PDA

View Full Version : Camera and Tesco

Central
17-04-2011, 15:31
Not to sure what rights I have so thought I would ask here before I contact Tesco again.

I bought a Samsung PL80 Digital Camera in October 2010 from a Tesco store and all has been ok.

I come to use it over the weekend and there is part of the LCD screen that's not working. I can only describe it like a ink blotch. I took it back to Tesco's today in the original box and with the receipt. When I got there I got told I could not return it even if its faulty as the USB cable was not there and nor was the instructions. (I had lost the instructions) the woman was right stuck up and when I questioned her on this she turned around to a colleague and said "When a faulty item comes back does it have to be as was sold" her colleague then said yes it does. I am 100% this is not right as I work in retail and if a product comes back faulty but not with all parts we still take it back.

Anyway I got told to call a 0845 number which i did and got through to someone who said tough basically and its accidental damage as i must of put pressure on it. I know for a fact I did not and told him this he then said if someone has an iPhone and if they push to hard on the screen it would crack the LCD.

Do I have any rights to get my camera sorted or is it not worth my time and effort?

Thanks for any help

Zing
17-04-2011, 15:38
Just quote sales of goods act and ask to see the manager. Goods must be of reasonable quality and last a reasonable amount of time they are talking out their bottom. Was it over £100? if so inform them you are prepared to take the company to court and demand their names as you will be contacting head office

I called trading standards about something like this and it does not even be in original packaging

Peter_
17-04-2011, 15:38
Take it to another store the largest one in your area and do not mention going to the other store.

Do as zing says as well.

Tesco Stores
Telephone 0800 505555, 9am to 6pm Monday to Saturday or email at customer.services@tesco.co.uk

If you email us, please try to include as much detail as you can regarding your enquiry so that we can help you as effectively as possible. Here are some examples of information to include (where applicable):
- your order number
- your phone number(s)
- your post-code
- specific product name and price (if you are dissatisfied with a particular product, for example)
- dates/times

Electricals
Telephone 0870 6076060 8am-11pm (7 days a week), or email us at electricals@tescohs.co.uk

Here is the CEO's email address as well.
The e-mail address you require is
philip.clarke@uk.tesco.com

Chris
17-04-2011, 15:48
They may be pulling a fast one on you, but the date on your receipt is very important here.

If you bought the thing less than 6 months ago, they are obliged by law to treat it as if it was faulty from new, and to repair or replace it. If they want to claim that you broke it, they have to prove that you broke it, not simply say that's what they think happened and basically tell you to get lost.

Go back to the store, ask to see the duty manager and remind him of your rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

Central
17-04-2011, 15:55
Well it was bought on the 16th October 2010. Not to sure if that's within 6 months though as they may count there months as 28 days like there returns policy

Ben B
17-04-2011, 15:55
When I've had to return mobile phones to Tesco, not sure if it is the same for cameras but they told me to ring the helpline who then sent a prepaid envelope to send it in for repair at their repair centre. There should be a phone number on your receipt for you to ring :)

Central
17-04-2011, 16:06
I just rang up and spoke to the duty manager. He said policy in Tesco's was to only have items back with all the parts I quoted the sales of good act and he said well our policy is not to have it back unless its complete and that's what they are sticking to.

He then refused to give me his last name but I have his first name. I then said does Tesco policy over rule the sales of good act and he said he could not answer that. He also said if i did not agree with the policy i should speak to customer services

Help please?

Chris
17-04-2011, 16:17
The camera is faulty. The law says they have to repair or replace it. The fact you can't wave an instruction manual at them is totally irrelevant. But if they want to be difficult you may have to get the big guns in - a phone call to your local council's Trading Standards department might be in order.

Zing
17-04-2011, 16:21
I just rang up and spoke to the duty manager. He said policy in Tesco's was to only have items back with all the parts I quoted the sales of good act and he said well our policy is not to have it back unless its complete and that's what they are sticking to.

He then refused to give me his last name but I have his first name. I then said does Tesco policy over rule the sales of good act and he said he could not answer that. He also said if i did not agree with the policy i should speak to customer services

Help please?

store policy has nothing what so ever to do with statatory rights . He is trying it on yet again

Tezcatlipoca
17-04-2011, 16:26
The Directgov website may be helpful: Returning faulty items (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/Yourconsumerrightswhenbuyinggoodsandservices/DG_194650)

Central
17-04-2011, 16:31
I just spoke to someone on the phone at Tesco Helpline and I am emailing him pictures of the camera and the faulty LCD.

Peter_
17-04-2011, 16:32

Help please?
You have the contact details above so you can try them tomorrow but try another store first.

Central
17-04-2011, 16:46
Well after emailing the pictures over the guy at Tesco customer services called me back and said it looks like actually pixel damage and not accidental damage. He said he can see no sign of water damage so he is ruling that out and gave me a reference number to take it back into any store with a electrical department and get a refund or replacement

So happy now.

Zing
17-04-2011, 16:49
Well after emailing the pictures over the guy at Tesco customer services called me back and said it looks like actually pixel damage and not accidental damage. He said he can see no sign of water damage so he is ruling that out and gave me a reference number to take it back into any store with a electrical department and get a refund or replacement

So happy now.

go wave it in the faces of those who blagged you first time round before you do anything. Tell them to learn their job

Central
17-04-2011, 16:50
I am seriously thinking about taking there attitude and customer service further and making an official complaint.

martyh
17-04-2011, 16:52
I am seriously thinking about taking there attitude and customer service further and making an official complaint.

make sure you get the new camera first :)

progers
17-04-2011, 16:56
I would do that and send it to Terry whatever his name is and ask for compensation foir phone calls, cost of petrol etc etc

Peter_
17-04-2011, 17:07

So happy now.
Persistence usually works let us know how you get on and take it back to the original store, which number did you ring for future reference.

Central
17-04-2011, 17:11
0845 4566767

Peter_
17-04-2011, 17:11
0845 4566767
A good number to save.

Zing
17-04-2011, 17:15
Persistence usually works let us know how you get on and take it back to the original store, which number did you ring for future reference.

the squeaky wheel gets the grease lol

Hom3r
17-04-2011, 17:32
I never have this problem, I get my siste to sort it out as she is a paralegal secretary (with letters after her name), and know all about this stuff, and you should the look on managers faces when she starts quoting regs at them.

inneedofhelp
17-04-2011, 21:16
You should always check to see that there is no damage certainly within the first six months of buying something because it is so much easier to return something new. The OP's problem was that the item was treated as accidentally damaged rather than faulty because nobody bothered to look at it. Instead of banging your head against the retailer's brick wall, don't forget there's always the manufacturer - they're worth a try because some of them can be excellent and it is a powerful thing to then say to the retailer the manufacturer has asked me to return it to you. Remember though that the buck definitely stops with the shop.

ZrByte
17-04-2011, 23:11
Never had a problem like this with tesco. I bought a TV from them 3 years ago and it went faulty after 11 months. Called the faults number and returned it unboxed and without the instructions and got an equivelent model. Six months later the replacement turned faulty so returned it unboxed and without instuctions or the included wall mount for a full refund and went nextdoor to currys to buy an equal spec samsung.

Now that doesn't bode well for tesco product quality but certainly makes thier customer services look better.