staff say, there must be some issues with the S'Hub. Otherwise why go to the bother of setting up a Beta Test Group and issue out firmware updates on a regular basis?
As far as my own experience with the S'Hub, all I can confirm is;
1 - The wireless is poor, when compaired to my Linksys Router.
2 - The upload speed is poor, when compaired to my old 256 Ambit modem
That's all I'm going to say on this argument. :angel:

Sirius
22-04-2011, 13:53
LOL, this made my day. I wholeheartly agree.
No matter what the VM staff say, there must be some issues with the S'Hub. Otherwise why go to the bother of setting up a Beta Test Group and issue out firmware updates on a regular basis?
As far as my own experience with the S'Hub, all I can confirm is;
1 - The wireless is poor, when compaired to my Linksys Router.
2 - The upload speed is poor, when compaired to my old 256 Ambit modem
That's all I'm going to say on this argument. :angel:

BTW i work for VM ;)

However i refuse to get drawn into the petty childish arguments that are being continued in this thread by some on BOTH sides.

jb66
22-04-2011, 14:03
It's not childish, 3 superhubs I have had consistently reboot/drop wifi. My regular hub doesn't at all. There is a flaw in the superhub design. Folk on here are hailing it a success when it's obvious it's been a flop

Sirius
22-04-2011, 14:10
It's not childish, 3 superhubs I have had consistently reboot/drop wifi. My regular hub doesn't at all. There is a flaw in the superhub design. Folk on here are hailing it a success when it's obvious it's been a flop

That's not my point, My point is the way people are talking to each other in this thread. Far as i am concerned there is or there is not a problem. In the end we will know the truth however we could at least act like adults in this thread instead of the way some are acting .

Chrysalis
22-04-2011, 14:42
Sirius you are right, I get frustrated tho when someone claims everything is perfect and tells me I am talking rubbish out of thin air. Ultimately I want the superhub to be better hence me signing up to be a beta tester, inconveniancing myself to plug it back in to test the firmware as well. I dont want it or VM to fail believe it or not.

I dont claim its a complete failure either, its clear on my line that the vmng300 is a bit problematic, I get bursts of packetloss and lag every now and then which is frustrating me, the superhub doesnt get these bursts but of course has its own issues which makes overall on the bigger picture the vmng300 the better device as its issues tend to be for short bursts only whilst superhub issues tend to be ongoing for me. I have a history of pushing companies to strive for better service for all customers, if companies arent pushed by their customers then they will make the mistake of sitting back and thinking everyone is happy.

I have gave an honest opinion and even told people if their usage is basic the superhub will be adequate, it tends to fail when used for things that are perhaps not default behaviour, but of course with VM enforcing this as the router for customer's to use they then have a duty to make sure it works for non default behaviour, a bridge mode would perhaps relieve them of that duty but it still isnt implemented 5 months after release.

So things like the denial pictures are to add a bit of humour to a frustrating situation.

Nopanic has a disclaimer stating what he posts is by no means official but wants what he says regarding feedback to be treated as such, I wont accept that but everyone else is welcome to accept it or not for themselves. I will continue to try and help people with their superhub issues on here unless of course forum staff tell me I am doing something wrong at which point I will stop.

Sirius
22-04-2011, 14:47
Sirius you are right, I get frustrated tho when someone claims everything is perfect and tells me I am talking rubbish out of thin air. Ultimately I want the superhub to be better hence me signing up to be a beta tester, inconveniancing myself to plug it back in to test the firmware as well. I dont want it or VM to fail believe it or not.

I dont claim its a complete failure either, its clear on my line that the vmng300 is a bit problematic, I get bursts of packetloss and lag every now and then which is frustrating me, the superhub doesnt get these bursts but of course has its own issues which makes overall on the bigger picture the vmng300 the better device as its issues tend to be for short bursts only whilst superhub issues tend to be ongoing for me. I have a history of pushing companies to strive for better service for all customers, if companies arent pushed by their customers then they will make the mistake of sitting back and thinking everyone is happy.

I have gave an honest opinion and even told people if their usage is basic the superhub will be adequate, it tends to fail when used for things that are perhaps not default behaviour, but of course with VM enforcing this as the router for customer's to use they then have a duty to make sure it works for non default behaviour, a bridge mode would perhaps relieve them of that duty but it still isnt implemented 5 months after release.

So things like the denial pictures are to add a bit of humour to a frustrating situation.

Nopanic has a disclaimer stating what he posts is by no means official but wants what he says regarding feedback to be treated as such, I wont accept that but everyone else is welcome to accept it or not for themselves. I will continue to try and help people with their superhub issues on here unless of course forum staff tell me I am doing something wrong at which point I will stop.

My hope is that the bridge mode is introduced sooner rather than later. It will at least give an option to those who wish to use there own router and that includes me as i use a Linux based router.

Hugh
22-04-2011, 14:48
Can I just state for the record, that I have never stated that the SuperHub has no problems - what I get concerned at is what appears to a problem with a minority of customers (albeit a reasonable number of them) is inflated into the proposition that the SuperHub is not fit for purpose for the majority of customers; and any disagreement with this proposition gets one bracketed with a "denial squad" - it's not black/white, it's fuzzy.

I decry the inflation of the problem, but do not deny that there are problems.

btw, some people don't help their case with the repeated use childish names like "pooperhub" and "superdud" - this reflects more on their level of emotional intelligence and maturity than anything else, imho.

Peter_
22-04-2011, 15:16
I dont claim its a complete failure either, its clear on my line that the vmng300 is a bit problematic, I get bursts of packetloss and lag every now and then which is frustrating me, the superhub doesnt get these bursts but of course has its own issues which makes overall on the bigger picture the vmng300 the better device as its issues tend to be for short bursts only whilst superhub issues tend to be ongoing for me.
Little point is championing a device that is no longer issued by a company because it has been superseded by another device as it gets a bit like comparing vinyl to a cd.

jb66
22-04-2011, 15:49
I refuse to call it a superhub as it's not super, far from it

Helix
22-04-2011, 15:59
They should have found a better name for it really, V Hub or something. BT call their equivalent Home Hub, they don't try to make out its something its not - Super.

pip08456
22-04-2011, 16:06
They should have found a better name for it really, V Hub or something. BT call their equivalent Home Hub, they don't try to make out its something its not - Super.

They also allow you to use your own on Infinity without theirs being in the equasion!

BT's flagship Infinity supplied with HH3-Modem.

VM's Flagship 100Mb plooperhub.

From another post here.

Just got off the phone with Virgin,new superhub in the post.According to the guy on the phone its a common issue and they are getting through hubs hand over fist.

Thanks for the help,will probably post again in a few weeks when the new one gives up the ghost too :(

Either that or support are lieing through their teeth again! Or the poster is telling porkies!

Skie
22-04-2011, 19:48
I think one of the major issues with the hub that people can't deny is the woeful wireless. If you have all N devices or have the hub near the kit then you should be fine, but for those of us who are used to having their dedicated router be able to reach everywhere (and then some) then you will be in for a shock at how poor the range is.

I was lucky to have wifi in the kitchen (with the hub in the loft). But my old, and now my new routers are both capable of giving great speeds throughout the house, garden and most of the way down the street. This area dosent have a lot of nearby networks according to inSSIDer (1 other half decent one and 4 that barely register half of the time).

Even installers have complained about the wireless.

Chrysalis
22-04-2011, 19:58
how many wireless N routers on the market have no external antennaes?

Peter_
22-04-2011, 20:15
how many wireless N routers on the market have no external antennaes?
Oddly enough many Netgear models do.;)

Skie
22-04-2011, 20:52
And most Netgear routers get reviews that contain the phrase "the range could be better".

A lot of the newer Linksys/Cisco consumer routers have internal antennae too and they are regularly credited with good range.

So its a Netgear flaw rather than an inability to have internal antennae and decent performance.

_wtf_
23-04-2011, 08:57
Little point is championing a device that is no longer issued by a company because it has been superseded by another device as it gets a bit like comparing vinyl to a cd.

And we all know vinyl is superior and is kind of making comeback

Peter_
23-04-2011, 09:01
Not really as many companies are now going down the download only route and vinyl is used mainly by dj's, try buying a turntable.;)

_wtf_
23-04-2011, 09:14
Not really as many companies are now going down the download only route and vinyl is used mainly by dj's, try buying a turntable.;)

You serious? Take a look at some of the release dates on some of these.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/directQuery.do?ctx=-1;1;-1;-1;208&seeall=true&N=1631&adultFlag=false

As for turntables audiophiles tend to go for these

http://www.divineaudio.co.uk/hi-fi/turntables/cat_35.html?page=0

Oh, and I have got a couple of turntables ;)

Peter_
23-04-2011, 09:31
You serious? Take a look at some of the release dates on some of these.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/directQuery.do?ctx=-1;1;-1;-1;208&seeall=true&N=1631&adultFlag=false

As for turntables audiophiles tend to go for these

http://www.divineaudio.co.uk/hi-fi/turntables/cat_35.html?page=0

Oh, and I have got a couple of turntables ;)
Most people nowadays will just go to iTunes as it is quicker and more convenient and turntables cost money and take up space.

