PDA

View Full Version : Superhub How to put the superhub in bridge mode (is really as easy as that)?

bonjan
19-03-2011, 13:27
ssh admin@192.168.100.1
changeme

cd non-vol
cd rg
wan_feature_config capt_skip_dhcp true
rg_enable false
write

Unplug the superhub from the electricity, plug it again (no need to wait). Your own router gets the public ip address. Works for me. Latency is still unstable and bad though:

--- www.l.google.com ping statistics ---
27 packets transmitted, 27 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 16.416/26.654/53.093/7.878 ms

qasdfdsaq
19-03-2011, 13:33
o_0

Chysalis, willing to try this?

Stephen
19-03-2011, 13:43
You forgot the option of my superhub works fine and I don't need bridge mode ;)

bonjan
19-03-2011, 13:50
Indeed, I forgot this option. Can I edit the poll to add it?

Derek
19-03-2011, 14:12
Indeed, I forgot this option. Can I edit the poll to add it?

Nope but I can. :)

craigj2k12
19-03-2011, 16:17
how do you ssh to the superhub

cant get it working

im on the beta firmware

---------- Post added at 16:17 ---------- Previous post was at 14:48 ----------

right im giving up now that was a waste of 2 hours, it looks like they have disabled SSH in the new firmware

Chrysalis
19-03-2011, 17:55
I am still locked out of ssh. Also I would be surprised if they left it open on the beta firmware as someone did a long post on the VM forums about the hidden stuff in ssh LOL. I think the fact it appears to be disabled in the beta firmware is proof that VM want to control what the user can and cannot do on CPE rather than simply making it easier for newbies.

---------- Post added at 17:55 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

ok I have 192.168.100.1 working now for the gui, but port 22 ssh is refused, so my guess is they have closed it as a deliberate change.

I mean the port is closed for the refuse not an auth failure. So the sshd is either shutdown or there is a firewall running sending a rst packet.

I even get the connection refused with my laptop directly connected to the superhub (not via dir615) using a lan ip in superhub dhcp pool.

bonjan
19-03-2011, 18:21
For clarification, I'm not running the beta firmware.
I'm using the stock one, V5.5.2R20.

Chrysalis
19-03-2011, 18:56
yep I figured, so ironically those with stock firmware will get bridge mode first :p

I have done the same as a few others and fired of an email to CEO office asking for a vmng300.

bonjan
19-03-2011, 19:02
Indeed, I already did and my vmng300 should arrive on Monday. I had to talk to the cancellations department though. Neither customer services nor the technical team were able to help me (they're not allowed).
Latency is still crap, it oscillates a lot, and it's way over the 15ms that I was expecting. Still looking forward to remove this device from my living room.

Peter_
19-03-2011, 21:31
Indeed, I already did and my vmng300 should arrive on Monday. I had to talk to the cancellations department though. Neither customer services nor the technical team were able to help me (they're not allowed).

We have never ever been able to send out a VMNG300 modem as they could only be replaced by engineers.

GavChap
20-03-2011, 09:07
I've had a go with this bridge mode, works very well, is there a way to reverse it should I need to?

http://www.pingtest.net/result/37250467.png (http://www.pingtest.net)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/03/35.png

Kymmy
20-03-2011, 09:18
I've had a go with this bridge mode, works very well, is there a way to reverse it should I need to?

I presume you just change TRUE to FALSE and FALSE to TRUE

GavChap
20-03-2011, 09:28
I presume you just change TRUE to FALSE and FALSE to TRUE

Sometimes things aren't that simple!

Kymmy
20-03-2011, 09:48
With true/false statements it will be..

Surely though if you can change the statement then you can view the setting before hand to confirm the original settings :rolleyes:

But if you have to ask then should you be altering the settings ;)

bonjan
20-03-2011, 10:53
GavChap, while I haven't tried it, the superhub remains reachable at 192.168.100.1, and I can ssh to it successfully. You should enable the Residential Gateway "feature" and disable the WAN dhcp skip:

ssh admin@192.168.100.1
changeme

cd non-vol
cd rg
wan_feature_config capt_skip_dhcp false
rg_enable true
write

You can also completely revert to the factory defaults, that should work too.

---------- Post added at 10:40 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

Masque, I was told that an installer will call me tomorrow. Not sure if they'll post it to me or if they'll come back to my house again.
I don't understand why they can't post it to me though. I think that I'm qualified to attach it and give the MAC address to VM to enable it.

I really hope that they call me on Monday, my latency is crap: http://www.pingtest.net/result/37253320.png

I was told that they were sending it to me from the CEO office, where they have some. Neither customer services or technical support are allowed to replace a superhub with a modem, so I talked to cancellations.

Since they don't really understand technical features such VLANs, IPv6 tunnels, etc., the feature that did the trick for me was the USB port that I use to share my printer. I also mentioned the simultaneous dual band that my existing router supports.

---------- Post added at 10:53 ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 ----------

Besides I'm not 100% positive on this statement, I reckon that the latency issue is unrelated to the superhub running in NAT mode or in bridge mode.

