PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Anyone seen this issue with Superhub?

sniper007
12-04-2011, 18:57
I have a Canon MP640 wireless printer. I have a new Virgin Media Superhub and since day one of owning this superhub this has been a problem.

The problem is that the printer simply does not respond. The Superhub is permanently left on 24/7. My laptop ALWAYS connects to the wireless network whenever asked to within seconds. The printer when turned on, connects wirelessly, I can see it show up as connected on the clients list on the superhub, the laptop claims it can see that the printer is on and available on the network yet when I go to print to the printer, I get a "printer not responding" message and then the laptop thinks the status of the printer is "! error documents failed to print" and that it is probably offline.

I have tried all sorts of reinstallation of drivers on the laptop, software, firewall stuff. But every single time the way to fix it very simply, is to turn the superhub off, and then on again. The printer need not even be rebooted, nor the laptop, everything reconnects and sorts itself out after a router restart. Then all will be fine until the printer is turned off and left off for any length of time. Again same fix...superhub turned off and on.

Anyone else seen anything similar?

DABhand
12-04-2011, 19:06
I dont have the superhub but does it have an option to allow printer and file sharing? Although it can connect to the superhub it may be blocked internally by a setting.

Neo-Tech
12-04-2011, 22:39
My MP620 works fine with all my laptops and iPhone. Might want to reset the network settings on the Canon? and readd the printers on the PC afterwards

sniper007
13-04-2011, 08:50
My MP620 works fine with all my laptops and iPhone. Might want to reset the network settings on the Canon? and readd the printers on the PC afterwards

Thanks for responding. How do you have it all setup? My MP640 connects to the superhub via WPA and....well...that's pretty much all there is to it. Like I say, once superhub has been rebooted it all works fine for a day or so. Maybe I should check logs when it does this thing, but I'm sure I did before and couldn't see anything obvious.

---------- Post added at 08:50 ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 ----------

I dont have the superhub but does it have an option to allow printer and file sharing? Although it can connect to the superhub it may be blocked internally by a setting.

I will have a look at this. Thanks. I think I have UPnP turned on.

Neo-Tech
13-04-2011, 17:15
Thanks for responding. How do you have it all setup? My MP640 connects to the superhub via WPA and....well...that's pretty much all there is to it. Like I say, once superhub has been rebooted it all works fine for a day or so. Maybe I should check logs when it does this thing, but I'm sure I did before and couldn't see anything obvious.

---------- Post added at 08:50 ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 ----------

I will have a look at this. Thanks. I think I have UPnP turned on.

No problem. Well, mine was originally setup via WPS on my old Linksys router which has now been replaced with the SuperHub, I just kept the passwords and SSID the same because it's strong anyway. You'll have to get the WPS PIN to set it up again with the SuperHub, if that feature didn't exist, I'd spend at least 10 minutes typing my password with the scroll wheel :erm:

Apart from that, everything on my SuperHub is standard with UPNP off. Might be an idea to turn off the firewall on the Hub to see if it makes a difference.

sniper007
19-04-2011, 17:49
OK so an update on this problem. It's definitely a superhub issue as I'm having issues with laptops connecting now. One on XP, one on Win 7 so not an OS issue. They will connect but struggle and take a minute or two, then will only stay connected for literally about 5-10 seconds then instantly will start hunting for my network again. Rinse and repeat in and endless loop until I reboot the router then all is fine. My wireless settings are on the 2.4ghz band, wpa, nothing our of the ordinary. Minimal settings no mac filtering or anything. I can't see anything reported in the logs when this happens.
Any suggestions? Superhub just looks unreliable to me at the moment with wireless. Are there any known issues with it or things to check? Firmware?
I'm annoyed as the superhub I had faith in as seems a really good product...well...it did seem.

Mick Fisher
19-04-2011, 19:33
Optimise your channels, InSSider can help.

Drop the 802.11 mode to145mbps.

Usually helps the wireless to limp along a bit better. :)

sniper007
19-04-2011, 22:18
Optimise your channels, InSSider can help.

Drop the 802.11 mode to145mbps.

Usually helps the wireless to limp along a bit better. :)

Are you basically saying to swap to a channel that is in use the least in my area? I don't think it's a channel issue. Never had issues before with wireless on any router.

pip08456
19-04-2011, 22:32
If the plooperhub is in auto selection mode it normally picks the busiest channel to use.

Don't rule out anything with the POS just because you've never had the problems with a decent router in the past!

General Maximus
19-04-2011, 23:09
have you got your 40mb installed yet pip?

pip08456
19-04-2011, 23:13
have you got your 40mb installed yet pip?

Been up and running with NO probs since 4th. VM goes on 6th! (using my own router to the MODEM!)

Mick Fisher
20-04-2011, 13:02
Are you basically saying to swap to a channel that is in use the least in my area?
Basically Yes. The Auto setting doesn't seem to work.

I don't think it's a channel issue. Never had issues before with wireless on any router.
I never had wireless issues either but that was before VM saddled me with this POS.

Just try it, from what you say your wireless experience with the superdud can hardly get any worse.

