PDA

View Full Version : Superhub SuperHub as an Access Point

m74uk
20-03-2011, 14:45
I'm currently running my SuperHub on 50Mb but it's located in a back office.
I've got a WG602 Access Point set up in a central point in my Hall hardwired back to the Hub.

Am I right in saying I can't use my Spare SuperHub as a replacement for my WG602?
(that is, just as an access point)

Would be nice as I've got a PC at the other side of the house & that doesn't get a great connection to the Superhub in the back office (old brick walls etc...)

qasdfdsaq
20-03-2011, 15:47
You can use it as an access point but I don't see why you'd want to, the wireless on it is considered a pile of **** by many.

m74uk
20-03-2011, 16:04
I try to keep up to date with the forum & I know there's a lot of people having issues with the Superhub but in my opinion it's doing it's job.

Can't complain about my download/upload speeds & other than the initial problem of not being able to log-in to the Hub (was still working though), I can't complain about it.

I find the wireless on it perfectly functional.

(& careful about the asterisks, I got censured from a MOD for the exact same thing.)

:redcard:

:)

Hugh
20-03-2011, 16:07
Please do not use asterisks to avoid the swear filter - re-occurrence may incur infractions.....

idi banashapan
20-03-2011, 16:37
You can use it as an access point but I don't see why you'd want to, the wireless on it is considered a pile of **** by many.

I'm with that opinion - the wireless is so, so bad. fortunately, my main machine is wired, but everything else in the house is wireless. still, I've come to expect nothing more from Netgear over the years. Cheap crap.

m74uk
20-03-2011, 16:52
Sorry, this is me with wireless.
What more can I ask for with the wireless.
(Using a NETGEAR WNDA3100v2)

Download Failed (1) (http://img64.imageshack.us/i/speedtestul.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Been using NETGEAR for as long as I can remember.

Before the installation of my Superhub I had the Abit modem & a NETGEAR RP114 Router & a DS108 Hub & my WG602.

Before that I was using NETGEAR HE102 & HA501 Wireless A combination.

I can't honestly fault them. Maybe I'm just lucky ;)

qasdfdsaq
20-03-2011, 17:34
Please do not use asterisks to avoid the swear filter - re-occurrence may incur infractions.....
I'm not trying to avoid the swear filter, I'm trying to avoid swearing. The **** is simply representative of what everyone else calls it, sort of shorthand for <insert derogatory term here>

I'm not the one describing it as rubbish as I don't even have one. Just reflecting on what other people here have said.

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

Sorry, this is me with wireless.
What more can I ask for with the wireless.
(Using a NETGEAR WNDA3100v2)

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/924/speedtestul.jpg (http://img64.imageshack.us/i/speedtestul.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Been using NETGEAR for as long as I can remember.

Before the installation of my Superhub I had the Abit modem & a NETGEAR RP114 Router & a DS108 Hub & my WG602.

Before that I was using NETGEAR HE102 & HA501 Wireless A combination.

I can't honestly fault them. Maybe I'm just lucky ;)
So you're either on the 100mb service and getting a very bad result or a lower service and getting an incorrect speedtest result that is artificially elevated over the true speed, neither of which proves anything.

m74uk
20-03-2011, 17:48
So you're either on the 100mb service and getting a very bad result or a lower service and getting an incorrect speedtest result that is artificially elevated over the true speed, neither of which proves anything.

I'm on 50mb.

Wasn't having a pop u. Just stating that in my experience NETGEAR is perfectly fine.

As for a artificially elevated, I consistently get between 49-55 so I don't think you can say it doesn't prove anything.....on the contrary, it proves that wireless on my SuperHub is working perfectly & isn't the brown jobbie stuff that some people are claiming.

Think it's only fair to give praise where it's due when others are quick to condemn them.

Hugh
20-03-2011, 18:03
I'm not trying to avoid the swear filter, I'm trying to avoid swearing. The **** is simply representative of what everyone else calls it, sort of shorthand for <insert derogatory term here>.
You appear to be missing the point - there is no difference between using words that invoke the swear filter, resulting in asterisks, and using asterisks instead of the word that invokes the asterisks.

