PDA

View Full Version : Changing MAC/IP

owais
21-03-2011, 02:55
Is there any way to change the MAC address and therefore the IP too like i did on o2?
I used this guide for o2:
http://pastebin.com/cVgw4xNB

Is there any sort of equivalent for VM?

Usually, on my other modems etc, i use to be able to log into the modem settings that were something like 192.16.1.0 or something and change the MAC in there but that doesn't seem to be the case with VM as when i type in 192.168.100.1, i barely have any options.

i tried to log into : 192.168.100.1
I get this screen though:
http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/6413/screenshot20110321at031.png

which is hardly configurable :(

So if i get a superhub from VM, will that all change or is there something i can do something else to configure it/get the configurable screen up?

I tried 192.168.0.1, that doesn't work at all.

Peter_
21-03-2011, 06:05
You cannot change the MAC on your modem as the is no access in order to do so, plus the is no need to do so as that has no impact on your ip address as that is given to the learned MAC address which will be from your computer or routers MAC address.

Ignitionnet
21-03-2011, 08:19
You can certainly change the MAC address of either your network card, if you are plugging straight into the modem, or if you are using your own router you can probably change the WAN MAC address there.

owais
21-03-2011, 09:39
You can certainly change the MAC address of either your network card, if you are plugging straight into the modem, or if you are using your own router you can probably change the WAN MAC address there.

I think this is what the o2 guide was doing, have a click on the pastebin to see.

I want to do exactly what that was doing

Ignitionnet
21-03-2011, 09:54
You do it on the separate router if you have one or on your network card on your PC, you don't do it on the modem.

owais
21-03-2011, 10:54
So you can't do what i did with my o2 modem/router unless i buy my own router to connect between the superhub and my laptop?

Would changing the MAC on the network card work? As im still blocked from a site i use weather its uaing one of my laptops or the other.

Kymmy
21-03-2011, 11:42
If the superhub is in bridged mode then a change on the NIC should change your IP, if though you use a router then a change on the router MAC would be needed.

A superhub acting as a router can not change IP (well not without leaving it turned off for a hell of a long time for the DHCP to not only expire but also be allocated to someone else

RobboEdin
21-03-2011, 13:01
So you can't do what i did with my o2 modem/router unless i buy my own router to connect between the superhub and my laptop?

Would changing the MAC on the network card work? As im still blocked from a site i use weather its uaing one of my laptops or the other.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't there usually a valid reason for being blocked by a site?

owais
21-03-2011, 13:30
I wouldnt say so

I shared an account with my brother in the same house and apparently that isn't allowed.

Edit: So there is no easy way to change my ip?

theoldbill
21-03-2011, 15:06
owais that's one of the older cable modems you have there, if you are using a router hooked into the modem, try looking at 'Clone WAN Mac address' or similar in the menus.

I don't know why the Virgin reps try to sidestep actually telling you how to do this, as if it's taboo or something.

A tip though would be don't do it more than a couple of times an hour.

Peter_
21-03-2011, 15:11
I don't know why the Virgin reps try to sidestep actually telling you how to do this, as if it's taboo or something.
No one sidesteps cloning MAC addresses at all because it is unsupported by Virginmedia therefore outside of our Support Scope.

A tip though would be don't do it more than a couple of times an hour.
If you change ip more than 4 times in one day you will lose your connection because you have filled the host table, so not good to do so as above.

theoldbill
21-03-2011, 15:19
If you change ip more than 4 times in one day you will lose your connection because you have filled the host table, so not good to do so as above.

Forgive me from speaking from experience; changing the MAC more than a couple of times an hour normally resulted in a ~1 hour timeout in the naughty corner - but since you work for them and know how all the kit in the various franchises works, I bow to your superior knowledge.

Peter_
21-03-2011, 15:21
Forgive me from speaking from experience; changing the MAC more than a couple of times an hour normally resulted in a ~1 hour timeout in the naughty corner - but since you work for them and know how all the kit in the various franchises works, I bow to your superior knowledge.
You do tend to fill the host table by doing the above which can be cleared if you call up though, they tend to be rare calls though.

owais
21-03-2011, 17:09
I'm not talking about doing it often, the last time i changed mine was maybe 4 months ago, but sometimes, i do have the need to do it, and it's nice to have that feature.

With o2, i just opened terminal and entered that stuff and that was it, new MAC and therefore new IP (which is what i needed).
With my old linksys ROUTER, i use to go to some address and i could alter it from there.

So, neither of these methods work for VM and the new superhub?

If i can't use either of the two methods, whats the next best alternative for changing my IP/MAC ?

EDIT: You seem to be saying 4 is the max a day, so it can be done?
If so, can you link me to a thread where it shows you, i've been goggling and searching these forum for a few hours and with no luck.