PDA

View Full Version : 30M YouTube streaming freezes

Zee
13-04-2011, 18:07
Not only does youtube streaming freeze on larger videos half way, but on Facebook videos too, and i tried downloading large files today, for example ATI drivers and they cut off half way. None of these issues happen on my Sky Unlimited connection.

Is there any known problem or is anyone else experiencing issues?

craigj2k12
13-04-2011, 18:11
Speedtest and pingtest
And modem stats

Zee
13-04-2011, 18:37
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/04/67.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

http://www.pingtest.net/result/38740716.png (http://www.pingtest.net)

Not sure how to post the stats without it being so messed up?

By the way this only started happening about a week or so ago.

Helix
13-04-2011, 19:07
It's an issue with the R25 firmware that was released last week, people on this thread are having issues too: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33676649-possible-to-revert-firmware-version-superhub.html

Virgin are not admitting there is an issue yet and people are having trouble reporting it because India doesn't know what Firmware is. Enabling the Firewall on the Superhub should fix the streaming and download issue but has the side effect of causing some other sites to load slowly.

Zee
13-04-2011, 20:02
I guess i'll post the same message there, thanks.

Taf
13-04-2011, 20:49
It all started a few days ago for me too.

Helix
13-04-2011, 20:51
And yet Virgin staff refuse to admit there is a problem.

pip08456
13-04-2011, 20:57
And yet Virgin staff refuse to admit there is a problem.

So what's new?

Skie
13-04-2011, 21:04
There is no problem because nobody has reported it! If people reported it the highly skilled offshore experts would have noted the issue in the systems and we would know about it by the volume of calls!

Superhub is superhub, and therefore cannot have issues.

Zee
13-04-2011, 21:26
enabling firewall features and youtube streaming is fine, disable it and again youtube issues. the new firmware must have messed something up.

Helix
13-04-2011, 21:32
enabling firewall features and youtube streaming is fine, disable it and again youtube issues. the new firmware must have messed something up.

Yep and according to testers these issues were brought up by them but Virgin ignored them and pushed the firmware out regardless.

I would respect them much more if they just came out now and held their hands up and said we messed up, we're working on a fix as soon as possible. But no they have just gone completely silent on the matter.

pip08456
13-04-2011, 21:43
This R25 firmware upgade pushed out makes a mockery of the need for user testing.

The whole point of trialists surely is to find the problems before any firmware update is pushed out. This is what happened with the VMNG300 when it had problems in the beginning.

To push out a firmware upgrade with known problems is IMHO the height of stupidity.
To then say they will "attempt" to replicate the reported issues "in the lab" shows a complete contempt of those picked for the trial.

Why have trialists if you don't listen to them?

pigpen
13-04-2011, 22:29
For what it's worth, Youtube hasn't been right for me for a couple of days now, and I don't even have a superhub

capt coax
13-04-2011, 22:33
youtube has been offish for me aswell..
i blame the kids on holiday lol..

capt

Bonglet
14-04-2011, 06:56
Same here you tube has been craptastic for me the past week, no superhub here either and kids dont break up till this week sooo.

Chrysalis
14-04-2011, 09:48
Not only does youtube streaming freeze on larger videos half way, but on Facebook videos too, and i tried downloading large files today, for example ATI drivers and they cut off half way. None of these issues happen on my Sky Unlimited connection.

Is there any known problem or is anyone else experiencing issues?

the now famous R25 superhub firmware bug. I assume you are using the superhub based on this post.

As a workaround enable the firewall on it.

---------- Post added at 09:48 ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 ----------

Same here you tube has been craptastic for me the past week, no superhub here either and kids dont break up till this week sooo.

well there is normal youtube issues such as buffering and slowness.

but this isnt that it is video's actually been incomplete and just cutting out.

Zee
14-04-2011, 10:33
after the video has loaded about 20% it just cuts of and refuses to load anymore, its not a youtube problem as on my Sky connection there is no issue. Enabling firewall seems to fix the issue.

---------- Post added at 10:33 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

but the firewall may mess up online gaming for my brother?

Welshchris
14-04-2011, 10:37
This isnt only a Virgin problem i can guarentee this.

