PDA

View Full Version : 50M RAGGEEEEEEEE.. this is a classic

DABhand
11-04-2011, 01:08
Due to uselessness of VM over the years, I was on a Triple Loyalty Package with 50mb.

Saturday, downtime due to crappy UBR in Uddingston - im sure Andy frequents here and he said it was fine, came back from downtime checked modem everything fine 50mb docsis file.

Sunday morning, 50mb till Midday, then 6hrs downtime, called approx 5hrs into it, just to try and find out if a problem was in Uddingston - the usual "It is fine" rubbish and she attempted to go through the crappy checks... tried to send out engineer I said no - no need, then "I know customers who have the VMNG300 modem have problems like yours, I shall send out a new one"... "I don't need one the modem is fine" .... "Sir it can't hurt"... so agreed cause dinner was out and was getting tired of it all.

So went back online, but was playing Fallout New Vegas to de-rage about the last few weeks of VM.. then I checked modem stats 1hr ago- should have done this when it came back on..

I was dropped to 20mb. Called up and told im definitely on 20mb... RAGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEE.. somehow Ms India managed to order me another modem for 50mb users similar to the one I have (not supermodem thank god) to only do something stupid and got me on 20mb.

Asked for them to change back -- has to be customer services.. MORE RAGE.. how did you manage to change it to 20 I say... We didn't they say... of course you did I say cause nobody else could have done it since Customer Services isn't working on the weekend, had 50mb yesterday after downtime so it picked up 50mb docsis file its common sense really.

Then this 2nd woman im talking to passes me to Mr Smarmy 50mb upgrade guy from India he can't do nothing either... he didn't get the idea that how could I have the modem and be on 50mb cause it says 20mb on the system... MORE RAGGEEEEEEE

WTB: Atom Bomb for Bombay pls :)

Anyone have this happened to them before?

Peter_
11-04-2011, 05:59
You need to call up today after 0800 this morning to speak to a UK agent on the 50Mb Support line which is 0800 052 0431 as no one on the technical side can downgrade you only Customer services can do that.

Also which modem did they say they were sending out.

DABhand
11-04-2011, 06:43
Here is the thing.. Saturday there was downtime, after which the modem connected to the UBR and was on 50mb still, Sunday after that phone call and 6hrs im on 20mb, so why did it switch? And who? The only time I spoke to VM was at that time.. ergo something happened when they ordered another modem... seemed weird as I was led to believe that the 50mb modems (the 300's) are now obsolete.

And it happened at the worse time.

I have applied for a job with EA, and they wanted me to upload some work ive done in the past and present for this morning. Because my UBR hasn't been upgraded yet for the 100mb and upload speeds, back on 20mb = 80KB/s max. I had to sit up all night for it to finish, im tired and majorly ****ed off as you can expect.

Nopanic
11-04-2011, 06:53
Sounds like the agent has completed an install rather than booked a tech .. that or they have gone through a downgrade, which isn't something they are trained to do and isn't something someone would go through by mistake.

Without actually seeing your account I don't know what's happened, but if the agents had spoken to 2nd line, they would have been able to sort it for you.

Not very good service.

Russ
11-04-2011, 07:00
Try speaking to someone from the UK about it first and if that doesn't get you anywhere let us know and I'll escalate this to one of our high-level contacts in VM.

Peter_
11-04-2011, 07:04
Here is the thing.. Saturday there was downtime, after which the modem connected to the UBR and was on 50mb still, Sunday after that phone call and 6hrs im on 20mb, so why did it switch? And who? The only time I spoke to VM was at that time.. ergo something happened when they ordered another modem... seemed weird as I was led to believe that the 50mb modems (the 300's) are now obsolete.

And it happened at the worse time.

I have applied for a job with EA, and they wanted me to upload some work ive done in the past and present for this morning. Because my UBR hasn't been upgraded yet for the 100mb and upload speeds, back on 20mb = 80KB/s max. I had to sit up all night for it to finish, im tired and majorly ****ed off as you can expect.
Call after 0800 this morning if possible.

DABhand
11-04-2011, 09:45
On phone - Ms India 3 told me I was downgraded since 24th March without my knowledge or permission. By luck I managed even with downtime to keep the 50mb docsis file. Shocking.

Now on loop of footloose and my house waiting on customer services. Major fix coming up and compo for the problems and contract breaking.

---------- Post added at 09:45 ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 ----------

Ok here we go, VM is full of lies

Talked to first guy he says there was no retention deal made at end of last year for my triple discount. Asked to put through to retentions as I was getting no-where.

Next guy says deal was made November 1st, but for 20mb only and not 50mb which I did agree to the girl with with added discount to bring the price down I was happy with. Apart from him calling me a liar a few times when I said I had the welcome pack letter that clearly shows the Broadband XXL listed, and also a December bill with XXL listed on it also he was basically saying send it in as proof constantly hinting I was lying.

I love this bit, even though I agreed to the contract with the girl and from that day I was 50mb until yesterday, he says VM can cancel the 50mb with 30 days notice (this was not done - thanks Matthew for that little gem for legal action too), he couldn't explain why if the system said I was 20mb user why for months even after modem resets and downtime was I getting a 50mb docsis file... He gave a couple of defending excuses for the company here. When common sense suggest I WAS on 50mb.

The best one was "It can take a couple of months for the servers to send the correct docsis file".. LAWL ... I was 50mb, downgraded to 20mb and late last year went to 50mb.. now he doesn't get this part... for me to get the 50mb docsis file I had to be put on as 50mb on the system to do so, and for some reason I was downgraded after it according to him (to me it happened yesterday) - so for me to be put on it from that date means it had to been agreed to.

