PDA

View Full Version : 20Mb to 30Mb

j53mercer
18-03-2011, 10:47
Will existing subscribers be upgraded from 20Mb to 30Mb and have the monthly charge reduced. If not do we have to leave and re-join if so seems Virgin are sticking two fingers up to existing subscribers. I have been with Blueyonder as it was for over 10 years.

RobboEdin
18-03-2011, 13:32
This has been discussed on various fora and is documented here:

http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/upgrade-to-faster-broadband.html

This states that the upgrade has a one-off £30 charge (to cover the cost of the activation and provision of the new superhub).

Although it also states that there is no changed monthly charge, it also states in the small print that you have to move to standard pricing when you take this upgrade. This could mean an increased total monthly charge if you are on some Retentions discount. It could also mean a decrease if you are not on standard discounted bundles.

telfordcable
18-03-2011, 13:34
Will existing subscribers be upgraded from 20Mb to 30Mb and have the monthly charge reduced. If not do we have to leave and re-join if so seems Virgin are sticking two fingers up to existing subscribers. I have been with Blueyonder as it was for over 10 years.

Just cancel and leave and re-join again as it will do the trick!

Peter_
18-03-2011, 15:35
Just cancel and leave and re-join again as it will do the trick!
Not really as that would take 90 days.https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/11/13.gif

qasdfdsaq
18-03-2011, 15:36
So if somebody moves out of a property VM will refuse to provide service to the new residents for 90 days?

Peter_
18-03-2011, 15:40
So if somebody moves out of a property VM will refuse to provide service to the new residents for 90 days?
Not quite but I see where you are coming from, if you cancel they will not provide service to you personally or a person deemed to be living with you ( Ben usually puts it better ) for 90 days as this used to happen a lot years ago.

Now if you were to move out and I was to move in then that would be a new account in my name and it would show as a new tenancy/mortgage agreement.

I expect if Ben sees this he will word it correctly.

BenMcr
18-03-2011, 15:55
The rules do keep changing on this, due to the differing policies between the ex-companies,

'persons being deemed to be living with you'. We get it quite a bit in divorce cases where one person has moved out without doing an appropriate transfer. Virgin will usually set them up as a new customer.

Disconnecting and Reconnecting is also a bit different. For instance you can't be eligible for the 'Connect A Friend' offer if you left Virgin in the last six months

Peter_
18-03-2011, 16:28
The rules do keep changing on this, due to the differing policies between the ex-companies,

'persons being deemed to be living with you'. We get it quite a bit in divorce cases where one person has moved out without doing an appropriate transfer. Virgin will usually set them up as a new customer.

Disconnecting and Reconnecting is also a bit different. For instance you can't be eligible for the 'Connect A Friend' offer if you left Virgin in the last six months
How about the 90 days or has that changed again.:)

telfordcable
18-03-2011, 16:35
90 Days ? Not really. It can be done instant!

BenMcr
18-03-2011, 16:40
How about the 90 days or has that changed again.:)Not sure to be honest.

Stephen
18-03-2011, 16:48
90 Days ? Not really. It can be done instant!
No it can't, its in the T&Cs that you can't take up services again for 90 days once you leave.

qasdfdsaq
18-03-2011, 20:40
Interesting. I'm only curious as I'll be moving out soon and taking my service with me, the others remaining in the flat would probably want service of their own.

I see why VM would have this policy but I also see it as being quite easy to potentially circumvent in an HMO.

BenMcr
18-03-2011, 20:51
Interesting. I'm only curious as I'll be moving out soon and taking my service with me, the others remaining in the flat would probably want service of their own..
Your flatmates would have no problem getting services and would be classed as new customers

RobboEdin
19-03-2011, 10:13
Interesting. I'm only curious as I'll be moving out soon and taking my service with me, the others remaining in the flat would probably want service of their own.

I see why VM would have this policy but I also see it as being quite easy to potentially circumvent in an HMO.

Your flatmates would have no problem getting services and would be classed as new customers

Perhaps you would be better convincing your flatmates to take ownership of the contract, perhaps even offering to pay the £20 transfer fee. Would they pass the credit check to become new customers?

You could then become the new customer and get the half price 6 month deal.

qasdfdsaq
19-03-2011, 11:32
Still in my minimum term, so can't do that AFAIK.

BenMcr
19-03-2011, 12:14
Still in my minimum term, so can't do that AFAIK.You can transfer an account at any time, even within minimum term as far as I can remember

As long as those taking over the account have lived in the property for at least 3 months (for credit checking purposes)

Although the transfer process does take a while to do, as it's assumed there is no urgent timescale, such as a house move involved ;)

qasdfdsaq
19-03-2011, 13:08
Hmm, thanks for the info. Looks like things have changed, last I recall I tried doing that a good 5 years ago and they said I couldn't transfer in minimum term - that was when it was still Telewest though :-/