I had quite decent latency on Tuesday (30Mb/1Mb), when I got VM installed. I reckon that the oscillations in the latency started later, around Thursday, when I got 30Mb/3Mb, and the superhub was still running in NAT mode. Could somebody comment on this? I heard that there's a compatibility issue between the superhub and some UBRs at certain zones, is that true? Has the latency issue been already discussed in another thread?

Peter_
20-03-2011, 11:48
Masque, I was told that an installer will call me tomorrow. Not sure if they'll post it to me or if they'll come back to my house again.
I don't understand why they can't post it to me though. I think that I'm qualified to attach it and give the MAC address to VM to enable it.

The has never been an option for us to send out that particular modem, we can send every other type except that one if they are already on the account.

Customer Services have never been able to send modems out as they would have no reason to send one out as they cannot know if the existing one is faulty.

BenMcr
20-03-2011, 12:00
Customer Services have never been able to send modems out as they would have no reason to send one out as they cannot know if the existing one is faulty.Not quite true ;)

If a customer needed a new modem due a tier uplift then they have been able to send them out - same as they can send out SuperHubs at a 30Mbit upgrade

Zing
20-03-2011, 12:07
I am confused about the question and the poll.

is the question "does it work for you" meaning did the process described in OP work for the user or did it fix a problem people had?

There are 17 people saying they do not need it. Why is that part of the poll? its misleading the results for either way you look at the question.

If you see the question as "did the method work for you" then those who have not tried do not need an option because they have not tried it

If you see the question as "did it fix a problem" then those who do not have a problem do not need an option to vote surely?

By adding the final option you are also leaving out the option " I do not have a superhub" and the question in either way is as irrelevent to me as those ticking my superhub works fine.

Isnt the whole point of this bridging mode to allow users to use there own routers as a router and not a switch anyway???

bonjan
20-03-2011, 12:18
Thanks Masque. I don't care which modem they send me or they install me, as long as the latency becomes normal again. Tomorrow I'll know (I hope).

For me, not being able to use my own router is enough to consider the superhub faulty, as are the roller coaster latency times that I get. I can't believe that I get worst latency on cable than on ADSL, and if the reason is the superhub, then the superhub is faulty.

Next time, VM runs a test with a reduced group of users, and holds the final rollout until everybody is happy. This time, they go straight to vanish all the benefits of the best broadband network with a custom firmware that it's obviously not polished enough, nor meets the needs of all customers.

I can't share my printer.
I can't use DynDNS (unless I'm technical enough to ssh into the device and find the option).
I can't create an IPv6 tunnel.
I can't use 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands at a time.
I can't configure VLANs.

While most customers will be fine with the superhub, and I reckon that it's indeed a good idea for most of them, since it's simpler and will create less support issues and calls to VM, ignoring the technical users it's a wrong decision, since most users always pay attention to what their techie colleagues or friends say. And instead of having us spraying the word that VM is the best they can go for, most of us are furious being forced to use a device that it's well below the specs than our own existing routers.

All I wanted is to unplug my existing router from my ADSL (bridge mode) router and plug it in the modem from VM, and keep everything as it was. It turned out that keeping my existing network setup has been a nightmare and I've had to spend several hours on something that I was expecting to take 5 minutes. And while I get higher up and down speeds, the high and variable latency vanishes those benefits.

If the modem doesn't fix the latency issue, or if I don't get it, I'll use my 28 days "happyness guarantee" and leave VM, since Infinity is reaching my house in two months, and as far as I know, I won't have any of these issues.

Bottom line: all my office knows the issues I'm having with VM, and I don't get them fixed, probably nobody else there won't consider VM. Neither will their friends, and maybe the friends of their friends. Again, ignoring techie users is a big mistake. We'll get what we want somehow anyway, and the bad reputation will take a while to be fixed by tv commercials.

---------- Post added at 12:18 ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 ----------

Zing, the last option of the poll was added afterwards, and was meant to be a joke. I guess that we can understand the last option as "I'm fine without simultaneous dualband, DynDNS, etc".

The whole point is indeed being able to use your own router. Did it work for you?

Zing
20-03-2011, 12:25
aint got a superhub yet but my first job with one is one day this week so having a little look around for possible pitfalls

Chrysalis
20-03-2011, 15:32
I be surprised if the modem itself is the cause of latency, thats most likely a problem VM network side, eg. congestion.

bonjan
20-03-2011, 18:30
I agree, latency with the superhub was almost decent before the upgrade from 30Mb/1Mb to 30Mb/3Mb. Should I get a modem tomorrow, I'll post the difference, in any.

In the meantime, I'm quite unhappy with the current latency:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/03/34.png (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/3882bee7ac9317b0987ea476cd2d127a.html)

Skie
20-03-2011, 18:41
Going back to the spare VMNG300 I had floating around has dropped my ping by a tad. But more welcome is that I dont need to reboot the blasted thing every day because it decides either wireless or lan access is abhorrent. It was in the attic, so rebooting it wasnt much fun :p

Pings still arent great though. Ever since I went from 20meg to 50 I've seen them get pretty pants.

bonjan
20-03-2011, 18:55
Skie, do you mean that I don't need an installer to install a VMNG300? (Kidding). I'm happy to read that my pings will improve if I get the modem.

The superhub is bad even in bridge mode... Is there any feature at all that this device handles properly?

Skie
20-03-2011, 19:08
Is "it's shiny" a feature?

