PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Virgin Media 10mb & Super Hub

chris150488
28-03-2011, 21:12
Hi

I am currently on 10mb and was going to upgrade to 30mb for an extra £4

Now the issue i have is im a new virgin customer and the netgear router ive been supplied with is absolutly awful i have a ps3 my brother plays on and my pc upstairs the router is downstairs in the living room and both keep popping up with disconnected or low signal.

now virgin are money making fools by the looks of things and want £75 for the superhub any ideas on how i could get this for free

as im paying £34 for 6 months then £55 after

Slyder
28-03-2011, 22:17
I dont think to many people on here would suggest opting for the SuperHub.. - it has a bad repuation round here.

How far into your contract are you? if you really want one, retentions may be able to offer a deal on the hub? When you say new customer - are you in a position to threaten to leave the contact under your grace period?

chris150488
28-03-2011, 23:06
Hi there

When I'm in the living room everything is perfect but you go upstairs and it's dreadful only taken out 2 weeks ago don't know where I stand about cancelling I don't want to cancel but I've been told it's free with 30mb and also been told it's a £30 activation fee anyway that I can try and get that credited back as all I want is a decent router that works all round the house £30 for something that ain't my problem

Call centre is useless always get put through to someone who doesnt understand English

hjf288
29-03-2011, 02:32
You have 28 days to cancel from the day of activation.. i.e them installing

chris150488
29-03-2011, 16:26
Well after 3 hours of arguments with arrogant customer service agents I get no where

Ive wrote a letter to head office stating my reasons why I'm in happy any threats they don't Like ?

I want to try avoid cancelling but the cheeky gits have taken away my 6 month half price deal also

Not a happy bunny at the mo

craigj2k12
29-03-2011, 18:16
if you want better wireless range, dont get the superhub

buy your own router, you can pick up some decent ones for ~£20

Nopanic
29-03-2011, 18:45
Well after 3 hours of arguments with arrogant customer service agents I get no where

Ive wrote a letter to head office stating my reasons why I'm in happy any threats they don't Like ?

I want to try avoid cancelling but the cheeky gits have taken away my 6 month half price deal also

Not a happy bunny at the mo

If you think the agent was rude you should call back up and ask to make a complaint. Think on it though first, were they rude or did they just not give you what you expected?

I'm all for agent feedback, in fact I encourage it.

Slyder
29-03-2011, 18:53
I personally was 3 days into a contract when I demanded an Ambit modem or the they loose a customer.

Agents dont like the idea of loosing there commision ;)

Nopanic
29-03-2011, 18:54
I personally was 3 days into a contract when I demanded an Ambit modem or the they loose a customer.

Different agent to sales person though .. so that knocks that theory off ..

Agents don't like losing customers .. because customers pay to keep them in a job .. we have some awesome customer care agents working for VM.

Peter_
29-03-2011, 18:56

Which modem are you talking about here.:)

chris150488
29-03-2011, 19:08
The customer service agent I spoke to kind of raised his voice when I refused go pay the £30 activation fee I didn't mention nothing about cancelling my contract though

Cheers

Chris

Nopanic
29-03-2011, 19:34
The customer service agent I spoke to kind of raised his voice when I refused go pay the £30 activation fee I didn't mention nothing about cancelling my contract though

Cheers

Chris

At the end of the day its down to your perception of the call .. the idea is you feel good after every call .. not that you always get what you want, but you understand the situation and are as happy as you can be with the reasons for it ..

If you're not and your not being unreasonable .. then you have grounds to take it further .. in my opinion anyway.

Slyder
29-03-2011, 19:37
Which modem are you talking about here.:)

Back in November last year I done a house move. Long story short I ended up with the old Netgear hub which couldnt hand multiple connections at the time. I called and demanded an Ambit 256.. (ended up with the 255, but I wont get picky over that as there virtually identicle)

Peter_
29-03-2011, 21:33
Back in November last year I done a house move. Long story short I ended up with the old Netgear hub which couldnt hand multiple connections at the time. I called and demanded an Ambit 256.. (ended up with the 255, but I wont get picky over that as there virtually identicle)
Amazed that you received a 255 did not realise that they were still out there, they have a different chipset if I remember correctly and the 255 has a USB port.

Slyder
30-03-2011, 07:25
Amazed that you received a 255 did not realise that they were still out there, they have a different chipset if I remember correctly and the 255 has a USB port.

This was Novemeber time though Masque. Doubt you would get one now. I know the VMNG300's can still be aquired if pushed for hard enough.

Not to sure on the chipset, but the 255/256 are identicle in physical design. Just looking at my old 255 now and there is no USB. I think that was the 250. It was the same shape but was blue in colour, you could lightly see inside of it, had the ntl branding and was usb ready.

Peter_
30-03-2011, 08:37
This was Novemeber time though Masque. Doubt you would get one now. I know the VMNG300's can still be aquired if pushed for hard enough.

Not to sure on the chipset, but the 255/256 are identicle in physical design. Just looking at my old 255 now and there is no USB. I think that was the 250. It was the same shape but was blue in colour, you could lightly see inside of it, had the ntl branding and was usb ready.
255 modems should really have a USB port on the back as they were the last Ambit to have one.

