PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Getting a Superhub

BenJSmyth
17-04-2011, 19:57
I have posted this on the VM Community Forum but thought someone might be able to shed some light on things for me on here:

I know there are a lot of people complaining about the Superhub, however I am trying to set up a wired network inside my house as we have so many networked devices and I want to connect them all into a switch and then into the modem/router. Currently I have the 50mb modem with the D-Link 615router on the VIP50 service.

To reduce the number of network devices needed to do what I want, is there a method by which I can get a Superhub and if so what sort of costs would I be looking at, if any?

Thank you!

craigj2k12
17-04-2011, 20:01
you dont want a superhub!!!

stay as far away as possible!

pip08456
17-04-2011, 20:59
Stick with your modem set-up. You don't want a plooperhub!

jb66
17-04-2011, 21:00
Haha April fools.... No wait, your serious?

BenJSmyth
17-04-2011, 21:10
The only reason I want the Superhub is to get the modem and router in one unit. We have so many devices around the house now (especially under the TV) that I was thinking of getting a switch and connecting everything to it by a wire, then the switch to the Superhub by a wire. I was trying to get around the need for connecting a switch into a router which then connects into the 50mb modem.

I understand there are issues at present with the superhub, although would I be correct in thinking that these are mostly wireless problems?

Skie
17-04-2011, 21:11
Get a proper switch or router, you seriously do not want a superhub if you are dealing with a lot of devices and a complicated network. The options it gives you are limited.

darren45
17-04-2011, 21:14
dont even think about geting 1 u have the same amount of ports
on your current hub
http://https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/04/73.jpg[/IMG]
above pic of super hub

BenJSmyth
17-04-2011, 21:15
Would you recommend sticking with the current 50mb modem and perhaps replacing the D Link with a better wireless router (one with gigabit ports for a start) and run switches through that and then into the modem?

I was looking at a netgear one in Currys earlier, the NETGEAR® RangeMax™ Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router WNDR3700. Are these any good do you know?

Skie
17-04-2011, 21:23
Those aren't bad. But for £20-£40 cheaper you could get an Asus RT-N16 which foregoes the dual band but is a damned solid router (and you can install custom firmware on it if you want to get really clever).

pip08456
17-04-2011, 21:35
Anyone with any sense would recommend you stick with the VMNG300 modem for as long as possible. It's a rock solid piece of kit far superior to the plooperhub!

darren45
17-04-2011, 21:39
i dont see any point in buying or changing your hub /d link, the only problems i see ,some of your wireless connected gear may get slow if u out of range, connect your most used
pcs in the ports your speeds wired or wireless wont be lost if your in range

ZrByte
17-04-2011, 21:44
With a little extra configuration the superhub is fine. Its better over wired but still perfectly fine over wireless. So much so I've had no issues with wireless either.
Had mine for 2 months and the last time I had to reboot was over 4 weeks ago. And im a heavy torrent user.
Issues seem to mainly arise when you want to use the router in modem only mode which is due to be sorted soon if it hasn't been already. Also some problems with niche features such as WOL being blocked.

darren45
17-04-2011, 21:53
Would you recommend sticking with the current 50mb modem and perhaps replacing the D Link with a better wireless router (one with gigabit ports for a start) and run switches through that and then into the modem?

I was looking at a netgear one in Currys earlier, the NETGEAR® RangeMax™ Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router WNDR3700. Are these any good do you know?
same 4 ports
http://https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/04/72.jpg[/IMG]

BenJSmyth
17-04-2011, 23:46
It isn't necessarily the port number I am interested in, more the speed of them. The D Link's are only 100mbps.

Chrysalis
18-04-2011, 08:27
to be honest in terms of space the superhub wont be saving much if any.

1 - it is huge.
2 - it has poor design so the cables go in at an angle making it harder to put in tight places. Both the vmng300 and dlink 615 are flat devices, the superhub is tall.
3 - it has high power consumption so probably wont use less than 2 the 2 devices you have now and possibly even more then both combined.

The problems known about which may or may not affect you on the superhub are.

1 - poor wireless performance. This can be bad enough in that you actually get disconnections.
2 - downloads/streams cutting out, started since latest firmware rollout.
3 - xbox live issues.
4 - activation issues, you may be offline for a day when you try to activate it.
5 - port forwarding issues.
6 - external ping issues.
7 - general lack of features, no ddns, wol etc.

Peter_
18-04-2011, 08:37
4 - activation issues, you may be offline for a day when you try to activate it.

On average it takes 15 minutes to lock onto the correct CMTS.

Skie
18-04-2011, 15:58
The VMNG300 isnt flat :p

Probably its only failing.

Chrysalis
18-04-2011, 22:48
yeah its curved but its not upright tho and the cable goes in the thin back part not in an unusual position like the superhub.

craigj2k12
19-04-2011, 16:32
the design of the superhub doesnt bother me, it could probably to with some antennae to help with its wireless failing, and it could do with a box to come in so it doesnt get delivered scratched to bits like mine!