PDA

View Full Version : Connection dropping - Modem Reboot required

Purpose
24-03-2011, 00:16
Hello,

Firstly might I add that I'm not the most technical minded... so I'm sorry and please bare with me.

I currently pay for 50m in Devon from Virgin Media, and I frequently hold live web-shows via live streaming. I was given the following modem: VMNG300v2 Model EDM3528.

The issue I am having is this: (And I mention the streaming part because it appears to be vastly more frequent while streaming) My internet will completely drop - and whatsmore I need to unplug and plug back in again, my modem's power cable for it to work again.

I'm sure thats isn't very specific but if you could let me know what would help you - I'll endeavor to get it up asap.

As mentioned previously, it appears to happen 98% of the time while I am streaming. There doesn't seem to be any correlatory factors that I can see... for instance it'll happen with 5 viewers just as much as when I'm over 1000 viewers. Also - it doesn't always happen. I can goes days without it doing it, but other times... I can't go 15 minutes without it dropping on me. When it rains it pours. :(

Many thanks,
Sam "Purpose"

scrabbled
24-03-2011, 01:38
either you need a new modem or Virgin tend to ping users who they deem to be excessive users..ie if they think someone is using lots of bandwidth (downloading\streaming) they drop the connection (ping), of cause they will deny any knowledge of this.

Peter_
24-03-2011, 05:55
Hello,

Firstly might I add that I'm not the most technical minded... so I'm sorry and please bare with me.

I currently pay for 50m in Devon from Virgin Media, and I frequently hold live web-shows via live streaming. I was given the following modem: VMNG300v2 Model EDM3528.

The issue I am having is this: (And I mention the streaming part because it appears to be vastly more frequent while streaming) My internet will completely drop - and whatsmore I need to unplug and plug back in again, my modem's power cable for it to work again.

I'm sure thats isn't very specific but if you could let me know what would help you - I'll endeavor to get it up asap.

As mentioned previously, it appears to happen 98% of the time while I am streaming. There doesn't seem to be any correlatory factors that I can see... for instance it'll happen with 5 viewers just as much as when I'm over 1000 viewers. Also - it doesn't always happen. I can goes days without it doing it, but other times... I can't go 15 minutes without it dropping on me. When it rains it pours. :(

Many thanks,
Sam "Purpose"

Call up today on 0800 052 0431 and speak to a 50Mb agent who will check your connection for you, and no they do not ping you in order to disconnect you that poster is a fantasist they would instead send you a nice letter.

Purpose
24-03-2011, 08:05
Thank you both. Do you happen to know the hours of service for that number? I work pretty long hours this week :(

Peter_
24-03-2011, 13:36
Thank you both. Do you happen to know the hours of service for that number? I work pretty long hours this week :(
Should be 24/7 now.

scrabbled
28-03-2011, 16:52
fantasist am I Masque? dont ring 150 on your phone Purpose as you will be directed to someone in another country who will fob you off with an engineer turning up the very next day between 12-4pm, don't be miffed by these plonkers and demand to speak to a supervisor in England, depending on what County your in, closest to Manchester was their Liverpool office, customer service with Virgin is worse than CS with BT back in the 70's....lol what a joke Virgin

Peter_
28-03-2011, 19:35
fantasist am I Masque? dont ring 150 on your phone Purpose as you will be directed to someone in another country who will fob you off with an engineer turning up the very next day between 12-4pm, don't be miffed by these plonkers and demand to speak to a supervisor in England, depending on what County your in, closest to Manchester was their Liverpool office, customer service with Virgin is worse than CS with BT back in the 70's....lol what a joke Virgin
Well you do not make a lot of sense with the above post so I am rather unsure of what you are trying to tell me.

Try reading it again and then write in a way that can be understood by the average person.

craigj2k12
29-03-2011, 13:55
:LOL:

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
29-03-2011, 22:10
Is it possible they (VM) see people who stream audio to a server as Peer2peer ?
I ask because I have been having terrible problems streaming a paltry 128kbps audio (mp3) stream to a shoutcast server, its ok for a while then after 40 mins or so listeners tell me my stream is buffering, and I have to quit.
Its extremely annoying, because I only stream 128kbps for 2 hours which doesnt come close to the limits before throttling, yet well before the end of my 2 hour live dj stream, my connection slows significantly, and when I test my connection the pings are always in three figures (ms).
I have been a live dj online for the past 8 years, and swear I had a more stable stream when I was on NTL 768/128, I could stream 80kbps all day and night with not a single buffer.

craigj2k12
29-03-2011, 22:15
it might possibly be peer to peer

what software do you use? if your listeners are connecting to you via peer to peer, then that will give you problems when the management kicks in at 5pm, until midnight

Chrysalis
30-03-2011, 01:03
Is it possible they (VM) see people who stream audio to a server as Peer2peer ?
I ask because I have been having terrible problems streaming a paltry 128kbps audio (mp3) stream to a shoutcast server, its ok for a while then after 40 mins or so listeners tell me my stream is buffering, and I have to quit.
Its extremely annoying, because I only stream 128kbps for 2 hours which doesnt come close to the limits before throttling, yet well before the end of my 2 hour live dj stream, my connection slows significantly, and when I test my connection the pings are always in three figures (ms).
I have been a live dj online for the past 8 years, and swear I had a more stable stream when I was on NTL 768/128, I could stream 80kbps all day and night with not a single buffer.

your last line shows how badly isps have been over stretching themselves. Its better all round if an isp sells a service they capable of providing without playing games with the traffic. But that doesnt give them the good PR and signups so they sacrifice quality.