As to needing an engineer, I almost had to call VM out because there was a massive spider looking at me funny while I was screwing the coax in. Happily though both units must still be registered on VM's systems as I didnt have to call support to have the modem connect. Web browsing actually seems faster, much snappier to load a page. I dont think its going to solve all of your problems, but just having the SH out of the equation will at least let you see exactly when VM's network is being pants.

BenMcr
20-03-2011, 19:15
The superhub is bad even in bridge mode... Is there any feature at all that this device handles properly?You mean the mode you put it in. We don't know what the official bridge mode will do, as it hasn't been released

bonjan
20-03-2011, 19:23
Skie, good to know that I'll face further problems...

BenMcr, yes, I mean the mode where I disable the "Residential Gateway" feature, that in turn disables the whole NAT stack and the DHCP client, so my router gets the public IP address straight from VMs DHCP server. I just found convenient saying bridge mode, since it seems to be a general accepted shorter term.

Chrysalis
20-03-2011, 19:45
I agree, latency with the superhub was almost decent before the upgrade from 30Mb/1Mb to 30Mb/3Mb. Should I get a modem tomorrow, I'll post the difference, in any.

In the meantime, I'm quite unhappy with the current latency:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/03/34.png (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/3882bee7ac9317b0987ea476cd2d127a.html)

I dont know if it will make you feel better but your latency looks better than VM's average. I was expecting to see a graph filled with blue and yellow.

its rare to get 0-1ms jitter on VM.

zekeisaszekedoes
20-03-2011, 21:16
We have never ever been able to send out a VMNG300 modem as they could only be replaced by engineers.

Since that guy is the fourth or fifth to mention getting one your constant reiteration of this alleged fact is starting to look rather silly.

There are 17 people saying they do not need it. Why is that part of the poll? its misleading the results for either way you look at the question.

Damage control by VM, perhaps? Getting people to skew the poll seems like a standard way of trying to keep a lid on the situation. Of course it probably isn't that, but the possibility is there.

Bottom line: all my office knows the issues I'm having with VM, and I don't get them fixed, probably nobody else there won't consider VM. Neither will their friends, and maybe the friends of their friends. Again, ignoring techie users is a big mistake. We'll get what we want somehow anyway, and the bad reputation will take a while to be fixed by tv commercials.

I think the TV commercials could be causing a bad reputation on their own! Saying that they are cheesy is an understatement.

More to the point though, VM's delay of rolling out a bridge mode and conversely rushing out the new CPE in the first place is one thing. Terrible handling of the situation is quite another... it's the difference between mere incompetence and appaling customer service.

---

About the latency thing... yes, in my experience the Super Hub does make things worse. This applies to V5.5.2R20 firmware and the beta version, both of which I've used for as long as I could stand. So it _might_ be a network thing which is added to by the Super Hub.

Sadly I can't test the bridge mode as my Super Hub has the beta, unless there's a way to revert to standard firmware, but knowing how these things are usually stored on flash memory whereby the new version permanently overwrites the old, without a copy of the original it can't be done.

Peter_
20-03-2011, 22:10
Since that guy is the fourth or fifth to mention getting one your constant reiteration of this alleged fact is starting to look rather silly.

Are you not capable of of reading what I have actually stated as Fact! all Technical Support Agents have never ever from day one of the introduction of the VMNG300 modem been able to send out a replacement due to it not being available on our systems to send out how ever hard we look it is simply not there.

So it is not possible to look silly if I telling you how our system works, and if you had actually read those posts by people receiving one that they have been sent by another department every single time.

I am a 50Mb Technical Support Agent and have supported 50Mb since day one and in that time I have only ever been able to book an engineer to replace a modem, so if I take a call from a customer with a VMNG300 modem tomorrow and it was deemed to be faulty and I sent out an engineer then they will get it swapped out for a Superhub as that is all they carry now.

So instead of trying to say that it is an alleged fact please first read what I have stated first as otherwise you will find yourself looking rather silly as it suddenly dawns on you that you misread my previous posts.

Chrysalis
20-03-2011, 22:35
even if we had somehow a copy of the firmware we have no way to flash it, seems it can be done remotely only, may have been possible via ssh but that is now locked out on the beta firmware.

is kind of amusing VM had time to lockout ssh but not add bridge mode which should be just as simple to do.

bonjan
21-03-2011, 00:29
Are you not capable of of reading what I have actually stated as Fact! all Technical Support Agents have never ever from day one of the introduction of the VMNG300 modem been able to send out a replacement due to it not being available on our systems to send out how ever hard we look it is simply not there.

So it is not possible to look silly if I telling you how our system works, and if you had actually read those posts by people receiving one that they have been sent by another department every single time.

I am a 50Mb Technical Support Agent and have supported 50Mb since day one and in that time I have only ever been able to book an engineer to replace a modem, so if I take a call from a customer with a VMNG300 modem tomorrow and it was deemed to be faulty and I sent out an engineer then they will get it swapped out for a Superhub as that is all they carry now.

Indeed, my experience says that neither Technical Support nor Customer Service guys can't order a modem to replace a suberhub. I know because I called both, and neither had the permissions to do so. As I said, I got it from cancellations (or whatever fancy name the department has, I don't remember it).