_wtf_
23-04-2011, 09:33
Most people nowadays will just go to iTunes as it is quicker and more convenient and turntables cost money and take up space.

So now you're changing the point you were trying to make :confused:

Peter_
23-04-2011, 09:36
So now you're changing the point you were trying to make :confused:
Not really it is still a good comparison as vinyl is a retrograde step in most peoples eyes which compared to people saying you want a VMNG300 is very much the same but at least vinyl is manufactured albeit in small quantities unlike the VMNG300 which is now defunct.

_wtf_
23-04-2011, 09:47
... unlike the VMNG300 which is now defunct.
Unless you ring the CEO's office :erm:

Chrysalis
23-04-2011, 10:17
Not really it is still a good comparison as vinyl is a retrograde step in most peoples eyes which compared to people saying you want a VMNG300 is very much the same but at least vinyl is manufactured albeit in small quantities unlike the VMNG300 which is now defunct.

problem for your point is the vmng300's are still been supplied by ceo office on request. This is a good thing for your company so not sure why you trying to pretend it isnt happening.

vinyl is a work of art as well.

arcimedes
23-04-2011, 10:33

Ah the old analogue v digital argument. Though I'm not sure how it applies to digital transmission medium:erm:

I expect if you make a CD the size of vinyl LP then you could improve the quality but how many people would notice the difference;)

Peter_
23-04-2011, 10:40
Unless you ring the CEO's office :erm:
They are getting as rare as hens teeth.

---------- Post added at 10:40 ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 ----------

problem for your point is the vmng300's are still been supplied by ceo office on request. This is a good thing for your company so not sure why you trying to pretend it isnt happening.

I have never denied that the CEO's office may be able to get you a VMNG300 but supplies will be finite which I have said on many occasions.

craigj2k12
23-04-2011, 11:19

you have an unhealthy obsession with hens teeth

TJS
23-04-2011, 12:03
Ok, so this topic has gone from me saying the super-hub isn't as bad to people talking about vinyl records and hens teeth? LOL

Peter_
23-04-2011, 12:05
you have an unhealthy obsession with hens teeth
None existant ones at that.

jb66
23-04-2011, 12:18
Hens have beaks

sniper007
23-04-2011, 12:34
I'd like to see better debugging/logging options on the superhub so we can work out why it sometimes behaves the way it does like with reboots. I might also start a new thread about hardware revisionsas Id be interested in that. Can someone state what hardware revisions of the superhub there are so I can start one with a poll? I know there is 2.0. Is there 1.0? 1.1 ?

pip08456
23-04-2011, 12:37
Don't you mean hardware version?

Nopanic
23-04-2011, 20:34
Hens have beaks

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/04/28.jpg

pip08456
23-04-2011, 22:12

---------- Post added at 10:40 ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 ----------

I have never denied that the CEO's office may be able to get you a VMNG300 but supplies will be finite which I have said on many occasions.

At the risk of repeating myself.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/95.jpg

Peter_
23-04-2011, 22:19
I am more amused at some peoples belief that the VMNG300 will make a triumphant return but sadly it is consigned to annals of time as the Superhub is the way forward with modem mode on the horizon.

jb66
25-04-2011, 20:46
Put my dud to 145 mode yesterday, not a reboot yet....

pip08456
25-04-2011, 21:53
Put my dud to 145 mode yesterday, not a reboot yet....

It took you so long to try that after it's been posted many times?:D:D:D

Jon T
25-04-2011, 22:03
I've been using a Linksys 320N router on connected to my Superhub since the SH replaced my SB4100, thought i'd give the Superhub a chance on it's own the other day, so I unplugged the 310N turned on the wireless on the superhub, that setup lasted for about.

The more serious problems seem to have started yesterday, completely lost access to the internet, logged in to the Superhub and found "Network Access Denied", this was solved by a reboot. Same thing happened again today. Just waiting to see if the repeats itself again. Only other thing I notice it that I now have the R26 firmware.

To sum up my experience, until the reboots i've had no problems with the Superhub at all. But forget using the wireless on it, you need to be so close to it you may a cabled connection instead.

Stuart
25-04-2011, 22:20
The facts, as I see them, are that while there is a problem (if there weren't, VM wouldn't be rushing a fix out), but it's probably not as widespread as some forum members (and news sites) would have you believe. If it was, then I suspect that VM would pull the superhub and go back to the modems. Anything rather than risk the damage to their reputation a mass failure would cause.

Now, whether we like it or not, one of the metrics VM will use to determine if there is a problem is the number of reported faults and the type. Most of us will not have access to that info. Even the VM staff members may not have access (or they may do), but Masque *is* dealing with customers, so at least he will have an idea of how many customers he is dealing with that have problems.

Another fact is that people don't tend to join forums to say that they are getting good service. They do, however, tend to join forums to say they aren't.

Only the staff members themselves know exactly what diagnostic info they have from the device. You can argue that data is only a good as those entering it (which is true), but what about the data that comes from the devices themselves?

craigj2k12
25-04-2011, 22:24
The facts, as I see them, are that while there is a problem (if there weren't, VM wouldn't be rushing a fix out), but it's probably not as widespread as some forum members (and news sites) would have you believe. If it was, then I suspect that VM would pull the superhub and go back to the modems. Anything rather than risk the damage to their reputation a mass failure would cause.

Now, whether we like it or not, one of the metrics VM will use to determine if there is a problem is the number of reported faults and the type. Most of us will not have access to that info. Even the VM staff members may not have access (or they may do), but Masque *is* dealing with customers, so at least he will have an idea of how many customers he is dealing with that have problems.

Another fact is that people don't tend to join forums to say that they are getting good service. They do, however, tend to join forums to say they aren't.

Only the staff members themselves know exactly what diagnostic info they have from the device. You can argue that data is only a good as those entering it (which is true), but what about the data that comes from the devices themselves?

while masque is a very nice guy, and very helpful chap, I do think that VM are bullying their staff into not admitting that there are any faults with the superhub, as he often defends it in instances where it really isnt necessary

Stuart
25-04-2011, 22:34
While I wouldn't put it past VM to do that, they aren't actually denying there is any problem. On the contrary, they are rushing a new version of the firmware in an apparent effort to fix the problem you seem to think they are denying.

Peter_
25-04-2011, 22:38
while masque is a very nice guy, and very helpful chap, I do think that VM are bullying their staff into not admitting that there are any faults with the superhub, as he often defends it in instances where it really isnt necessary
I only state that mine works without issue, it just works regardless of how I set it up and it has never rebooted once apart from an outage 2 weeks ago, it may just be the local network has no issues.

If the were major issues we would be made aware and all we have been told is that the R26 has been released and that modem mode should appear in around 2 months time which was the promised date of June which people seem to have forgotten.

pip08456
25-04-2011, 22:41
I only state that mine works without issue, it just works regardless of how I set it up and it has never rebooted once apart from an outage 2 weeks ago, it may just be the local network has no issues.

If the were major issues we would be made aware and all we have been told is that the R26 has been released and that modem mode should appear in around 2 months time which was the promised date of June which people seem to have forgotten.

Modem mode was not first promised for release in June. It was promised for May.

Chrysalis
25-04-2011, 22:44
While I wouldn't put it past VM to do that, they aren't actually denying there is any problem. On the contrary, they are rushing a new version of the firmware in an apparent effort to fix the problem you seem to think they are denying.

which makes it more amusing that whilst they officially admit to at least some of the problems that staff on here still deny it all.

Peter_
25-04-2011, 22:45
I am sure it was May/June but it will be here soon enough anyway.

Stuart
25-04-2011, 22:48

Furthur to the above, I don't think VM are likely to do anymore than they have. Everyone appears to want a public announcement that there is a problem.

If they do that, they run the risk of repeating the Ratner situation. Remember that? Gerald Ratner said that their products were crap. Sales fell through the floor and the Ratner's chain (and subsidaries) were later sold off for a fraction of what they were worth before the comments.

The problem would be (as it was with the comments mentioned above) is that the media will take the announcement and turn it into a story that gives people the impression the whole service is crap. Particularly, I suspect, the Murdoch-owned section of the press.

Sirius
25-04-2011, 22:49

I just wish they would bring it out so those who have problems have a way of fixing that problem by using there own router. We might then get some peace on here :)

pip08456
25-04-2011, 22:58

It was the beginning of May, not May/june.

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

I just wish they would bring it out so those who have problems have a way of fixing that problem by using there own router. We might then get some peace on here :)

Agreed.:D

Chrysalis
25-04-2011, 23:02

It was start of may, june is what appeared in a recent announcement. If comes end of june its effectively 2 months behind.

