PDA

View Full Version : How to download VM email to outlook AND Android Phone

frank.lui
19-03-2011, 08:08
Recently I got a VM Android phone (HTC Wildfire) so I decided to use its email function to download email during daytime and use outlook (on PC) to download emails when back home.
I found if I download emails in daytime, then I could not download the same email to outlook.
So I had a try on it. It looks like I can only download any email for only once. It soed not matter Android phone or outlook. First comes first serves.

I wonder if I could change some set up in VM email setting to allow me to download email to both Android phone and outlook. I want to read the email at work and keep the email in outlokk as record.

Anyone gives a tip? Thanks a lot!

jellybaby
19-03-2011, 08:40
I have a gmail account which picks my mail up from VM. I then setup my Android phone for gmail. This way all my mail is backed up on gmail and I can access it anywhere

Dav1d.
19-03-2011, 08:56
In order to pick up e-mail from more than one device, you need to use ":recent" mode on both devices.

The phone can then be set to leave messages on the server which will be picked up by Outlook. Full instructions for ":recent" mode are on the VM website.

qasdfdsaq
19-03-2011, 11:29
Or don't use POP3 at all, as it's outdated and inferior to the more recent IMAP, which automatically allows "downloading" of email onto all devices.

That is, if POP3 is your problem which we're just assuming it is

frank.lui
19-03-2011, 13:02
Or don't use POP3 at all, as it's outdated and inferior to the more recent IMAP, which automatically allows "downloading" of email onto all devices.

That is, if POP3 is your problem which we're just assuming it is

How to set up IMAP account then? I read VM help page of IMAP setup and
On the phone I select
incoming server: imap.ntlworld.com
outgoing server: smtp.ntlworld.com
Then I got a message saying the outgoing server is not recognisable so the account cannot be set up.
Then I changed outgoing server to: imap.ntlworld.com
The phone let the set up passed and I did received all old emails. Great!
But then I found I cannot send email out!

I am going to try "recent:" mode

qasdfdsaq
19-03-2011, 13:09
If you're using incoming server as imap.ntlworld.com and your client is setup to IMAP mode, it should already be using IMAP, if so the problem may be elsewhere though I can't think of where at the moment.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Dav1d.
19-03-2011, 17:22
I don't know if you can use smtp.ntlworld.com off of the VM broadband network (even on a VM mobile?)

I would sugest you try smtp.virginmedia.com using your ntlworld details.

frank.lui
19-03-2011, 17:57
Tried "recent:" mode does not work.
I added "recent:" to email address in outlook 2007. It does not send any email but receive.
No luck....

I know I can set a forward function in VM email and use Phone to pick up but it would make a mess if I want to reply. Any further email will go to the forwarded email box and not back to VM any more...

Dav1d.
19-03-2011, 19:49
Tried "recent:" mode does not work.
I added "recent:" to email address in outlook 2007. It does not send any email but receive.

It does if it is set up correctly :).

"Recent:" mode has nothing to do with sending, only receiving to multiple clients (unless you have put "recent:" in the wrong place).

It looks like you have more than one problem. The sending problem is different to the recieving problem and may again be different on the HTC phone and Outlook.

I think you need to look at each problem seperately.

GrimUpNorth
19-03-2011, 22:29
I'm using an old HTC hero on t-mobile and I've got a blueyonder address, so you'll need to tweak the settings...

This example assumes an email address of mrbigboyfartypants@blueyonder.co.uk (apologies to anyone who uses that address!!) and an email password of 12345678

INCOMING
email address: mrbigboyfartypants@blueyonder.co.uk
username: mrbigboyfartypants
incoming protocol: imap
imap server: imap4.blueyonder.co.uk
security:none
server port:143

OUTGOING
login required:yes
username:mrbigboyfartypants
password:12345678
smtp server:smtp.blueyonder.co.uk
security:none
server port:25

dont forget you need to log into web mail and make sure imap is enabled in your settings.

I can get my emails on my phone and in outlook, deleting from my phone doesn't have any impact in outlook and all emails are available in webmail even if they are deleted in outlook

Cheers
Grim

caph
19-03-2011, 22:54
You can't send emails using Virgin's mail server unless you have a Virgin IP address. This means you must send via a cable modem.

Originally they did this because there was no authentication on their servers so IP address restriction was their only option in preventing an open relay. Now they have authentication there is absolutely no reason why they need to do this. The sooner they remove this IP restriction the better.

You'll find that if you try to send an email from your phone it will stay in your outbox. Then if you connect via WIFI to your home Virgin connection the email will miraculously be sent OK without you changing any settings.

qasdfdsaq
19-03-2011, 23:49
They have authentication? Funny. When I enable authentication I get an error saying authentication not supported.

GrimUpNorth
20-03-2011, 16:18
You can't send emails using Virgin's mail server unless you have a Virgin IP address. This means you must send via a cable modem.

Originally they did this because there was no authentication on their servers so IP address restriction was their only option in preventing an open relay. Now they have authentication there is absolutely no reason why they need to do this. The sooner they remove this IP restriction the better.

You'll find that if you try to send an email from your phone it will stay in your outbox. Then if you connect via WIFI to your home Virgin connection the email will miraculously be sent OK without you changing any settings.

Just turned the WiFi off on my phone and can send emails from my blueyonder address no problem.

Cheers
Grim

bigsinky
21-03-2011, 13:32
^^^^^likewise from my blackberry bold. no probs sending and forwarding emails from my ntl account via my mobile.

caph
21-03-2011, 20:48
Just turned the WiFi off on my phone and can send emails from my blueyonder address no problem.

Cheers
Grim

Can I ask what smtp server address you are using? I'm using smtp.ntlworld.com and I can't send from a non-Virgin IP address.

I'd like to give whatever smtp server you're using a try because this problem has been bugging me for years now. Can you also let me know what port you use?

Thanks.

GrimUpNorth
22-03-2011, 07:35
Can I ask what smtp server address you are using? I'm using smtp.ntlworld.com and I can't send from a non-Virgin IP address.

I'd like to give whatever smtp server you're using a try because this problem has been bugging me for years now. Can you also let me know what port you use?

Thanks.

See post #10

Cheers
Grim

caph
22-03-2011, 13:36
See post #10

Cheers
Grim

Oops, yes, didn't see that.

Nope, doesn't work for ex-NTL. It looks like you Blueyonder guys have had it done properly. No joy for us ex-NTL users though. It's the same for lots of people in my local area. Send via 3G and nothing, send again while connected using WIFI and they all get sent a treat.

My usual workaround of having to use a GMail account to send will have to make do a while longer.