I have to admit, though, that my call to Technical Support was extremely pleasant, since the person who attended me was extremely kind and helpful, he explained me properly that they were not allowed to do this replacement, and suggested me to address my request to Customer Service, and then ask for a manager escalation. And she didn't try to fool me with lies and *******s as Customer Service did. Thank you Masque and thank you guys from Technical Support for doing your best.

Technical Support A+, Customer Service F.

hjf288
21-03-2011, 03:14
even if we had somehow a copy of the firmware we have no way to flash it, seems it can be done remotely only, may have been possible via ssh but that is now locked out on the beta firmware.

is kind of amusing VM had time to lockout ssh but not add bridge mode which should be just as simple to do.

You could probably flash it from SSH but would need a transfer method or TFTP Id assume

Peter_
21-03-2011, 06:01
Indeed, my experience says that neither Technical Support nor Customer Service guys can't order a modem to replace a suberhub. I know because I called both, and neither had the permissions to do so. As I said, I got it from cancellations (or whatever fancy name the department has, I don't remember it).

I have to admit, though, that my call to Technical Support was extremely pleasant, since the person who attended me was extremely kind and helpful, he explained me properly that they were not allowed to do this replacement, and suggested me to address my request to Customer Service, and then ask for a manager escalation. And she didn't try to fool me with lies and *******s as Customer Service did. Thank you Masque and thank you guys from Technical Support for doing your best.

Technical Support A+, Customer Service F.
Customer Service do not have the permissions required to send out replacement modems or routers, all they can do is sell you a router or a package.

bonjan
21-03-2011, 11:00
Masque: That's indeed what I said. I have no doubt that you would send it to us if you could.

A possibility for those running the beta firmware would be finding secret pages on the web interface, that is, pages that exist but are not linked from the main page.

Since I still have ssh access, I'll dig into that when I have some spare time. Should I find something, I'll post it.

theoldbill
21-03-2011, 15:10
Installed 100meg this morning, all is well but haven't really hammered it yet (like transferring gig's at gigabit across all ports concurrently, for e.g.) but no lock-ups so far, disabling firewall features did add an extra ~10meg to the download speed (to give ~98meg in most tests).

I'm going to miss being able to clone the WAN MAC address to get a new IP occasionally (even if just for security every month or so), without sticking it in bridge mode using the method in this thread :(.

theoldbill
21-03-2011, 15:16
I know you're only playing with me... you know which one I am referring to, the WAN MAC on the router side. And since you know the router function is all in one on the Superhub you knew I was meaning that... surely.

theoldbill
21-03-2011, 15:23
Yes Masque *if* the device was in bridge mode, as it stands mine isn't so it wouldn't be as easy as this now!

Incidentally for those saying 'well why would you need a new IP at times'... well, not mentioning those getting banned from sites for whatever reason, if you do torrents or if your connection is generally slow, by getting a new IP it sometimes brings things back to life, call it a fresh start.

Peter_
21-03-2011, 15:27
I have removed those posts as I was being stupid and forgot which device we were talking about, my error.:dunce:

theoldbill
21-03-2011, 15:30
Incidentally, this Superhub... are Virgin finally confident it is now futureproof so they can stop wasting cash replacing hardware for future new speed tiers? :)

Peter_
21-03-2011, 15:33
Incidentally, this Superhub... are Virgin finally confident it is now futureproof so they can stop wasting cash replacing hardware for future new speed tiers? :)
It is supposed to be capable of 400Mb but I expect new kit when we get there.

darkm
21-03-2011, 15:34
I heard that there's a compatibility issue between the superhub and some UBRs at certain zones, is that true?

Can you clarify this what problems are ~VM having with the superhub on UBR's?

Milambar
21-03-2011, 16:49
Just a comment, but the fact that a USER has found that putting it into bridge mode is possible via ssh, and VM's reaction by closing the SSH ports in the beta firmware (without enabling bridge mode), suggests that its more a control issue than a technical issue for VM.

Especially when VM said it wasn't possible with the current firmware, and a USER proves them to be "incorrect" at best.

darkm
21-03-2011, 16:56
but does the hub now act nothing more than a modem and pass all the traffic trhough for your own router to handle?

Chrysalis
21-03-2011, 20:23
a new can of worms has opened up as some testers claim their ssh works fine, I am trying everything like disabling DMZ etc. but I simply get a closed ssh port on my superhub.

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 18:18 ----------

I portscanned my superhub all 65536 ports form laptop.

interesting 2 things.

1 - the superhub was very slow and laggy during the scan, so a simple port scan crippled it. Might explain why this ip flood protection has been added, as I am going to repeat the scan with that enabled to see if it lags again.
2 - no port 22 response at all, not even filtered, but is a few higher port numbers listed.

Attaching the nmap output as a txt file here.

---------- Post added at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

nmap scan results.

On ip 192.168.0.1 I get few ports such as

22,23,80,443,1900,500,8080 only 80 and 5000 open rest closed.

On ip 192.168.100.1 only port 80 even shows, the rest are listed as filtered.

Enabling/disabling the firewall doesnt affect the results at all.

bonjan
21-03-2011, 23:22
Especially when VM said it wasn't possible with the current firmware, and a USER proves them to be "incorrect" at best.