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:59 ----------

people did manage to workaround the issues but VM went out of their way to block the method of enabling bridge mode in the old firmware.

pip08456
25-04-2011, 23:05
people did manage to workaround the issues but VM went out of their way to block the method of enabling bridge mode in the old firmware.

Which begs the question - Why is bridge mode taking so long?

craigj2k12
25-04-2011, 23:12

as a disclaimer I wasnt referring to you directly boss ;)

although there are always 2 sides to an argument, as there are to sides to a coin, people have issues, some dont. I will say though, you mustn't have manually forwarded many ports if yours has had no problems. I havnt used mine since R25, but every time i forwarded more than 3 ports it completely locked up

i was just saying in my post that VM staff seem to defend the superhub quite a lot, but as you can see from the title of this thread not everyone has problems with it

---------- Post added at 23:12 ---------- Previous post was at 23:11 ----------

Which begs the question - Why is bridge mode taking so long?

look at the success of the firmwares they have released recently, they have brought along more problems than they have resolved!!!

the coding team clearly arent up to scratch, or there is a communication break down at netgear, because the buggy updates shouldn't be released with the extent of problems which they had

Chrysalis
25-04-2011, 23:20
3 ports? wow you lucky.

on my tests if i even forwarded 1 port the superhub started having routing issues but ok I give in as mine didnt lock up. :) I did have that time it wouldnt boot up for a few hours tho.

I can confirm the lan traffic reboots for sure, I only had to send a 100meg file over my lan and it rebooted. when I forced a 100mbit lan speed it was ok tho but couldnt max out the speed, my dir615 out performs it on 100mbit connection speeds. on gigabit its less than half the throughput of my billion 7402nx and self rebooted.

Peter_
26-04-2011, 05:53
as a disclaimer I wasnt referring to you directly boss ;)

although there are always 2 sides to an argument, as there are to sides to a coin, people have issues, some dont. I will say though, you mustn't have manually forwarded many ports if yours has had no problems. I havnt used mine since R25, but every time i forwarded more than 3 ports it completely locked up

i was just saying in my post that VM staff seem to defend the superhub quite a lot, but as you can see from the title of this thread not everyone has problems with it

Running the Superhub as standard with no ports forwarded at all and I have 2 wireless networks n the property one being the hub and the other my Edimax router running as an access point with similar output from both.

It works for me and if it had any major issues on my connection I would downgrade to 20Mb.

AL123
26-04-2011, 12:40
It was start of may, june is what appeared in a recent announcement. If comes end of june its effectively 2 months behind.

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:59 ----------

Hi i've read alot of this and on the virgin media forum and i'm still confused!
as i understand it you can still run an additional router as an access point at the very least? Luckily we still have an old D link router that i have set up in acess point mode in our hosue as the wireless was apalling on the superhub. I guess the downside would be lack of hardware firewall in that case?

Also I still can't fathom whether with the r26 firmware i can renable the firewall and ip flood detection or even use the superhub wireless now. Currenly i have also diabled the wireless as the D link router is quite near to the superhub

Cheers

Al

Fspiders
26-04-2011, 19:25
Up till Friday morning I would agreed with the OP. Never had a single drop out with great wireless connection and no lagging in xbox and playstation. The blue light only flashing when accessing data etc'.

However Thursday night VM upgraded me from r25 to r26 and also upgraded the 1m upload to 3. Since then it's been a nightmare, the damn thing rarely keeps connected more than 10 minutes and the blue light continuously flashes even with no computers connected. After 3 days of switching it on and off it's finally died, I have 3 blue lights with no network or internet.

So now I'm on a 3g dongle waiting for a new super hub. Why they had to mess with my hub I've no idea and I've no faith in the new hub being any better if it's got the same firmware version in it.

One good thing came out of it. VM said throw the old hub away... So I've had a great 10 minutes introducing it to my lump hammer :)

I've saved the 2 little aerials out of it as they might increase the signal if added to the original two in the hub.

Regards.

adduxi
26-04-2011, 23:14
One good thing came out of it. VM said throw the old hub away... So I've had a great 10 minutes introducing it to my lump hammer :)

Teriffic! Did you get lots of close up pictures of the insides? Really like to see what is in the wee beasty, and on the circuit boards. :cool:

pip08456
26-04-2011, 23:31
Especially the chip it's using.

Fspiders
27-04-2011, 10:43
Funny you should ask that lol.

Have the details off all the chips on the board so if you need any details of a particular chip let me know.

Regards.

Chrysalis
27-04-2011, 10:52
why am I not surprised the board looks bare and way smaller than the casing :)

craigj2k12
27-04-2011, 11:30
if i ever get told to throw mine away, it will be introduced to my uncles 12 gauge shotgun!!

pip08456
27-04-2011, 12:38
The modem chip should be up to the job, seems like all the problems ar firmware based.

That is only my opinion though (To stop the pedants!:D) but based on this (http://www.broadcom.com/products/Cable/Cable-Modem-Solutions/BCM3380).

I will add the VMNG300 needed several firmware updates before it got as good as it is but, they were done in less time and weren't causing as many problems as the SH is or appears to.

Chrysalis
27-04-2011, 12:50
yeah I have commented that I think the modem side of the superhub is fine. Its issues all seem related to the router side of it and possibly also how the modem integrates with the router as well.

adduxi
27-04-2011, 13:25
I will add the VMNG300 needed several firmware updates before it got as good as it is but, they were done in less time and weren't causing as many problems as the SH is or appears to.

On that point, does any one here know the versions of software a VMNG300 should be at? I'm only asking as I know a friend who managed to get a new one, and was wondering if the firmware will be upgraded at some point. :)

craigj2k12
27-04-2011, 13:28
On that point, does any one here know the versions of software a VMNG300 should be at? I'm only asking as I know a friend who managed to get a new one, and was wondering if the firmware will be upgraded at some point. :)

why would it be upgraded?

adduxi
27-04-2011, 13:30
why would it be upgraded?

Because it was shiny new out of the box, apparently, so I was told .....:)

Chrysalis
27-04-2011, 13:31
mine is 3.11.1201 and I have a feeling it was flashed while I was on the phone as they sent a few things to it which needed 2 reboots before I could use it.

craigj2k12
27-04-2011, 13:40
mine is 3.11.1201 and I have a feeling it was flashed while I was on the phone as they sent a few things to it which needed 2 reboots before I could use it.

mine needed 2 or three re-boots after is was activated, he said on the phone that the firmware will be updating.

---------- Post added at 13:40 ---------- Previous post was at 13:38 ----------

Because it was shiny new out of the box, apparently, so I was told .....:)

either way, the updates go out automatically. Just like with the superhub, once you re-boot it, you automatically have the new firmware.

By the way, mine wasnt in a box, it had plastic wrapping and bubble wrap, and looked brand new, but it had events in the event log from 2009

Chrysalis
27-04-2011, 13:41
yeah mine was clean but had no box etc. it was even delivered by the postman, he had to knock on door with letters in hand and my vmng300 LOL.

craigj2k12
27-04-2011, 13:44
yeah mine was clean but had no box etc. it was even delivered by the postman, he had to knock on door with letters in hand and my vmng300 LOL.

same, it was very quick delivery though, less than 24 hours

Chrysalis
27-04-2011, 13:46
yeah was fast, I think if I remember right shipped on friday and here monday morning. Also the plug it came with makes a weird noise, luckily its the exact same spec as the superhub plug so I am using the superhub plug with mine. Although I do wonder if its the right plug as yes my vmng300 did come with a plug that has a netgear label on it.

craigj2k12
27-04-2011, 13:47
yeah was fast, I think if I remember right shipped on friday and here monday morning.

mine was shipped tuesday, and here by wednesday. the CEO office is in manchester i think, so its not that far from me

adduxi
27-04-2011, 13:53
Thanks guys, I'll err, get my friend to check the firmware later this evening.
The modem was delivered by an engineer who stayed through the whole process of installing, removing the S'Hub and waited until power levels, upload & download tests/checks were finished. It all looked very shiny, plastic wrapped and new. Nothing in the Event log from an earlier time.

craigj2k12
27-04-2011, 13:58
mine says

Software Version : 3.11.1201

jb66
27-04-2011, 14:31
yeah was fast, I think if I remember right shipped on friday and here monday morning. Also the plug it came with makes a weird noise, luckily its the exact same spec as the superhub plug so I am using the superhub plug with mine. Although I do wonder if its the right plug as yes my vmng300 did come with a plug that has a netgear label on it.

Its the wrong one if it says netgear on it

Chrysalis
27-04-2011, 14:36
yuou have the right spec for it?

I can then use one of those multi adaptor plugs set to right setting.

pip08456
27-04-2011, 14:49
One of the reported "faults" with the SH was the power adaptor making a noise. With it having Netgear on it looks like that's what you've got.

Reason, again reported and my own experience, the tech comes, unplugs the mdoem and plugs everything into the SH including the power adaptor that was in use.