The intention is the same, and, as a family-friendly forum, it is inappropriate - as stated earlier, re-occurrence of this behaviour may invoke infractions.

Link (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/about/21/terms-and-conditions) to CF T&Cs - the above behaviour is covered in Section 3, para 4, and you may also wish to review Section 3, para 6.....

m74uk
20-03-2011, 18:22
:notopic::notopic::notopic::notopic:

Anyway.......Back to the initial Question.

SuperHub as an Stand alone Access Point?????

Anybody tried it?

Skie
20-03-2011, 18:55
I've been able to get O2 adsl routers to act as bridges by pointing to the other one as a gateway, but I dont think you can define a gateway on the superhub. You can't break anything by trying, but I doubt it would work.

qasdfdsaq
20-03-2011, 20:41
You appear to be missing the point - there is no difference between using words that invoke the swear filter, resulting in asterisks, and using asterisks instead of the word that invokes the asterisks.

The intention is the same, and, as a family-friendly forum, it is inappropriate - as stated earlier, re-occurrence of this behaviour may invoke infractions.

Link (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/about/21/terms-and-conditions) to CF T&Cs - the above behaviour is covered in Section 3, para 4, and you may also wish to review Section 3, para 6.....
I think you're missing the point, the intention was not the same, the intention of it was as an ellipssis, a polite refrain from actual bad language that other users have used to describe the SH among other things. There was no intention of using any word to invoke a swear filter or use asterisks to imitate it, the point was to blankly quote other people's words that do not invoke the swear filter. I didn't even know or care that there was a swear filter.

Section 3 para 4 refers to "excessive and unnecessary use of bad language." An ellipsis is not bad language.

Nevertheless, next time I'll use the exact same language as other people have been using on this same "family-friendly forum", such as "poo" "bull excreta", "butt-gravy", "crap" and "steaming pile of fecal matter, freshly vomited on." - if you somehow think that's more appropriate than an ellipsis.

As for reviewing section three, para 6, I distinctly remember last two times I PM'd you regarding site rules/moderation you ignored my message and never replied. Aside from that I do not see a statement of fact - that you've misunderstood my intentions on both occasions - as an argument. Regardless, I'm leaving this at that as clearly I'm going to get nowhere, I'm wrong nomatter what my intentions were and I cannot discuss it in PM with you because you don't answer them.

idi banashapan
20-03-2011, 20:56
what's the point of having a sweat filter if you don't want it to be used (out of interest)?

Paul
20-03-2011, 21:52
I think you're missing the point .....
Let me make this clear. Do as you have been requested.

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:51 ----------

what's the point of having a sweat filter if you don't want it to be used (out of interest)?
Dont get involved in something that doesnt concern you.

dgcarter
20-03-2011, 22:11
<removed>

AndyCalling
21-03-2011, 13:30
I recommend you only use words acceptable before the watershed. This isn't so bad as 'feck' was judged OK for such when Father Ted was on telly, so that has state approval as suitable for children, as has the word 'arse' which was also used in Father Ted and authorised. Also, the standard middle-class approach of adjusted phrases such as 'darn', 'flip', 'ruddy hell' and 'stupid beggars' should be OK.

There should be enough to get the message across within such socially acceptable strictures.

idi banashapan
21-03-2011, 13:45
and 'Frack' as well as any conjugation thereof, as used in BSG!

AndyCalling
21-03-2011, 13:50
Also, I expect you could get away with calling someone a complete member, since we are all forum members here. Shouldn't corrupt any children with that. Dropping the word but keeping the rest should also be OK such as in the phrase 'that Superhub really is a complete steaming pile'.

You may so want to adopt a commonly understood forum substitute, ie. 'my ping has really dropped through the floor recently, last weekend it was a complete pile Superhub' or 'my last VM bill was a right mess, the phone bill was simply a steaming lump of Superhub if you ask me'.