Actually 7 people have reported that it works for them in the poll.

The ssh feature (that by the way, doesn't allow you to open two sessions at a time) doesn't seem to be meant for end users, according to this post (http://forum1.netgear.com/showpost.php?p=259826&postcount=2) at Netgear forums. I believe it, since *everything* can be changed by ssh:

upload a new firmware by tftp from any ip address.
completely erase the flash memory with zeros (erasing the firmware).
setting all the upstream and downstream calibration parameters (such as transmission power, frequency and several more things that I don't understand).
changing the mac address of *any* interface.
enable and disable usb and bluetooth (obviously the hardware may not be present).
enable or disable the number of tuners that you want, reducing power consumption (my web interface shows 8 tuners available for download, but only 4 are used, and the other 4 are just wasting my pennies).
enable or disable 1024QAM.

Also, the speed cap values must be somewhere, I just don't know where to find them, since the amount of options is overwhelming. That means that:

There is probably no easy way to fool the web interface to enable ssh, since the option to enable ssh is probably not present on the stock, original Netgear web interface either.
ssh will be disabled in all further releases from VM. There's no chance that they'll allow us to play with those values. We could probably even bring down our neighbors.

So for me, after wasting so much time on something that should've been plug&play, it's clear: I'll run a modem. If VM provides it, fine. If they don't, somebody else instead of VM will provide me one, but there's no way that I'm going to run on what, at its best, it's barely a beta release of a device.

After working from home today, I called VM again at noon, and they apologized for the confusion: they won't send a technician to install the modem, they've already posted it to me instead. When I asked which modem did they send, they told me that the superhub, of course! I asked her to doublecheck that before going mad, and she told me, after checking the order details, that it was, indeed, a VMNG300.

Call 150, choose the option "if you're thinking on leaving us", and ask them to either provide you a modem or cancel the contract. When they ask why, give them easy to understand reasons (such as the missing USB port to share your printer).

Chrysalis
21-03-2011, 23:41
My spare superhub still has open ssh yet this one connected to the internet doesnt.

What seems quite possible is ssh isnt meant to have worked at all, and a bug is making it accessible sometimes on the modem ip, which would explain why its inconsistent and works for some but not everyone.

My theory of VM disabling it remotely seems less plausible as they probably would doo it network wide. rather than a few randm people.

bonjan
21-03-2011, 23:59
which would explain why its inconsistent and works for some but not everyone.

I thought that only the beta firmware had ssh disabled, and that the original firmware had ssh enabled. Isn't that the case? Does that mean that, on top of everything else, I've been lucky?

Chrysalis
22-03-2011, 02:05
I thought that only the beta firmware had ssh disabled, and that the original firmware had ssh enabled. Isn't that the case? Does that mean that, on top of everything else, I've been lucky?

2 things suggest otherwise.

1 - some beta testers are saying they can access ssh. not all tho, some like myself cannot.
2 - I remember not been able to access ssh for a while before my firmware got updated as well, I have only been able to access it once on this superhub.

I initially assumed was blocked on the beta firmware as to start with no beta testers said they could use it.

Chrysalis
22-03-2011, 19:08
my firmware has been flashed back to default and I still cannot access ssh. :(

GavChap
22-03-2011, 22:14
Had a problem today with bridge mode, modem received a reboot command (I think) and lost the bridge setting, I can put it back, but it's annoying!

bonjan
22-03-2011, 23:05
I received my VMNG300 today. It's funny because they send the technician to my house, and somebody must be present, but he only handed it to my partner, instead of installing it. What's the point of sending a technician then? Why do somebody needs to be at home? Never mind...

After a really long call (next time I'll plug the modem before calling them, it's quite difficult to attach the coax cable to the modem while holding the phone), the MAC address was registered and I got the modem working. I didn't change anything on my router, just unplug it from the superhub, plug it to the modem and running again. Even my public IP address remains the same.

Results:
* Same speed as before, 30Mb/3Mb (good).
* Same latency and jitter as before (bad):

Superhub:
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 16.416/26.654/53.093/7.878 ms

VMNG300:
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 15.332/23.435/57.847/8.473 ms

Conclusions:
* I'm exactly as I was before, with very variable latency.
* I don't have any hope of fixing that, since you all agree that this is the standard VM behaviour.
* Don't believe anything from Customer Services. They are liars. My broadband works exactly the same way as it did with the superhub, when they assured me that I wouldn't even get connection, or I would get a much slower speed at best.

I'm sad, since when I was living in Spain, I had a stable 8ms latency pinging to the university at any time of the day (with my Motorola SB4100 that I still have). I had zero jitter during the four years I had my DOCSIS1 connection.
Trying to be positive, the only advantage is that VM can not reboot my modem and convert it in a crappy router, as GavChap mentions.

Skie
22-03-2011, 23:59
Bonjan: Odd that you haven't seen any real change in pings, though one quick ping probably isn't going to be the best metric.

I've made the same change, and actually halved my gaming ping. Which is nice: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33676062-abandoned-the-superhub-went-back-vmng300.html

bonjan
23-03-2011, 00:04
Bonjan: Odd that you haven't seen any real change in pings, though one quick ping probably isn't going to be the best metric

I agree:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share-thumb/5d83b5ee419d7171a96228ebe43e00a4-23-03-2011.png (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/5d83b5ee419d7171a96228ebe43e00a4-23-03-2011.html)

To be honest, the connection feels snappier, but numbers don't prove that at all.