I'll have a look at mine shortly (bit unaccessable ATM) and post the specs back.

jb66
27-04-2011, 14:54
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/04/11.jpg

---------- Post added at 14:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

One of the reported "faults" with the SH was the power adaptor making a noise. With it having Netgear on it looks like that's what you've got.

Reason, again reported and my own experience, the tech comes, unplugs the mdoem and plugs everything into the SH including the power adaptor that was in use.

I'll have a look at mine shortly (bit unaccessable ATM) and post the specs back.

The curved versions sometimes squeal, but the squareish ones dont.

craigj2k12
27-04-2011, 14:56
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/04/11.jpg

---------- Post added at 14:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

the hubs are supplied with the curved ones no?

jb66
27-04-2011, 15:05

Chrysalis
27-04-2011, 15:18
ok so + and 10v thanks.

yeah the plug I got here that came with it is + and 12v so I am over volting it. netgear label, same plug as superhub.

jb66
27-04-2011, 15:34
the hubs are supplied with the curved ones no?

He was asking about a vmng300 plug not a hub, yes the hub is usually curved

craigj2k12
27-04-2011, 16:30
He was asking about a vmng300 plug not a hub, yes the hub is usually curved

the plug i got with my modem is identical to the superhub one

jb66
27-04-2011, 17:25
I don't think it matters too much with the vmng300 as the psu we got with them was the same as the ambit 256 but I'm sure the old psu we got was 12v

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

The vmng300 uses a 12v psu so the netgear is the correct one, apologies it's been a while since I installed one

TJS
27-04-2011, 19:36

agree with the noise, i thought it was the V+ box's hdd at first

Skie
27-04-2011, 21:15
So the superhub is capable of 320 Mbps max then going by those chip specs. That is probably with the CPU just being used as a CM, not all the extra stuff VM are asking it to do too. So once 300+ is rolled out the SH will be obsolete :p

jb66
27-04-2011, 21:24
Once 100 goes to 8 channels the ambit should be obsolete

Peter_
27-04-2011, 21:31
Which is why it has been superseded by the Superhub as sooner or later they will fail on the network.

pip08456
27-04-2011, 21:38
Sorry for the late repost Chrys, got involved with someting else and forgot!:dozey:

My recollections were correct. The VMNG uses a 12V adaptor the SH 10V

Here's my orignal adaptor for the VMNG300. (currently being used for the SH with no problems.).

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/04/7.jpg

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

The VMNG300 only needs a firmware update (as originally envisaged) for 8 channel bonding to be enabled.

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

Which is why it has been superseded by the Superhub as sooner or later they will fail on the network.

Unless of course the necessary firmware upgrade is implemented.:D

jb66
27-04-2011, 21:42
Doubt vm will pay for the ambit firmware update, superhub also uses 12v. Only old modems use 10v

Peter_
27-04-2011, 21:46
Unless of course the necessary firmware upgrade is implemented.:D
The VMNG300 is obsolete so no firmware upgrades for it.https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/04/6.gif

The Superhub on the otherhand is awaiting R27 in a couple of months.http://www.addemoticons.com/emoticon/animated/AddEmoticons04257.gif

pip08456
27-04-2011, 21:47
Doubt vm will pay for the ambit firmware update, superhub also uses 12v. Only old modems use 10v

But the adaptor you showed was only 10V. According to the tech who stole my VMNG300 (:D) mine was a first version and that had a 12V adaptor as shown.

Peter_
27-04-2011, 21:49
But the adaptor you showed was only 10V. According to the tech who stole my VMNG300 (:D) mine was a first version and that had a 12V adaptor as shown.
The later VMNG300 modems had a permanent connection from the powerpack with a on/off switch fitted to the lead rather than a socket, some 256 modems also have these fitted as well.

pip08456
27-04-2011, 22:15
The later VMNG300 modems had a permanent connection from the powerpack with a on/off switch fitted to the lead rather than a socket, some 256 modems also have these fitted as well.

You've lost me there Masque.:p:

What's that got to do with 10V or 12V?:confused:

Skie
27-04-2011, 22:16
Depends on the number of hens teeth needed.

jb66
27-04-2011, 22:18
The vmg300 and hubs use 12v

All other modems are 10v I was mistaken with the vmng300 sorry

pip08456
27-04-2011, 22:18
Depends on the number of hens teeth needed.

Forgot all about that - post reminder!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/95.jpg https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2015/12/3.gif

I just found this little snippet here (http://lilomag.com/2010/11/23/top-10-animal-myths-you-might-ask/).

"Are Hens Teeth Really Rare?

This expression may not be all the rage among the Gen-X, Gen-Y or Gen-2.0 crowd, but there was a time when it was commonly used to describe something very difficult to track down or find. The saying harkens back to long, long ago, as in 150 million years, back when the hen’s ancestor the archaeopteryx was roaming the world. This chicken of the Stone Age came equipped with feathers, claws and a beak full of cone-shaped teeth. Scientists not only recently discovered that hens still have the DNA necessary to grow a set of chompers, but actually successfully put the theory into practice. So there! MYTH VERDICT: FALSE":D:D:D

jb66
27-04-2011, 22:19
Lol lol,

Chrysalis
27-04-2011, 22:23
The vmg300 and hubs use 12v

All other modems are 10v I was mistaken with the vmng300 sorry

good job I was doing something else for rest of day and not ended up putting wrong one in :) but undervolting probably be harmless anyway.

AndyCalling
28-04-2011, 03:17
Funny you should ask that lol.

Have the details off all the chips on the board so if you need any details of a particular chip let me know.

Regards.

Ooo, if I opened up my Superhub and fitted a reverse SMA aerial socket to it, would VM be hacked off? I have a second Superhub still in the box that I can leave unmolested for handing back if asked by VM...

Peter_
28-04-2011, 05:52
Ooo, if I opened up my Superhub and fitted a reverse SMA aerial socket to it, would VM be hacked off? I have a second Superhub still in the box that I can leave unmolested for handing back if asked by VM...
If you cause issues on the network they can disconnect you and seeming as the equipment is not yours I would leave well alone.

---------- Post added at 05:52 ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 ----------

You've lost me there Masque.:p:

What's that got to do with 10V or 12V?:confused:
Oddly enough you are talking about powerpacks and if you read my post carefully I was informing you that some VMNG300 modems do not come with separate powerpacks as the lead is permanently attached.:rolleyes:

jb66
28-04-2011, 07:32
They all detach. The vmng300 your talking about is the second version which actually does detach after the switch on the cord.

V1 has no switch
V2 has a switch on the cord (to comply with eu regulations)
V3 has a proper switch on the back

Peter_
28-04-2011, 08:11
They all detach. The vmng300 your talking about is the second version which actually does detach after the switch on the cord.

V1 has no switch
V2 has a switch on the cord (to comply with eu regulations)
V3 has a proper switch on the back
But you cannot pull the cord out which was quite amusing when they released them as they forgot to tell us about it and we continued to ask the customer to take the power lead out of the back which confused them no end.

Chrysalis
28-04-2011, 13:11
I have the V1 then.

craigj2k12
28-04-2011, 14:13
I have the V1 then.

or a v2, with a uperhub power supply? either way, i think we both have the same

Chrysalis
28-04-2011, 14:27
or a v2, with a uperhub power supply? either way, i think we both have the same

true could be a v2 as it seems the difference from V1 and V2 is only the power supply.

craigj2k12
28-04-2011, 15:00
true could be a v2 as it seems the difference from V1 and V2 is only the power supply.

it would be handy to have a v3 with the button on it, although anything is an improvement from the superhub

Chrysalis
28-04-2011, 17:01
yeah thats a minor annoyance.

sniper007
28-04-2011, 20:29
My power adaptor on mine sqweels as well. i.e. Makes a high pitched noise. Really annoying. Can anything be done about that?
Getting really hacked off with superhub now tbh.

Chrysalis
28-04-2011, 21:20
you can buy yourself a new one, probably one of those multi adaptor ones.

jb66
29-04-2011, 07:01
You can ask for another if you want but its hit or miss, next one might squeal too

craigj2k12
29-04-2011, 11:56
You can ask for another if you want but its hit or miss, next one might squeal too

well surely the squealing is a fault, so if you receive another faulty one, ask for another one

Chrysalis
29-04-2011, 14:02
staff on VM forums confirmed my thoughts that they wont send out PSU's alone. So a superhub itself would be sent out new.

craigj2k12
29-04-2011, 15:30
staff on VM forums confirmed my thoughts that they wont send out PSU's alone. So a superhub itself would be sent out new.

just dont bother activating it, and swap the power supply over, then you will have your squealing problem sorted, and something to smash up :D

jb66
29-04-2011, 16:09
seems such a waste of money

pip08456
29-04-2011, 16:34
Especially for kit that causes less tech problems.

