PDA

View Full Version : Issues with 100mb & newsgroup speed

mikeebhoy
20-03-2011, 20:09
Hello all, Im a bit new to this forum as far as posting questions goes so I apologise now if this is not in the correct forum area.

Ive got the new 100mb srvice from VM and at 1st glance all is well, speedtests check out pretty good iwo Up/Downstream , but Im having real problems after 6pm weekdays and all day on weekends with newsgroups ie the speeds Im getting , or not for that matter. I do know that these are peek times and its not going to be perfect but Im barely getting 1MB of download speed , can anyone help as its getting to be a right pain in the a**e

Thanks

Michael

mikeebhoy
29-03-2011, 18:16
Thanks for the reply all who read this!!

Kymmy
29-03-2011, 18:41
No-one has responded as you put this in the wrong area.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy.html

File sharing

We moderate the total volume of file sharing traffic on our network between 5pm and midnight on weekdays and midday and midnight on weekends. This policy, which applies to all broadband packages, is restricted to Peer to Peer ("P2P") applications and Newsgroups (which are commonly used to distribute large amounts of data)

This policy does not impact any applications other than Peer to Peer and Newsgroups, so things like watching iPlayer, online gaming, making calls via Skype, downloading music tracks from iTunes or streaming them from Spotify and sending an email or normal browsing are unaffected.

It's important to remember that these traffic management policies only apply at peak times when speeds are most likely to be affected by people using more than their fair share. Outside of peak times we do not manage traffic.

Check the various threads in the VM internet section (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/) for discussions about this policy

MOVED to VM INTERNET forum

craigj2k12
29-03-2011, 18:47
your newsgroups are given minimal priority between 5pm and midnight, when the p2p traffic management is active. this means any traffic other than p2p is prioritised and this traffic takes the bandwidth and your p2p (newsgroups is your case) are given what bandwidth that is left (hence why you only get 1mb)

mikeebhoy
30-03-2011, 19:39
So you are saying that the 100mb service is throttled? strange? VM say that the 50mb service is unaffected in their info and not indicating anything about 100mb which im on, all other services are cut by 75% during these times. this is why I posted as there seems to be no traffic management info for the service I'm on but it gets throttled anyway regardless of how much I use it, or dont for that matter.

AaronCooper
30-03-2011, 20:26
VM have 2 different traffic management tools.

The first is just a data allowance between certain times (50mb & 100mb are not conditioned to these limits)

However, the new one makes P2P low priority during the times stated above and apply to all packages. Mainly because people were buying the highest package, constantly torrenting,etc causing the performance of the higher packages to be worse (in some cases) than the lower packages available. I remember reading a few months back that 50mb was really bad for gaming, and ping reliant applications because of the amount of people constantly sucking up the bandwidth.

mikeebhoy
30-03-2011, 20:34
Yeah ok I see what you are saying , so regardless of the amount that you use the line gets throttled? shouldnt there be a threshold similar to the Traffic Management policy then?

It all seems a little unfair in that respect dont you think

General Maximus
30-03-2011, 21:02
It all seems a little unfair in that respect dont you think

Sure do, and everyone was moaning about this when they introduced it before xmas as they found it very hypocritial. VM tout an unlimited connection yet throttle you based on download volume and then on protocol. Basically you have got a lightning fast connection as long as you dont want to use it; as soon as you do, prepare for your ass to be throttled :rant:

craigj2k12
30-03-2011, 21:20
50 meg and 100 meg dont have the standard traffic management on the downstream, the 50meg does on the upstream (this is the policy which throttles you if you have downloaded more than a certain amount). They both have peer to peer management on the downstream and upstream, which throttles peer to peer between 5pm and midnight regardless of how much you have downloaded

Marcus125
30-03-2011, 21:29
Would using more your than your fair share be using the amount of "unlimited" bandwidth virginmedia promised us when we joined?

When I joined VM and the price turned out to be more than I expected I was told by VM and many on this site "I should of double checked before I joined"

So VIRGINMEDIA when users actually use 100mb and you realise your network can't handle it "YOU SHOULD OF DOUBLE CHECKED BEFORE YOU SOLD IT"

Ohh it doesnt work that way for VM, it only works when its AGAINST the customer. Glad we cleared that up.

mikeebhoy
31-03-2011, 18:58
Gents, thanks for the info .... talk about being ripped off, whats the point of a 100 meg line if you cant use its potential

General Maximus
31-03-2011, 19:02
exactly, as soon as you find something to use it for they throttle your ass under a fair usage policy

juventino1
01-04-2011, 09:33
My understanding is that VM restricts the traffic to newgroups/p2p by 75% during those times. So in other times the user should get around 12.5MB/s of download speed. During the restriction period it should come down to 3.125 MB/s...
Unless my undersatnding is incorrect and they restrict every connection to 1MB/s regardless of what tier the user is on... the user has a problem with his internet connection

General Maximus
01-04-2011, 11:12
afaik there isnt a % restriction like there is on stm. They reduce p2p traffic to low priority and in my experience from the last couple of months, that does translate to ~1mbit even on a 50mbit connection

craigj2k12
01-04-2011, 12:54
when the p2p management kicks in at 5pm p2p goes down as low priority, so it doesnt have a percent, it just gets "whats left" of the network capacity

i can get 5MB during peak hours, but where as outside peak times its a solid 6MB it can go up and down and up and down between 1MB and 5.5MB

pip08456
02-04-2011, 23:37
From what I have been able to acertain since traffic shaping was introduced.

1) Low priority = 25% of the available network.

2) It is area dependant as well.

3) It does not mean your speed is dropped to 25% of your service.

So if you are in an area where there are a lot of users downloading either from newsgroups or torrenting that available 25% is going to be eaten up quite quickly and you could end up downloading as low as 1Mb quite easily although anything else you want to do should not be affected.

Barring oversubscription of course.