Chrysalis
23-03-2011, 05:17
others have reported the same weirdness as me now, so I am no longer alone.

able to initially use ssh and then superhub reboot itself, after reboot ssh locked out.

GavChap
23-03-2011, 20:32
They're definitely resetting bridge mode remotely. It happened again today. Annoying!

Chrysalis
23-03-2011, 22:54
this would suggest logs or something are been sent remotely to somewhere from the device, and I guess (as it be too much work to analyze all of them manually) some kind of automated tool flags specific ones. Then anything they dont like they change remotely.

Its no surprise then that they dragging their feet on the bridge mode as they obviously want people to use a router they can control remotely.

---------- Post added at 22:54 ---------- Previous post was at 21:01 ----------

Hmm I just noticed the post that VM made on their forums about a release date for the bridge mode is gone, maybe its still there and I cant see it but seems to be gone.

BenMcr
23-03-2011, 23:04
Hmm I just noticed the post that VM made on their forums about a release date for the bridge mode is gone, maybe its still there and I cant see it but seems to be gone.There is a referencein this post:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Super-Hub-Problems-Update-16-03-11/m-p/386049#M67261

Note: this firmware does not include Modem Mode (Bridge Mode) for the Super Hub, that will be released for testing at a future date. But volunteers to test this firmware will be first in line to test the Modem Mode firmware when it becomes available

---------- Post added at 23:04 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

And the thread you posted in the first place ;)

here.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Superhub-Firmware-Update-Bridge-Mode/td-p/341483

asking for testers.

they havent stated how to apply tho.

Chrysalis
23-03-2011, 23:21
yeah that 2nd url is it.

Dont know why its no longer sticky. It will be dissapointing if VM revert to "when its available" instead of a date. Could be enough to make me cancel as I think this situation is a complete joke now.

pip08456
24-03-2011, 08:04
yeah that 2nd url is it.

Dont know why its no longer sticky. It will be dissapointing if VM revert to "when its available" instead of a date. Could be enough to make me cancel as I think this situation is a complete joke now.

It's no longer a sticky as they don't need any more testers. Those who have already applied and been accepted will be the first to get it.

Rather obvious really.

Chrysalis
24-03-2011, 09:16
well it should be sticky as its a FAQ.

Where else is a estimated date stated in their stickies?

The reason I even looked for it again is because I found new posts from others asking the question when is it coming.

A few of us banged on about this to alex brown saying how important it is to have dates instead of "coming soon" etc.

So you think they have seperate testers already for the bridge mode? Remember when I asked you why I had no reply to my application? you said because they wont start until april. All of a sudden that post becomes unstickied yet the trial "before" it is still sticky.

So we have a trial that started about 2 weeks ago or so, still stickied, a trial starting (supposedbly) in april and is no longer sticky.

kalleh
24-03-2011, 17:38
I was currently running this but came home today to find my superhub has now been disabled SSH access and reverted back to original state. really is a pathetic excuse of a device compared to my DIR615. still getting upload speeds which are so up and down constantly throughout the day with pings spiking too due albiet not a superhub issue but is a fault somewhere else which VM are denying to the death sick of having to ring up constantly.

Chrysalis
24-03-2011, 18:12
I may contact some news sites about this, this is a first that I know off where it looks like an isp is monitoring activity on customer's routers which it must be to be individually disable ssh on specific routers.

talk about control freaks.

pip08456
24-03-2011, 18:29
Not control freaks really Chrys, their equipment, their resonsabiliy.

BenMcr
24-03-2011, 18:38
Indeed. Considering going in via SSH is altering settings not available via the interface I'm not suprised they are undoing it.

It's about the same as fiddling around with the installer settings in the STBs

Chrysalis
24-03-2011, 18:49
if they changed it on masse then that would seem normal.

But you not understanding what I am saying.

Instead it looks like they monitoring activity on the everyones superhub and specifically targeting superhub's where ssh has been accessed to disable it, as well as resetting bridge mode.

This is potentially as bad as the phorm farce.

BenMcr
24-03-2011, 19:07
Instead it looks like they monitoring activity on the everyones superhub and specifically targeting superhub's where ssh has been accessed to disable it, as well as resetting bridge mode.And? You are enabling a setting that is not part of the customer interface.

Whether it's a modem or a SuperHub it's still Virgin's kit. There are probably automated systems in place to make sure that Virgin's equipment is performing as Virgin expect.

This is potentially as bad as the phorm farce.
Except it's not.

pip08456
24-03-2011, 19:13
Sorry Chrys, in this case I've got to agree with Ben.

Chrysalis
24-03-2011, 20:04
Ben I havent enabled any setting.

All I did was login to ssh once, then after that mine was locked out.

Regardless of who is doing what tho, my concern isnt that sshd is been locked out (is expected), but rather VM have a way to know who is specifically using it and resetting settings remotely. So I am using a superhub that phones home every so often reporting god knows what.

So VM force people to use their kit, then they have the excuse because its their kit they can be control freaks.