DerekRothwell
29-04-2011, 18:35
http://speed.io/pics/4218/3119/speed.io.png

I'll subscibe to the superhub working as it should. Thumbsup to VM here

darkm
02-05-2011, 01:24
It is bad when it's not Compatible with the equipment at the ubr...

Peter_
02-05-2011, 08:04
Well seeming as they work on either Cisco uBR's or Motorola BSR's without any issues and they are the 2 manufacturer's that we use the is no issue, so a good bit of misinformation.:rolleyes:

jb66
02-05-2011, 09:54

Or the old 30mhz amps in the street

---------- Post added at 09:54 ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 ----------

Well seeming as they work on either Cisco uBR's or Motorola BSR's without any issues and they are the 2 manufacturer's that we use the is no issue, so a good bit of misinformation.:rolleyes:

So the upload speed issue on the motarola has been fixed now?

Peter_
02-05-2011, 10:02
So the upload speed issue on the motarola has been fixed now?
Not had any complaints about upload and remember these are used from Brighton to Glasgow and many places inbetween.

pip08456
02-05-2011, 10:55
Not had any complaints about upload and remember these are used from Brighton to Glasgow and many places inbetween.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33677282-slow-upload-speed.html

to name but one.

Peter_
02-05-2011, 11:14
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33677282-slow-upload-speed.html

to name but one.
As that is a Cisco and not a BSR which jb66 is referring to and I myself am connected to a Cisco on the same regional headend as Wigan.

darkm
02-05-2011, 11:42

Well i still have an issue with my upload speed, sitting at half at what it should be on 30 meg. Had to even raise a complaint on the web as not enough people that I have spoken to over the phone have a clue as to what they are talking about. People even tried to close my complaint and justified it by sending me the Traffice management policy.

Thankfully someone over on the community forum website has raised this and is currently being investigated by Cisco..

There are plenty of posts about the superhub and restricted speeds both here and on the community forum website. perhaps you should take a look and not be so defensive over a product even by virgins own admission is defective and has required firmware updates to resolve mulitple problems which shouldn't have happen..

Peter_
02-05-2011, 12:23
There are plenty of posts about the superhub and restricted speeds both here and on the community forum website. perhaps you should take a look and not be so defensive over a product even by virgins own admission is defective and has required firmware updates to resolve mulitple problems which shouldn't have happen..
Not being defensive as we have very few incoming calls over the hubs and if the was a major issue we would be made aware on our intranet as we have been over the firmware issue.

if the was a big an issue as the few posters on all the forums combined say the are then we would be inundated with calls, but considering the amount of hubs in circulation we get a relatively small amount of calls with regards to these devices.

In fact we get more calls where the are issues with existing standard modems which we either replace or send an engineer.

darkm
02-05-2011, 12:38
Not being defensive as we have very few incoming calls over the hubs and if the was a major issue we would be made aware on our intranet as we have been over the firmware issue.

if the was a big an issue as the few posters on all the forums combined say the are then we would be inundated with calls, but considering the amount of hubs in circulation we get a relatively small amount of calls with regards to these devices.

In fact we get more calls where the are issues with existing standard modems which we either replace or send an engineer.

Well as we dont have the stats about the calls its doesnt matter. The fact remains it is a problem and also through the numerous amount of calls that I have made to vigin not one person knew and could even understand the issue or even attempt to resolve.

Hence the inadequate training and poor communication within virgn media as only a select few know the problems with the superhub and certain ubr, I believe some of the issue was with the cisco 10k kit. But not one person that i have spoken to on the phone knew of the issue but rather tried to blame it on utilization, traffic management or simply its the internet.

So tell me as a paying customer how am I suppose to have faith in this service if the people delivering fail to understand their own products and services.

Even before virgin publically admitted the issues with the superhub the staff on the phone thought the superhub was the best thing since slice bread.

We all know this isnt true, we all know there are problems with the hub... just fix the hub and whatever ubr's that need fix and stop hiding behind the excuse oh most peoples is working, its fine here and there because it isnt fine.

And Masque since so you know what the problem is with users speed being restricted can you please share the information here as to what the problem is, what virgin have done to resolve it, any existing fault references for this. :)

Peter_
02-05-2011, 12:43
Hence the inadequate training and poor communication within virgn media as only a select few know the problems with the superhub and certain ubr, I believe some of the issue was with the cisco 10k kit. But not one person that i have spoken to on the phone knew of the issue but rather tried to blame it on utilization, traffic management or simply its the internet.
I have the Superhub and i am connected to a Cisco 10000 without any issues in almost 3 months since my install.

If the was a major issue we would have to be made aware of it.

darkm
02-05-2011, 12:49
So your not aware of the issue? I suggest you become aware of it... The guys in the community forum site that I have spoken to are saying cisco are currently investigating it..

Dont get me wrong I like the idea of the hub, but it is clearly not working for me and many others...

Stephen
02-05-2011, 12:53
I've had the super hub since November and not had a single issue with my connection or wifi in my house.

darkm
02-05-2011, 13:04
I've had the super hub since November and not had a single issue with my connection or wifi in my house.

Good for you stephen, i have no problem with download speed or wireless, its great..It's just the upload speed.

And again if people like Masque arent aware of the issue, does it mean there is no issue?

And with that point what hope do we have of resolving the issue with people on the phone wh arent aware and try to put it down to traffic management.

Peter_
02-05-2011, 13:55
So your not aware of the issue? I suggest you become aware of it... The guys in the community forum site that I have spoken to are saying cisco are currently investigating it..

Dont get me wrong I like the idea of the hub, but it is clearly not working for me and many others...
We can only be aware if the company posts the issue on our intranet otherwise it is not an official issue.

kalleh
02-05-2011, 14:02
I had the superhub since Jan and all i had was constant up and down erratic upload speed and bad pings had it swapped about 4 times with nothing changing each time i finally have got a VMNG300 from the CEO office which i activated and have never had a problem since. If the superhub hadnt given me so many issues upload speed and extremely poor wireless(when compared with DIR-615) i wouldnt be too bothered. But when i was using the Hub it just caused me problem after problem each firmware update. Obviously i was reporting this to VM Support constantly and having tech's out almost every week with still no interest taken in fixing it.

So for all you people where it works perfectly fantastic your getting the service you pay for but there are so many people out there having issues with the device and not getting a level of service they pay for.

darkm
02-05-2011, 14:03
We can only be aware if the company posts the issue on our intranet otherwise it is not an official issue.

And even when its posted like the troubles with the hub, some staff were still unaware.

And even some technical staff from broadband that i spoke to, i had to explain what firmware was....

And again just because you arent aware doesnt mean there isnt a problem hence the problems that were being posted about the hub before virgin media publically admitted to them.

poor communication....

Helix
02-05-2011, 14:17
They do really need to train all the technical support staff on what Firmware is, it is a complete joke. Out of 7 calls to them only 1 has known what firmware was.

Chrysalis
02-05-2011, 20:01
One thing I noticed recently is that when I was using the superhub and had hardware offload enabled for TCP traffic on my NIC (intel gigabit CT) then page loading times were significantly slower and tcp ramp up was affected. I then by accident turned it back on, basically I moved the network card to another slot which caused windows to rehash the drivers on default settings so offload enabled again and the issue is gone with me now on the VMNG300. All these type of little niggling issues which affect performance and sometimes stability. They add up.

jonop360
02-05-2011, 20:07
to be honest we had our superhub installed mid feb wired connection was great from the get go allways full 50mg dl speeds wireless was poor downstairs only getting about 10 to 15 mg on 2 laptops but seeing as i dont use them i just turned the other cheek.
However for the last 2 to 3 weeks i was constantly rebooting the thing not only loosing wireless but wired aswell at one point i had to reboot 4 times in one day at which point
i rang virgin no stress at all they listened to what i'd done checked everything there end and told me they were sending an engineer on friday just gone.
as soon as he got to the house straight away he said it would be a power issue and it was he also told me that it is a common fault as the slightest power surge will trick the hub into thinking there is a problem,
so either it is a common fault or he was just fobbing me off to get home early.
either way since friday it hasnt put a foot wrong wireless signal still not as i as i would have thought but as long as it stays connected i coulndt care less

looselipsuk
02-05-2011, 21:00
Mine was perfect till this latest firmware update and now keeps disconnecting completely. There is always a critical log file and it can take between 5 - 10 minutes to reconnect and lock on. During this time the Connectivity Status says 'Denied'.
All signal levels are perfect so hoping the next firmware update corrects the mess this latest one has caused me.

darkm
03-05-2011, 13:56

And as far as you are concerned do you feel that there is no issues with either some cisco/motorolo ubr's connecting with the Hub...

And if you dont feel there is no issue then what is the reasoing behind the problems experienced by myself when utilization, hardware/softare have been ruled out of the equation to cause upload speed to be halved.

Not to mention when I change the default mtu setting on the HUB to 950 my upload speed jumps from 1.6 to 2.3 up..But this would cause me issues doing this and the reconmmened vaule is 1500 and I have tested this..

