PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Can't opt out of Advance error search

DrXerox
23-03-2011, 13:39
Just upgraded to 30mb internet. Installed my Superhub yesterday. So far so good.

I use my work laptop wirelessly to connect to my companies VPN. This now doesn't work because is suspect advanced network error search is on. If I go to the link,

https://my.virginmedia.com/advancederrorsearch/settings

It just shows me a blank page. This is using my home Imac and Safari browser on my virgin connection at home.
If I try using IE on Windows on my Mac it just can't find the page.

Has Virgin moved it?

Anyone know how to get round this?

BenMcr
23-03-2011, 14:01
I think Tech Support can opt you out if needs be

They page hasn't been removed on purpose, it looks like it's connect to the website changes. I've let a collegue know

Kymmy
23-03-2011, 18:00
Would using a 3rd party DNS help?

DrXerox
23-03-2011, 21:25
Would using a 3rd party DNS help?

It probably would help,................ if only I knew what it means.:confused:

Nopanic
23-03-2011, 21:34
As Ben said, Tech support can tick a box on your account to opt you out ..

DrXerox
23-03-2011, 23:13
Thanks all, I'll give them a call.

DrXerox
24-03-2011, 12:19
Just tried calling CS on 150. Sorry to say the chap there clearly didn't now what advanced error search is.
I told him that I would normally opt out via the my.virginmedia.com website but the page seemed to be missing. Perhaps because there have been changes to that website?

He then told me I have to wait another 48 hours and try again........ mmm

Is there a better phone number to try on rather than 150?

Milambar
24-03-2011, 12:48
I believe technical support (not customer service) resides on 151.

Kymmy
24-03-2011, 14:25
It probably would help,................ if only I knew what it means.:confused:

The error is caused by the VM DNS servers not finding what you've requested so they redirect your request to the VM search engine.

If you used OPENDNS or googleDNS then you should not have the same issue.

Nopanic
24-03-2011, 17:36
Just tried calling CS on 150. Sorry to say the chap there clearly didn't now what advanced error search is.
I told him that I would normally opt out via the my.virginmedia.com website but the page seemed to be missing. Perhaps because there have been changes to that website?

He then told me I have to wait another 48 hours and try again........ mmm

Is there a better phone number to try on rather than 150?

Post on the VM forum ..

I wonder if its breaking DPA if I just do it for you ?

I guess you could be pretending to be someone else .. I dunno ..

Peter_
24-03-2011, 17:38
Post on the VM forum ..

It is a breach of DPA unless they ring in and confirm who they are.;)

pip08456
24-03-2011, 18:48
Nopanic, can I pretend to be someone else? I want a rebate on my bill!

Nopanic
24-03-2011, 19:02
Nopanic, can I pretend to be someone else? I want a rebate on my bill!

Thats very nice of you offering to get someone some money back ..

---------- Post added at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

It is a breach of DPA unless they ring in and confirm who they are.;)

Its a bit of a grey area ..

pip08456
24-03-2011, 19:21
Thats very nice of you offering to get someone some money back ..[COLOR="Silver"]

That's cos I'm a very nice person!

Peter_
24-03-2011, 20:45
Its a bit of a grey area ..
We were told at rollout that it must be done after DPA with the customer on the phone considering that we are in the same tool as the email addresses, it was also in the brief at the time.

pip08456
24-03-2011, 21:41
Those dealing with customers and those in the lab. (sigh)

Nopanic
24-03-2011, 21:56
That's cos I'm a very nice person!

You hide it well ..

We were told at rollout that it must be done after DPA with the customer on the phone considering that we are in the same tool as the email addresses, it was also in the brief at the time.

and that's me told ..

Those dealing with customers and those in the lab. (sigh)

Shut up you :sleep:

DrXerox
24-03-2011, 22:13
Post on the VM forum ..

Sorry Nopanic I have now completely lost the plot. I don't understand any of your post.:confused:

What's DPA?

BenMcr
24-03-2011, 22:17
Data Protection Act

DrXerox
24-03-2011, 22:22
Ah ok thanks Ben. Sorry for being a bit dim. Just finished a tough afternoon shift.