So I wasn't happy, and because im on a continuation contract from my 2nd deal (3rd and final deal was not a new 1yr contract - which when I said I would seek compensation for the rest of the year he thought a whole year from November - silly boy) I have no set contract time as its continuous so he even tried to charge me a cancellation fee. LAWL.

Also apparently there is no retention deals for 50mb if that is the case then...

1. Not my fault this contract was agreed to, and VM can't break it unless I break their TOS.
2. The agent was wrong to offer this, and even then technically there is no contract per say and the cancellation fee should not apply (Im on a continuation contract so it shouldn't apply anyways)
3. More proof VM teach their staff to lie in cases.

Not happy, this shows you their disregard for customers. Will be contacting lawyer the amount of times poor Matthew broke the Data Protection Act and for some reason I cannot request a copy of my bandwith usage for free and must pay a £10 fee... err no I know my rights, will make this one a good one.

1. Contract Breaking
2. Refusal of Compensation for the problems caused by the last agent who falsely gave me a bogus contract (according to Matthew that is since no 50mb deals)
3. Refusal to provide information which I am legally allowed to ask for due to DPA 1974.
4. Attempt to acquire more monies from myself unlawfully through a illegal cancellation fee that should not be applicable.
5. Fee's etc.

Yeah well done VM well done.

Peter_
11-04-2011, 14:28
You can ask for a hard copy of your account notes for which the may be a small administration charge just call 150 and choose the "Thinking of Leaving Us" option and ask the agent to mail them out.

If you have a copy of your contract as you say then send it with an email covering the above issues above to the CEO's Office using the following email address neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk

DABhand
11-04-2011, 16:57
Its past that, I am now suing VM.

My family lawyer has been notified and is currently collating information etc.

Nopanic
11-04-2011, 17:35
Its past that, I am now suing VM.

My family lawyer has been notified and is currently collating information etc.

Good luck with that.

DABhand
11-04-2011, 20:38
Thanks, but I don't need luck.

I have the Welcome Pack later dated with the information.
I recorded the phone call as was said to the guy, he clearly broke the Data Protection Act twice, refused specific requests even though I am legally allowed them and so forth. Although the guy said it he is a representative of VM by working in his capacity, so VM get the bad end of the stick so to speak.

VM themselves by doing what they have done have broken the contract we had so I am legally bound to have the entire costs I have paid since that day and what would have been paid per rest of the contract term.

Also this may or may not be successful, but because of VM breaking the contract and downgrading me and my recent action I had to do for EA Games, if the data I sent did not reach them in time for any reason and they say so in writing if I request it and if they also say in writing that my chances of employment if that data was correctly received was very probable then I can sue for the potential loss of employment also due to the fact of the time frame was extended due to the downgrade (which no 30 day notice or any notification to me was given) for an entire year of that potential employment (I hope it did get there as I would love the job) it would come also to £35k plus extras that EA would have had to pay including lodgings they would provide for me to move to London.

Also the guy who I was dealing with and basically called me a liar and was unhelpful etc, name was Matthew (can't provide surname due to future legal reasons), I am hoping to get him the sack as a personal achievement.

So yeah it could turn out very good for me, and for the fact it is for a sizeable amount it won't be through the Small Claims Courts either.

A note to anyone else any contract etc you sign, get everything in writing, any correspondence you receive keep a hold of always and if something similar like myself happens know you have a right like I do to sue their ass off :)

Peter_
11-04-2011, 20:47
You do realise that unless you informed him at the beginning of the call that you were recording the call that the recording is inadmissible as you can be construed as leading him on.

Just a little thought and you would get a better response from the email address above.

Russ
11-04-2011, 20:49
Not wishing to intentionally sound doubtful but....I've lost count of the number of people on here who in the past have sworn to take legal action against VM. Not heard of anyone successfully taking them on in court.

I've offered to get this resolved for you. Your call.

craigj2k12
11-04-2011, 20:59
Not wishing to intentionally sound doubtful but....I've lost count of the number of people on here who in the past have sworn to take legal action against VM. Not heard of anyone successfully taking them on in court.

I've offered to get this resolved for you. Your call.

a lot of legal firms are willing to take ISP's to court, as they can use the consumer rights laws against the ISP and usually win. I think this is where people are getting the idea of legal action from. I read a post on the VM forums this morning where someone was threatening legal action becuase he was experiencing lag playing something like flash pokemon lol :D

Neo-Tech
11-04-2011, 21:58
Wow, what disgusting way VM have treated you. I hope you win in court, even if you don't win, I'll be happy for you for trying.

jb66
11-04-2011, 22:07
Court? Couldn't virgin just give you a month rental back then tell you to buzz off?

Hugh
11-04-2011, 22:14
Thanks, but I don't need luck.

I have the Welcome Pack later dated with the information.
I recorded the phone call as was said to the guy, he clearly broke the Data Protection Act twice, refused specific requests even though I am legally allowed them and so forth. Although the guy said it he is a representative of VM by working in his capacity, so VM get the bad end of the stick so to speak.

VM themselves by doing what they have done have broken the contract we had so I am legally bound to have the entire costs I have paid since that day and what would have been paid per rest of the contract term.