My mate on AOL also has problems from time to time and also another mate of mine on 02 also has reported problems from time to time.

Ignitionnet
14-04-2011, 10:44
So it's just a coincidence that it goes away when a setting is changed on the Superhub?

Chrysalis
14-04-2011, 11:22
This isnt only a Virgin problem i can guarentee this.

My mate on AOL also has problems from time to time and also another mate of mine on 02 also has reported problems from time to time.

define problems?

you can guarantuee something based on a vague definition of problems? If I were a betting company the odds would be so short I would withdraw it from the market.

Welshchris
14-04-2011, 11:47
problems as in videos stuttering while playing.

Skullcap
14-04-2011, 11:57
That isn't the same as the problem after R25 update, the video will flash to fully downloaded but in reality its only downloaded a small part of it, so you will get around 30-50secs into the youtube video or streaming video source and it will stop, by enabling the firewall service option on the superhub this magically stops, switch it back off and it happens again, has nothing to do with AOL and the likes who video stuttering and buffering is the norm.

Chrysalis
14-04-2011, 13:03

in which case I suggest you read it more throughly next time as that is not the issue we talking about.

Zee
14-04-2011, 13:53

this is not the same problem with i and others have reported. Buffering issues and stuttering is normal i would not have posted if it was this issue, but the video will totally freeze after downloading about 10% or 15% of the video then stop downloading the video. This only started happening after the R25 update was applied to the superhub.

Jimmy-J
14-04-2011, 14:43
I'm having the same issues with freezing videos on Youtube, had them for almost a week. I had the super hub fitted last week.

pip08456
14-04-2011, 14:51
Defo a plooperhub problem. It happens if I use my VM connection but not when I switch to Infinity. Unless, of course, I switch the plooperhub's firewall back on.

Case proven.

Zee
14-04-2011, 22:28
They seem to have acknowledged the issue, but not fully.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Super-Hub-R25-Firmware-Issues-14-04-11/td-p/446313

According to that post they say it is only an issue with IE8, well i don't use IE8 i use IE9 and they didn't seem to say anything about YouTube freeze issues either.

Chrysalis
15-04-2011, 05:47
yeah I think they in damage control mode, its in all browsers as well as in other protocols like ftp and nntp.

toytown
15-04-2011, 09:32
Youtube has been terrible for me the last week and im still on the 20mbit connection, using Firefox.

Zee
18-04-2011, 22:47
They have updated the thread

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-50Mb-broadband/Super-Hub-R25-Firmware-Issues-Feedback-Thread/td-p/447527

webrosc
19-04-2011, 06:34
i've had the same issue on 50M
a little work around that sometimes works for me is to watch a few secs then pause, chane the video's size, say from 720 to 480, then back, it will buffer but allow it to fully buffer, then hit play.
if the video is running it seems to only want to buffer a bit then stop, on pause it will be happier to buffer the whole video

Zee
20-04-2011, 16:24
I received the R26 firmware update for the Superhub today which appears to have sorted out the issues i was having with streaming and downloading. I'll keep testing today and update if anything changes.

Chrysalis
20-04-2011, 16:28
I am on it now, will disable the firewall and test in a bit.

sniper007
20-04-2011, 16:44
How come so many of you guys run with the firewall off anyway? I thought only the flood detection option was required to be disabled to fix connection issues? My firewall I think has always been on, maybe this is why I am getting problems with wireless clients not being able to connect until I reboot the superhub.

Chrysalis
20-04-2011, 16:48
out of choice, I disable it on the dir615 as well so isnt a specific thing i do on the superhub. Anything that may hinder performance or cause compatability issues for little gain I will disable.

