PDA

View Full Version : change routers NO IP ADDRESS

lida
05-04-2011, 16:06
Hi this is my first post here and I have studied the forums and like the way posts are answered here, so I joined.

The point is that until about 3 weeks ago I could change routers or spoof the mac addresss on my netgear router and immediately after switching the router and my NTL 250 cable modem off, then waiting 30 seconds, switch on the modem, wait for a steady green light, then 30 seconds after that switch the router on and I get an IP address.

One day about 3 weeks ago I was testing some routers I had been given that I knew to be working and must have changed mac address about 6 or 7 times in the space of about 2 hours. On the last occassion I could not get an IP address and it doesnt matter what I do I cannot get an ip address if my mac address changes. If I try to change the mac address and get frustrated then change the mac address back to the original it still wont pick up an ip address. even though I go through all the procedures in the correct way.
I know the upstream dbmv and downstream are working fine as I had an engineer out yesterday as prior to that I had some issues regarding low downstream and high upstream levels.
I thought having that sorted out would cure this irritating problem where if the internet cuts out I have to wait two hours or more to get an ip address.

I have a lot of experience in troubleshooting networks but cant seem to sort this out. Does anyonelse have similar problems or do you know of any reason why VM would have crippled my ability to change mac addresses at will on the routers.

Incase you are wondering why I like to change the mac address or the router its because sometimes i experiment with my home network a lot and various security measures etc, also i like to familiarise myself with different routers and get given a lot of unused and no longer needed hardware which i love to mess with

tl;dr
If I change the router behind my ntl 250 cable modem, or if i spoof the mac address on my routr I cannot get an ip address from VM for about 2 hours, even if i change the router back to the original or reset the router to its original mac address, however if neither the router changes or the mac address and i switch the modem or router off and back on, it will get a ip address straight away. I want to know why the mac address changing is a problem to VM or what issue could be the cause

Peter_
05-04-2011, 16:09
You are lucky that you did not lose your connection after 4 changes of equipment as you would have filled the host table on the uBR hence your inability to connect and usually it lasts 24 hours.

lida
05-04-2011, 16:19
ah ok thank you !
Thank you so much for theanswer. I knew it must be something like that

given the fact i love messing with networks is there any way to get VM to give me the ability to have more than 4 changes in a 24 hour period?
Like get them to say hey youre great yeah heres the ability for you to have 200 changes a day if u want

LOL well I can dream I suppose

I am not disappointed with that btw -
now i know why it happens I can limit myself so at least i know its not a fault and i am very happy with the vm service
so its no biggie in reality

Nopanic
05-04-2011, 17:22
Its a part of security so no, not something that can be changed. :)