PDA

View Full Version : Scrap men playing Steptoe theme.

Gary L
06-04-2011, 14:14
A scrap van was driving around blasting the Steptoe & Son theme through a megaphone on the van.

LOL don't know whether it's nostalgia or we really are heading that way :D

Maggy
06-04-2011, 16:20
They just ring a hand bell round our way.:erm:

Jimmy-J
06-04-2011, 16:34
They shout what sounds like "Ragbone! Any old rags!" As a kid, I remember the old rag and bone man would have some bow and arrows made from bamboo and string or balloons on a stick, also bamboo (the sticks, not the balloons.) to give out to kids who gave them any old clothes etc.

They seemed to have all vanished, but now they're making a comeback.

Mick Fisher
06-04-2011, 16:36
I'm surprised there is any worthwhile scrap for them to collect now the local councils gather it all up for free - by order. And if that wasn't enough we have to sort it for them - by order.

When I was a lad we used to get a bit of pocket money from taking old newspapers, lemonade bottles and any metal we found to the local scrappie.

Maggy
06-04-2011, 16:50
I'm surprised there is any worthwhile scrap for them to collect now the local councils gather it all up for free - by order. And if that wasn't enough we have to sort it for them - by order.

When I was a lad we used to get a bit of pocket money from taking old newspapers, lemonade bottles and any metal we found to the local scrappie.

Not everyone has transport to get to the local recycling centre and not all councils will collect large items for free.The last time I had a fridge freezer to get rid of it cost me £15 to the council.

Mick Fisher
06-04-2011, 18:22
Not everyone has transport to get to the local recycling centre and not all councils will collect large items for free.The last time I had a fridge freezer to get rid of it cost me £15 to the council.
Very true Maggie. I had to pay something like that amount in advance to get rid of a fridge. They did eventually collect it after it stood in the garden for 18 months.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek with my comment but sadley omitted the smiley. :dozey: