PDA

View Full Version : Car phone charging - Help.

blotchyprune
20-04-2011, 21:17
Hi,

First off i'm sorry if this is in the wrong section but only thing that has motoring on the list, this might even be better off on another site so if anyone can even help suggest that at the least then that will be appreciated.

What i'm wanting to know is if i strip a Apple USB cable down it leaves me 4 colours Pink, Black,White and Green...now can i connect any of these to any wires in my car to make it charge my iphone/ipod ?

I tried a couple of ways but the only thing i got was...

Pink and Black to ciggarette lighter + & - which made my ipod light up but not charge, and made my iphone reboot.

This is all about the cradle i have, the layout i want and the connection to my stereo so me just buying a simple iphone charger for £2 from ebay is not what im trying to achive, plus i'd like to win this challenge :P

Thanks for any opinions.

Hom3r
20-04-2011, 21:32
pinouts hear

http://www.pc-control.co.uk/usb%20pinout.htm

Stuart
20-04-2011, 22:11
It's more than just the correct pinout. You need the correct resistance on each wire..

http://www.tzywen.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=683

haydnwalker
20-04-2011, 22:15
would it not be easier to buy an iphone car charger??

blotchyprune
20-04-2011, 22:34
It's more than just the correct pinout. You need the correct resistance on each wire..

http://www.tzywen.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=683

Mate that was great help....thanks.

i'm thinking if i get one of them car chargers with the usb connection then i can take it apart and run the directly to the wires that power the ciggarette lighter so it would be like it was constantly pluged in (kinda hard wired), then just run the usb cable as normall, in theroy :P

It might be easier but not as neat or tidy, we shouldnt just have to make do if were prepared to work for what we want !!

Hom3r
20-04-2011, 22:51
I have one of these

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_70 0275_langId_-1_categoryId_165489

The Halfords Cup Holder Multi Socket has 2x 12v sockets and 2x USB charging ports and is shaped to fit into a standard cup holder. The socket also has an LED display that clearly shows your car's battery condition while in use.

blotchyprune
20-04-2011, 23:00
I have one of these

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_70 0275_langId_-1_categoryId_165489

The Halfords Cup Holder Multi Socket has 2x 12v sockets and 2x USB charging ports and is shaped to fit into a standard cup holder. The socket also has an LED display that clearly shows your car's battery condition while in use.

I did think about something like that just dont think i would as happy with the end result.

I have found this, http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-247451.html

looks like they've had the same idea, hopefully i can do this with ease over the weekend (or tomorrow at work :P), i'll post a pic when it's done

haydnwalker
21-04-2011, 09:22
i'm thinking if i get one of them car chargers with the usb connection then i can take it apart and run the directly to the wires that power the ciggarette lighter so it would be like it was constantly pluged in (kinda hard wired)

To do this, you NEED to make sure when you take the key out of the ignition, that the power to the Cigarette lighter goes off as well, otherwise you might find your battery dies overnight.

My Audi carries on powering the lighter socket if something is plugged in (which I guess would be the same if it's hardwired into the mains of the car...)

LSainsbury
21-04-2011, 12:06
I have one of these

I do exactly that with one of those - you do end up with USB cables all over the place though.

AbyssUnderground
21-04-2011, 12:14
To do this, you NEED to make sure when you take the key out of the ignition, that the power to the Cigarette lighter goes off as well, otherwise you might find your battery dies overnight.

My Audi carries on powering the lighter socket if something is plugged in (which I guess would be the same if it's hardwired into the mains of the car...)

Phone chargers won't kill it overnight, not by far, but something else like a laptop or air freshener certainly will.

Also don't wire up a USB lead directly!!! A car is 12v, USB is 5v. It will fry whatever you plug it into!

blotchyprune
22-04-2011, 12:09

i did think that, or maybe not kill it overnight but still i dont like the thought of something being on all the time

Phone chargers won't kill it overnight, not by far, but something else like a laptop or air freshener certainly will.

Also don't wire up a USB lead directly!!! A car is 12v, USB is 5v. It will fry whatever you plug it into!

what i have decided is another cigg lighter socket behind the dash which is wired into ignition, got it all sorted so im gunna do that today

Kymmy
22-04-2011, 12:15

Not exactly true, it very much depends if the device has built in regulation or not.

Can I suggest that you get a USB in car adaptor and perhaps open it up and wire it directly onto a 12v source (either permenant or ignition switched depending on your requirements) That way you can have a built in USB port that isn't taking up your accessory socket.

blotchyprune
22-04-2011, 17:23
ok so far....extra cigg lighter wired in to permenant live, in that goes a usb adapter then the ipod/iphone cable...all hidden looks great, now the only thing is if i remove my charging phone then put it back on it doesnt charge not untill i disconnect then re-connect the power ?

it's almost as if there needs to be some kind of pulse or surge (think thats the word) to kick start the charge, this is not the case however from my mains (in house).

now i can fit a switch no prob but does anyone have any thoughs on this, am i missing something ?

Kymmy
22-04-2011, 18:21
Sorry but that's a new one on me.. the 5v should be stable and shouldn't lock up on itself

blotchyprune
22-04-2011, 18:56
yh i wasnt expecting it either, it's no biggie though i think i will be happier with a switch aswell, just for peace of mind.

it'll be nice on the battery, probably less chance of it chatching on fire aswell lol

Kymmy
22-04-2011, 18:57
Just wire it into the ignition circuit

blotchyprune
22-04-2011, 19:08
well i like the thought of being able to leave power to it with out the keys just incase i need to charge something when i'm not there.

i'm gunna think about it, way up the pro's and con's. but in any case which ever i do atleast it's done, it's working, i'm happy.

Kymmy
22-04-2011, 19:26
Put in a single pole double throw switch then and wire it upto the ignition and battery. At least then you can leave it on ignition and only switch it across to battery in emergencies

Lord Nikon
23-04-2011, 01:30
Cheap 12V to USB Charger, I bet it only puts out 500mA, change it for an iphone rated one (Doesn't have to be original but should be for the iphone) which outputs 1A, will solve the problem.

blotchyprune
23-04-2011, 18:24
Cheap 12V to USB Charger, I bet it only puts out 500mA, change it for an iphone rated one (Doesn't have to be original but should be for the iphone) which outputs 1A, will solve the problem.

almost, the usb adapter is 1A but knackerd, i got another one from a mate and that worked fine, so i have bought another, this one is 2A so might come in handy for other things