PDA

View Full Version : Mona Lisa mystery could be solved by woman's remains

Maggy
06-04-2011, 09:36
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12982898

Researchers will attempt to identify the woman who sat for Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa, by digging up the remains of an Italian noblewoman.
Art historian Silvano Vinceti believes that by locating the remains of Lisa Gherardini, he can prove whether or not she was the artist's model.
A recently discovered death certificate suggests she died in 1542 and is interred in a convent in Florence.
The excavation will begin at Saint Orsola later this month.

Much as I respect the wishing to clear up historical mysteries I think this is disrespectful.What if the result is inconclusive?Do they go looking for another grave to dig up?
What are your thoughts?

Gary L
06-04-2011, 09:44
I think he should get a hobby or something.

Chris
06-04-2011, 10:26

Much as I respect the wishing to clear up historical mysteries I think this is disrespectful.What if the result is inconclusive?Do they go looking for another grave to dig up?
What are your thoughts?

I think there isn't really a mystery. The only historians who choose to doubt that Lisa Gherardini sat for the painting are the ones who are secretly hoping to have an overblown, low-budget documentary made about themselves on a satellite TV channel that nobody watches. Or on Channel 5, which is more or less the same thing.

Digging up human remains to settle a non-argument about a painting is a little over the top IMO.

Pog66
06-04-2011, 11:48
I must admit I did have to double check that the article was not from April 1st!!

joglynne
06-04-2011, 13:12
I find it difficult to understand why we need to know who the sitter was for this painting as in this instance the painting's worth is in who painted it not who sat there being painted.

The only way that this investigation could be legitimised in my eyes would be if it was descendants of Lisa Gherardini who wished to make the identification. Even then I would still question their need to do such a thing. Let the dead rest in peace.

Maggy
06-04-2011, 13:13
I find it difficult to understand why we need to know who the sitter was for this painting as in this instance the painting's worth is in who painted it not who sat there being painted.

The only way that this investigation could be legitimised in my eyes would be if it was descendants of Lisa Gherardini who wished to make the identification. Even then I would still question their need to do such a thing. Let the dead rest in peace.

:tu:

budwieser
09-04-2011, 13:22
I think he should get a hobby or something.

Painting is supposed to be quite theraputic i hear. :D

---------- Post added at 13:22 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

What are your thoughts?

I feel that this is so wrong.:td:

TheNorm
10-04-2011, 10:13
... secretly hoping to have an overblown, low-budget documentary made about themselves on a satellite TV channel that nobody watches. Or on Channel 5, which is more or less the same thing.....

Well, she was also a topless model, which will increase the viewing figures.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2482458/Mona-Lisas-topless-pose-for-Leonardo-da-Vinci-is-unveiled.html

Hom3r
10-04-2011, 11:56
I've also heard it was a self portrait, his 'inner woman'.

Russ
10-04-2011, 11:59
I've also heard it was a self portrait, his 'inner woman'.

Maybe not so 'inner' - Da Vinci was widely believed to be shall we say, a "flamboyant' male.

Hom3r
10-04-2011, 17:58
Maybe not so 'inner' - Da Vinci was widely believed to be shall we say, a "flamboyant' male.

I was trying to word it without offending.

Russ
10-04-2011, 18:08
The rumour is he was gay and very effeminate, I don't see what's offensive about that.

Paul
10-04-2011, 18:08
What are your thoughts?
That 99.9% of people really dont care who she was. :)

martyh
10-04-2011, 18:38
That 99.9% of people really dont care who she was. :)

I always thought that the mystery of the model was 50% of the appeal of the painting :shrug:

papasmurf
11-04-2011, 01:53
When you dig up a previously buried body, in a known grave, it's an exhumation, not an excavation.

Typical un-educated ****-pot journalism. :dozey: