PDA

View Full Version : Piped music on the Underground

Stuart
17-04-2011, 17:01
In Brussels, ever since the Brussels metro started, they've played piped music into the stations.. They play a combination of pop, rock and other chart music during the day, and switch to classical at 9pm. Apparently it relaxes the passengers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13080120

What do you think? Would you like to see music introduced on public transport here (after all, even buses have PAs now, as do all stations)? Would you find it relaxing, or would you find it annoying?

After all, if you want to listen to music, it's not as if it's hard to get hold of an MP3 player and bring your own music.

TheDaddy
17-04-2011, 17:35
I'd rather have cool, fresh air piped in...

Halcyon
17-04-2011, 18:03
I dont want music. Especially if I had a headache. It's the last thing I'd want.

Gary L
17-04-2011, 18:13
I'd vote Don't know or care, if the option was there.

Ben B
17-04-2011, 18:16
No, as I would prefer to listen to my iPod if I wanted to listen to music

martyh
17-04-2011, 18:16
In Brussels, ever since the Brussels metro started, they've played piped music into the stations.. They play a combination of pop, rock and other chart music during the day, and switch to classical at 9pm. Apparently it relaxes the passengers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13080120

What do you think? Would you like to see music introduced on public transport here (after all, even buses have PAs now, as do all stations)? Would you find it relaxing, or would you find it annoying?

After all, if you want to listen to music, it's not as if it's hard to get hold of an MP3 player and bring your own music.

annoying ,if i remember rightly newcastles underground wanted to have it a few years ago but they had a passenger poll and it was rejected

Hom3r
17-04-2011, 18:22
As long is as its not by Jedward, x-factor/BGT garbage I not bothered by lift music

---------- Post added at 18:22 ---------- Previous post was at 18:20 ----------

They should play this track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE1ct5yEuVY

:D

It's The Jam - Going Underground

Stuart
17-04-2011, 19:25
I voted no. If I want music on any public transport, thanks to the mp3 player on my phone, I have it. If I don't want music, I don't want it forced on me.

nashville
17-04-2011, 20:12
I would really vote no music. Everybody has different kinds of music that they enjoy. I would hate to have to listen to something that I did not like.

Welshchris
17-04-2011, 20:21
They could play this when people are coming home from work around 5pm....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb63PdPweDc

Mal
17-04-2011, 20:25
I would really vote no music. Everybody has different kinds of music that they enjoy. I would hate to have to listen to something that I did not like.That's how I feel about it to.

danielf
17-04-2011, 21:34
Who are the two idiots that voted yes? :confused:

Fess up... :upyours:

Welshchris
17-04-2011, 22:13
If they really wanna spend some money what they really need on the underground is air conditioning.

When i was last in London in May 2008 it was really hot and when u went into the underground it was like an Oven. The air hardly circulates, i bet there are 100 year old farts still lingering around down there!!

Osem
17-04-2011, 22:16
I'd rather have cool, fresh air piped in...

Me too - and all the third party BO piped out.... :D

Stuart
17-04-2011, 22:16
One thing I need to make clear. As fair as I am aware, there are no plans to introduce music to any UK public transport. I'd just read that they do it on the Brussels underground and wished to get an idea of how it would be recieved here.

Osem
17-04-2011, 22:20
Well if it'd be Euro muzak then I'd rather have the status quo (as opposed to Status Quo)....

Stuart
17-04-2011, 22:24
If they really wanna spend some money what they really need on the underground is air conditioning.

When i was last in London in May 2008 it was really hot and when u went into the underground it was like an Oven. The air hardly circulates, i bet there are 100 year old farts still lingering around down there!!

That is something that's apparently being worked on, but there is one major obstacle to overcome. Simply that the machinery required on each train to move and cool a sufficient amount of air to keep people cool makes the train too big for most of the tunnels on the Underground..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_cooling

Osem
17-04-2011, 22:37
.........I bet there are 100 year old farts still lingering around down there!!

No, no, no, ECB members don't use the tube you know...... :D

Welshchris
17-04-2011, 22:37
Stuart imagine what its going to be like come 2012. The Underground is busy now and if its hot it stinks of BO and farts etc.

I hope the new stations that are being built have wider platforms as i remeber reading on some of the older stations the platforms are so narrow it was becoming a hazard.

I have to say tho i know people say bad things about London but if i had money i would move there tomorrow and the reasons are simple. Im 29 years old and disabled and living in Swansea its a pain in the rear to get around, trains are all over the place buses are awful to ride on and jolt my back, the Underground would be great. Also seeing that London is busy and a lot of businesses stay open late would be good for me as during the daytime im either at hospital, undergoing treatment or asleep from pain meds so i would have more time to do what i need.

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:37 ----------

No, no, no, ECB members don't use the tube you know...... :D

:D

Stuart
17-04-2011, 22:47
Stuart imagine what its going to be like come 2012. The Underground is busy now and if its hot it stinks of BO and farts etc.

I hope the new stations that are being built have wider platforms as i remeber reading on some of the older stations the platforms are so narrow it was becoming a hazard.

I have to say tho i know people say bad things about London but if i had money i would move there tomorrow and the reasons are simple. Im 29 years old and disabled and living in Swansea its a pain in the rear to get around, trains are all over the place buses are awful to ride on and jolt my back, the Underground would be great. Also seeing that London is busy and a lot of businesses stay open late would be good for me as during the daytime im either at hospital, undergoing treatment or asleep from pain meds so i would have more time to do what i need.

Oh, I am well aware of why they need the air con. I also used to commute on the underground, and have traveled on it many times during both morning and evening rush hours. I know how hot it gets. Thankfully I use the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) now, and while that does go underground, it doesn't do so for long, and (on my journey at least), doesn't go that deep underground.

I was merely pointing out the practical problems of introducing air conditioning to the Underground. I wasn't suggesting it didn't need it.

And where they are refitting old stations, or building new ones, they are building wider platforms.

Osem
17-04-2011, 22:49
And where they are refitting old stations, or building new ones, they are building wider platforms.

Isn't that just to accommodate the UK's growing obesity and rucksack carrying epidemic? :D

danielf
17-04-2011, 22:53
That is something that's apparently being worked on, but there is one major obstacle to overcome. Simply that the machinery required on each train to move and cool a sufficient amount of air to keep people cool makes the train too big for most of the tunnels on the Underground..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_cooling

I would imagine that a lot of problems with the Tube arise from the fact that it was the first underground railway system built. Modern underground systems are a delight to use compared to London. I remember the MTR in Hong Kong. It's actually nice to go in there (not just the trains, the stations themselves) as it's nice and cool compared to outside. Not so with the Tube, but I would imagine these problems were hard to foresee by the Victorians that planned the Tube.

Stuart
17-04-2011, 23:05
I would imagine that a lot of problems with the Tube arise from the fact that it was the first underground railway system built. Modern underground systems are a delight to use compared to London. I remember the MTR in Hong Kong. It's actually nice to go in there (not just the trains, the stations themselves) as it's nice and cool compared to outside. Not so with the Tube, but I would imagine these problems were hard to foresee by the Victorians that planned the Tube.

That's the problem in a nutshell.

Welshchris
17-04-2011, 23:46
Oh, I am well aware of why they need the air con. I also used to commute on the underground, and have traveled on it many times during both morning and evening rush hours. I know how hot it gets. Thankfully I use the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) now, and while that does go underground, it doesn't do so for long, and (on my journey at least), doesn't go that deep underground.

I was merely pointing out the practical problems of introducing air conditioning to the Underground. I wasn't suggesting it didn't need it.

i do hope they keep the charactor of the stations though i really like the designs.