Also this may or may not be successful, but because of VM breaking the contract and downgrading me and my recent action I had to do for EA Games, if the data I sent did not reach them in time for any reason and they say so in writing if I request it and if they also say in writing that my chances of employment if that data was correctly received was very probable then I can sue for the potential loss of employment also due to the fact of the time frame was extended due to the downgrade (which no 30 day notice or any notification to me was given) for an entire year of that potential employment (I hope it did get there as I would love the job) it would come also to £35k plus extras that EA would have had to pay including lodgings they would provide for me to move to London.

Also the guy who I was dealing with and basically called me a liar and was unhelpful etc, name was Matthew (can't provide surname due to future legal reasons), I am hoping to get him the sack as a personal achievement.

So yeah it could turn out very good for me, and for the fact it is for a sizeable amount it won't be through the Small Claims Courts either.

A note to anyone else any contract etc you sign, get everything in writing, any correspondence you receive keep a hold of always and if something similar like myself happens know you have a right like I do to sue their ass off :)According to your post, whilst your BB was down a couple of times, it was also up for quite a bit of the weekend - how big was the file you were sending to EA?

Also, Unless EA Games state that they would definitely (not probably) have given you the job if the file/data you sent them wasn't late (and you actually haven't stated if it was or wasn't late), I can't see much chance of you getting a year's salary out of VM (imho).

GrimUpNorth
11-04-2011, 22:16
I'd email the CEOs office to try and sort it amicably before shouting "see you in court". The guys there are very good and can sort out all manner of problems.

If you decide that court is for you, just a word of warning - the larger the company the more they can drag it out and grind you down. Mrs Grims experience of legal action against a large PLC was very long and very expensve. It dragged on for the best part of 2 years, and although they settled out of court our final legal bill was in the order of £20,000. The strain on other aspects of your life are also great - it will test how strong your relationships are!

We got through it and came out the other end stronger (and slightly better off), but the outcome could have been so different.

Cheers
Grim

martyh
11-04-2011, 22:35
According to your post, whilst your BB was down a couple of times, it was also up for quite a bit of the weekend - how big was the file you were sending to EA?

Also, Unless EA Games state that they would definitely (not probably) have given you the job if the file/data you sent them wasn't late (and you actually haven't stated if it was or wasn't late), I can't see much chance of you getting a year's salary out of VM (imho).

as far as i can understand this the upload finished....... from #3

I had to sit up all night for it to finish, im tired and majorly ****ed off as you can expect.

as for the OP i think you are jumping the gun a bit, in all cases of unhappy customers in all industries the customer is expected to allow the company to make attempts to correct the situation in a reasonable time frame before any judge will allow compensation

Hugh
11-04-2011, 22:46
marty, thanks for clearing that up - at least he got it to them before start of work Monday; hard to see how that would affect the chances of employment (not really "late", is it?).

I am pretty sure if the OP told EA he had service interruptions/unplanned downgrades, they would have understood any delay in delivery of the data.

Anyhoo, DABhand, I hope you get a resolution with VM, and you get the job at EA.

martyh
11-04-2011, 22:59
marty, thanks for clearing that up - at least he got it to them before start of work Monday; hard to see how that would affect the chances of employment (not really "late", is it?).

I am pretty sure if the OP told EA he had service interruptions/unplanned downgrades, they would have understood any delay in delivery of the data.

Anyhoo, DABhand, I hope you get a resolution with VM, and you get the job at EA.

I agree ,i hope the DABhand gets it sorted but if he pursues the court case then i fear it will be very frustrating for him

Tali
12-04-2011, 01:05
You are right that the DPA affords you certain rights to ask to review personal data that his held about you. Unfortunately, the company holding the data also has the right to levy an administration fee to extract and present that data to you.

Hope the job interview went well. Good luck.

Peter_
12-04-2011, 05:51
Wow, what disgusting way VM have treated you. I hope you win in court, even if you don't win, I'll be happy for you for trying.
Do try to remember that you are only reading a one sided view of what has happened and the OP has been advised to contact the CEO's office for help with his issue plus the team on here has also offered help so it makes you wonder what is going on.

Unless you know the full facts you cannot make out of hand judgements.

Neo-Tech
12-04-2011, 07:02
Do try to remember that you are only reading a one sided view of what has happened and the OP has been advised to contact the CEO's office for help with his issue plus the team on here has also offered help so it makes you wonder what is going on.

Unless you know the full facts you cannot make out of hand judgements.
Hmm, true say. I'll shut up now and get the drinks :beer: :D

DABhand
12-04-2011, 08:36
Thanks for the good luck messages guys.

Yes I am sure it will be frustrating, which it already has since some VM staff base their logic not on common sense but data on the screen.. almost as bad as the Indians but hey :)

And Masque you say its only one sided, of course that is true for in here since nobody from VM who I dealt with would post about it. But lets be honest VM's track record for honesty and actually doing things right is well documented to be pretty poor.

Chrysalis
12-04-2011, 08:41
I know a few who started legal action against isp's but then settled out of court as offers were made.

One was for charges related to usage on a unlimited product.
Other was for been disconnected for copyright abuse but the isp had no proof.

Peter_
12-04-2011, 08:45
Thanks for the good luck messages guys.

Yes I am sure it will be frustrating, which it already has since some VM staff base their logic not on common sense but data on the screen.. almost as bad as the Indians but hey :)

And Masque you say its only one sided, of course that is true for in here since nobody from VM who I dealt with would post about it. But lets be honest VM's track record for honesty and actually doing things right is well documented to be pretty poor.
I have advised you to contact the CEO's office in the first instance as they will really want to help see my post above earlier in this thread.