Looks like Nopanic might have been attempting to help me.

Peter_
24-03-2011, 22:24
Ah ok thanks Ben. Sorry for being a bit dim. Just finished a tough afternoon shift.

If you ring technical support they will untick the Advance error search and then you can try again, a maximum 5 minute call.

DrXerox
24-03-2011, 22:37
If you ring technical support they will untick the Advance error search and then you can try again, a maximum 5 minute call.

Thanks Masque, I'll try again tomorrow.

Just to clarify, is tech support on 151 'cause 150 were no help at all as per my previous post.

pip08456
24-03-2011, 22:52
Just to remind Nopanic (sigh)

Peter_
25-03-2011, 05:57
Thanks Masque, I'll try again tomorrow.

Just to clarify, is tech support on 151 'cause 150 were no help at all as per my previous post.
Call 151 but 150 should still route you correctly, you do not have to be at home so you can use 0845 454 1111 if at work.

Nopanic
25-03-2011, 06:58

I was, but I don't work in the call centre and if Mas says its a DPA issue, then I'm inclined to believe him.

Just to remind Nopanic (sigh)

and again .. shut up you :(

Kymmy
25-03-2011, 07:54
Back on topic guys, and that is the advanced search and not the DPA

Nopanic
25-03-2011, 18:01
It is on topic, as I am trying to work out a way to help him.

Kymmy
25-03-2011, 18:09
The only way is for him to call in to tech support, submit a ticket or change his DNS. Arguing about DPA isn't helping him

Nopanic
25-03-2011, 22:05
The only way is for him to call in to tech support, submit a ticket or change his DNS. Arguing about DPA isn't helping him

Who's arguing, I asked and was told.

He should still post on the VM forums in case they have a different view.

DrXerox
26-03-2011, 09:45
Guys, all sorted.

The phone call took an hour:shocked: but that was for a different reason.

Spoke to a very nice man called Rod, who didn't know about AES. But he went away and asked and found out how to opt out for me.

The problem I have now, which may be the subject of another thread, is that the email address I use is orphaned and will stop working sooner or later.

Apparently I have two accounts and they need to be merged. This means I will loose some email addresses with no way of retrieving them.

The misses will kill me when she finds out her email has stopped working.:shocked:

Nopanic
26-03-2011, 09:49
Guys, all sorted.

The phone call took an hour:shocked: but that was for a different reason.

Spoke to a very nice man called Rod, who didn't know about AES. But he went away and asked and found out how to opt out for me.

The problem I have now, which may be the subject of another thread, is that the email address I use is orphaned and will stop working sooner or later.

Apparently I have two accounts and they need to be merged. This means I will loose some email addresses with no way of retrieving them.

The misses will kill me when she finds out her email has stopped working.:shocked:

That's not 100% correct.

Unless you moved between ex NTL and ex Telewest your mailboxes can be saved if you need to keep them.

If you have two accounts, then the term orphan doesn't apply either here. You've just (and I haven't seen your account so am guessing) moved addresses at some point and your emails haven't followed you.

DrXerox
26-03-2011, 09:57
That's not 100% correct.

Unless you moved between ex NTL and ex Telewest your mailboxes can be saved if you need to keep them.

If you have two accounts, then the term orphan doesn't apply either here. You've just (and I haven't seen your account so am guessing) moved addresses at some point and your emails haven't followed you.

Been in the same address for thirty years so no change there.

All our email addresses end in @ntlworld.com and always have.

I changed my email address a long time ago because of all the spam I was getting.
He passed everything to the iIT guys to sort so maybe I won't loose some addresses?

Nopanic
26-03-2011, 10:14
Been in the same address for thirty years so no change there.

All our email addresses end in @ntlworld.com and always have.

I changed my email address a long time ago because of all the spam I was getting.
He passed everything to the iIT guys to sort so maybe I won't loose some addresses?

Ah ok, in that case there is no reason for you to lose anything. Your mailbox was previously held on a different system which has since been replace, (well the provisioning of it was anyway.)

They'll just been added to the current system as extra mailboxes.