Peter_
03-05-2011, 16:08
And as far as you are concerned do you feel that there is no issues with either some cisco/motorolo ubr's connecting with the Hub...

If we do not see any issues or the company does not inform of us about specific issues then we cannot turn around and say but this guy is having an issue on a forum as we have no idea who you are and nor can we call you so you need to report any issues either on the Community Forum or by calling in.

TJS
03-05-2011, 16:18
roughly 2 weeks later still performing perfectly

http://speedtest.net/result/1279467916.png

Sending files over the network,from 1 mac to another at least, has no issues at all and transfer at around 23 MB/s

(copied a whole iTunes library from 1 computer to another)

darkm
03-05-2011, 16:23
If we do not see any issues or the company does not inform of us about specific issues then we cannot turn around and say but this guy is having an issue on a forum as we have no idea who you are and nor can we call you so you need to report any issues either on the Community Forum or by calling in.

The issue has been reported numerous times both on the community fourms and on the phone. The problem with the people on the phone much like yourself is that you dont see any problem.

People look at screen status page of the ubr and if it says its fine then its not an issue with the ubr.

After that the checks on powerlevels and the router are done, basic speed tests which all reveal upload is limited.

So where does that leave us?

After tech calls to the house issue still remains, numerous router swaps, cables changes, the problem remains.

Futher calls lead to no where because the guy on the other end of the phone says there is no problem or says its the internet o its traffic management or just another excuse. there is no ownership. No real fault finding is done...

And im not the only person to experience this kind of customer service. Half trained advisors that dont understand how download and upload speed work. Dont understand that any issues on the ubr could effect my service being delievered to me. They dont understand what firmware is and the communication from the senior team to the fron line advisors is poor as demostrated by the announcement of the problems with the hub, prior to the announcement as far as the agents were concerned everything was fine dispite the numerous posts on forums like this about problems with the hub.

I'm sorry but any thing you have said again is just passing the buck. There is information to suggest there are compaitability issues with the hub and instead of hindering and saying my hub works great which is good for you, why not try something which some Virgin staff find hard to do and take some form of ownership and assist those that nee help.

Remeber as said before virgin pubically announced the issues with the hub, we all knew and experienced various issues. I have an issue which no doubt somebody somewhere within virgin media are very much aware of but are doing very little to alleviate the problem.

Chrysalis
03-05-2011, 17:08
darkm give up explaining.

The fact that (a) tech support dont understand things like firmware and technical explanations of problems (b) there is no specific procedure to report superhub problems on the phone (c) that tech support will blame local pc equipment or even utilisation before considering the superhub, are all irellevant according to masque and others when looking at fault data.

Nopanic
03-05-2011, 17:32
The issue has been reported numerous times both on the community fourms and on the phone. The problem with the people on the phone much like yourself is that you dont see any problem.

People look at screen status page of the ubr and if it says its fine then its not an issue with the ubr.

After that the checks on powerlevels and the router are done, basic speed tests which all reveal upload is limited.

So where does that leave us?

After tech calls to the house issue still remains, numerous router swaps, cables changes, the problem remains.

Futher calls lead to no where because the guy on the other end of the phone says there is no problem or says its the internet o its traffic management or just another excuse. there is no ownership. No real fault finding is done...

And im not the only person to experience this kind of customer service. Half trained advisors that dont understand how download and upload speed work. Dont understand that any issues on the ubr could effect my service being delievered to me. They dont understand what firmware is and the communication from the senior team to the fron line advisors is poor as demostrated by the announcement of the problems with the hub, prior to the announcement as far as the agents were concerned everything was fine dispite the numerous posts on forums like this about problems with the hub.

I'm sorry but any thing you have said again is just passing the buck. There is information to suggest there are compaitability issues with the hub and instead of hindering and saying my hub works great which is good for you, why not try something which some Virgin staff find hard to do and take some form of ownership and assist those that nee help.

Remeber as said before virgin pubically announced the issues with the hub, we all knew and experienced various issues. I have an issue which no doubt somebody somewhere within virgin media are very much aware of but are doing very little to alleviate the problem.

1st line agents aren't in a position to take ownership of issue's like this and unless someone tells them about it, (which seems to have not been the case, they have no way to know)

The problem comes when they aren't trained well enough (as you say) to understand the issues, thus can not pass them onto someone who can resolve them.

Customer experience is something VM take very seriously and I know for a fact these forums are monitored for these kinds of issues.

I'm not going to apologise as I don't represent virgin media, but there are people in place to make the 1st line customer experience better and to help train 1st line when required.

Peter_
03-05-2011, 18:14
darkm give up explaining.

The fact that (a) tech support dont understand things like firmware and technical explanations of problems (b) there is no specific procedure to report superhub problems on the phone (c) that tech support will blame local pc equipment or even utilisation before considering the superhub, are all irellevant according to masque and others when looking at fault data.
I deal with faults that are recognised as such by Virginmedia and it is not my job to collate any issues while on a call unless we have been specifically asked because we have targets to meet and the are people like Nopanic who have the job of checking for faults and patterns to identify issues with the products we offer.

We also call our 2nd line agents who will advise us to raise an issue up for investigation if required but do not expect us to investigate issues that is not in our remit.

Nopanic
03-05-2011, 18:53
I think its important to understand that this isn't Masque fobbing off, or not caring. He is doing his job and he is very good at it.

We have hundreds of 1st line agents fielding thousands and thousands of calls a day and they are very good at what they do. Of course we will see issue they don't know how to handle and this is were 2nd line come into it.

If 1st line took ownership of issues, we would have a mass of the same faults, in 100 different formats, with no one taking calls ..

Call centres are a fast paced environment, the majority of calls are quick fixes, advice, support or stage. That's not to say everyone does everything right all the time.

craigj2k12
03-05-2011, 19:23
I think its important to understand that this isn't Masque fobbing off, or not caring. He is doing his job and he is very good at it.

We have hundreds of 1st line agents fielding thousands and thousands of calls a day and they are very good at what they do. Of course we will see issue they don't know how to handle and this is were 2nd line come into it.

If 1st line took ownership of issues, we would have a mass of the same faults, in 100 different formats, with no one taking calls ..

Call centres are a fast paced environment, the majority of calls are quick fixes, advice, support or stage. That's not to say everyone does everything right all the time.

its the web design department you want to watch out for :D

darkm
03-05-2011, 19:34
I deal with faults that are recognised as such by Virginmedia and it is not my job to collate any issues while on a call unless we have been specifically asked because we have targets to meet and the are people like Nopanic who have the job of checking for faults and patterns to identify issues with the products we offer.

We also call our 2nd line agents who will advise us to raise an issue up for investigation if required but do not expect us to investigate issues that is not in our remit.

Forgive me if I am wrong or missing the point but is it not the job of a person that works in the fault department to resolve faults and if they cant raise it when necessary. I would have thought this is a basic procedure.

Nopanic
03-05-2011, 19:47
its the web design department you want to watch out for :D

Shut up you, I'm not a web designer you know ..

Forgive me if I am wrong or missing the point but is it not the job of a person that works in the fault department to resolve faults and if they cant raise it when necessary. I would have thought this is a basic procedure.

You're right.

Peter_
03-05-2011, 19:51
We do what we can to resolve the issue and if required it goes to 2nd line and we leave notes on the account, we do not investigate why an issue occurs because we are not paid to do so it is down to other departments otherwise my call with regards a single fault could last hours.

If you want more indepth analysis then you would have to pay a lot more for your broadband and you will find all other ISP's expect the same kind of support to be provided by their first line agents.

Once we have dealt with your issue we are required to take the next call within 90 seconds, our time costs money and our employer does not pay us to run indepth diagnosis as the employ people to do that on a lot more money than we get paid.

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

You're right.
Which we do within the confines of our job but we just raise the issue up or leave notes on the account, remember first line agents do not raise IT issues because they do not have those permissions.

darkm
03-05-2011, 20:05
We do what we can to resolve the issue and if required it goes to 2nd line and we leave notes on the account, we do not investigate why an issue occurs because we are not paid to do so it is down to other departments otherwise my call with regards a single fault could last hours.

If you want more indepth analysis then you would have to pay a lot more for your broadband and you will find all other ISP's expect the same kind of support to be provided by their first line agents.

Once we have dealt with your issue we are required to take the next call within 90 seconds, our time costs money and our employer does not pay us to run indepth diagnosis as the employ people to do that on a lot more money than we get paid.

Which we do within the confines of our job but we just raise the issue up or leave notes on the account, remember first line agents do not raise IT issues because they do not have those permissions.

There is also a key word your missing, and really it is a sad state of affairs that a vast amount of people that I have spoken to like yourself lack any initiative..

I would have also have thought it would be in your companies interest to make aware of any potential problems that you come across which in the long term could result in saving the company money, keeping customers with virgin Media.

