PDA

View Full Version : 30M Stuck with no Internet?

Wario
13-04-2011, 20:40
I'll keep this short......got Superhub today, kept dropping connection over and over, wanted to get back and do some online gaming so decided to use my trusty old modem and Router so gave VM a buzz and gave them that MAC address. Now nothing works, no ready light at all on the old modem :(

Enginneer coming out on Friday, anything I can try beforehand as I'm missing Cod big time!

Might be totally irrelevant but I did hear the technical guy mention my upstream transmit power level? 55.5 or something? Don't know the details.

Any response welcome even if you tell me I need a night or two away from gaming as I'm becomming a hermit.

Neo-Tech
13-04-2011, 20:47
You rung up to get your old modem activated?

pip08456
13-04-2011, 20:49
You need a night or two away from gaming.

Upstream 55.5 or something? don't know the details?

Post your upstream & downsream levels and we may be able to advise.

Peter_
13-04-2011, 20:54
If you have just upgraded to 30Mb and then rang back to get your old modem back on the account then they would have to gone to Customer Services or Customer Relations to have you downgraded as a standard modem will not work on 30Mb as that is on the Docsis 3 tier and your modem will only work on Docsis 1/2.

Wario
13-04-2011, 21:15
Thanks for the replies.

They didn't mention downgrading me when I phoned, mind you the Scouser on the end of the line sounded like he had just jacked up so was difficult to understand him.

I need to plug my router/modem/Superhub back in and report my readings, that is if I can do that with no Internet?

It looks like I might have to wait until Friday and just prey that the engineer is a good egg, I was just hoping I could get online sooner to test my new 'phones that are coming tomorrow.

Ooppss...... Just noticed your location 'Masque' .........Errrrrrrr no offence.

Peter_
13-04-2011, 21:19
Thanks for the replies.

They didn't mention downgrading me when I phoned, mind you the Scouser on the end of the line sounded like he had just jacked up so was difficult to understand him.

I need to plug my router/modem/Superhub back in and report my readings, that is if I can do that with no Internet?

It looks like I might have to wait until Friday and just prey that the engineer is a good egg, I was just hoping I could get online sooner to test my new 'phones that are coming tomorrow.

Ooppss...... Just noticed your location 'Masque' .........Errrrrrrr no offence.
As you have the Superhub did you receive it as part of a upgrade to 30Mb if so they cannot just swap you back to the original modem as it will not work unless you are downgraded back to 10Mb or 20Mb.

No offence taken but read what I have posted instead.

Wario
13-04-2011, 21:27
I got the Superhub as part of a free upgrade.

After the problems I had with it I phoned them up to explain i wanted to try the old'en and without delay they were asking for the MAC address of my old Modem.

Peter_
13-04-2011, 21:29

After the problems I had with it I phoned them up to explain i wanted to try the old'en and without delay they were asking for the MAC address of my old Modem.
Were you upgraded to 30Mb though or did you keep the previous speed you were on.

pip08456
13-04-2011, 21:32

As the suprhub itself cannot be considered an upgrade one presumes it is an upgrade to a higher speed tier.

Peter_
13-04-2011, 21:36
As the suprhub itself cannot be considered an upgrade one presumes it is an upgrade to a higher speed tier.
I know that but some people have the Superhub on other tiers and if he was on 30Mb and the agent made no effort to call another department then his old modem will never work as his modem cannot run on the Docsis 3 tier and if this is the case a quick call in the morning after 0800 will have him correctly provisioned and up and running.

Now if he was on the phone talking to me I would already know these details as I would see it on my screen but as I am at home I need to ask for clarification as to what I think is the cause of him having no connection.

Wario
13-04-2011, 21:36
Were you upgraded to 30Mb though or did you keep the previous speed you were on.

I was specifically upgraded from 20 to 30 meg. That was the reason I contacted VM, to get more speed.

Nopanic
13-04-2011, 21:39
Then Masque is right, the old modem wont work ..

Peter_
13-04-2011, 21:40
I was specifically upgraded from 20 to 30 meg. That was the reason I contacted VM, to get more speed.
Thank you, so when the agent added your modem MAC address to the account he at no time put you on hold while he called another department to get you downgraded, if this did not happen then you will still be on 30Mb and your modem cannot run on that tier.

Wario
13-04-2011, 21:48
That's what has happened then, the guy did not put me on hold.

I'll give them a call tomorrow, maybe not actually as the reason I called them in the first place was that the Superhubs blue light just wasn't staying on so I feel an engineers visit might be the next step.

pip08456
13-04-2011, 21:49
Thank you, so when the agent added your modem MAC address to the account he at no time put you on hold while he called another department to get you downgraded, if this did not happen then you will still be on 30Mb and your modem cannot run on that tier.

Whooooooooooooh Masque. Could you please clarify here?

What you seem to be saying is that any agent can add a MAC to any tier of service without knowing or caring what that level of service is.

Surely when the agent brings up the ciustomers account details it would show the service level?

Peter_
13-04-2011, 21:55

What you seem to be saying is that any agent can add a MAC to any tier of service without knowing or caring what that level of service is.

Surely when the agent brings up the ciustomers account details it would show the service level?
As you can see from what the OP has said his old modem has been put back on the account and unless he is downgraded it will not give him a connection, it should not happen and once this has been seen when the OP calls back then the agent will have a complaint fed back and asked why he did not follow process.

I knew what the issue was at a glance but needed the OP to confirm it for me.

I do actually know my job you see even though some people think otherwise sometimes.

pip08456
13-04-2011, 22:00
Masque, I know full well that a 20Mb modem of whatever make will not work on DOCSIS3. That is not what I asked.