Chrysalis
20-04-2011, 14:45
I havent been able to test R26 yet but the reports so far are positive on the download/stream issue.

sniper007
20-04-2011, 16:37
How can I get a copy of R26 apart from by signing up as a BETA tester on VM forums?

I will try changing wireless settings tonight. Do you guys run with the firewall turned off? I have mine ON still but have the flood detection off since that ruins my connection totally.

Chrysalis
20-04-2011, 16:41
you cant without waiting or been a beta tester. However you wont be waiting very long as VM are going to rush this out this week I think.

sniper007
20-04-2011, 17:06
Looks that way as feedback suggests R26 fixes the issue.

pip08456
20-04-2011, 18:13
R26 appears to. Too early to say for sure but looks promising.

Chrysalis
20-04-2011, 18:31
watched a few youtube vids and were all fine, but need to test more at least 20 or so more.

General Maximus
20-04-2011, 18:56
Been up and running with NO probs since 4th. VM goes on 6th! (using my own router to the MODEM!)

nice, are your speeds and everything alright? I know BT are behind but I am hoping that once they have got the fibre rolled out that it wont take them long to start offering multiple tiers like VM do and do something like 40/10, 70/20 and 100/30. That would defo give VM a run for their money.

Chrysalis
20-04-2011, 19:49
nice, are your speeds and everything alright? I know BT are behind but I am hoping that once they have got the fibre rolled out that it wont take them long to start offering multiple tiers like VM do and do something like 40/10, 70/20 and 100/30. That would defo give VM a run for their money.

BT dont do broadband that way anymore, one reason why the market is so damaged.

eg. they currently sell 20mbit adsl alongside 40mbit infinity yet both are exactly the same price for different speeds. They only differ on usage not burst speeds for pricing. So if they decided to rollout 100mbit it wouldnt surprise me if it simply replaced the 40mbit and they kept it as one speed to fit all. They do charge for different upload speeds tho.

pip08456
20-04-2011, 19:56

Avg speeds 38/8.5 lowest I've noticed 33.8/7.9.

General Maximus
20-04-2011, 20:36
nice

Mick Fisher
20-04-2011, 23:08
How can I get a copy of R26 apart from by signing up as a BETA tester on VM forums?

I will try changing wireless settings tonight. Do you guys run with the firewall turned off? I have mine ON still but have the flood detection off since that ruins my connection totally.
I have been running with the firewall off. However as well as the R25 issues my superdud reboots itself numerous times each day. Attempting to throw some light on the rebooting issue I switched on the firewall to see if it would make a difference.

Regrettably it made no difference BUT while using my laptop wirelessly I sent 5gig across the lan and guess what superdud rebooted itself. Now I run an app that syncs the NAS with the desktop a few times a day and I reckon that's what's causing the reboots.

So we could have a gigabit device that can't handle gigabit lan transfers.

Is there anything that works as it should on this piece of junk.

pip08456
21-04-2011, 00:26
I have been running with the firewall off. However as well as the R25 issues my superdud reboots itself numerous times each day. Attempting to throw some light on the rebooting issue I switched on the firewall to see if it would make a difference.

Regrettably it made no difference BUT while using my laptop wirelessly I sent 5gig across the lan and guess what superdud rebooted itself. Now I run an app that syncs the NAS with the desktop a few times a day and I reckon that's what's causing the reboots.

So we could have a gigabit device that can't handle gigabit lan transfers.

Is there anything that works as it should on this piece of junk.

Lan transfer problems have already been reported on several occasions, The SH just falls of it's face and farts through the Gb ports!

sniper007
21-04-2011, 11:03
OMG you are joking? I'm about to set up/add to my home network a file server and will be doing regular high speed transfers whilst simultaneously streaming and using the internet. I am beginnning to regret selling my old router now, but to be honest what choice have I got until they enable bridge mode? I knew it was too good to be true having an all in one sit there and just work with internal Gigabit ports and "most" modern day features desirable in a router.

---------- Post added at 11:03 ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 ----------

Lan transfer problems have already been reported on several occasions, The SH just falls of it's face and farts through the Gb ports!

Can you link me as well? Wouldn't mind reading up on this. Like I say, how long before bridge mode is brought to us?

Mick Fisher
21-04-2011, 12:17
Lan transfer problems have already been reported on several occasions,
Yes I've seen many.

I just didn't twig my rebooting problem was down to LAN transfers to the NAS as it is automatic process and S/Dud doesn't reboot every time. But the manual transfer instantly followed by a reboot seemed pretty conclusive. Oddly the LAN (wired and wireless) stayed up, only the WAN was dropped until S/Dud rebooted itself.

I'm not sure of the implications here? Could that mean the router stayed up and the modem side bombed or does it just mean that S/Dud behaves as a dumb switch while it reboots?

The SH just falls of it's face and farts through the Gb ports!
:D:D:D

Skie
21-04-2011, 12:24
Sounds like the CPU in the hub isn't up to the task of being a cable modem and a router at the same time, so one function suffers if the other one is being maxed out.

Which would not be good if they ever go up to the mythical 400meg that the superhub is supposedly capable of. They would have to enable bridge mode and provide a separate router if that was the case. Ironic.