You are also paid to resolve issues when you can, the old reboot the pc or check it in a few hours i'm afraid just doesnt cut it anymore in today's society where i'm sure a vast amount of your customers are more technically educated than those supporting virgin media services.

Ownership is key in any business, this prevents customers being passed from pillar to post. I would very much like to see the CRM cycle that Virgin Media practice as im sure from what your telling me it is very different to what the company think there employees are doing.

Virgin Media are not some mickey mouse company but the attitude of some of the staff stinks and no wonder it leads to repeated calls of the same issue.

I'm not asking anyone to stay on call for hours, especially when the simple tasks of checking everything is all done. I'm asking that the agents like yourself do their jobs right and use some common sense. I'm sure i'm not alone in thinking this.

And at the end of the day i'm sure like you and others would have more job satisfaction knowing that you took on board a customers fault, either resolved it, raised the issue and followed up with the customer to ensure they know what is going on and how the company intend on helping..

After all we are the customers and without us m8, your just a government technical drawer (dole)...

Does anyone think this is an unreasonable expectation, our is this not in a customers remit to expect a resolution...

Peter_
03-05-2011, 20:18
There is also a key word your missing, and really it is a sad state of affairs that a vast amount of people that I have spoken to like yourself lack any initiative
Not really we just are not allowed the time as we have targets to meet and if I took a couple of calls a day I would be out on my ear, we are first line agents who have to meet targets and not a personal technical assistance agent which is a service that Digital Home Support supply for a fee.

If the are issues beyond our remit we call 2nd line who may raise the issue for us if they decide the is one to raise, after that it is out of our hands.

Do you really want to pay hundreds of pounds a month for the company to pay for personal support agents, I know the answer to that and so do you, most people will go for the cheaper option.

Nopanic
03-05-2011, 20:20

I'm on your side, agree with you 100%.

There is also a key word your missing, and really it is a sad state of affairs that a vast amount of people that I have spoken to like yourself lack any initiative..

Rubbish, he is actually one of the more proactive 1st liners.

I would have also have thought it would be in your companies interest to make aware of any potential problems that you come across which in the long term could result in saving the company money, keeping customers with virgin Media.

As he said, they post it to an internet site and send out briefs.

You are also paid to resolve issues when you can, the old reboot the pc or check it in a few hours i'm afraid just doesnt cut it anymore in today's society where i'm sure a vast amount of your customers are more technically educated than those supporting virgin media services.

Rebooting the modem and the PC resolves 90% of calls actually. Most of the customers are not technically minded, we do have some very technical customers however and I would hope the agents tailor their responses to match the customer.

Ownership is key in any business, this prevents customers being passed from pillar to post. I would very much like to see the CRM cycle that Virgin Media practice as im sure from what your telling me it is very different to what the company think there employees are doing.

Not at all, 1st line are not able to take ownership, 2nd line are there for that very reason.

Virgin Media are not some mickey mouse company but the attitude of some of the staff stinks and no wonder it leads to repeated calls of the same issue.

If you are unhappy with a member of staff make a complaint, coming on here and arguing does nothing as we don't know who you spoke to.

I'm not asking anyone to stay on call for hours, especially when the simple tasks of checking everything is all done. I'm asking that the agents like yourself do their jobs right and use some common sense. I'm sure i'm not alone in thinking this.

Most of our agents do their job right, that's why VM has such a high score with Ofcom.

And at the end of the day i'm sure like you and others would have more job satisfaction knowing that you took on board a customers fault, either resolved it, raised the issue and followed up with the customer to ensure they know what is going on and how the company intend on helping..

Makes no difference what they want to do, they have rules and they have processes, as do everyone else. They need to give the best they can within their support scope and if they can not fix it, make sure it goes to the right people.

After all we are the customers and without us m8, your just a government technical drawer (dole)...

And without us you'd be talking to yourself in a room :)

Does anyone think this is an unreasonable expectation, our is this not in a customers remit to expect a resolution...

You're mixing up what you want here ..

VM are required to give you a resolution, but 1st line are not always the ones able to do this. I don't think you're taking on board what is being said here. Agents like Masque don't fob off customers, but they can't be expected to know everything and fix everything, thats why we have other departments. If you have an issue (personally) then call up and make it known. VM want customer feedback.

darkm
03-05-2011, 20:41
Not mixing up anything. I'm asking first line agents to do their jobs right and to know their products and services they support.

It is clear from agents I have spoken too and im sure others can verify that they havent a clue about the basics. How a pc works? How a modem works? what firmware is? How upload and download speed works? How a network works?

Simple things i'm sure you agree but if you cant understand the simple basics then how can you begin to troubleshoot any issue?

Rebooting a pc more often than not resolves a lot of issues but when agent quite clearly fill you with every lie under the sun and I have heard alot of rubbish then what recoures of action do us customers have?

The complaints department are almost as useless as they have no understanding of faults. They are there from a customer services aspect. Believe me I have raised a complaint and spoke to them and still you get no where. Even had a nice lady send me the traffic management policy by email as to why I wasnt getting my upload speed.

The only thing she didnt understand was how a modem configuration file worked and if it was true about me being traffic managed my upload speed wouldn't be 1.6 meg upload but 1 meg. Not to mention the fact of changing the MTU value.

Again it comes down to common sense something that some people are obviously lacking.

And for talk sake and take it at its face value as I have been told that there is nothing more that the faults department can do a refuse to take the call?
What sort of customer experience is that?

I'm not looking to argue with anyone but many people do agree and I have made my points to the complaints team about the lack of ownership, lack of training/knowledge to staff known.

The fact still remains and you are forgetting that there are issues with the superhub that no one can deny, stated by Virgin Media. Everyone has their own issues some resolved by firmware updates some not. But they are valid issues and need to be taken on board, raised and followed up by Virgin Media.

I have been told my issue is being investigated by Cisco currently? How true that is I dont know but we live in hope that somebody in Virgin are doing something about the hub as currently stands it is a bad as people say regardless if your hub is working fine.

Nopanic
03-05-2011, 20:43
Not mixing up anything. I'm asking first line agents to do their jobs right and to know their products and services they support.

It is clear from agents I have spoken too and im sure others can verify that they havent a clue about the basics. How a pc works? How a modem works? what firmware is? How upload and download speed works? How a network works?

Simple things i'm sure you agree but if you cant understand the simple basics then how can you begin to troubleshoot any issue?

Rebooting a pc more often than not resolves a lot of issues but when agent quite clearly fill you with every lie under the sun and I have heard alot of rubbish then what recoures of action do us customers have?

The complaints department are almost as useless as they have no understanding of faults. They are there from a customer services aspect. Believe me I have raised a complaint and spoke to them and still you get no where. Even had a nice lady send me the traffic management policy by email as to why I wasnt getting my upload speed.

The only thing she didnt understand was how a modem configuration file worked and if it was true about me being traffic managed my upload speed wouldn't be 1.6 meg upload but 1 meg. Not to mention the fact of changing the MTU value.

Again it comes down to common sense something that some people are obviously lacking.

And for talk sake and take it at its face value as I have been told that there is nothing more that the faults department can do a refuse to take the call?
What sort of customer experience is that?

I'm not looking to argue with anyone but many people do agree and I have made my points to the complaints team about the lack of ownership, lack of training/knowledge to staff known.

The fact still remains and you are forgetting that there are issues with the superhub that no one can deny, stated by Virgin Media. Everyone has their own issues some resolved by firmware updates some not. But they are valid issues and need to be taken on board, raised and followed up by Virgin Media.

I have been told my issue is being investigated by Cisco currently? How true that is I dont know but we live in hope that somebody in Virgin are doing something about the hub as currently stands it is a bad as people say regardless if your hub is working fine.

Has anyone given you a reference number?

Chrysalis
03-05-2011, 20:51
masque reply is interesting.

VM tech support is time constrained, this isnt unusual as most broadband companies operate like this now days. However VM are now supplying their own kit to customers. Companies like netgear, thompson, dlink, cisco etc as a result have to dedicate lots of time to support issues as the nature of hardware bugs is that it takes a little bit more than just to reboot the device. I have said a few times that VM are in over their head with the superhub and the replies concerning tech support somewhat prove that. I can understand the merit of dishing out a router/modem all in one device but they should have just signed a contract for a 3rd party device and sent that out instead of having one custom designed with crippled unique firmware. Because the tech support policy conflicts with what they providing.

darkm
No reference number I made a post in the community forum site graham reponded and checked again all the basic's and then looked into a bit further and has said cisco are looking at this. I would assume there is some sort of internal reference at least but im unware of it.

Dont get me wrong up until my issue I have been happy with virgin, never had a reason to call, download speed has been bang on the money. Then upgrade from 20 meg to 30 meg and thought great, saving some money, I can get rid of a router and have one piece of kit but so far download speed is great but upload speed is halved.

It is just a s frustrating for me as im sure it is for some of your guys to have repeated calls and im sure when issues are raised by you's it gets more annoying when you see these calls come back.

