PDA

View Full Version : Car Buying Question

LSainsbury
17-03-2011, 19:47
Hi,

I'm considering buying a car from a main dealer that is 20 miles away. There is a another main dealer closer - about 7 miles away.

Does it matter which dealer I take it back to for servicing or can any main dealer service it?

If I have any faults or issues that are under warranty can I take it to any main dealer?

Peter_
17-03-2011, 19:52
The should be no issue as I have done the same in the past, all the garage does is claim back from the manufacturer.

It was a problem with the exhaust and it was to far to drive to the dealer I bought the car from so I went to the local dealer and 40 minutes later I drove away with a new exhaust fitted.

LSainsbury
17-03-2011, 20:06
Fair enough.

The local dealer didn't give us a good deal so we've gone to another dealer - not completed anything yet - got the finance quote and a test drive on Saturday.

haydnwalker
17-03-2011, 20:12
You can take it to any franchised dealer for warranty work.

You can take it to ANY VAT registered garage for servicing and routine maintenance and it won't affect your warranty. It doesn't have to be main dealer :)

I'm not sure if you can do the same with warranty work though...?

LSainsbury
17-03-2011, 20:20
You can take it to ANY VAT registered garage for servicing and routine maintenance and it won't affect your warranty. It doesn't have to be main dealer :)

Really? I always thought it had to be serviced by the main dealer to keep the warranty.

Chris
17-03-2011, 20:21
Hi,

I'm considering buying a car from a main dealer that is 20 miles away. There is a another main dealer closer - about 7 miles away.

Does it matter which dealer I take it back to for servicing or can any main dealer service it?

If I have any faults or issues that are under warranty can I take it to any main dealer?

The warranty is a third party product underwritten by a company unconnected with the dealership where you bought your car, even if it bears the dealer's name. It may be easier to get warranty work commenced at the dealership where you bought it, but provided you follow the procedures in the warranty handbook, you can get warranty work done at any VAT-registered garage.

As it happens, I'm currently involved in a long and difficult electrical problem with a car bought at a dealership 45 miles away, because they had the car I wanted while the dealership 15 miles away did not. However, given the seriousness of the fault, the dealership I bought it from has been extremely helpful with courtesy cars as and when I need them - a service I would never get if I went to the closest dealer as just another customer requiring repair work.