Try it you will be surprised of how helpful they can be.

DABhand
12-04-2011, 09:27
I did, no response. Just because I didnt post that I did doesnt mean I didn't :P

Peter_
12-04-2011, 09:52
I did, no response. Just because I didnt post that I did doesnt mean I didn't :P
Well good luck anyway with your complaint, they should get back to you though.

carlwaring
12-04-2011, 10:39
Is this the same DABhand that I was always told to ignore by the VM Community Mods (but never did!) as he was always posting complete nonsense on there?

Maggy
12-04-2011, 11:55
Download Failed (1)

carlwaring
12-04-2011, 12:59
Minimalist humour. I like it :p: :tu:

Ignitionnet
12-04-2011, 13:25
Is this the same DABhand that I was always told to ignore by the VM Community Mods (but never did!) as he was always posting complete nonsense on there?

He isn't the only person who has had moderators in forums advise ignoring Mr Waring. Stones / glass houses. Let's leave what's outside this forum outside it, there's plenty of ammunition to be thrown at your good self from there and other forums.

martyh
12-04-2011, 13:27

It would appear so

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Uddingston-UBR-not-performing-well/td-p/388809/page/6

Ignitionnet
12-04-2011, 13:27
<Snip>

There was a fault, service is not guaranteed as fault free or any level of performance guaranteed.

That said I'm sure a solicitor will be happy to take your money from you, that is after all what they do.

carlwaring
12-04-2011, 13:44
... there's plenty of ammunition to be thrown at your good self from there and other forums.
Only if you don't like common sense and facts.

There was a fault, service is not guaranteed as fault free or any level of performance guaranteed.
I was going to menton this myself :) If DABhand needs a guaranteed service wth an SLA for faults then he's going to have to pay a lot more money.

Hugh
12-04-2011, 13:52
Let's focus on the topic, not the personalities.

GrimUpNorth
12-04-2011, 16:28
But lets be honest VM's track record for honesty and actually doing things right is well documented to be pretty poor.

I can't say I like it when people make comments like this without supplying any documented evidence to back it up.

Makes me think of the old adage about 68% of statistics being made up on the spot...

Cheers
Grim

martyh
12-04-2011, 16:34
I can't say I like it when people make comments like this without supplying any documented evidence to back it up.

Makes me think of the old adage about 68% of statistics being made up on the spot...

Cheers
Grim

and lets face it most of the time it's customers being vague,confusing or just plain wrong .It happens in all industries where customers have to choose something ,they invariably choose something they don't like or forget what they did choose when they come to take delivery or are so dissapointed with what they chose that the salesman must have got the order wrong

carlwaring
12-04-2011, 16:56
Indeed. Then, when I point these things out, I'm told to stop being a 'fanboi' :rolleyes:

DABhand
12-04-2011, 18:17
Ahhh Carl Mr Pendantic himself. Sneaking into tail end of threads like the rat that you are. Nothing changes.

The reason the vast majority of people don't like you Carl (and see I used don't like and not hate) is the way you talk to people and or try to biggy up VM.

You're usual strategy is this.... See person upset about VM and how they are treated you jump in with your OMG VM IS SO BRILLIANT-esque posts well most of the time it's you saying "My services is perfect" which of course doesn't make the OP happy or anyone else in the same boat.

You are like VM's CEO's little pet, almost similar to Baron Greenback's little caterpiller thing that sits there and bobs it head up and down trying to look cute but you detest it.

Now you can try and hijack this thread in the hopes of gaining supporters on your view. It won't work, just like it didn't work on the old usenet support groups and on other various forums.

And yes I would say you're a fanboi of VM, very much so.

carlwaring
12-04-2011, 18:53
Ahhh Carl Mr Pendantic himself. Sneaking into tail end of threads like the rat that you are. Nothing changes.
What the heck has when I joined in a thread got to do with anything :rolleyes:

The reason the vast majority of people...
Please cite a credible source for this statement of fact. Fact: The VAST MAJORITY of people don't even know me :rolleyes:

You're usual strategy is this....
Completely wrong, of course, but then I would expect nothing less from you.

DABhand
12-04-2011, 19:03
Carl really... you want me to start posting links? From official forums, DigitalSpy, here, and no doubt a couple of other places you lurk about.

Since you have came back you have a couple of posts that are in your usual style.

As for your "What the heck has when I joined in a thread got to do with anything" remark, that is your usual style of forum posting, which you have done here and which you have done countless times elsewhere also.

Carl your main problem is this, you have no tact, you don't read everything, a few posts up in this thread you talk about me wanting what seems to be a dedicated 50mb line... err no. And this shows proof you don't worry about the content of the thread but more on the lines of specific posts you can turn around and try to suit your own style.

You came into this thread and immediately attacked, stupid and childish, and you continued to do so here and there. That is you Carl to a nutshell.

You are the type of person who would witness a blind guy cross a street and get knocked down by a bus and you would watch as people check the guy is ok and when the time is right you would walk over and say, My green cross code is perfect and then walk away to watch from a distance as it distresses people.

Also not naming names as you know some well respected posters are not your fans either. Now some advice when you post make sure what you post does not try to make you look better or would infuriate the people in the thread, that way you won't have much people attack you back. Its common sense Carl, common sense.

Nopanic
12-04-2011, 19:06
Bit personal .. how about we talk about the OPs issues ..

jb66
12-04-2011, 19:10
Oooooohhhh get a roooooom

DABhand
12-04-2011, 19:10
Bit personal .. how about we talk about the OPs issues ..

