PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Acer aspire one wireless problem

paul q
18-03-2011, 21:03
Recently upgraded my broadband to the 50mb superhub service.
After installation had a problem in hooking one particular laptop to the wireless network i.e the aspire acer one netbook.
After many fustrating hours i finally identified the problem (no thanks what so ever to the Virgin technical staff whose kop out soultion was to sign upto their chargable "pc support service"which costs a minimum of £60 !!)
It transpires that the (new) wireless security the superhub is not compatatible with the Atheros (AR500 7EG) wireless adaptor installed in the acer netbook.

In order to resolve the problem you need to load new up to date drivers which for some reason windows xp was unable to locate via the windows update drivers facility inthe contro lpanel ??
However after much searching found the drivers myself and down loaded from the following site "WWW.ATHEROS.CZ" and can confirm that the software was virus free and fixed the problem !!
Hope this post will be of use to others who experience this problem and save you many hours of heart ache ;)

qasdfdsaq
18-03-2011, 21:54
It's well known that old Atheros drivers have problems with WPA/WPA2 security, I've seen it dozens of times on this forum and elsewhere.

jb66
18-03-2011, 22:02
Glad you got it sorted, interesting how windows never picked it up

paul q
18-03-2011, 22:23
It was as a result of experiencing this problem that I actually discovered this site as previously had no reason nor inclination to search out such a forum. I must admit that it is something of an eye opener and it is obviously a source of great knowledge and experience which I intend to further tap into cheers

Peter_
19-03-2011, 07:14
It is an issue with other brands of routers as I had to update my daughters Samsung in order for it to work with my Edimax router and due to that update it now also works fine with my Superhub.

qasdfdsaq
19-03-2011, 12:26
Indeed, it's not just the superhub, it could have problems with potentially any WPA-enabled routers. I for one have been called out to people on Sky and BT DSL with the same issues.

Unfortunately some companies simply do not provide drivers via Windows Update for reasons of costs or otherwise, Atheros seems to be one of them.