Loads of child-safe options there, I'm sure you can come up with your own acceptable alternatives to using horrible offensive language like some mother-flipping Superhub-head might try.

BongMong - Cleaning up cable-talk for a brighter tomorrow.

AndyCalling
21-03-2011, 18:02
Dont get involved in something that doesnt concern you.

Hmm, rather strong, that. Particularly when you're supposedly trying to stop people from causing offence to others. Not the best example to set. If it wasn't the concern of forum members then might I suggest you PM the fellow and that you don't post your comment on a public forum? Just an idea, to help you with constructive input.

idi banashapan
21-03-2011, 19:06
Hmm, rather strong, that. Particularly when you're supposedly trying to stop people from causing offence to others. Not the best example to set. If it wasn't the concern of forum members then might I suggest you PM the fellow and that you don't post your comment on a public forum? Just an idea, to help you with constructive input.

Thank you. I thought I was the only one who noticed that comment. 'thread closed' coming soon.... Lol

caph
21-03-2011, 19:29
I've been able to get O2 adsl routers to act as bridges by pointing to the other one as a gateway, but I dont think you can define a gateway on the superhub. You can't break anything by trying, but I doubt it would work.

This is a common misconception. A wireless access point (or a device acting as one) does not have a default gateway. It can't have one because it is not capable of routing. It merely extends a LAN.

To the OP. Just turn on the spare superhub, disable DHCP, enable wireless and plug the cable from your main Superhub in to the LAN port of your spare superhub (NOT the WAN port). Job done and no settings required.

AndyCalling
21-03-2011, 21:41
Hmm, I have a spare Superhub (legal, don't ask the story as it is long and boring) so I might do this as I'll be able to get a little more wireless speed out of one device by setting it up this way. Two superhubs = dual channel? Might be a good idea. Would there be any way to upgrade the software on the second hub if it improves wireless at all though? Could I just temporarily connect it to the cable socket to get the update, even if it's never been activated by VM before, then switch back to my normal wan-connected hub for use?

m74uk
21-03-2011, 22:23
I'm going to try it at the weekend Andy.

If you get it going before that, let me know.

PS....Didn't know you could get them illegal.:(

I've only got a second one cause I got one when I updated to 20mb then when I upgraded to 50mb 3 weeks later I got another one.

AndyCalling
22-03-2011, 00:48
Yes, unfortunately some dodgy types like to get ebay boxes and try to hack into the cable for free. VM seem to be getting on top of this practice though.

Mine came to me due to VM cock-up and they aren't interested in getting it back.

I have done it. One Superhub on 2.4Ghz as a wireless access point and one on 5Ghz as the main router and modem.

My second hub, when connected to VM cable, will connect to the walled garden type of thing where you can activate it, but I don't want to do that. It gets notified of an update to the firmware but upon downloading it finds it to be incompatible according to the log. Shame, because it is firmware R19 instead of R20 like my main router. Seems like it'll be stuck this way for ever so no chance of it getting wireless improvements or fixes.

Still, it has to do little. Set it up like this:

1) Plug the second router (Superhub) in to a wired PC like your laptop or netbook with ethernet cable, leaving your main PC attached to your main router (Superhub). Disable any wireless networks on your netbook first to stop any DHCP hassles.
2) Go into the settings and turn off the firewall and flood protection, these affect the lan side (oddly) so you'll need to do this.
3) Set up the wireless SSID and set it to 2.4Ghz. You should also set it to 145Mbps unless you live in an isolated spot or it'll take up two 2.4Ghz channels and peeve your neighbours. Don't be a wireless thug! Save 300Mbps for the 5Ghz router. Remember to set up your wireless encryption, you can use the same passphrase as you do in your primary router to save confusion. After all, which ever one they get through they have got through, so you may as well only give them one right answer instead of two. Common sense.
4) Turn off UPNP just in case.
5) Now, last thing you do, set the lan IP address to 192.168.0.254, set the ending IP address to 192.168.0.253 and set DHCP Server to No. You need to set the ending IP address as well or it will complain, even though DHCP is switched off.
6) When you apply the lan IP changes you will lose connection to the second router. Switch it off and disconnect it. Go into your main routers settings (the one connected to VM) and adjust the ending IP address to 192.168.0.253 as you did with the second router. You can tweak any other settings like SSID and 300Mbps 5Ghz mode now if you like.
7) Connect a lan port on the second router to a lan port on the primary router.
8) Switch it on and you're done. Just remember the settings for the second router can be accessed through ip 192.168.0.254 leaving your primary router on 192.168.0.1.