Zee
20-04-2011, 16:53
agree with Chrysalis. i don't see a need for the firewall anyway.

craigj2k12
20-04-2011, 17:46
it also affects gaming, it blocks (blocked in my case) ports requires for xbox live

sniper007
20-04-2011, 20:58
So what do you guys have set in your services list on superhub? Mine is as below which has barely been changed from default to my knowledge, apart from IP flood detection I disabled due to known issues with this:

Firewall Features ENABLED
IPsec PassThrough ENABLED
PPTP PassThrough ENABLED
Multicast ENABLED
Port Scan Detection DISABLED
IP Flood Detection DISABLED

Web Features (all below disabled)

Filter ProxyFilter
CookiesFilter
Java AppletsFilter
ActiveXFilter
Popup Windows
Block Fragmented IP Packets

Zee
20-04-2011, 21:08
So what do you guys have set in your services list on superhub? Mine is as below which has barely been changed from default to my knowledge, apart from IP flood detection I disabled due to known issues with this:

Firewall Features ENABLED
IPsec PassThrough ENABLED
PPTP PassThrough ENABLED
Multicast ENABLED
Port Scan Detection DISABLED
IP Flood Detection DISABLED

Web Features (all below disabled)

Filter ProxyFilter
CookiesFilter
Java AppletsFilter
ActiveXFilter
Popup Windows
Block Fragmented IP Packets

That was how my settings looked with the R25 firmware, but firewall features are now off since im on the "fixed" R26 firmware.

you're properably still on the R25 firmware so you should keep the firewall features on, once you get the new R26 firmware which should be released to everyone by next week you can disable the firewall features if you wish and everything should be back to normal.

Im currently using the R26 firmware and can say my connection is back to normal again.

Daveoc64
20-04-2011, 22:49
Is there any way to prompt a software update or do you just have to wait for it to happen?

pip08456
20-04-2011, 23:01
Is there any way to prompt a software update or do you just have to wait for it to happen?

You have to wait for it to happen. Don't worry though as it looks to have solved some of the problems and is due to be pushed out at the end of the week. Not much longer to wait.

Helix
20-04-2011, 23:13
You have to wait for it to happen. Don't worry though as it looks to have solved some of the problems and is due to be pushed out at the end of the week. Not much longer to wait.

Its fixed my problems. If they had any sense though, they would wait until next Tuesday. As its a bank holiday they will have to push it out to everyone tomorrow, which hasn't given much time for it to be tested and if it causes issues thats 4 days where there will be limited support available.

pip08456
21-04-2011, 00:22
Why would they have to push it out tomorrow? I think you'll find tech side will be working as normal, customer support is entirely different.

Zee
21-04-2011, 00:30

It was pushed out to testers yesterday and this evening. Everyone else will receive the update next week if all goes well.

Helix
21-04-2011, 00:34
Why would they have to push it out tomorrow? I think you'll find tech side will be working as normal, customer support is entirely different.

I just assumed they would have less tech support in on Good Friday and over the weekend. Didn't they do an update to the V+ boxes a few years back close to Christmas and managed to brick a large number of the boxes? Surely they wouldn't want a repeat of that by rushing an update out just before a bank holiday.

pip08456
21-04-2011, 08:03
I just assumed they would have less tech support in on Good Friday and over the weekend. Didn't they do an update to the V+ boxes a few years back close to Christmas and managed to brick a large number of the boxes? Surely they wouldn't want a repeat of that by rushing an update out just before a bank holiday.

That's why it's been pushed to a few customers yesterday.

Phil-ntl
21-04-2011, 16:26
That's why it's been pushed to a few customers yesterday.

Full rollout starts tonight. More info Here (http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Announcements/Super-Hub-R26-Firmware-Release-21-04-11/m-p/459239#M50)

jordyGFC
21-04-2011, 17:45
This in conjunction with youtubes crap servers has been a nightmare!

b8birmingham
21-04-2011, 22:40
Think its fixed today my connection been acting up unplug it then it should update.

see here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33677005-superhub-update-today.html

AdamD
22-04-2011, 22:51
Noticing youtube's performance, at least for me, has gone down hill really fast in the last week or so
I'm unable to stream any videos right now, it plays a few seconds, stops, 10 or so seconds go by, it plays a few more seconds, repeat
Not using the Superhub either.

vmfriend
24-04-2011, 11:06
Noticing youtube's performance, at least for me, has gone down hill really fast in the last week or so
I'm unable to stream any videos right now, it plays a few seconds, stops, 10 or so seconds go by, it plays a few more seconds, repeat
Not using the Superhub either.

You go careful, talk of issues being unrelated to VM on this forum is generally frowned upon;)