We should not have had no new stock of 255 modems for at least the last 2.5 years so it should have been a 256.

Slyder
31-03-2011, 22:48
255 modems should really have a USB port on the back as they were the last Ambit to have one.

We should not have had no new stock of 255 modems for at least the last 2.5 years so it should have been a 256.

No, the last Ambit to have USB was the 250.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/ntl250b.jpg

I have no idea what happened to the stand for this. I always found this was more rare then the VMNG300's now.

I dont know the difference between the 255 & 256, they look the same without USB. I know this as I have had both the 250 and 255... good friend of mine had the 256.

pip08456
31-03-2011, 22:56
Different agent to sales person though .. so that knocks that theory off ..

Agents don't like losing customers .. because customers pay to keep them in a job .. we have some awesome customer care agents working for VM.

Yeh, they promise you something that can't happen. Awesome!

Chrysalis
31-03-2011, 23:24
I think the issue here is that engineers have less leeway to be flexible, if they dont return the old vmng300 then they liable to pay for it out their own pocket?

whilst a call centre rep enabling 100mbit on a vmng300 can quite possibly do it without no other staff knowing what they done until that account is checked.

pip08456
31-03-2011, 23:37
I think the issue here is that engineers have less leeway to be flexible, if they dont return the old vmng300 then they liable to pay for it out their own pocket?

That's it as far as I know, at least with contractors. X superhubs out X modems in, any difference has to be paid for by them. I can also see the reasoning behind it.

Slyder
01-04-2011, 07:22

whilst a call centre rep enabling 100mbit on a vmng300 can quite possibly do it without no other staff knowing what they done until that account is checked.

My job requires giving engineers job instructions on exchanging gas meters. If the job instruction is not followed then all sorts of questions gets asked and it becomes a nightmare. On other teams if it is a simple exchange or upgrade the customer has requested they have the choice of all our equipment.

The thing to remember is the customer is always right and while I do agree there are some good advisors working for VM, its the buisness model I have a problem with. They seem to think they can tell a customer what equipment they have to have in order to receive a service. 20 to 100meg is simple, give the choice ie superhub or vmng300 - its not hard.

I'm sure the people who are making these decisions would have a problem if they went to a restaurant only to be told they couldnt have there meal unless they have water as a drink.

Peter_
01-04-2011, 09:34
They seem to think they can tell a customer what equipment they have to have in order to receive a service. 20 to 100meg is simple, give the choice ie superhub or vmng300 - its not hard.

As the is now only one option which is the Superhub the can be no other option as the VMNG300 is no longer manufactured as it was a Virginmedia specific modem which is unsuitable for a 100Mb connection due to its lack of channel bonding.

The would be more of an uproar if the VMNG300 wassupplied and it failed because of the bonding.

craigj2k12
01-04-2011, 11:56
i dont think there would, not at the moment anyway, people will be at their happiest when the final firmware is out for the superhub, and they have the choice of bug-free firmware using the hubs router, or bride mode to use their own routing

pip08456
02-04-2011, 22:27
As the is now only one option which is the Superhub the can be no other option as the VMNG300 is no longer manufactured as it was a Virginmedia specific modem which is unsuitable for a 100Mb connection due to its lack of channel bonding.

The would be more of an uproar if the VMNG300 wassupplied and it failed because of the bonding.

You have a tech ref for that Masque?

As it was touted as good for up to 200Mb one would expect it to be able to bond on upstream as it already does on down, otherwise whats the point of the 4 upstream channels it can handle?

Peter_
02-04-2011, 22:33
You have a tech ref for that Masque?

As it was touted as good for up to 200Mb one would expect it to be able to bond on upstream as it already does on down, otherwise whats the point of the 4 upstream channels it can handle?
No but it is the reason given.

jb66
02-04-2011, 22:49
Virgin don't like more than 20meg a channel. The more channels the more they can balance the load. Technically an ambit could do 30meg but it puts strain on the network

MK1
04-04-2011, 08:16
I thought the Super Hub was for 30, 50 & 100Mb?

jb66
04-04-2011, 08:20
It is but would work on any tier.

grim reaper
04-04-2011, 20:51
That's it as far as I know, at least with contractors. X superhubs out X modems in, any difference has to be paid for by them. I can also see the reasoning behind it.

does this only apply to the vmng300 modems or to all modems? .... as i recieved my superhub (which actually works great so i must be lucky :) ) by post and i rang vm about what to do with my old 256 modem and was told to bin it

jb66
04-04-2011, 21:05
Post doesn't matter

jcw00
06-04-2011, 21:25
As the is now only one option which is the Superhub the can be no other option

I would like to upgrade from 10Mbps, but don't want the superbub. What will my WebSTAR EPC2100 modem support?

pip08456
06-04-2011, 21:26
Doubt it.

Peter_
06-04-2011, 21:28
I would like to upgrade from 10Mbps, but don't want the superbub. What will my WebSTAR EPC2100 modem support?
That is a Docsis 1 modem and therefore can only run as high as 20Mb as 30Mb and above are on Docsis 3 and require you to use the Superhub.