Please note, I have no idea what would happen if both guest networks were switched on at once. Something to play with, I guess.

So, now you have a dual band Superhub. Impress your friends! Ahem... or something.

caph
22-03-2011, 10:59
Job done and no settings required.

Oops, as Andy correctly points out you do have to change the LAN address of your intermediate superhub otherwise it will clash with your main superhub.

Oh well, almost right.

AndyCalling
23-03-2011, 00:20
I've been testing, and truely it appears that instead of just giving me a Superhub, VM have effectively given me an Uberhub! It is a 6 gigabit port, true dual band, 3 wireless network monster (potentially, still haven't tested two guest networks at once).

Now theoretically, since VM supplied all this equipment, and it is set up in a legitimate way, they will have to support it. I suggest though that if you call one of their overseas support agents and tell them what you have set up then ask for support, they may just resign their job on the spot rather than deal with it. It looks like us Uberhubbers will have to support each other.

No major problems for me except Remote Assistance, so I still need that bridge mode firmware as a work around for RA crashing the router.

Still, I'm interested in seeing how any one else with an Uberhub setup gets on. Uberhubbers, please post your results!

We are likely to be a small 'elite' as few will get sent an Uberhub from VM like ours. Even fewer will want to look as nerdy as us by sticking two Superhubs by their PC like it's some kind of Hal rebuild... :)~

m74uk
27-03-2011, 16:02
Got my Uberhub up & running now

Done what you said with the settings Andy & have got the Cable connected to my Main Superhub & set to 5Ghz which only my laptop connects to via my NETGEAR WNDA3100v2 & the 2nd Superhub situated in a central location, hardwired back to the main hub, servicing all other wireless devices on 2.4Ghz

All running smoothly just now & very happy with it.

Thanks

Chrysalis
27-03-2011, 17:15
yeah thats one thing I forgot, the ip address itself would need to be changed.

zekeisaszekedoes
27-03-2011, 18:26
Not difficult to do this - switch off DHCP on 2nd router, give it an IP ideally out of main router DHCP range (i.e. 1st/gateway is 192.168.1.1, SH is 192.168.1.2) and away you go. I was using my Super Hub this way before I got better wireless N routers that don't bugger up all the time. But I'd steer clear of the thing entirely and get decent kit.

AndyCalling
27-03-2011, 22:45
I have got rid of the Uberhub setup. The reason? Well, the Superhub with the version R19 firmware seems to cut off wireless devices after a while, all of them. They remain linked with a good signal, just can't communicate with the internet or with other devices. It may just go increadibly slowly, almost not working at all. Changing channels seems to wake it up, but it goes back to not working a while later. The version R20 firmware in the main Superhub seems not to have these problems.

I have no such issues when I use my little VM supplied Netgear WGR614v9 router as a wireless access point (with the latest Netgear firmware on it rather than the old VM firmware). I can't get 150N on it of course though, only G.

If anyone knows a way to update a Superhub's firmware without 'activating' it so it becomes the main Superhub on one's account, do let me know. Otherwise it is just a brick as firmware R19 was obviously updated to R20 for a good reason. R19 has something very broken in it.

deed02392
16-09-2011, 20:17
My second hub, when connected to VM cable, will connect to the walled garden type of thing where you can activate it, but I don't want to do that. It gets notified of an update to the firmware but upon downloading it finds it to be incompatible according to the log. Shame, because it is firmware R19 instead of R20 like my main router. Seems like it'll be stuck this way for ever so no chance of it getting wireless improvements or fixes.