Unfortunately Carl made it personal by attacking me in the first place, by insinuating I post utter nonsense. Which I don't, I post my views and/or any facts.. unfortunately Carl only belives in Carlspeak where his views must be the only one worth knowing.

In retrospect he is like the loyal VM staffy, who will use any excuse to tell a customer something isn't VM's fault but their own, or its something that happens out of their hands.

Case in point, being told yesterday on the phone when asking why did I have 50mb for months.. "The system has been known to lag and give out wrong docsis files".. utter tosh of course :P

Peter_
12-04-2011, 19:12
Unfortunately Carl made it personal by attacking me in the first place, by insinuating I post utter nonsense. Which I don't, I post my views and/or any facts.. unfortunately Carl only belives in Carlspeak where his views must be the only one worth knowing.

In retrospect he is like the loyal VM staffy, who will use any excuse to tell a customer something isn't VM's fault but their own, or its something that happens out of their hands.

Case in point, being told yesterday on the phone when asking why did I have 50mb for months.. "The system has been known to lag and give out wrong docsis files".. utter tosh of course :P
Try contacting the CEO's office again and include all relevant information.

Hugh
12-04-2011, 19:17
As previously requested, focus on the topic, not the personalities (or personal insults).

Final warning.

DABhand
12-04-2011, 19:17
Try contacting the CEO's office again and include all relevant information.

If I don't hear anything by another few days then I will re-send the email.

On a side note, the Indian girl who ordered the new modem and who stated clearly that because I had the VMNG300 would send out a new VMNG300, well the modem arrived guess what the old crappy Ambit one.

I am still convinced whatever she did to order that the system has either inadvertently switched me back to 20mb, or she seen she made the mistake and somehow-- don't know how managed to screw up my account to show I have been on 20mb since March last year, without re-aquiring 50mb.

Anyways, you don't have to repeat mail the CEO any more masque I am capable of remembering :)

carlwaring
12-04-2011, 19:18
Carl really... you want me to start posting links? From official forums, DigitalSpy, here, and no doubt a couple of other places you lurk about.
If you like. Would just prove you wrong though. No doubt you'll cherry-pick the ones you use though; ie none of the more uselful posts I've ever made.

Since you have came back you have a couple of posts that are in your usual style.
Came [sic] back where? :confused:

As for your "What the heck has when I joined in a thread got to do with anything" remark, that is your usual style of forum posting..
Yes. I post when I want to; whether that is the beginning, middle or end of any given thread :rolleyes:

....which you have done here and which you have done countless times elsewhere also.
Yes, because if you don't post at the very start of a thread you shouln't be allowed to post in it at all? :confused::rolleyes:

Carl your main problem is this...
I don't have any problems, thanks. Well, none that I want to discuss in a public forum.

....a few posts up in this thread you talk about me wanting what seems to be a dedicated 50mb line... err no.
Erm... no I didn't. What I said was if you want a service that is guaranteed with an SLA you're going to have to look elsewhere. In fact, it was someone else entirely who first suggested it.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35211095-post36.html

You are the type of person who would witness a blind guy cross a street and get knocked down by a bus and you would watch as people check the guy is ok...
Actually, I'd be the first person over there. So you're wrong... again. Just as you were in the paragraph above.

Unfortunately Carl made it personal by attacking me in the first place, by insinuating I post utter nonsense.
Which I have now proved :)

However, yes. I apoligise. My first post wasn't a particularly nice one. But then you banging on about taking VM to court even when people on here were trying to help you wasn't nice either.

You may suspect so. But that doesn't mean you are right and VM are wrong.

Peter_
12-04-2011, 19:20

On a side note, the Indian girl who ordered the new modem and who stated clearly that because I had the VMNG300 would send out a new VMNG300, well the modem arrived guess what the old crappy Ambit one.

It has never been possible for any agent to order a VMNG300 modem and if anyone ever says they have sent one you always receive the standard modem because that is the only code available.

I repeated about the CEO's office because they are usually the best place for help or you could accept Russ's offer of contacting the teams senior contacts within Virginmedia, your call.

DABhand
12-04-2011, 19:22
Like I said ill give it a few days to see if I get a response from the CEO via the email. If not ill try the senior end of things.

Failing that of course there will be only one option.

Appreciate you trying to help though :)

Peter_
12-04-2011, 19:23
Like I said ill give it a few days to see if I get a response from the CEO via the email. If not ill try the senior end of things.

Failing that of course there will be only one option.

Appreciate you trying to help though :)
Just trying to point you in the right direction so you can get your issue resolved.

jtaylor06
12-04-2011, 20:07
It would appear so

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Uddingston-UBR-not-performing-well/td-p/388809/page/6

Just noticed that post headings are coloured white.

Is it possible for someone to pass on to the admin that H1 defined in http://community.virginmedia.com/html/assets/global.css needs to be changed to #000000

:)

GrimUpNorth
12-04-2011, 20:30

I am still convinced whatever she did to order that the system has either inadvertently switched me back to 20mb, or she seen she made the mistake and somehow-- don't know how managed to screw up my account to show I have been on 20mb since March last year, without re-aquiring 50mb.

Anyways, you don't have to repeat mail the CEO any more masque I am capable of remembering :)

Now I may be wrong - wont be the first time - but here's my understanding...

