PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on new car.

Arthurgray50@blu
29-03-2011, 19:27
Hi members, As l am getting rid of a car of 14 years, I have been offered a trade in, for a Toyato Corolla 1332cc T reg.

I am thinkiing of buying it, any advice.
Are they good cars and runners 65k on the clock.
Cheers;)

haydnwalker
29-03-2011, 19:38
See: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/corolla-1997/

Personally, it depends what you see your car as. They are reliable, however, I'd check that its got plenty of stamps in the service book due to its age and I'd get it AA/RAC checked.

Make sure it hasn't got excessive corrosion that might get an MOT fail.

LSainsbury
29-03-2011, 19:49
The Daily Mail says its a rubbish car.

budwieser
29-03-2011, 20:27
Hi members, As l am getting rid of a car of 14 years, I have been offered a trade in, for a Toyato Corolla 1332cc T reg.

Cheers;)

Bloody Hell Arthur! Are you trading in a Horse And Cart!? :)

Paul
29-03-2011, 21:17

Cheers;)
You realise a T reg is 12 years old ?

I hope your not paying much, otherwise it seems a bit pointless swaping.

MovedGoalPosts
29-03-2011, 22:58
65k on the clock is low for a car of that age. That suggests a lot of short journeys, stop start stuff. I'd be concerned whether that could lead to a raft of issues with mechanical components that seize up from a lack of use, or simply rot away.

Unless your current 14 year old car is on it's last legs / failing MOT, or similar, I wouldn't be worrying about swapping for something that isn't that much younger.

Welshchris
30-03-2011, 01:32
My mate has a 16yo Toyota Corolla which he is now getting rid of because he is in his 60s and his left leg gives him problems and needs an Automatic. We were only talking about it a few days ago because he was asking me if i knew anyone who wanted it he was saying that hes had very few problems with it. Apart from Tyres all thats been changed on it is the front steering rack which was a few months ago and the exaust.

georgepomone
30-03-2011, 13:58
Bloody Hell Arthur! Are you trading in a Horse And Cart!? :)

A "T" reg Toyota, a horse and cart would be the better option. I always have cars between eight and ten years old. But they become a bit of a liability any older than that. I have an "X" reg Mondeo and have just had to replace both front springs on the suspension struts. The pot-holes broke both springs.
To do bigger jobs on the older cars becomes a question of is it worth it.

Damien
30-03-2011, 14:16
A "T" reg Toyota, a horse and cart would be the better option. I always have cars between eight and ten years old. But they become a bit of a liability any older than that. I have an "X" reg Mondeo and have just had to replace both front springs on the suspension struts. The pot-holes broke both springs.
To do bigger jobs on the older cars becomes a question of is it worth it.

How much that cost? :erm:

georgepomone
30-03-2011, 15:11
How much that cost? :erm:

The springs were £78 each and a track rod bearing which had broke because of the drop which was £17 not bad considering. But I had to do it quick because the MOT was due. Not a lot but you always have to consider what the car is worth to you.
To be truthfull newer cars can be just as expensive to keep going. I once had a Renault that used to eat through ignition coils. I used to have to carry two spares because they always used to give out at the worst possible time.
I like old crocks anyway because I am one myself.
George.

haydnwalker
30-03-2011, 15:22
To be truthfull newer cars can be just as expensive to keep going.

Thats very true... my 2003 Audi A6 has needed more work than I care to mention (approx £8000 - almost what I paid for it 3 years ago).

Luckily, I had a "cover everything but the Turbo" warranty, so I didn't have to pay for it myself :)

slowcoach
30-03-2011, 22:55
As my old boss used to say, “If you can't afford a new Jaguar you certainly cannot afford an old one”.