BenMcr
24-03-2011, 20:05
Think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this!

pip08456
24-03-2011, 20:14
That's a conspiracy theory that doesn't work Chrys.

VM don't have to monitor anyone in the respect that you are putting forward. You're modem is contually asking the network for an updated firmware file, if it's the same that it has it does nothing else. If different it will download and install it.

It's the way the network works. No "Big Brother".

Chrysalis
24-03-2011, 20:16
Incidently its not a unique trend to have equipment that phones home, sky tv boxes do it amongst other things.

However the difference is the customer is told before hand and this is the first I have heard of broadband equipment doing it.

PIP the asking for new firmware isnt relevant here, changing a setting doesnt change the version of the firmware nor does simply logging into ssh do that. Its obviously sending at least 1 log out.

Ignitionnet
24-03-2011, 20:21
I may contact some news sites about this, this is a first that I know off where it looks like an isp is monitoring activity on customer's routers which it must be to be individually disable ssh on specific routers.

talk about control freaks.

Or they just noted that the client MAC address didn't match what it should be on the Super Hubs which would be an expected security measure. Regardless they were noting activity on their CPE, not on the customers' own routers.

Just FYI VM can and do probe modems and hubs on an automated basis for security and network performance monitoring purposes. This is something worth getting used to as it's the same story on FTTP where ONTs are probed to build up data on the performance of the optical circuits and indeed Openreach have this capability on their current revision of FTTC where they require use of their own CPE.

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

Incidently its not a unique trend to have equipment that phones home, sky tv boxes do it amongst other things.

However the difference is the customer is told before hand and this is the first I have heard of broadband equipment doing it.

PIP the asking for new firmware isnt relevant here, changing a setting doesnt change the version of the firmware nor does simply logging into ssh do that. Its obviously sending at least 1 log out.

No, the client MAC address will be whatever the customer has put behind the hub rather than the hub's own LAN side MAC. Doesn't require phoning home at all.

Per my previous post this is far from abnormal especially on higher end broadband networks where CPE / network termination is supplied.

Chrysalis
24-03-2011, 20:22
thats a viable explanation for detecting bridge mode.

but what about knowing if ssh has been accessed?

When I logged into ssh all I did was run a few list commands and that was it, bam disabled the next day.

People on FTTC have been swapping out modems without issue, I expect this to only be a temporary requirement on FTTC and within a year or 2 they will allow self installs, like the early days of adsl was engineer install only with the speedray usb modem.

Ignitionnet
24-03-2011, 20:27
thats a viable explanation for detecting bridge mode.

but what about knowing if ssh has been accessed?

When I logged into ssh all I did was run a few list commands and that was it, bam disabled the next day.

Coincidence. The Super Hub isn't phoning home it is periodically polled in common with the rest of VM's CPE and this probably won't include anything on your accessing SSH.

VM aren't going to push a command to your modem alone, they don't have the resources, that would have been pushed to every Super Hub being managed by the same servers as yours.

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:26 ----------

People on FTTC have been swapping out modems without issue, I expect this to only be a temporary requirement on FTTC and within a year or 2 they will allow self installs, like the early days of adsl was engineer inmstall only with the speedray usb modem.

Probably though my point with regards to FTTP remains.

Glad you appreciate that it's not some bizarre VM-only thing and that they are not the only broadband provider in the world that polls CPE.

Chrysalis
24-03-2011, 20:28
ok so the explanation been that its been done in batches, that seems viable I guess, I got no real way of testing that tho.

pip08456
24-03-2011, 20:29
I should imagine due to security issues with cloned modems etc it would be self apparent.

Chrysalis
24-03-2011, 20:30
Glad you appreciate that it's not some bizarre VM-only thing and that they are not the only broadband provider in the world that polls CPE.

I have no issue with polling to monitor performance and reliability, the concern was logs been sent out of user activity.

hjf288
24-03-2011, 21:09
I highly doubt they are logging stuff and my SSH/Web interface stops responding occasionally and requires a modem reboot.

Their remote provisioning server probably resets settings to how its defined, thats nothing new and ADSL ISPs are doing it via TR-069/CWMP...

There are 2 states - dynamic and permanent for settings on the superhub, would be worth checking which one is triggered when saving..

pip08456
24-03-2011, 21:39
If true/false is not the answer then how about 1/0

Chrysalis
24-03-2011, 22:51
I highly doubt they are logging stuff and my SSH/Web interface stops responding occasionally and requires a modem reboot.

Their remote provisioning server probably resets settings to how its defined, thats nothing new and ADSL ISPs are doing it via TR-069/CWMP...

There are 2 states - dynamic and permanent for settings on the superhub, would be worth checking which one is triggered when saving..

this is not something that comes back alive after a reboot, the ssh is permantly closed.

also people have had forced reboot's so again its not a case of it not been saved properly and going back on a normal reboot. in fact if you read the guide it states you have to reboot to even apply the settings so that disproves that theory.

which adsl isp's are doing it I am curious? the isp that comes closest to making it hard to use another router is sky as they hide the auth details.

hjf288
25-03-2011, 01:24
BE/O2 use TR-069 so the capability is there, Sky and Talk talk/tiscali.. they only ones I've had pleasure of using..

pip08456
25-03-2011, 01:38
In a nutshell Kymmy

GavChap
25-03-2011, 09:10
I've just set it up to double NAT with DMZ until Virgin sorts out bridge mode, or sends me a modem.

kalleh
25-03-2011, 11:56
SSH access now restored on my superhub strangely enough!

kalleh
25-03-2011, 16:50
ssh now disabled again!

