PDA

View Full Version : Mobile 'Phone in USA

Raistlin
05-04-2011, 22:25
So .....

I might be travelling to the USA in a few weeks.

I'm currently using an iPhone 3GS on an O2 pay monthly contract.

Will the iPhone work in the USA? I'm guessing that it should ....

What am I likely to need to do to be able to use the 'phone in the USA? I'm assuming I just need to get O2 to lift any international bars on the contract?

What do I need to be aware of in terms of costs? Do I still get free texts when abroad? If I want to text someone in USA (but who is using a UK mobile) does that count as a free text or does it get charged as it's in another country?

Anybody got any experience travelling in the USA and having a 'phone? What's the best solution?

Paul K
05-04-2011, 22:28
Enable roaming and data roaming if you must use it. Texts are not free and quite expensive as are calls. You can get local sims that are cheaper once you are over there but to be honest you are best off not using your mobile.
http://www.o2.co.uk/international/
http://www.o2international.co.uk/standardrate_and_data.aspx

Raistlin
05-04-2011, 22:33
[...]to be honest you are best off not using your mobile.

Thanks Paul :(

Travelling with my GF, ideally want some way to keep in touch in case we get separated etc.

---------- Post added at 22:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:32 ----------

Anybody know what the cost of cheap 'Pay as you Talk' type 'phones are in the USA? I guess we could get one of those each, that would probably do the job.

Peter_
05-04-2011, 23:02
You always see in american police dramas they talk about disposible phones which according to this article should cost around $15 with 60 minutes call time, I cannot find a direct link but it seems Walmart is one place to buy them.

if you are wondering, where to buy disposable cell phones, then you can search online or visit a store in your area. The best disposable cell phones are available for just $ 15 with basic cell phone plan. Many times, disposable cell phones back to plastic recycling center, you can get a discount of $ 2 to $ 5. Its disposable cell phone number will be 60 minutes of airtime and a hands-free accessory. You can even add more minutes to your cell phone number disposable buy purchase additional airtime.
http://socyberty.com/issues/disposable-cell-phone/

Shadow Demon UK
05-04-2011, 23:20
When i went one text was charged as 4 texts from your monthly allowance. Calls are expensive, as is using the internet. I didn't need to lift any international bars before i went, this is with o2. So if you plan on just texting you should be fine.

---------- Post added at 23:20 ---------- Previous post was at 23:04 ----------

You might need to ignore what i said about 4:1 texts from abroad. You only get that if you took your contract out before February 2010 it seems, as o2 changed the charges after that date.

Tezcatlipoca
05-04-2011, 23:43
The iPhone works fine in the US. I used my old 3G perfectly fine a couple of years ago when Mrs D & I were over there.

Whatever you do, don't use any data. Roaming data is a rip off.

Data roaming should be disabled by default (under Settings > General > Network). To be extra safe, you can also disable Mobile Data (same section) and Location Services (Settings).

If you must use the internet, stick to WiFi. I made use of free WiFi whenever possible, and only had to pay for it in a couple of places.

Texts are free to receive, but you get charged for incoming & outgoing phone calls. Cost depends on tariff.

As Shadow Demon UK said, O2 used to let you use your inclusive SMS allowance to send roaming text messages, with one roaming text message taking up four of your inclusive text messages.

If you still have a fixed number of text messages as part of your O2 tariff then you should still be able to use them towards sending roaming text messages (but should double check).

If you are on one of the newer tariffs, with "Unlimited SMS", then you cannot use inclusive messages to send roaming messages.

You should also divert all calls to Voicemail, or switch on O2CallAlert, otherwise you'll get charged everytime someone leaves you a voicemail message (as it's effectively the same as receiving a phone call while roaming). See here: http://www.o2.co.uk/support/generalhelp/howdoi/voicemail901/voicemail901abroad

Lord Nikon
06-04-2011, 05:09
Thanks Paul :(

Travelling with my GF, ideally want some way to keep in touch in case we get separated etc.

---------- Post added at 22:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:32 ----------

Anybody know what the cost of cheap 'Pay as you Talk' type 'phones are in the USA? I guess we could get one of those each, that would probably do the job.

If you have a couple of unlocked quad band handsets lying around take them with you, walk into an AT&T shop and ask for a pair of GoPhone Sims, top them up and use them while there, it's cheaper by far and easier. Depending on how long you're there for top them up by up to $25 and use them pretty much exclusively.

Of course, if the area you're going to or through doesn't have good AT&T coverage you may be better with TracFone or another network. Remember though that you also pay for incoming calls in the US as well as incoming SMS messages.

candy1567
06-04-2011, 08:14
wat we did wen travelling to USA was to send mms instead of txt messages.

02 charged 45p for each txt wen we went there 2yrs ago, but is was only 20p to send a mms (multimedia text)

The charge u for incomming and outgoing calls, but as we were only there for 10 days, it wasn't such a problem.

Juliex

Fingy
06-04-2011, 10:16
We usually go to Walmart and pick up 2 cheap PAYG phones, depending on how far apart you might be we have also used walkie talkies picked up from the same place so we could split up in theme parks and keep in contact. If your UK phones are unlocked you could pick up payg sim cards.
For calling 'home' we have a phone card which we share between the whole family as quite a few of us travel to the states from time to time and just top it up.

papasmurf
11-04-2011, 02:18
I too was going to suggest FRS walkie-talkies. Depending on your distance apart, of course. They are very cheap, and very reliable within about a mile range.