I'd hazard a guess as to say when it attempts to download the latest firmware at the address coded in its firmware, it finds itself redirected to the activation page and actually ends up download an htm file or similar (hence it states it is an incompatible download). I'd suggest configuring and connecting it directly to the coax to see if you can.. coax it into getting an internet connection and getting the latest firmware bin.

Or maybe you can tftp it new firmware releases? I wouldn't know, looking forward to getting one in the next week or so, though. :)

AndyCalling
16-09-2011, 21:28
Woah, thread from the dead... An answer after all this time! :)~

Actually, I did connect it directly to the cable coax connection. That's what got me to the walled garden thingie with it.

I doubt TFTP would work as VM are likely to have it very locked down so as to avoid hacking. Still, perhaps R19 wasn't so locked down, didn't I read something about being able to hack in and turn on modem mode in R20?

Whatever, unless I could get hold of the R30 firmware as a download I have nothing to try with. And I can't

If anyone knows how to download the R30 firmware as a file to try to TFTP to my second Superhub, do tell.

Otherwise it's stuck with firmware R19 which has God awful wifi on it. Way worse than any other release (and I've tried them all except the betas). It is basically unusable as a wireless unit as it is.

Ignitionnet
16-09-2011, 22:03
Activate the thing, then it'll download the firmware just fine.

The firmware downloads for the Superhub are specified in the production configuration files, that device is getting a pre-registration configuration file so no upgrade.

You absolutely cannot TFTP firmware to it. It will only accept firmware via its cable port.

AndyCalling
17-09-2011, 01:44
That is the other option. Thing is, my current Superhub works fine (except for the reduced number of 5Ghz channels since R30). To swap, and activate my second Superhub, is to risk problems. I won't bother with that, it's not worth it. So I've added a Netgear WNR1000v3 as an access point to cover 2.4Ghz. It works great at 72meg. It's cheap and it'll do 150meg on 2 channels, but that's not fair to the neigbours. To get higher than 72meg on 1 channel you need 2 or more spatial streams, and that won't be likely on battery powered kit you might connect over 2.4Ghz. Any mains kit Is likely to be 56meg max or a computer that can take a 5Ghz dongle, so the WNR1000 is all that's needed for an Uberhub setup. It also matches the Superhub in user interface and physical casing style, so it appears ideal.

horseman
17-09-2011, 17:00

Does the same apply to any other ………."???????????" punctuation marks….

"Quodcunque ostendis mihi sic, incredulus odi."

Hugh
17-09-2011, 20:56
Does the same apply to any other ………."???????????" punctuation marks….

"Quodcunque ostendis mihi sic, incredulus odi."I refer you to the Site Acceptable Use Policy (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/103/33680796-cable-forums-acceptable-use-policy.html#post35295107) - specifically post #3
There should be no need for swearing or other bad language. If a reasonable parent wouldn't want a word uttered by their child, then it shouldn't be used on Cable Forum.

The site does have a profanity filter but regular asterisk use in posts will be unwelcome and an indication that your language is inappropriate. The filter is extensive but not every unsuitable word or variation of it will be caught. Please don't try and circumvent the filter by use of alternative spellings.
Disbelieve all you want, as long as you follow the site guidelines...;)

AndyCalling
17-09-2011, 22:41
Yep, as I stated:

I recommend you only use words acceptable before the watershed. This isn't so bad as 'feck' was judged OK for such when Father Ted was on telly, so that has state approval as suitable for children, as has the word 'arse' which was also used in Father Ted and authorised. Also, the standard middle-class approach of adjusted phrases such as 'darn', 'flip', 'ruddy hell' and 'stupid beggars' should be OK.

There should be enough to get the message across within such socially acceptable strictures.

There's fecking plenty of child-safe ways of pointing out what a load of pants you believe anything is without resorting to being an arse and trying to get around the mother-flipping swear filter. So you can stick your bad language so far up your jumper you'll need a tailor to get it out again! We don't need it here. :)~

qasdfdsaq
18-09-2011, 01:10
o_0