However hopefully something can be done..

Ignitionnet
There seems to be a bit of a need for expectations management.

The guys answering the phone are not DOCSIS gurus, they are trained to manage the most common issues not to know about firmware, MTU changes, etc.

90%+ of issues are with customer's PC or configuration at some point, so this is where the training is focussed.

Expectation management is important, these guys may or may not be aware of issues and you would hope that they are, the issue that is unacceptable by any stretch is where problems aren't being escalated in a timely fashion but agents are more worried about their call handling stats.

If you want MCSEs / CCIPs answering calls probably best to go to an ISP that charges a tad more.

That said VM should ensure that their staff are aware of hot issues and the staff should all familiarise themselves with hot issues so that they can escalate calls promptly and appropriately.

Chrysalis
03-05-2011, 20:55

The guys answering the phone are not DOCSIS gurus, they are trained to manage the most common issues not to know about firmware, MTU changes, etc.

90%+ of issues are with customer's PC or configuration at some point, so this is where the training is focussed.

Expectation management is important, these guys may or may not be aware of issues and you would hope that they are, the issue that is unacceptable by any stretch is where problems aren't being escalated in a timely fashion but agents are more worried about their call handling stats.

If you want MCSEs / CCIPs answering calls probably best to go to an ISP that charges a tad more.

That said VM should ensure that their staff are aware of hot issues and the staff should all familiarise themselves with hot issues so that they can escalate calls promptly and appropriately.

Not a big issue when could use your own router tho, now cannot its become a relevant issue. If VM are not willing/able to train staff and adjust process to allow longer calls to cater for bug reports they should at the very least add a online form of some sort for fault reporting that goes direct to a team dedicated to the superhub itself. I said this same thing weeks back and was told by someone (cant remember who) that its not needed because basic tech support can handle it, but now we have masque and nopanic saying tech support cannot handle it.

Also that 90% figure is it reliable?

example.

My ubr has a burst of high utilisation, I ring up to complain.

india tech support tell me to reboot everything. Whilst rebooting the utilisation goes down on the UBR, after reboot everything seems better, fault logged as pc fault.

darkm
03-05-2011, 20:56

Im sure the guy's in the fault team should know the setting's in the hub and their correct settings. That is the product they are supporting. Im sure they have a script of things to check and each of the settings on the hub should be there. When everything is checked and fault still persists then i'm sure they seek some support with their second line team.

Peter_
03-05-2011, 20:57
Not a big issue when could use your own router tho, now cannot its become a relevant issue. If VM are not willing/able to train staff and adjust process to allow longer calls to cater for bug reports they should at the very least add a online form of some sort for fault reporting that goes direct to a team dedicated to the superhub itself. I said this same thing weeks back and was told by someone (cant remember who) that its not needed because basic tech support can handle it, but now we have masque and nopanic saying tech support cannot handle it.
We do not get the time to investigate issues and nor do we have the relevant tools to go much further, if we find an issue we call 2nd line and it is up to them what happens next as that is as far as we can take your issue.

Chrysalis
03-05-2011, 21:00
We do not get the time to investigate issues and nor do we have the relevant tools to go much further, if we find an issue we call 2nd line and it is up to them what happens next as that is as far as we can take your issue.

I know and I am not putting any blame on to you or your direct colleagues, you can only do what you have been trained to do and with the tools you have, my issue is with the management of VM who decide these policies.

hjf288
03-05-2011, 22:11

So why cant they hit full upload on Cisco UBRs? And why did a engineer and support acknowledge its a known issue?

Peter_
03-05-2011, 22:14
So why cant they hit full upload on Cisco UBRs? And why did a engineer and support acknowledge its a known issue?
You have read that I am on 30Mb and connected to a Cisco 10000 and get my full upload as per below.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/146.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Nopanic
03-05-2011, 22:18
No reference number I made a post in the community forum site graham reponded and checked again all the basic's and then looked into a bit further and has said cisco are looking at this. I would assume there is some sort of internal reference at least but im unware of it.

Dont get me wrong up until my issue I have been happy with virgin, never had a reason to call, download speed has been bang on the money. Then upgrade from 20 meg to 30 meg and thought great, saving some money, I can get rid of a router and have one piece of kit but so far download speed is great but upload speed is halved.

It is just a s frustrating for me as im sure it is for some of your guys to have repeated calls and im sure when issues are raised by you's it gets more annoying when you see these calls come back.

However hopefully something can be done..

Sure I said that already :erm:

darkm
03-05-2011, 23:06
You have read that I am on 30Mb and connected to a Cisco 10000 and get my full upload as per below.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/146.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Wouldnt it be nice to find out what the issue is?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/147.png

mtu change

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/148.png

Ignitionnet
03-05-2011, 23:07
Sure I said that already :erm:

Remember you're VM staff therefore your opinions are suspect at best and at worst fanboyism, always.

I'm former ntl staff and it was long enough ago that I'm fully rehabilitated ;)

pip08456
03-05-2011, 23:10

Not just issues with some Cisco kit but some Motorola as well. Could well be a UBR/BSR configuration problem but it does exist.

hjf288
04-05-2011, 00:15

Yeah and I was on 50Mbit confirmed by Engineer/Tech support to be on a Cisco UBR with the Superhub, all other factors fine - and unable to hit over 2.5Mbit/sec upload whether Speedtest or FTP.

As soon as I got a VMNG300, I got my max upload speeds.

But I guess theres no problem with the Superhub? :p

Peter_
04-05-2011, 05:33
Yeah and I was on 50Mbit confirmed by Engineer/Tech support to be on a Cisco UBR with the Superhub, all other factors fine - and unable to hit over 2.5Mbit/sec upload whether Speedtest or FTP.

As soon as I got a VMNG300, I got my max upload speeds.

But I guess theres no problem with the Superhub? :p
Had mine 3 months without any issues and I am not the only one as the are hundreds of thousands out there with no issues.

TJS
04-05-2011, 10:27
I think im on a cisco UBR because my area is ex-ntl

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/144.png

Id say thats close on 5 mb/s

---------- Post added at 10:27 ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 ----------

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 298750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK
Security Enabled BPI+
Downstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power SNR Docsis/EuroDocsis locked
Locked QAM256 104 55616000 Kbits/sec 298750000 Hz 6.1 dBmV 33.8 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 105 55616000 Kbits/sec 306750000 Hz 6.1 dBmV 33.7 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 106 55616000 Kbits/sec 314750000 Hz 6.4 dBmV 33.7 dB Hybrid
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknown
Upstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power
Locked ATDMA 3 20480 Kbits/sec 45800000 Hz 40.2 dBmV
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV

Peter_
04-05-2011, 11:02
I think im on a cisco UBR because my area is ex-ntl

All regions use both Cisco and Motorola uBR's

darkm
04-05-2011, 11:03
Had mine 3 months without any issues and I am not the only one as the are hundreds of thousands out there with no issues.

Like wise there are many people having issues with the hub, which Virgin know about.

So glad you have no issues but it doesnt really help the matter..

Peter_
04-05-2011, 11:16
Like wise there are many people having issues with the hub, which Virgin know about.

So glad you have no issues but it doesnt really help the matter..
The majority have no issues which what I keep telling you though.

darkm
04-05-2011, 11:27
It doesnt matter if a majority or whatever the real figure maybe that have no issues. That is fine. The real heart of the matter is there are issues with the Hub.

Now you can say what you like but the company that you work for have even admitted to alot of the isssues customers are having.

So we keep telling you there are issues, they may not affect you but currently from your posts tend to ignore them.

And if a majority is working then you have more time to fault diagnose on the phones, you cant be overworked as the "majority works" the superhub is great.

craigj2k12
04-05-2011, 11:39
It doesnt matter if a majority or whatever the real figure maybe that have no issues. That is fine. The real heart of the matter is there are issues with the Hub.

Now you can say what you like but the company that you work for have even admitted to alot of the isssues customers are having.

So we keep telling you there are issues, they may not affect you but currently from your posts tend to ignore them.

And if a majority is working then you have more time to fault diagnose on the phones, you cant be overworked as the "majority works" the superhub is great.

as i have said, none of the issues affect average joe who reads his emails twice a day, the problem comes when you are trying to advanced LAN side, or transferring a large amount of data

darkm
04-05-2011, 11:46
as i have said, none of the issues affect average joe who reads his emails twice a day, the problem comes when you are trying to advanced LAN side, or transferring a large amount of data

it doesnt matter what the user is doing, I could be uploading photos to a vrigin server but would like that to go quicker..

Your missing the point a fault is a fault, end of...Average joe doesnt need 50meg broad band or even 100 meg..But they are supplied. Upload speed is part of the service, one of the reasons why I went to 30meg, better upload speed for gaming, streaming etc etc

And if you were paying for 100 meg bb, would you be happy to have 50 meg down and barley 5 meg up... i think not.