As a rule the VMNG300 is not an 'available' product (though some of us have managed to blag one), and the only modems available on the system wont work with anything over 20mb. When I was having serious issues with the superhub, and before I managed to get the VMNG300, I had an ambit modem sent to me so if all else failed I could go back to 20mb. To do this the guy in retentions had to downgrade me to 20mb so the system would let him order the modem (ambit). I was then upgraded again whilst awaiting said delivery.

It looks to me that for what ever reason you were downgraded so a modem could be ordered!!

Cheers
Grim

Peter_
12-04-2011, 20:33
I had an ambit modem sent to me so if all else failed I could go back to 20mb. To do this the guy in retentions had to downgrade me to 20mb so the system would let him order the modem (ambit). I was then upgraded again whilst awaiting said delivery.

It looks to me that for what ever reason you were downgraded so a modem could be ordered!!

Cheers
Grim
No we can order standard modems on an account without any need to downgrade, so whatever that guy you spoke to did was a pointless exercise as I could order one for any 50Mb customer but they will not work and offshore seem to think they are the correct modem.

GrimUpNorth
12-04-2011, 20:40
No we can order standard modems on an account without any need to downgrade, so whatever that guy you spoke to did was a pointless exercise as I could order one for any 50Mb customer but they will not work and offshore seem to think they are the correct modem.

Told you I might be wrong :dunce:

Cheers
Grim

Peter_
12-04-2011, 20:42
Told you I might be wrong :dunce:

Cheers
Grim
I would not be surprised if he did go to the trouble of downgrading you for no reason though.:D

Technical Support agents cannot downgrade anyone though.

GrimUpNorth
12-04-2011, 20:54
I would not be surprised if he did go to the trouble of downgrading you for no reason though.:D

Technical Support agents cannot downgrade anyone though.

He described himself as the 'Customer Retentions Broadband Specialist' and makes outbound calls by appointment.

Cheers
Grim

Peter_
12-04-2011, 21:01
He described himself as the 'Customer Retentions Broadband Specialist' and makes outbound calls by appointment.

Cheers
Grim
Now that is a title, they usually ring us to order modems while you are on the phone hence the use of the hold music so I wonder what he actually does.;)

GrimUpNorth
12-04-2011, 21:13
Now that is a title, they usually ring us to order modems while you are on the phone hence the use of the hold music so I wonder what he actually does.;)

Good question, he's told me on the occasions I've spoken to him that his main purpose is to sort out broadband issues and hence stop customers from leaving. He is based in retentions and spends his afternoons making calls. Can't say much more about him as this is a public forum and he hasn't given me permission to disclose his details!

Cheers
Grim

Peter_
12-04-2011, 21:20
Good question, he's told me on the occasions I've spoken to him that his main purpose is to sort out broadband issues and hence stop customers from leaving. He is based in retentions and spends his afternoons making calls. Can't say much more about him as this is a public forum and he hasn't given me permission to disclose his details!

Cheers
Grim
We often get calls from specialists helping customers but they need us to run the checks, maybe he was actually trained to use our tools which would make a change.

DABhand
20-04-2011, 09:04
While waiting for legal proceedings which of course I cannot comment on for legal reasons.

I thought I would give an update of VM hell I have received.

1. Shortly after this debacle, the replacement modem arrived and it was the old 20mb modem, yeah well done Ms India a replacement VMNG300 my ass (although I had a rough idea I wouldn't get one anyway)

2. Intermittent services off and on.

3. Get email on Friday 15/4/11 but only received on Sat the next day due to downtime and problems with pop3 server, basically it said "Congratulations a technician will be with you shortly on 19/4/11 between 8-1pm to install your new services". I am like WTF is this about? Apparently I logged onto ebilling or something and upgraded to 50mb and a tech was coming out to install my new services (I had a eligible modem and router to handle 50mb so didn't need a tech anyways)... What so bad about this?? I didnt order it, didn't log into web billing etc. I had to wait the long weekend before I could call to cancel (thank god it was Tuesday it was booked and not Monday morning or it would have been chaos), thankfully got someone from a local customer centre who were genuinely sympathetic and believed what I said, if it was India or England I would have gotten a crap load of excuses and tried to believe it was my fault. So anyways got it sorted. Phew.

4. For 12 hrs I had no internet on Tuesday, was getting worried that perhaps this miraculous 50mb upgrade I somehow ordered and then cancelled may have somehow killed my net all together and perhaps shown on my account I dont have any. So phoned, damn missed 8pm deadline for customer support... ok has to be India... /facepalm... do this and do that and do the fandango ... like the Queen song there was Thunderbolts and Lightning... Not only could the girl just check if the UBR was faulty or if my account still shown I had a connection of any sort listed, I had to do a crappy 10 minutes of unplugging everything.... which I didn't cause I am fed up with these silly follow the list type calls.

Finally she says no problems at Uddingston UBR, cool to a degree, and my account says I have broadband, cool again to a degree, asked if I wanted tech to come out... said no as I know for a fact its not me, can tell the way the modem boots up and by watching the modem stats and logs that there is a problem with the modem synching with the upstream channel and too high power (13dbmv higher) but when its a normal day its back to 45dbmv rather than 58-59.

Then I ask what about compensation for all this disgrace I have had for 3 weeks, she offers a fiver! A fecking FIVER. I said £5 doesn't cut it for 3 weeks... she says "Sorry sir, but the system shows me you have had one bad day out of the last 3 days.." *Insert Bohemian Rhapsody lyrics here* I said to her clearly NO not good enough I will call customer support following day to get a proper refund, thanked her (dunno why) and left pleasantly before blowing up.

