PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Another unhappy 50mb upgrade

chamoan
05-04-2011, 01:19
Ok I know I am not the first to complain about 50mb after getting the upgrade.
But I wonder if anyone can shed some light on where I stand as regards being able to downgrade back to 20mb? My 50mb on newsgroups is absolutely shocking, 3mb! Yet I do a speedtest on speedtest.net and all seems ok http://www.speedtest.net/result/1236623036.png I am really fed up of having slower newsgroup access on 50mb, than I did on 20mb. Had I realised how shockingly bad it is, I would of never upgraded in the first place. What's the odds getting my old modem back, and going back to 20mb?

pip08456
05-04-2011, 01:22
As newsgroups are traffic shaped it matters not which package you have, you could be on 100Mb and still have no improved download from newsgroups during the traffic shaping period.

chamoan
05-04-2011, 01:26
I have not been home all day, or evening, did not get back till gone midnight, so I can't possibly be traffic shaped? And I'm not really that much of a heavy user, maybe 100-200gb a month. But still, 3mb is ridiculous. At least on my 20mb, I could get 18/19mb and it was stable. Not only that, with my old modem (MotorolaSB4100 I think it was) I could at least force it to change my I.P. something that does not seem possible with this new "superhub" All round I am totally unhappy with it, and would take my old 20mb and modem back in a shot.

pip08456
05-04-2011, 01:59
Traffic shaping is not dependant by how much you have downloaded. that is traffic management, only applicable to the lower tiers. After midnight things should be ok unless everyone else in your area is hammering the network after midnight.

foddy
05-04-2011, 06:35
Traffic shaping is not dependant by how much you have downloaded. that is traffic management, only applicable to the lower tiers. After midnight things should be ok unless everyone else in your area is hammering the network after midnight.
If it is traffic-shaping, then does that mean the 50Mbps network is much more heavily congested than the 20Mbps one? As an alternative, could it be flood-detection enabled on the SH... or something similar?

jb66
05-04-2011, 07:44
No it's virgins policy, they restrict newsgroup during peak tines so other folk have a decent connection