PDA

View Full Version : Greenhouse glass / washing

LSainsbury
03-04-2011, 09:24
Hi,

Just had an old greenhouse put up in the garden and the glass is rather dirty.

What's the best way to wash it down?

Fairy liquid / water?

Don't think car glass cleaner will cut it this time - it's rather green in places!

Russ
03-04-2011, 09:27
My father sometimes mixes vinegar in with a bucket of very warm water to clean his with - he's pretty liberal with how much goes in too. I've seen him empty half a bottle of it in to the bucket before now. Use a scrubbing brush if it's particularly manky and once you've managed to clean it up, apply some decent car polish to make it easier to remove any more gunk in the future.

LSainsbury
03-04-2011, 09:34
My father sometimes mixes vinegar in with a bucket of very warm water to clean his with - he's pretty liberal with how much goes in too. I've seen him empty half a bottle of it in to the bucket before now. Use a scrubbing brush if it's particularly manky and once you've managed to clean it up, apply some decent car polish to make it easier to remove any more gunk in the future.

Thanks Russ - car polish?? Uhhhh? To clean glass? You mean car glass cleaner surley? (And don't call me Surley...) :D

martyh
03-04-2011, 09:36
Thanks Russ - car polish?? Uhhhh? To clean glass? You mean car glass cleaner surley? (And don't call me Surley...) :D

no he means car polish ,or windowlean its more a paste which is very slightly abrasive so will remove gunk easier

Russ
03-04-2011, 09:42
no he means car polish ,or windowlean its more a paste which is very slightly abrasive so will remove gunk easier

Absolutely. Something like Mer (http://www.merproducts.com/index.aspx) is good because as well as making it harder for further green stuff to stick, its abrasive qualities will help get rid of any hidden impurities on the glass.

LSainsbury
03-04-2011, 09:47
Well that's why I questioned it 'cus that's the stuff you use on the bodywork - i.e. metal!

soup dragon
03-04-2011, 09:54
and you can get a free sample from that link!!

Taf
03-04-2011, 11:18
However you clean it, you have to be VERY gentle as Horti grade glass is like eggshells.