PDA

View Full Version : 30M Upgrade and keep existing DOCSIS3 modem?

InsaneNutter
22-03-2011, 09:31
At the moment we are on Virgins 20mbit service, however we are on the DOCSIS3 network already. In 2009 / 2010 were on the Samknows speed trials here in Huddersfield and got sent the VMNG300 modem.

Would we be able to upgrade to the 30mbit service and not have to use the super hub which appears to cause most people nothing but problems?

If yes to the above would we still have to pay £30 as we do not need / want the super hub? I presume all Virgin would need to do is flick a switch to tell our modem its now on 30mbit?

Thanks.

Ignitionnet
22-03-2011, 10:11
Hey dude.

You should be able to get upgraded for free without the need for a change of modem / hub.

Quite amusing that VM sent you a DOCSIS 3 modem for your 20Mb to improve your results on their speed trial though :D

Kymmy
22-03-2011, 11:53
Hey dude.

You should be able to get upgraded for free without the need for a change of modem / hub.

Quite amusing that VM sent you a DOCSIS 3 modem for your 20Mb to improve your results on their speed trial though :D

Forever the cynic :D :rofl:

Peter_
22-03-2011, 12:14
Just ring up and ask about the upgrade the should be no issue.

Chrysalis
22-03-2011, 19:01
he is right to be a cynic.

ignition is also aware of me been turned down after giving them a poor preliminary speedtest.

I have yet to see a samknows tester on a overly congested port, I am not saying it doesnt happen but just that every tester who has posted a latency graph happens to be on a good port. It also is not VM process to give 20mbit customers docsis3 modem's in 2009/2010.

pip08456
22-03-2011, 23:19
he is right to be a cynic.

ignition is also aware of me been turned down after giving them a poor preliminary speedtest.

I have yet to see a samknows tester on a overly congested port, I am not saying it doesnt happen but just that every tester who has posted a latency graph happens to be on a good port. It also is not VM process to give 20mbit customers docsis3 modem's in 2009/2010.

Funny, I didn't have to give them a speedtest result to get onto samknows.
Then again I do have a contact there (who I didn't inform I was applying), but I don't think that would make a difference.

If you want to PM me your details I'll cvontact him to see if you can be put on but no promises.

Chrysalis
22-03-2011, 23:26
thanks will send you email address.

InsaneNutter
23-03-2011, 09:55

We were on the trial for a couple months before getting a DOCSIS 3 modem, I can tell you it made a massive difference when we did however. Before i could get about 2mbit when backing up a webserver via FTP. After getting the DOCSIS 3 modem I could get the full 20mbit with one FTP connection, honestly shocking how much faster downloading anything was after that.

Just ring up and ask about the upgrade the should be no issue.

Will do, cheers. Just thought it was worth asking here beforehand, never had a good experience calling Virgins support so wanted to know if it was even worth trying.