PDA

View Full Version : Superhub connecting to server problems

jimmyhorns
17-03-2011, 18:01
Dear all

Having just upgraded to 50Mbit virgin from the 10Mb service I am of course annoyed.

I had a perfectly working setup of modem to router to all of my stuff, which worked.

The first problem I have come up against is that I can no longer connect to the webserver on my server to view torrent progress in rtorrent. Im guessing there wont be many people on here that have this set up, but I wondered if any had bright ideas.

I have my windows 7 pc connected to the 'Superhub' via ethernet, as is my linux (ubuntu 10.4) server.

I can access my network shares on the linux server, and file transfer is just as fast as it was prior to the update (about 45Mbytes/sec). So I know that the server and 'superhub' and my computer can all talk to each other.

When I try to SSH into the server, it takes a long time however (using the direct LAN address). connecting via firefox to thw webserver (apache) which serves up rutorrent (a webgui for rtorrent, a bittorrent client for linux) doesnt allow me to connect, with the webgui saying a link cannot be established. This is a little odd, as other directories on the webserver (serving up plain old html) are accessible and browse quickly with no issues.

Nothing has changed apart from the install of the 'superhub', the setup was working 5 minutes prior to the install.

I have restarted everything in the system, so that shouldnt be an issue. I have also disabled the firewall and ipflood on the 'superhub'.

Any thoughts?..

Thanks in advance

James

foddy
17-03-2011, 18:48
When I try to SSH into the server, it takes a long time however (using the direct LAN address). connecting via firefox to thw webserver (apache) which serves up rutorrent (a webgui for rtorrent, a bittorrent client for linux) doesnt allow me to connect, with the webgui saying a link cannot be established. This is a little odd, as other directories on the webserver (serving up plain old html) are accessible and browse quickly with no issues.

Check your DNS settings on the Linux server. It's probably trying to do a reverse-lookup on your IP address and failing - timing out in the case of ssh and the web application dropping the connection.

jimmyhorns
17-03-2011, 23:21
thanks, when I get home from the horrible night shift I will take a look.... what you say makes sense :) if only the superhub did!

Why would it be working with the D-link router I had and not the superhub?..

jimmyhorns
18-03-2011, 15:29
Right, well DNS settings on the server appear fine

1) Host
2) 'superhub' ipaddress.

This is interesting however because it cannot for the life of it resolve any domain names. it seems to be looking in the right place, but cannot find

foddy
18-03-2011, 18:57
It may be that the superhub doesn't forward on DNS requests. Make sure your /etc/resolv.conf file contains:

nameserver 194.168.4.100
nameserver 194.168.8.100

jimmyhorns
18-03-2011, 19:09
well if it doesnt forward on DNS requests, thats yet another thing to add to the list of things this 'super'hub wont do.

Thanks for your help though.... if the man at Virgin is to be believed I will not need the hub after Tuesday :)

qasdfdsaq
18-03-2011, 20:43
It may be that the superhub doesn't forward on DNS requests. Make sure your /etc/resolv.conf file contains:

nameserver 194.168.4.100
nameserver 194.168.8.100

One epic fail if that is true.