BkS
11-04-2012, 07:45
Sorry to bump such an old thread guys, but I was wondering if one of you could help.

I'm an ex-Virgin customer, and have 2 spare superhubs. I'm able to SSH into them, and enter the password needed, and then answer the questions accordingly. After it finishes asking me questions it then constantly updates itself.

Now it could be just because I'm new to SSH, but how does one go about entering the following commands?

I'm a long time Linux user, never been a fan of the Windoze crap (sorry if I people get offended by that) and really needing help.

Currently the router sits at it's default settings, but I need to change it to be a wireless bridge in order to work with my router downstairs so that I can give my newly-built server access to the network. Running cables isn't an option atm since I don't have the funds present and I figured giving one of the Superhubs an actual functional job would work until I have money to run a cable from the router downstairs to a switch upstairs to the computers and new-built server.

Not the best when it comes to networks, I know a little more than the average user.

Local IP for router downstairs: 192.168.0.1

Stuart
11-04-2012, 10:50
I don't think the superhubs will work. It sounds like they are trying to download a config or firmware from the VM network, which, if you are an ex customer, you won't get.

BkS
11-04-2012, 11:22
I'll just post up what terminal outputs:

bally@bally-laptop $ ssh admin@192.168.100.1
admin@192.168.100.1's password:
CG3101D>
CG3101D> 330250000 Hz...

================================================== ============
Finish scanning LKF Table.

234250000 Hz...
226250000 Hz...
218250000 Hz...
Found energy at 218250000 Hz.
Frequency was not from native pattern. Clearing energy frequency.
210250000 Hz...
202250000 Hz...
194250000 Hz...
186250000 Hz...
Found energy at 186250000 Hz.
178250000 Hz...
170250000 Hz...
162250000 Hz...
154250000 Hz...
Found energy at 154250000 Hz.
146250000 Hz...
138250000 Hz...
130250000 Hz...
122250000 Hz...
Found energy at 122250000 Hz.
114250000 Hz...
Logging event: CAP unable to make C-NAPT mapping. No WAN IP address available
106250000 Hz...
98250000 Hz...
858750000 Hz...
850750000 Hz...
842750000 Hz...
Found energy at 842750000 Hz.
834750000 Hz...
[00:08:53 01/01/1970] [DHCP Server Thread] BcmDhcpServerThread::ThreadMain: (DHCP Server Thread) Callback request expired:
timerDuration secs = 1
current time secs = 533
elapsed time secs = 1
Lease with clientId: htype=0, value=00 a0 d1 ab 4e d1 Ip address: 192.168.0.2 has been offered to client!

CG3101D> 826750000 Hz...
818750000 Hz...
810750000 Hz...
Found energy at 810750000 Hz.
802750000 Hz...
794750000 Hz...
786750000 Hz...
778750000 Hz...
Found energy at 778750000 Hz.
770750000 Hz...

Scanning Last Known Frequency..

586750000 Hz...

Finish scanning Last Known Frequency

Scanning other LKFs..

402750000 Hz...
331000000 Hz...
339000000 Hz...
330750000 Hz...
338750000 Hz...
330250000 Hz...

Finish scanning LKF Table.

762750000 Hz...
754750000 Hz...
746750000 Hz...
[00:09:22 01/01/1970] [DHCP Server Thread] BcmDhcpServerThread::ThreadMain: (DHCP Server Thread) Callback request expired:
timerDuration secs = 1
current time secs = 562
elapsed time secs = 1
Lease with clientId: htype=0, value=00 a0 d1 ab 4e d1 Ip address: 192.168.0.2 has been offered to client!

CG3101D> Found energy at 746750000 Hz.
738750000 Hz...
730750000 Hz...
722750000 Hz...
714750000 Hz...
Found energy at 714750000 Hz.
706750000 Hz...
698750000 Hz...
690750000 Hz...
682750000 Hz...
Found energy at 682750000 Hz.
674750000 Hz...
666750000 Hz...
658750000 Hz...
650750000 Hz...
Found energy at 650750000 Hz.
642750000 Hz...
634750000 Hz...
626750000 Hz...
618750000 Hz...
Found energy at 618750000 Hz.
610750000 Hz...
602750000 Hz...
594750000 Hz...
586750000 Hz...
Found energy at 586750000 Hz.
578750000 Hz...
570750000 Hz...
[00:09:51 01/01/1970] [DHCP Server Thread] BcmDhcpServerThread::ThreadMain: (DHCP Server Thread) Callback request expired:
timerDuration secs = 1
current time secs = 591
elapsed time secs = 1

CG3101D> 562750000 Hz...
554750000 Hz...
546750000 Hz...
538750000 Hz...
530750000 Hz...

I can't personally can't tell from that output that it's looking for a config or firmware. Just looks like it's looking for an active connection.

Is it possible to put dd-wrt or open-wrt on this router?