5. Just got off phone, asked about refund and Mr India (why India again ffs) "I will give you another £5 credit"... what who where when why!! "Another £5?" Perhaps I misheard him and he was offering £5 also... so I asked no I was offered £5 yesterday and that isn't good enough for 3 weeks. He then explains I had £5 off my account already since yesterday.... Ms India put it on even after I said NO, the stupid bitch. So I said £10 all in still doesn't cut it, 20mb without discounts normally is £37 a month.. he tried the discount this and that excuse.. I wasn't buying it and explained why the discounts where there.. He then decided ok ill add a further £10 as credit to account, for a total of £15.. That I was more happy with.

6. ????? Who knows whats to come next this month... Stay tuned for more exciting episodes of VM is **** at Customer Support.

carlwaring
20-04-2011, 09:06
While waiting for legal proceedings which of course I cannot comment on for legal reasons.
It's only been a week or so. There's no way any proceedings have started yet.
...thanked her (dunno why)
Out of common courtesy, seeing as she was only doing her job? I'm sure you'd be quick enough to point it if they were rude to you!
6. ????? Who knows whats to come next this month... Stay tuned for more exciting episodes of VM is **** at Customer Support.
Yet you "cannot comment for legal reasons"?

Hugh
20-04-2011, 09:07
DABhand, whilst I understand your frustration, do not use words which activate the Site swear filter -this is against CF T&C's.

---------- Post added at 09:07 ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 ----------

It's only been a week or so. There's no way any proceedings have started yet.He did say "waiting"...

Peter_
20-04-2011, 09:09
1. Shortly after this debacle, the replacement modem arrived and it was the old 20mb modem, yeah well done Ms India a replacement VMNG300 my ass (although I had a rough idea I wouldn't get one anyway)

I have stated on numerous occasions that we have never been able to order a VMNG300 modem as they could only be replaced by technicians and as we now only issue Superhubs that is all an engineer would supply if he came to your property.

carlwaring
20-04-2011, 09:09
He did say "waiting"...
Fair enough. Therefore he can comment until legal proceedings begin. As, indeed, he is doing.

DABhand
20-04-2011, 09:16
Fair enough; but he can comment until legal proceedings begin. As, indeed, he is doing.

Carl if your not going to comment civilly about anything, but rather nitpick like you usually do then with all due respect go elsewhere to another thread, forum or whatever Tivo fansite there is out there.

I can't comment on fully on the events of what happened initially, anything afterwards is nothing to do with the future case so can talk about it.

Common Sense comes into play here Carl.

Again with all due respect if you are not willing to play nice, then you can take your pedantic mind and [Mod Edit] thanks.

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 ----------

I have stated on numerous occasions that we have never been able to order a VMNG300 modem as they could only be replaced by technicians and as we now only issue Superhubs that is all an engineer would supply if he came to your property.

Like also what I said in my initial post Masque I had a reason to believe they were stopped from being supplied to customers.

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

DABhand, whilst I understand your frustration, do not use words which activate the Site swear filter -this is against CF T&C's.

---------- Post added at 09:07 ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 ----------

He did say "waiting"...

Yeah sorry Hugh, brain fart and typed it out, usually I say feck or something similar.. but will make sure not to use naughty words :)

carlwaring
20-04-2011, 09:19
I can't comment on fully on the events of what happened initially, anything afterwards is nothing to do with the future case so can talk about it.
Is that what your lawyer told you? If so, fair enough.

However, seeing as you are still having problems, I would have thought that the whole thing was part of your case.

Oh, and it's an open and public, forum so I'll comment where and when I like :)

Peter_
20-04-2011, 09:23
Like also what I said in my initial post Masque I had a reason to believe they were stopped from being supplied to customers.

We swapped to the Superhub but we have never been able to send out the VMNG300 and getting an Ambit 256 when an agent promises a modem is par for the course but usually not sent by a UK agent.

DABhand
20-04-2011, 09:26
Masque why are we having this repeated conversation about this modem that we both agree on would have had no chance to be sent to me :P

Maggy
20-04-2011, 09:28
How about you both discuss this in a civilised manner and use less of the childish attitude.Even better put each other on ignore.

You are both in danger of pushing your posting privileges to extremes and having the infraction system used against you if you both persist in this childish confrontational attitude towards one another.

---------- Post added at 09:28 ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 ----------

Masque why are we having this repeated conversation about this modem that we both agree on would have had no chance to be sent to me :P

Possibly because Masque is actually trying to be helpful.

Peter_
20-04-2011, 09:28
It was slightly different as I advised you of what happens so they are different posts.

DABhand
20-04-2011, 09:36
It was slightly different as I advised you of what happens so they are different posts.

Understand, just felt we were going about in circles for a bit :)

Peter_
20-04-2011, 09:43
Understand, just felt we were going about in circles for a bit :)
No problem as I can understand the frustration when an agent promises something they cannot fulfil.;)

DABhand
20-04-2011, 13:30
Net went down again at exact same time as yesterday. But... for a laugh my very very old 256 Ambit modem got on fine, which got me thinking why even though technically im activated for the VMNG300 the Ambit worked fine.

But since I had the new one I called up to get it activated, may aswell use it since they wasted cash sending it to me >.<

So tests went fine, which leads me to believe perhaps the VMNG300 triple downstream channel usage on 20mb = fail or perhaps the upstream RxMER + UBR + 20mb Docsis file = fail.

As a test we went back to the VMNG300 and he sent a 50mb docsis, got on fine instantly. Then sent a 20mb docsis and all hell broke loose.