Why would the agent have to ring another department for the downgrade?

Nopanic
13-04-2011, 22:00

You have to think about the different tiers of service and order processes, to put a restriction in place to stop certain modems being assigned to certain services is very difficult. There are things in place to force equipment on new orders, but we need to be able to trust our agents can read :D

Peter_
13-04-2011, 22:03
Masque, I know full well that a 20Mb modem of whatever make will not work on DOCSIS3. That is not what I asked.

Why would the agent have to ring another department for the downgrade?
Because it is not our job to downgrade or upgrade customers nor do we have the relevant permissions on our systems hence we put you on hold and call the correct department.

Wario
13-04-2011, 22:04
Thanks for the info, I'll give them a call, try out the Superhub again and keep this forum in mind when/if I have furthe issues.

See you tomorrow!!

Peter_
13-04-2011, 22:06
Thanks for the info, I'll give them a call, try out the Superhub again and keep this forum in mind when/if I have furthe issues.

See you tomorrow!!
You will need to call tomorrow after 0800 as the relevant department is closed.

pip08456
13-04-2011, 22:07
You have to think about the different tiers of service and order processes, to put a restriction in place to stop certain modems being assigned to certain services is very difficult. There are things in place to force equipment on new orders, but we need to be able to trust our agents can read :D

I understand what you are trying to say but if as Masque said it needs a phone call to another dept then they don't need to read anything.

I cannot see the difficulty of assigning modems to services as now VM either issue hubs or plooperhubs on any attempted upgrade.

Just read your reply Masque. Surely it would be better to put the customer through to the relevant department?

Peter_
13-04-2011, 22:15
I understand what you are trying to say but if as Masque said it needs a phone call to another dept then they don't need to read anything.They need to read the account notes and be able to see what tier of service the customer is on, quite basic stuff.

Just read your reply Masque. Surely it would be better to put the customer through to the relevant department?
No as they can only change the relevant tier nothing more, we have to activate the modem, remove it from the walled garden and check that it has a valid ip.

You do realise that I do know exactly what I am talking about here and that I am not making any of this up.:rolleyes:

pip08456
13-04-2011, 22:17
You do realise that I do know exactly what I am talking about here and that I am not making any of this up.:rolleyes:

As if!

You're making it all up!:D:D:D

Peter_
13-04-2011, 22:20
As if!

You're making it all up!:D:D:D
I wish.:D

At least this was a clear case of stupidity.:D

Wario
13-04-2011, 22:23
Cheers for the ammunition, I might even get the 50meg FOC now :p

Nopanic
13-04-2011, 22:28
What Masque is saying is that if the agent has done this correctly they would have called customer care to have the account dropped to allow the old modem to work.

If they have just added, which it looks like they did .. it wont.

Peter_
13-04-2011, 22:29
Cheers for the ammunition, I might even get the 50meg FOC now :p
Unlikely as it is just an error.;)

Wario
13-04-2011, 22:31
Funnily enough I spoke to two VM people today and I asked them both about using the old Modem, neither even flinched when they said 'no problem'

Both were not from the tech department though, just the Superhub helpline.

Peter_
13-04-2011, 22:33
Never heard of that line, any issues should automatically go through to technical support.

pip08456
13-04-2011, 22:36
No comment!

Neo-Tech
14-04-2011, 06:55
Pip, I think this would be more appropriate :D
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000577585/polls_lolwutermelon_2_0149_105361_answer_3_xlarge. jpeg

Peter_
14-04-2011, 07:21
If that option is now on the call tree it will just pass you through to a technical support agent as we all deal with the same kit, the only time this varies is if they are a 50Mb customer who then get transferred to the 50Mb trained agents.

As for the agent who dealt with Wario I would say he needs to fed back on and Qario must ask for a complaint to be raised against that agent.

Wario
14-04-2011, 10:37
Well, found the problem myself.

The copper wire in my cable has snapped in two. Should be straightforward for the engineer tomorrow.

Wario
15-04-2011, 16:17
VM engineer came out, repaired cable, told me that the account holder (me) needs to phone up to get things changed over and then left.

VM didnt have a clue what the engineer was talking about and I'm now still stuck without Internet and waiting for an Engineer to return to sort it out.

At least I didn't have to take a day off work (unpaid) so I could wait in for the Engineer........................errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rr.

---------- Post added at 16:17 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

It's a miracle!

Just as I was about to take my hammer out and embed the claw into the Superhub, it came back on.

Now, is it normal for a 30meg customer to get a measly 0.99 upload??

Neo-Tech
15-04-2011, 17:40
Yes, unless you're in an upload speed upgraded area.

http://virginmedia.com/fasteruploads or http://apcyberax.co.uk/myubr.php (better)

Wario
15-04-2011, 19:41
Roll on July, many thanks to all who replied.

A great forum, hopefully I shall not be returning anytime soon.

pip08456
15-04-2011, 22:42
Roll on July, many thanks to all who replied.

A great forum, hopefully I shall not be returning anytime soon.

Why not? You may learn more and be able to help others.

craigj2k12
16-04-2011, 14:54
Why not? You may learn more and be able to help others.

he probably means he hopes he doesnt have to ask for any help, i.e. he hopes his service isnt down again

Wario
16-04-2011, 17:06
Exactly!

Also, another forum to actively post in is not on my agenda as I must've accumulated 100k posts in various forums over the last 10 years, I'm now settled to just posting on AV Forums which is enough for me.

craigj2k12
16-04-2011, 19:53
Exactly!

Also, another forum to actively post in is not on my agenda as I must've accumulated 100k posts in various forums over the last 10 years, I'm now settled to just posting on AV Forums which is enough for me.

Fine then! :wavey: