PDA

View Full Version : modem start up

T.F.S.B.I.G.W.S.
13-04-2011, 06:45
I switched my system on this morning at 5:56. There was no internet access until 6:02. The two right hand LEDs on the modem continued blinking until the internet was available - after which they remained on.
This seems to be happening a lot lately - after I switch on I have to wait several minutes before the internet is available. When paying form 10m from Virgin I could hope for better. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Thanks. T

Peter_
13-04-2011, 07:41
We need to know what model the modem is and what lights you are referring to also you modem power levels.

Please post the Upstream and Downstream stats from your modem just click http://192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp or if that does not work click http://192.168.100.1/

General Maximus
13-04-2011, 10:07
modems are designed to stay on all the time dude, power off your pc, printer and whatever else you want but your modem and router should stay on

Chrysalis
13-04-2011, 10:40
this is probably the single situation where the superhub helps, it doesnt have issues where the router and modem have to be turned on in right order.

as maximus said once its working leave both on all the time.

T.F.S.B.I.G.W.S.
22-04-2011, 16:13
It seems to help if, after I switch mains power on, I wait a minute or two until the two right hand LEDs (marked Synch and Ready) stop flashing. The internet access if fine.
All that remains is to sort out why my Outlook Express NTLWorld Email refuses to accept my username / password...

Kymmy
22-04-2011, 16:16
I'd suggest it to be a faulty modem (dry joint on the board somewhere that's only kicking in once the modem warms up a bit) though that doesn't disclude that it could be a fault elsewhere or even a borderline signal problem

pip08456
22-04-2011, 16:16
Have a look here

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/80/27-useful-info-adding-ntlworld-e-mail.html

Chrysalis
22-04-2011, 16:22
as a workaround to device order if you ever find unable to access the internet or access the modem then a dhcp renew on the router will make it work.

General Maximus
22-04-2011, 18:07
All that remains is to sort out why my Outlook Express NTLWorld Email refuses to accept my username / password...

click on tool, accounts, select your account and properties, advanced, wang the bar for server timeout up to max and it will work in a jiffy

T.F.S.B.I.G.W.S.
22-04-2011, 18:19
click on tool, accounts, select your account and properties, advanced, wang the bar for server timeout up to max and it will work in a jiffy
Thanks. I just tried and:
Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

I have double checked username and password (and wonder if I've ever changed the password and forgot to keep a record of the change). I'm also wondering if the modem fault could also cause this error (even if it seems unlikely). I have another modem somewhere and might try that soon - failing that I'll have to phone Virgin (prob no one there today to take calls).

Peter_
22-04-2011, 18:20
They are there until 8pm tonight then offshore take over.

T.F.S.B.I.G.W.S.
23-04-2011, 20:17
Thanks Masque:
Cable Modem Information Cable Modem : DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant MAC Address : ************* Serial Number : *********** Boot Code Version : 1.1.2c Software Version : 2.111.1002 Hardware Version : 1.9I tried the other modem but Virgin site advised that it could not connect me right now. After a few attempts I managed to get the above modem to 'work' again. I phoned VirginMedia and, after keying in that I had a problem with Broadband, ended up with an engaged tone before the line went dead. I'll try again soon. With the prices that Virgin are charging I may request a discount (or even a free film LOL!).

Kymmy
23-04-2011, 20:53
Please do not post MACs or Serial Numbers to Modems