PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding a house

Zee
29-03-2011, 19:35
If someone wanted to knock a house down in a residential area, such as a semi detached house would the house need to be built in the exact same style as it was before?

Taf
29-03-2011, 20:21
That someone would have to make sure the neighbours in the other side of the building were OK with demolition first I reckon!

budwieser
29-03-2011, 20:25
That someone would have to make sure the neighbours in the other side of the building were OK with demolition first I reckon!
:D

Zee
29-03-2011, 20:26
No i was just asking because one house in my area blew up (gas leak) and they have just started rebuilding it, i was wondering if it would have to be the same design, or could they make it different, also another house on my road is also being rebuilt

martyh
29-03-2011, 20:32
No i was just asking because one house in my area blew up (gas leak) and they have just started rebuilding it, i was wondering if it would have to be the same design, or could they make it different, also another house on my road is also being rebuilt

No it doesn't but there are restrictions ,it would have to be in keeping with the rest of the neighbourhood and of course meet all the planning requirements which would be small because it is not classed as a 'new build' but a rebuild .there were a few homes demolished near me by a developer who built 1 executive home on the land that previously had 2 homes on it

Dai
29-03-2011, 20:32
And after that you have all the other restrictions such as listed building or conservation area restrictions.

Lots of hassles.

Zee
29-03-2011, 21:18
On my street there are 3 different style of home, we got these

http://img.findaproperty.com/devereletting/sl18280093.jpg and then we got some of these http://imganuncios.mitula.net/cockfosters_road_barnet_92782851740352166.jpg

and then we got some edwardian bungalows too so im guessing it would have to be one of the 3 styles and not just the one attached to it?

martyh
29-03-2011, 21:29
All depends on the planners ,they don't always insist on like for like ,just a building that doesn'r look out of place the two houses you've shown look to have been built by private developers between the 20's and 40's and are completely different styles so i should think there wont be any problem as long as the new house is tastefully done and in keeping

MovedGoalPosts
29-03-2011, 22:51
There are various standards that will have to be met.

Firstly Planning Permission. If it is not an exact replica (design, appearance, materials) then consent could be needed. If the size has changed then consent will probably be essential. The local authority will have notified immediate neighbours if a planning application has been made. Note that some residential matters are deemed to be permitted development and wouldn't need planning. These include some small extensions.

Building Regulations. This sets the construction standards. Inevitably they will need consent, but that is between the builder / owner and local authority or an approved inspector such as the NHBC. The neighbours would not get involved in this. As a rebuild, even if the styel of the property is the same, the house will need to meet today's standards for energy efficiency and such like so there will be some changes in the way it looks. Whether that is significant for a planning application can be subjective.

Building Insurance polices generally provide for rebuilding as a modern equivalent, not an exact replica. That is because the property has to comply with today's standards for things like heating, energy, wiring, glazing and so on. The only time that would change is for the listed building where things are supposed to be conserved.

One often forgotten piece of legislation is the Party Wall etc Act 1996. For a semi detached proptey inevitably the replacement building will need attachment to the Party Wall. There may also be excavations for foundations within 3 metres of foundations to an existing neighbour's building. These would all require the building owner to serve notice on the neighbour. The neighbour probably can't stop the works, or ifluence the sdesign, but the Act will provide some protection to the neighbour's need for party structurs to remain stable so that the neighbour's property will have reduced risks of damage.

Pog66
30-03-2011, 12:37
There's a lot of "old" houses being knocked down and replaced by 2/3 smaller houses on the same site so it is possible - just the Planning regs minefield to get through.

Dai
30-03-2011, 15:07
Yes. our local builders just love the older properties with their big back gardens. If you can grab a couple or three in a row you can demolish and replace with a whole cul-de-sac of little modern boxes.