PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln LN2 pants again

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
27-03-2011, 20:04
Thankyou Virgin Media, for the 4th time this year you have trashed my live DJ stream to 100's of listeners.
I only play once a week for 2 hours, and stream a very lightweight 128kbps, but this is obviously too much for your decrepid systems to handle, as for the 4th time since NYE I am unable to stream. The stream was fine for 80mins or so then suddenly listeners complaining of buffering, and then I dropped off the server completely. I do a speedtest and lo & behold I am getting 4MB down from my 20MB service, and the upload is pathetic too, with high pings to all the speedtest sites I checked.
I am nowhere near the fair usage limits, and even if I was Im supposed to get 2MB upload, so after throttling surely 128kbps is still ok.
My net has been so unstable for the past few weeks, I am completely at my wits end with the service. Phoning up CS costs me a fortune as I dont have a home phone, only mobile, and even when I do phone up I get the same scripted rubbish and "it must be a virus on your pc etc" because there are no problems in your area ............
Anyone else in LN2 Lincoln with crappy speeds ?

Nopanic
27-03-2011, 22:27
Do you use Twitter ? if so contact them through there...

Customer service is the wrong direction to take, you would need to call tech support but if you can't call, as above use online methods..

I know how annoying it is and I know you have tried to contact them, but give Twitter a go .. you might be pleasantly surprised ..

GazCBG
28-03-2011, 13:20
Hi,

I am in Lincoln LN6 on 50Mb and have noticed a slow down when browsing in the afternoon, evening and night, even after midnight.
I presume it is congestion.

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
29-03-2011, 22:00
Nopanic - no I dont tweet, am not a fan of any social networking sites like that :)

big-gaz I get the feeling Lincoln is having a few issues lately. I know the LN1 postcade is ridiculously over-subscribed with all the students on, but my connection has been very unstable for a few months.
Even when my speed seems ok, the pings are always over 100ms to any speedtest site, but up until a few months ago they were always 30-40ms. I think something isnt right in our area, and maybe speeds are not as important as I once thought, because I cannot stream a 128 kilo-bit per second mp3 lately without buffering issues to the server I connect to, and even if I was throttled, I should still get 500kbps upstream.
I decided to apply for an upgrade to 50MB via the virgin media website, it said they would phone up with a price in 48 hours, that was sunday its now tuesday and still no phone call lol typical but I should'nt have expected them to honour their website bs :)
Im hoping an upgrade will get my pings down to acceptable levels so I can entertain my listeners again like I have been doing for the past 8 years.