So somehow the VMNG300 and 20mb Docsis file and my UBR hated each other. Or maybe was coincidence, but ill keep an eye on this not so great Ambit 256 see if things do well.

DABhand
20-04-2011, 16:53
Unfortunately the Ambit 256 modem is just as bad, so back on phone this time I get a UK tech, and had a good chat and a wee laugh. We came to the same agreement the upstream power levels are too high, finally accepted a tech to come out.... but I am sure it is nothing to do with here.. So shall wait and see.

craigj2k12
20-04-2011, 17:49
sounds to me like the docsis 2 (or is it 1 for 20mb?) is oversubscribed in your area, when on the 20mb, your modem will connect to the docsis 1/2? (not sure) network, and on the 50mb it will connect to the docsis 3 network, you are best to upgrade to 30mb as this is the same price as the 20mb, but uses the docsis 3 network. If you already have a VMNG300 then you should be able to keep that to avoid the superhub, you might still have to pay the £30 activation charge, but if you push hard enough (tell them that 20mb is unusable) they will probably waive the charge

DABhand
21-04-2011, 05:17
sounds to me like the docsis 2 (or is it 1 for 20mb?) is oversubscribed in your area, when on the 20mb, your modem will connect to the docsis 1/2? (not sure) network, and on the 50mb it will connect to the docsis 3 network, you are best to upgrade to 30mb as this is the same price as the 20mb, but uses the docsis 3 network. If you already have a VMNG300 then you should be able to keep that to avoid the superhub, you might still have to pay the £30 activation charge, but if you push hard enough (tell them that 20mb is unusable) they will probably waive the charge

30mb would be great but not for me for two reasons..

1. The superhub
2. My area can't get it yet.

amgard
21-04-2011, 09:33
You do realise that unless you informed him at the beginning of the call that you were recording the call that the recording is inadmissible as you can be construed as leading him on.

Just a little thought and you would get a better response from the email address above.

Just an aside, but the opening telephone message from VM says "this call MAY be recorded", hence permission is already given. Might not be the spirit in which it is intended, but nevertheless permission to record is granted.

Hugh
21-04-2011, 09:35
From VM's side - if no similar message is given from the caller's side, no permission can have been agreed.

carlwaring
21-04-2011, 09:35
Correct That is telling you that they may record the call; not giving you permission. There is no other way to correctly interpret that message.

@Hugh: "SNAP!" :D

Might not be the spirit in which it is intended...
So you actually know you're wrong but advocate doing it anyway? :confused:

Peter_
21-04-2011, 09:37
Just an aside, but the opening telephone message from VM says "this call MAY be recorded", hence permission is already given. Might not be the spirit in which it is intended, but nevertheless permission to record is granted.
If you want to record a call to possibly use as evidence of your conversation due to previous issues then you must ask the agents permission and that should form part of the recording, we inform you and therefore you must do the same.

I would have no issue with recording me and would grant permission but would terminate the call if I felt that the person was trying to use leading questions or such like.

amgard
21-04-2011, 09:45
Correct That is telling you that they may record the call; not giving you permission. There is no other way to correctly interpret that message.

@Hugh: "SNAP!" :D

VM are using the word 'may' in the sense of 'might', ie the call might be recorded - or not, but the word 'may' is also used as granting permission, so the phrase the call MAY be recorded, does indeed grant permission. To say there is
"no other way to correctly interpret that message." is untrue.

---------- Post added at 09:45 ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 ----------

No - just pointing out sloppy use of the English language.

pip08456
21-04-2011, 09:50

He's just pointing out, correctly, the ambiguity of the statement. It is not implicit in its use being just for them and may indeed convey permission to the other party.

carlwaring
21-04-2011, 09:51
Well three other people have, independently of each other, told him he's are wrong. :) Perhaps it is ambiguous, but well know what it actually means. So perhaps it's not that ambiguous after all ;)

amgard
21-04-2011, 09:55
If you want to record a call to possibly use as evidence of your conversation due to previous issues then you must ask the agents permission and that should form part of the recording, we inform you and therefore you must do the same.

I would have no issue with recording me and would grant permission but would terminate the call if I felt that the person was trying to use leading questions or such like.

In actual fact, as the opening message says the call may be recorded for training purposes, neither side could use the recording for use in court, unless, as Masque says, I stated the fact before the conversation.. but in that case I would have a recording that could be used in court and VM wouldn't ;)

pip08456
21-04-2011, 09:55
Well three other people have, independently of each other, told him he's are wrong. :) Perhaps it is ambiguous, but well know what it actually means. So perhaps it's not that ambiguous after all ;)

If it is abiguous then it can mean both. The other three people have stated what they interpret it to mean which may also be what VM intends it to mean.

Hugh
21-04-2011, 10:02
Absolutely, pip - it's our opinion that's what it means, not what the law states it means (as I am not a lawyer).

Only the judge can decide....:)

(life is rarely binary, mostly fuzzy)

Peter_
21-04-2011, 10:14
In actual fact, as the opening message says the call may be recorded for training purposes, neither side could use the recording for use in court, unless, as Masque says, I stated the fact before the conversation.. but in that case I would have a recording that could be used in court and VM wouldn't ;)
We have around 2 calls per month recorded for training and quality purposes nothing more.

amgard
21-04-2011, 11:47
We have around 2 calls per month recorded for training and quality purposes nothing more.

About what I thought.

It's not to say there haven't been conversations when I wished I had recorded them though, (and probably the same for you ;) )